Less than 70 days until Princess resumes cruising !

voljeep

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

I will certainly NOT take a cruise knowing I have/should be wearing a mask 'anytime' we are out of our cabin … not happening

They are not very comfortable either (for extended periods of time) 

I don’t think It’s a reasonable ask for vacation 

1 hour ago, spyro1952 said:

Cruise lines are bleeding money right now with estimates of > 5 mil a day.  They are intentionally keeping quiet about resuming operations because there are still people giving them $$ and keeping them somewhat solvent.  They may resume service but only be able to sail with ships 60% full, no use of inside cabins, limited buffets, and dining rooms arranged for social distancing.  Can they still make $$ under these conditions?  Probably not. 
What about predicted 2nd wave of virus 🦠 in fall?  Cruise lines may come back for  a short while but eventually will all go bankrupt.

Drew Scanlon (White Guy Blinking) GIF Compilation - GIFs - Imgur

this osmosis thing is really working for you. 

Edited by c-boy

Have any of you seen this information below?  We are booked on a 7 day CA  coastal 9-26 and for us this takes the edge off.  From the Princess website:

Making It Easier to Change Plans — Cruise with Confidence

Temporary cancellation & final payment policies for cruises and cruisetours departing between July and October 15, 2020

We have temporarily revised our final payment dates and cancellation policies for voyages through October 15, 2020. As always, any payments made prior to the final payment date are refundable to you in the original method of payment**. We have new policies handling cancellations and refunds after the final payment date.

On cruises sailing before July 31, 2020, you can cancel up to 48 hours before you sail and receive a Future Cruise Credit* for any cancellation fees and a refund of additional funds received to the original payment method. See our standard cancellation policies for more details.

On cruises sailing August 1 through October 15, 2020, you can cancel up to 30 days before you sail and receive a Future Cruise Credit for any cancellation fees and a refund of additional funds received to the original payment method. See our standard cancellation policies for more details.

If you have purchased Princess Vacation Protection, your refunds for covered cancellation reasons will continue to be governed by Princess Vacation Protection. Please review the plan coverage, conditions and exclusions for full details. Princess Vacation Protection is available to residents of the U.S. and Canada (except Quebec and Puerto Rico).

Our Policies in a Nutshell

Cruise or cruisetour begins between Your final payment due date Cancel By
July 1 – July 31, 2020 60 days before departure^ 48 hours before departure
August 1 – October 15, 2020 60 days before departure^ 30 days before departure

*A Future Cruise Credit is like a voucher for a vacation at a later date, the promise of another adventure at sea.

**For guests in the UK, deposits will be refunded in the form of a Future Cruise Credit (FCC).

^Please refer to our standard cancellation and refund policies.

• Thanks 1

@AF-1

I would think the cancellations policy in post 53; will remain in effect thru end of this year and maybe into next.

I would think so too BUT how difficult would it be for Princess to make that statement?

If they would be that definitive I would happily pay the Final Payments when they become due.

Edited by casofilia

I think for now they are doing 6 months at a time, which would bring us to October;  then they can adjust dates after that.  Right now I have a Med cruise book which leaves Southampton on 27 Oct

On 4/27/2020 at 4:51 PM, Paula_MacFan said:

We have a September cruise booked with final payment due in June.  I am HIGHLY doubtful that will sail as some of the countries we are scheduled to visit have already cancelled events for September.

The way things are now how could you do these things with any semblance of social distancing:

• Embarkation
  • Muster drill
  • Dining
  • Entertainment
  • Tender process
  • Disembarkation

I can't imagine how you could be 6 feet away from anyone during any of those activities.  And there is no way there will be a vaccine in 70 days.  I am very disappointed because our trip has been planned for 2 years (!) but I don't see how it's possible in September, let alone 70 days.

Agreed on all of that. But arguably the toughest point for the cruise lines to fix: The corridors. 

I invite everyone on CC to think back to their last cruise. You got up in the morning, headed toward the stairs or elevator ...  after breakfast you walked to the gym or the pool, or maybe to an upper deck to watch the waves ... later you walked back to the cabin, or maybe the shops, the library or the guest services desk ...

We haven't even gotten to lunchtime yet, and already we've been hiking along plenty of interior corridors. Narrow ones. Did we pass anyone?  My memory is that I surely did on most mornings. Sometimes it was staff wheeling vacuums or carrying trays, other times it was other passengers. Either way, it meant pressing myself up toward the side - and usually trying to time the passing for a section of hallway with doorways, so we could each get a few extra inches of space to let the other pass. 

