NCL BROKE MY HEART

My husband and I have been loyal NCL Latitudes Members having taken more than 10 voyages with them. They were our cruiseline of choice, we always went to their site first when deciding to cruise. We loved sailing with NCL. We last took a cruise from NY to Bermuda in October 2019 and scheduled an Alaskan cruise from Seattle on May 2 through May 9th 2020. When the Covid19 pandemic began we contacted our NCL cruise consultant in early March. He assured us falsely that there was no reason for concern. When we heard via media that Dr. Fauci was suggesting people not cruise during this time we affirmatively contacted same NCL cruise consultant about our concerns as we are within the senior population. Our concerns were met with a deaf ear and our payment was not returned. Follow-up with NCL stated that they are holding our payment for future cruises under a "peace of mind" guarantee. Despite the fact that NCL finally "got onboard" and cancelled the cruise due to the pandemic, they continue to refuse to refund our payment. By this posture NCL has shown two loyal customers that they have no concern for our physical or financial health. On our last cruise we purchased $1,000.00 worth of future cruise credits and encouraged family cruising with us to do the same. This money is in NCL's hands and we are not asking for that to be returned. However, their refusal to return the balance paid in full for a cruise that never sailed is unconscionable!
gGPRzHuW8qT.pngLike
Comment

• Like 5

Hello new poster, welcome to CC. If you cancelled the cruise on your own under the peace of mind policy, then only FCCs. If you did not do anything, NCL cancelled the cruise - you get the option of doing a total refund back to the payment method you paid with. The link is on the site for a refund, but it is only if NCL cancelled it, not by you. When you called back in March, did you already cancelled this May cruise? If you chosen to cancelled it, at least you had the "peace of mind".

12 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Did you cancel your cruise on your own before they did? 

Definitely will make a difference on whether you receive a refund or FCC.  Many have had similar complaints about rules changing once NCL canceled their cruise they themselves canceled earlier using the POM program.  You are entitled to what the rules were at the time you canceled.  If NCL canceled, then you are entitled to what their rules were for that circumstance.  

• Like 1

Wow. As a veteran cruiser with 10 cruises I’m surprised that you didn’t know the refund policy. Did you just now open cruise critic to read any of these posts? You haven’t said yet whether or not you cancelled the cruise. That makes all the difference.  If you want to give away any of those cruise certificates I’ll be more than happy to take them.

• Like 4

Notice the original poster never responded. There were plenty of other refund threads with similar situations but the OP never read any of them obviously. If Kathy cancelled her cruise on her own it was done. She no longer had a cruise booked to be issued a refund to even if a few days later. Live and learn .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder how you are a member since 2017 yet your first post is in 2020.  Just odd.

Really dramatic headline.  We are suffering through a deadly pandemic. If you are suffering from a broken heart consider yourself blessed and lucky.

I love how people always preface their posts how loyal they are to a specific brand as if a corporation cares for them like a human being.  Then when economic changes happen they take it personal as if their loyalty should put them above other customers.  Pardon the pun but there are thousands of people in the same boat.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I wonder how you are a member since 2017 yet your first post is in 2020.  Just odd.

It’s not that common here, but it does happen that people create an account, lurk or forget they had the account, and don’t post for a long time. I’ve seen a few instances of this. 

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

It’s not that common here, but it does happen that people create an account, lurk or forget they had the account, and don’t post for a long time. I’ve seen a few instances of this. 

Yes I have seen some posts lately, I find odd/suspicious.  Especially the posts about some obscure cruising subject that ask a lot of questions to elicit responses.  aka example - "are the pina colda's good at the bar across the street in cozumel"  (nobody is cruising, so why would anyone ask something like that now?, just odd is all)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newleno said:

Yes I have seen some posts lately, I find odd/suspicious.  Especially the posts about some obscure cruising subject that ask a lot of questions to elicit responses.  aka example - "are the pina colda's good at the bar across the street in cozumel"  (nobody is cruising, so why would anyone ask something like that now?, just odd is all)

Well I want a pina colada!

• Haha 2

On 5/5/2020 at 6:49 PM, Kathy DelGaudio said:
My husband and I have been loyal NCL Latitudes Members having taken more than 10 voyages with them. They were our cruiseline of choice, we always went to their site first when deciding to cruise. We loved sailing with NCL. We last took a cruise from NY to Bermuda in October 2019 and scheduled an Alaskan cruise from Seattle on May 2 through May 9th 2020. When the Covid19 pandemic began we contacted our NCL cruise consultant in early March. He assured us falsely that there was no reason for concern. When we heard via media that Dr. Fauci was suggesting people not cruise during this time we affirmatively contacted same NCL cruise consultant about our concerns as we are within the senior population. Our concerns were met with a deaf ear and our payment was not returned. Follow-up with NCL stated that they are holding our payment for future cruises under a "peace of mind" guarantee. Despite the fact that NCL finally "got onboard" and cancelled the cruise due to the pandemic, they continue to refuse to refund our payment. By this posture NCL has shown two loyal customers that they have no concern for our physical or financial health. On our last cruise we purchased $1,000.00 worth of future cruise credits and encouraged family cruising with us to do the same. This money is in NCL's hands and we are not asking for that to be returned. However, their refusal to return the balance paid in full for a cruise that never sailed is unconscionable!
gGPRzHuW8qT.pngLike
Comment

What NCL did was disgusting and wrong, don't let the "NCL can do no wrong" crowd make you feel bad. They would side with NCL even if NCL made children and elderly people walk the plank. Most of them are stock holders and carry water for NCL no matter what. It is best to ignore them. There are cruise lines out there that know how to treat their customers decently, it is probably better to spend your hard earned money with them next time. Good luck to you in the future.

Edited by skywonder
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, ourfamilylovescruising said:

all cruise lines are doing the same if you canceled you get the credit if they cancel you get an option.

Even if they ultimately canceled the cruise anyway? Seems like a ***** technicality during a global pandemic, especially if the reason they are canceling has to do with said pandemic which, ultimately, is why the whole thing was canceled on both ends. It's nonsense. I'm with the OP.

8 hours ago, skywonder said:

What NCL did was disgusting and wrong, don't let the "NCL can do no wrong" crowd make you feel bad. They would side with NCL even if NCL made children and elderly people walk the plank. Most of them are stock holders and carry water for NCL no matter what. It is best to ignore them. There are cruise lines out there that know how to treat their customers decently, it is probably better to spend your hard earned money with them next time. Good luck to you in the future.

Of course.  Leaves more chairs empty around the pool, less waiting for elevators, and the ship is a lot quieter after the children and elderly become shark bait.  Win, win for us middle aged NCL fans. 

• Haha 1

I will throw in my 2 cents. We have only sailed NCL since 2009, not because we are or were loyal to them but because we liked the itineraries and the prices, but we never deluded ourselves into believing they care for us. Is a business, plain and simple. Before this pandemic thing we were starting to look into other cruise lines, Celebrity and Royal for the itineraries. Having faith in a cruise line thinking they appreciate your business is like getting attached to a job and an employer these days. Go on a cruise, have fun, leave, the end.

• Like 1