Europe may ban visitors until September; Australia through end of the year

Reagan0712

Did anybody read the article?  There are no definite decisions on what dates or what the procedures will be going forward, the article basically says nothing, except that at some unknown time travel will reopen with some unknown procedures.

• Like 5

That, like so many other things right now, depends on the progress medical science makes on both short term and long term treatments.

I expect almost every research lab is working to find some solutions.

We don't plan on any cruises for the balance of the year....if ever.

• Like 3

This has been my concern with making future travel plans.  It is impossible now to simply take a road trip and visit a state park or national landmark.  I talked to my TA this weekend (my sister).  I have avoided telling her I am cancelling my fall cruise as not wanting to add insult to injury but she actually suggested I do and she is an adventurous traveler.   My cruise was to Brazil and I have read less than glowing reports of Brazil's handling of the crisis.  I  also thought an Alaska cruise or a Canadian road trip might be possible but that is not looking promising either.

We have an Australia and New Zealand cruise planned for Christmas. I really hope we can go. It is the kids' last continent and it is getting harder and harder to do long family trips as they transition to high school/college.

1 hour ago, MikeD4134 said:

Did anybody read the article?  There are no definite decisions on what dates or what the procedures will be going forward, the article basically says nothing, except that at some unknown time travel will reopen with some unknown procedures.

What do you mean the article says "nothing"?  The Schengen countries are considering closing their borders until September.  Excuse the double negative, but that's not "nothing."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ski ww said:

And some people think they'll be doing European cruises this summer.

We cancelled ours before final payment. We had already seen that Norway closed some of our ports. We also wondered about our flights to and from London, would they still be flying at the convenient times for us. I guess having a refundable deposit did make the decision easier.

Dave your really missing the point here.  Your reply says nothing, just like the article.  The fact that someone is considering  something does not mean it is going to happen, nor does it mean it is not going to happen, all that it means is possibly something may or may not happen.  There is no information in that article that would be of any use in planning future travel.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, MikeD4134 said:

Dave your really missing the point here.  Your reply says nothing, just like the article.  The fact that someone is considering  something does not mean it is going to happen, nor does it mean it is not going to happen, all that it means is possibly something may or may not happen.  There is no information in that article that would be of any use in planning future travel.

Don't be so dismissive, Mike.  The fact that Schengen countries are considering a closure through September means that this action is on the table for potential action.  If such a closure were off the table, Macron could very easily have said so.  But he said exactly the opposite.  That's "something." 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarathiessen/2020/04/11/europe-borders-may-close-to-september-due-to-us-covid-19-threat/#2c2512b6431f

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

What do you mean the article says "nothing"?  The Schengen countries are considering closing their borders until September.  Excuse the double negative, but that's not "nothing."

The "article" is reporting nothing but opinion. It says "restrictions may remain in place" and "France's president is talking about closure of borders."

A lot of people may do a lot of things and many people are talking about a lot of things. Until action is taken, it amounts to nothing.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TN Fem said:

We have an Australia and New Zealand cruise planned for Christmas. I really hope we can go. It is the kids' last continent and it is getting harder and harder to do long family trips as they transition to high school/college.

New Zealand has closed its boarders to visitors.  Any one arriving now must spend time in a managed quarantine facility, not quarantine at home.  Australia is not exactly friendly with cruise ships at the moment.

1 hour ago, HAL4NOW said:

The "article" is reporting nothing but opinion. It says "restrictions may remain in place" and "France's president is talking about closure of borders."

A lot of people may do a lot of things and many people are talking about a lot of things. Until action is taken, it amounts to nothing.

Remember our leaders all talked about the US going to close borders and ban travel.  That talk then became a reality.  Same for when stay at home orders went into place.  First they talked about how to implement then it was done.  

I think the talk these countries are having per this article is their way of preparing people just as was done with other other phases of lockdown.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Don't be so dismissive, Mike.  The fact that Schengen countries are considering a closure through September means that this action is on the table for potential action.  If such a closure were off the table, Macron could very easily have said so.  But he said exactly the opposite.  That's "something." 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarathiessen/2020/04/11/europe-borders-may-close-to-september-due-to-us-covid-19-threat/#2c2512b6431f

Totally agree that Macron bringing it up means it is being considered.  Maybe I should have put the “if” in my original post in capital letters to make it clear to some people that a decision had not been made. Something I gleaned when I, in fact, did read the article.

Here in New Zealand,borders are closed to all except returning NZ citizens,and they are subject to a mandatory 14 day quarantine.Our government has hinted that these measures will be in force until a vaccine is developed.

The country is in the third week of a four week, minimum,lockdown.

Sources in our travel industry expect it could be several years before we get back to overseas travelling as in the past,subject to a vaccine.

So,don’t get your hopes up about cruising any time soon.

• Like 1

With the criminal investigation into the handling of the Ruby Princess (responsible for 10% of known Covid-19 cases in Australia, and a large percentage of deaths) expected to take around 6 months, don't expect any Aus/NZ cruises to happen any time soon.

From the Australian trade minister (Simon Birmingham) just now, in response to reports that "more people are booking cruises now than before the virus":

I would say to Australians that now is not a time to be making bookings for travel unless you have an iron clad insurance policy, because we cannot guarantee when you will be able to undertake that travel, that clearly areas that have been proven to be higher risk are likely to be some of the last areas where that travel is permitted again.”

Birmingham says cruise travel would likely be “very last thing that is reactivated again, given the difficulties Australia has faced with the cruise sector so far”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

It is indeed something.  I have a friend in Europe who I was “talking” to just the other day and he said they have been told not to make any holiday plans for visiting anywhere in Europe until at least September.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We cancelled ours before final payment. We had already seen that Norway closed some of our ports. We also wondered about our flights to and from London, would they still be flying at the convenient times for us. I guess having a refundable deposit did make the decision easier.

I just looked at my (former) roll call. We had cancelled because as I said we wondered if our cruise would have ports and if our flights would still be practical. Yet someone just joined the roll call saying they had just booked. BTW, it was their first post on cruisecritic.