Phases of re-opening American Economy

2 minutes ago, Coopdog08 said:

Does anyone really understand how these guidelines and phases work? Sure I understand the fine print, like most, but nobody knows what numerical numbers need to be hit to get from one phase to the next. Improved testing, what is that?  A 5% increase based off what you are completing now, which is minimal. A 14 day downward trend? Does this mean NY achieves that when they go from 7-10k daily, recent results, to 14 days of achieving 4500 new cases? So vague, the way I look at it, the governors will just determine based on there own thoughts. If anyone can explain how it actually works I would love to hear.

I don't think there are numbers, it's up to each governor.  Calif says not this year, no one can change it. Doesnt matter how many or few cases. 

11 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Perhaps, since cruise lines won't receive any bailout money but still employ lots of Americans, they could suspend PVSA, temporarily, and allow cruises along the up and down either coast as well as cruises to nowhere.  

Conceptually, they could. But that depends on a sympathetic legislature. Not sure whether that's the case.

3 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Assuming, there is a second wave in the fall, the virus doesn't disappear ever like SARS and MERS and assuming that Phase 3 is as good as it gets for the next couple of years until a vaccine is fully developed and modified to changes, what you and others here are suggesting is that coronavirus is the death of cruising for anyone.  And alas, that means these boards.

Hmm. Don't think I suggested that.

All I've said is what the limitations imposed by your Government, as it stands. That neither means it cannot be modified, as it has been umpteen times to date, or have variations that comply like I already mentioned. Plus this regulation does not apply outside US waters so even taking that extreme case, it's still possible for cruises to operate elsewhere, potentially.

So that's far from meaning the death of cruising for anyone. Let alone these boards.

1 hour ago, Lady Hudson said:

I hear you about delivery times.  But home delivery from many stores for us has been wonderful.  No going out for us.  We have learned now to anticipate our needs and order early.   I think it is just that Amazon is overwhelmed with orders not that they are trying to pull a fast one.

I have tried to tip delivery people and most will not accept anything.  They are working very hard to bring us all that we need.  My earlier opinion about Amazon was some sadness — that retailers were being put out of business.  But now I think “What would we have done without them?” during this pandemic.  IMHO.   Katherine

I guess the delivery people don't want to handle cash? Understandable. My wife cringes every time I bring the mail in.

I wonder if people and business will continue to embrace the home delivery of groceries  or curbside pickup in a post-COVID19 world. I know it was always there but underutilized. Wonder how popular it will be going forward. 

Many of the grocery stores in my area have made the aisles one-way. So if I forget to pick up an item in Aisle 1, I have to walk thru 20+ more aisles before I can circle back to get it.  I hope that does not last.

As for Amazon, I agree, they are just overwhelmed, plus having to train 150,000 new workers. Plus, I believe they are prioritizing some items over others for shipment, i.e. health care related products before puzzle games. Stuff like that.

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yes they say that's what Taiwan did right we didnt.

How much larger population wise is the U.S. than Taiwan?  Plus Taiwan is very densely populated. 

Was there ever 330+million tests available? Could we have gotten that many tests together by mid March when the first of these cases were happening? 

As an example, how many months in advance of flu season are flu vaccines prepared?  Same applies to testing.

I agree that it appears testing was slow to come about in the U.S.  But then no one had an inkling of the severity.  Even the WHO and CDC were saying in mid March it wasn't transmitting by mere contact or that just a sneeze propellent landing on your face or skin from 10 feet away could give it to you. Nor did even it lingered on surfaces for days. That's how little we knew about the virus/disease then, and still learning.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lionheart said:

some GOV, it seems, enjoy restricting movement  and have other motives to keep things closed. NOV 2020, oh look economy sucks, 2021 wow the economy is booming compared to 2020

Oh wow. That is so dark but believable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Many of the grocery stores in my area have made the aisles one-way. So if I forget to pick up an item in Aisle 1, I have to walk thru 20+ more aisles before I can circle back to get it.  I hope that does not last.

I was in Stop and Shop yesterday. They had it set up so stupid that I walked out. The lines for check out were running down the aisles and the lines were long. It made it impossible to shop down those asiles. Had the customers been keeping even a four foot distance it might not have been a problem. However, they were lined up ass to shopping cart all the way down blocking the shelves.  Other stores are doing the same one way aisles but check out lines run across the front of the store and they control each check out like they do at the bank.

