Now for something completely different

28 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I prefer to make my own ice coffee  - a shot of espresso, three ice cubes. topped up with milk. 

And how does you making an ice coffee help me.  😉 I do like to make my own as well but that was not the point, it was about stock shortages on particular  products.

When I read about shortages that you guys are experiencing in Oz, I am thankful to be where I am. We never really had much of a problem, only once did we encounter empty shelves of selected items (mostly produce). We are fortunate to have no fewer than 6 major grocery stores within 8 km. of our house and many more between work and home. if one store doesn't have it another probably will.

Things may change again soon though, Canada is requiring that truckers that cross the border to and from the US must be vaccinated...as it turns out many of those truckers don't care to be vaccinated. I have a feeling when the payment is due on their half million dollar rig the free vaccine will seem a small price to pay for being able to work

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 3

Hi Julie

a couple of days ago I got these British Sausages…,having been brought up on sausages and mince in Scotland, I now prefer Small pieces of Eye Fillet..,no kids to feed these days..l have given my husband the sausages two days in a row..,with Heinz bake beans ofcourse..,ugh..ugh.. he loved them!

oh for the cruising days!!

eileen

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

And how does you making an ice coffee help me.  😉 I do like to make my own as well but that was not the point, it was about stock shortages on particular  products.

Just offering an alternative suggestion in case you were having ice coffee withdrawal symptoms. 😊

1 hour ago, Cruisers47 said:

Hi Julie

a couple of days ago I got these British Sausages…,having been brought up on sausages and mince in Scotland, I now prefer Small pieces of Eye Fillet..,no kids to feed these days..l have given my husband the sausages two days in a row..,with Heinz bake beans ofcourse..,ugh..ugh.. he loved them!

oh for the cruising days!!

eileen

They make quite a range of sausages. We just discovered the Lincolnshire pork ones, and the Cumberland pork ones are nice too. Since they changed to the new packaging the standard pork ones aren't as nice as they used to be sadly.

Definitely ugh ugh over sausages and beans. I don't like baked beans with anything other than toast.

I really miss the dining on cruises. So much variety and most of it very decent quality. 

• Like 1

Shopping day Friday, mainly because it's Lotto refresh for the next 4 weeks. Well stocked Freezer, same for Pantry, we use Long Life Milk. About the only shortages needed are Bread, Eggs, and fresh Veges. The arrival of 3 dozen Pirraminna Reds yesterday took the wine stock up to about 10 dozen, and there's most of a Litre of Black Label Johnny and a Litre of Absolut on the dresser, we had our Booster yesterday so we should survive if cruise deprivation doesn't get us first.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So that's okay then 🤔

No, that only came to light after he was taken to a quarantine hotel. Personally, I don't think the government have the intestinal fortitude to deport him.

11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They make quite a range of sausages. We just discovered the Lincolnshire pork ones, and the Cumberland pork ones are nice too. Since they changed to the new packaging the standard pork ones aren't as nice as they used to be sadly.

Definitely ugh ugh over sausages and beans. I don't like baked beans with anything other than toast.

I really miss the dining on cruises. So much variety and most of it very decent quality. 

The Woolworths Cumberland Pork Sausages are very nice, they often have two packs for $15. Nice for brekky two with baked beans, I prefer the SPC beans these days, Heinz are not to my taste, made in NZ like most Heinz (Watties) products. I must try those Lincolnshire Snags.

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

No, that only came to light after he was taken to a quarantine hotel. Personally, I don't think the government have the intestinal fortitude to deport him.

And it has now come to light he may have broken Spanish laws by entering the country while infected (when he should have been in isolation)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Surely some vanilla ice cream in there as well Julie?

Even though it is more breakfast time than dessert time right now, your mention of ice cream brought back fond cruise memories 🙂 The waiters would always give me a little ice-cream 'on the side', no matter what dessert I had. On one trip we had to call a halt as he kept increasing the number of scoops 'on the side' each evening & we were up to 5.

Ah, dining is one of the things I miss most about cruising.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Even though it is more breakfast time than dessert time right now, your mention of ice cream brought back fond cruise memories 🙂 The waiters would always give me a little ice-cream 'on the side', no matter what dessert I had. On one trip we had to call a halt as he kept increasing the number of scoops 'on the side' each evening & we were up to 5.

Ah, dining is one of the things I miss most about cruising.

Yes, miss the cruise dining in the MDR, big table of 8, party every night.  You must be an ice cream aholic like me Neil. I always have 3 tubs in my freezer, at the moment got 2 litres - Bulla Vanilla, Bulla Mint with choc chips and Bulla Vanilla/Boysenberry.  I like the Bulla. I don't mind a tub of Rum and Raisin either, I tip a cap of of Bundy rum on top of it in the bowl, lubbly jubbly. Must be time for an iced coffee with ice cream.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Woolworths had all things I couldn't get at Coles yesterday. Reasonable supplies of toilet paper and paper towels, but a bit low on tissues. Plenty of butter, cream, eggs. Low meat stocks, and also rice but plenty of pasta. None of my favourite milk - it's been hard to get for a couple of weeks at the supermarkets but my greengrocer had it. 

Here's something to cheer you up.  Our restaurant has reopened after a Christmas break and we are planning our first Wine Night of the year.  We have a theme, guest speaker, food & wine pairings and an opportunity to purchase the showcased wines at the end of the night.  I've decided that February's theme will be 'Straya" so we will be looking at some Australian wines.  I'll let you know how the planning progresses.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Here's something to cheer you up.  Our restaurant has reopened after a Christmas break and we are planning our first Wine Night of the year.  We have a theme, guest speaker, food & wine pairings and an opportunity to purchase the showcased wines at the end of the night.  I've decided that February's theme will be 'Straya" so we will be looking at some Australian wines.  I'll let you know how the planning progresses.

Congratulations! That sounds wonderful. The only thing wrong is that we can't all be there. 😁 All the best.

Who is your guest speaker and what is the specific topic?

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Congratulations! That sounds wonderful. The only thing wrong is that we can't all be there. 😁 All the best.

Who is your guest speaker and what is the specific topic?

The guest speaker will be a man we've used several times before from a company that imports and distributes international wines into NZ.  He is a good speaker and very knowledgeable.  He will talk about the wine regions in Australia and talk of the particular wines we choose and the winemakers.  We have regulars who come every time, learn a little about wine, have a taste and order their own to be delivered (if they wish).  In the past, we've focussed on particular winemakers or regions.  We've done a virtual Mediterranean cruise, Marlborough road trip, Hispanic wines, a few particular old wineries...

1 minute ago, onlyslightlymad said:

The guest speaker will be a man we've used several times before from a company that imports and distributes international wines into NZ.  He is a good speaker and very knowledgeable.  He will talk about the wine regions in Australia and talk of the particular wines we choose and the winemakers.  We have regulars who come every time, learn a little about wine, have a taste and order their own to be delivered (if they wish).  In the past, we've focussed on particular winemakers or regions.  We've done a virtual Mediterranean cruise, Marlborough road trip, Hispanic wines, a few particular old wineries...

Sounds fantastic. I am sure it will go well.

• Like 1