Six feet of passing space? Try two, maybe three. 

Even the atrium gets packed like the sidewalk along a Mardi Gras parade route on formal nights with the photographers, or right as tenders return. The widest walkways past the shops got pretty claustrophobic during jewelry sales,  major promotions or during the final night's sales.

Gets worse when you add in passengers on carts, or passengers carrying bags, or extremely large passengers. Or crew wheeling cleaning carts or other equipment.

It will be interesting to see how the cruise lines deal with this infrastructure/design that's suddenly become problematic because of the coronavirus. Even if you cut the passenger roster by 50 percent, you'll still have people passing in corridors, and cross-flows of pedestrian traffic when shows get out or dinner hour approaches. 

On this matter, the cruise lines deserve sympathy - through absolutely no fault of their own, the layout of even their newest ships begins to look unworkable and unwieldy. 

Edited by EscapeFromConnecticut
  • Like 2

My Alaska cruise this summer is cancelled. In fact I'm just going to take a hiatus this year from vacay and it's killing me. But it's just not worth it to go anywhere and worry so much. Especially on an airline. So I'll do a staycation. I'm sure my dogs will be happy. They hate it when they see us packing our suitcases. 

9 hours ago, spyro1952 said:

They may resume service but only be able to sail with ships 60% full, no use of inside cabins, limited buffets, and dining rooms arranged for social distancing.  . 

Beautifully copied from Cruise Passenger magazine.

As if cruise companies could operate under these conditions.

• Like 2

How do any of you think that the cruise lines are going to stop doing business for 8 months and still be there in January of 2021. If they are all not allowed to start cruising long before that then there will be no cruise lines left to cruise aboard. How is it possible for the cruise industry to incur all of the costs associated with cancellations, refunds, storing and maintaining the ships, paying their necessary employees, repatriating thousands of employees, continuing insurance, possibly having to make costly settlements on contracts not fulfilled, dealing with a multitude of lawsuits, etc, etc, etc. How long would any of you last if you had no income for 8 months but had continuing outgo for rent, food, utilities, medical expenses, various payments, and basic upkeep? Well, it's no different for a company. And, just realize, since all of the cruise lines operate under foreign flags they are not eligible for any assistance from the American government that other transportation companies like airlines are eligible for. The airlines advised that they could not last more than 3 or4  weeks without income otherwise they may have to declare bankruptcy. How is it any different for the cruise lines? Since this Covid-19 thing has not even approached the amount of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths that are caused by the common flu every winter in the United States, doesn't it make everyone wonder why we shut down the country, destroyed our economy, and brought disaster to many of the 330 million citizens in this country? 

32 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

How do any of you think that the cruise lines are going to stop doing business for 8 months and still be there in January of 2021. If they are all not allowed to start cruising long before that then there will be no cruise lines left to cruise aboard. How is it possible for the cruise industry to incur all of the costs associated with cancellations, refunds, storing and maintaining the ships, paying their necessary employees, repatriating thousands of employees, continuing insurance, possibly having to make costly settlements on contracts not fulfilled, dealing with a multitude of lawsuits, etc, etc, etc. How long would any of you last if you had no income for 8 months but had continuing outgo for rent, food, utilities, medical expenses, various payments, and basic upkeep? Well, it's no different for a company. And, just realize, since all of the cruise lines operate under foreign flags they are not eligible for any assistance from the American government that other transportation companies like airlines are eligible for. The airlines advised that they could not last more than 3 or4  weeks without income otherwise they may have to declare bankruptcy. How is it any different for the cruise lines? Since this Covid-19 thing has not even approached the amount of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths that are caused by the common flu every winter in the United States, doesn't it make everyone wonder why we shut down the country, destroyed our economy, and brought disaster to many of the 330 million citizens in this country? 

60,000 deaths in 12 weeks is more drastic then the death total from the common flus plus 50% of US citizens do not get the flu shot so please can we stop with the comparisons.  And I do not have to quarantine because of the flu.  The death total is still climbing rapidly and nowhere in sight of stopping yet.  As of today,  more people have died in the US because of COVID-19 then all the servicemen and women we lost in Viet Nam.

So what if the cruise lines fail......there will be someone there to pick up the pieces and it will become a new business model I am sure.....that is the way capitalism works. Because of the way Princess (and some of the other cruise lines too) has been treating its 1,000's of passengers who they owe money to,  I really could care less now if they are around or not.  