I am not sure if it was true and correct as I take with a grain of salt most things I read online, but i saw something that said that each phase would take a min. of 14 days before you could proceed as long as there is no sign of a new surge of positive tests during that phase.     So if that is true it could take approx. 2 months to be in phase 3.   I don't see it happening that quick but I found it interesting and thought I would share.

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

I remember and looked forward to bottles of milk being delivered to our house...getting old...but those were the good old days.

Too young to remember milk delivery buI remember looking forward to getting a huge tin can of potato chips delivered by Charles Chips.  And that had to last to the next delivery. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am not sure if it was true and correct as I take with a grain of salt most things I read online, but i saw something that said that each phase would take a min. of 14 days before you could proceed as long as there is no sign of a new surge of positive tests during that phase.     So if that is true it could take approx. 2 months to be in phase 3.   I don't see it happening that quick but I found it interesting and thought I would share.

Yes, that's the general guidelines. 

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Even dog food is becoming an issue.

The one thing we hoarded (and by hoarded I mean bought a one week supply with two weeks backup) was dog food. If thing get really bad my wife and I may starve, but the dogs will be fine. At least we don't have cats. The groceries in my mom's town are out of the one brand her cats will eat. They are in the middle of a hunger strike. Apparently it's not pleasant 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Too young to remember milk delivery buI remember looking forward to getting a huge tin can of potato chips delivered by Charles Chips.  And that had to last to the next delivery. 

Those were sooooo good. I think they deep friend them in lard or something. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Those were sooooo good. I think they deep friend them in lard or something. 

Oh I so miss charlie chips.   I loved when that delivery men pulled up in his charlie chip truck.   

We used to get milk, eggs and juice delivered every week like clock work.    I was born in 1966 and i think we had this service till late 70's.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

I remember and looked forward to bottles of milk being delivered to our house...getting old...but those were the good old days.

We had the milkman, the Charles Chip man and the Dugan man who delivered bread, cake and pastry. 

• Like 1

I think cruising falls into a really special bucket.

Bars/restaurants/schools/work etc. are LOCAL.  You don't travel thru airports to new city / country and then if get sick stranded and often quarantined... big difference

Cruising wont' begin or be viable until international travel is allowed with NO mandatory quarantine as well as large sport spectator gatherings, till those two are allowed can cruising begin.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Charles Chips in the metal tin were the best!!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

What's the Dugan man? Where on LI was that?

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

What's the Dugan man? Where on LI was that?

Dugan's was baked goods like Entenmann's that delivered to the house. I grew up in Massapequa  but I think they were located some place in Commack. I was about 5 when they would deliver. I don't think they lasted pasted the 60's.

dugan.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Dugan's was baked goods like Entenmann's that delivered to the house. I grew up in Massapequa  but I think they were located some place in Commack. I was about 5 when they would deliver. I don't think they lasted pasted the 60's.

dugan.jpeg

Very cool,I don't remember that. In the 60's I was in the Woodmere/Valley Stream area. I do remember soda delivery in the glass bottles from Cotts and Hoffmans. 

13 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Very cool,I don't remember that. In the 60's I was in the Woodmere/Valley Stream area. I do remember soda delivery in the glass bottles from Cotts and Hoffmans. 

I remember that too. 

21 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Own a Ford Expedition and a 74 Chevelle, gas at $1.05, same price I paid 10, 20, 30 and 40yrs ago and cant even Drive now to enjoy cheap prices

Where do you live that has gas for $1.05?  Cheapest I've seen in my area is $1.86.

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2020 at 9:40 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

And are cruise ships going to allow boarding to residents of states who aren’t yet in phase 3? What about non US citizens?

That is going to be the big issue with cruising.

• Like 3

On 4/16/2020 at 10:57 PM, Jimbo said:

Might be best if we ever want to get on the water again is to charter a yacht for a week? Anyone have any idea what it would cost for a week?

The one in Below Deck Sailing Yacht goes for $200,000 to $250,000 per week. 

Plus gratuities.  And the few I have seen seem to give $12,000 - $20,000 gratuity for the week.  But the good news is, the grats are equally shared by all the crew, including the captain. 😄

• Haha 1