I see you are from Florida so maybe Floridians have more of an invested interest in the foreign cruise lines surviving as we know them.  I think the cruise lines are going to have a very difficult time getting people to cruise with all the restrictions that it will require.  It will just be too much of a hassle.

It will be much easier to do land based stays than cruising in the foreseeable future and you  know mega resorts everywhere are going to  be offering some awesome deals for longterm stays.  At least for those who still have money to vacation and travel with after this is all over.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2

On 4/27/2020 at 1:17 PM, casofilia said:

Princess needs to make some decisions NOW for the rest of this year..  Surely we are entitled to some consideration; keep us informed.  Stop treating us like mushrooms.

Princess can't make any final determinations until the government finalizes any plans that will come out of this situation. They can speculate on what they think might be the final plans but that's all it would be and might have to be thrown out if their (Princesses' guesses) aren't spot on.  What would be the sense of putting out what would be only guesses? That's not keeping cruisers informed in the least.

Tom

On 4/27/2020 at 9:16 AM, voljeep said:

how realistic is that given the current circumstances ?  

'another' 60 day 'pause' coming up to extend that date to 9/1 ?

Noooo!! I'm supposed to fly to Copenhagen September 2nd for a September 4th cruise!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

Watch this. There are also many other videos of doctors in the field, in ICUs, Emergency Rooms, Clinics, that are stating the same thing as Dr. Buttar is.

hang on … need to grab my face mask and tinfoil hat 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

60,000 deaths in 12 weeks is more drastic then the death total from the common flus plus 50% of US citizens do not get the flu shot so please can we stop with the comparisons.  And I do not have to quarantine because of the flu.  The death total is still climbing rapidly and nowhere in sight of stopping yet.  As of today,  more people have died in the US because of COVID-19 then all the servicemen and women we lost in Viet Nam.

So what if the cruise lines fail......there will be someone there to pick up the pieces and it will become a new business model I am sure.....that is the way capitalism works. Because of the way Princess (and some of the other cruise lines too) has been treating its 1,000's of passengers who they owe money to,  I really could care less now if they are around or not.  

I see you are from Florida so maybe Floridians have more of an invested interest in the foreign cruise lines surviving as we know them.  I think the cruise lines are going to have a very difficult time getting people to cruise with all the restrictions that it will require.  It will just be too much of a hassle.

It will be much easier to do land based stays than cruising in the foreseeable future and you  know mega resorts everywhere are going to  be offering some awesome deals for longterm stays.  At least for those who still have money to vacation and travel with after this is all over.

I totally agree with your post.  I am also from Fl and know exact where the OP gets the fake flu rhetoric from.

Many people are relatively new to cruising and don’t remember all the cruise lines that have gone under over the years for things that were a lot less impactful than a global pandemic.  US cruise lines, Home lines, Italian Lines are some that even in a good economy shut down.  Cruise lines don’t make money on passenger cruise fares.  They make money with a full ship and all the money on board purchases.

50 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

Watch this. There are also many other videos of doctors in the field, in ICUs, Emergency Rooms, Clinics, that are stating the same thing as Dr. Buttar is.

Let me go take my hydrocloraquin before I watch this.  I’ll get a glass of Clorox to sip on too 🤪

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Floridastorm said:

Wish I could but it is time for my Pine-Sol injection......I am sure it is rubbish because there are a lot of quack doctors out there saying all kinds of things but it does not change the fact that it is COVID-19 not the seasonal flu and it is deadly....but believe what you want to believe.

• Like 3

Omg! Makes me think of my dad. He is every Conspiracy theorist’s dream!! 
I’m off to drink Clorox and get that pinesol injection with others from CC

oh, I’m kidding, in case someone actually thought I would do that

Edited by jennybenny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Princess would need to step it up in a big way and cruises of the past are a thing of the past.  I just saw a posting several days ago on a respected news magazine site that Royal Caribbean has applied for a patent for RC branded face masks that passengers will need to wear when cruising. 

WHOA- I never expected this conversation to be HERE...

Here's the thing-  we are in the MIDDLE of a pandemic.  Stats and numbers are still be collected.  It's far too premature to analyze them and produce conclusions.  RESEARCH TAKES A LONG TIME!  We, as Americans, like everything quick.  We want our answers.  We also hate any type of restriction.  This current environment is going against the grain for most of us.  People are not on their A game.  It's going to take some time before we can properly research, find ways to detect, treat and prevent Covid-19. Any report you are seeing right now is DRAFT without peer review.  There have been NO CONCLUSIONS.  I hate it too!  

• Thanks 1