Cuisings New Normal

I usually don't worry about most things until they happen. But, now I am beginning to wonder if much of the fun in cruising will be removed with these newest health concerns and will these new fun killing policies be permanent.

When cruising again starts up are we going to see; no more buffet and 'social distancing' which are the first two to come to mind.

Anyone else have some things that they might think of?

Here are some impacts I believe we could see:

* No self serve on buffets - employees dish food to you. (This will also cut way back on Norovirus!)

* Enforced check in arrival time windows (tough one - plane arrivals are not under our control) or at least metered admission to the check in and waiting areas. May need to have later sailing times to allow for extra time.

* More intensive health screening as well at check in

* slower exit from the ship at ports 

* slower tendering 

* lower capacity in all public areas - longer waits for dining rooms, shows full at 50% seating

* lower capacity at bars - harder to get a drink. wait in a line for space in a bar?

* lower capacity around pools - maybe check in and out for chairs so they can sanitize in between and prevent all day hogs?

3 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

lower capacity at bars - harder to get a drink. wait in a line for space in a bar?

I can't see having ANYONE at any bar area. That's too many people touching things. What would make more sense is only waiter service for bar drinks. I can't see having people linger at a bar counter anymore. 

A huge volume of drinks happens at the bar - mostly by walk up and wait, or walk up and sit for a short while. If they also reduce capacity in all sitting areas by 50%, their capacity to deliver drinks could be at 25% of normal. People will revolt over inability to get drinks with prepaid packages.  Daytime will be bad; Evening will be simply impossible. I am thinking about Breakway. Evening you basically have the Atrium, O'Sheehan's, Maltings and Shakers.  Imagine a limit of 50 in each of the first two areas, and 25 in each of the second two.  YIKES

Nothing will change in the long term.  There will be over the top precautions as this slowly fades into the new normal.  Eventually this story will lose its shock factor as the curve hits its low point, a new crisis will come and the 24/7 media will follow it instead.

• Like 8

The new normal itself will be just short term, nobody expects social distancing and masks forever. Plagues have come and go forever and this one itself has been a pretty light one. Yes some cruises will have everyone with masks and annoying rules but I wouldnt expect it to last more than a year

• Like 3

I don’t think cruise ship will be sailing at full capacity for at least a year. Lots of people will stay away. So it will be kind of nice cruising without packed shoulder to shoulder pools and bars. 

• Like 6

Actually, I don't see cruises happening until there is a vaccine.  And the reason, just what you said.  If a cruise had all the assumed presently required restrictions, that's not a cruise.  I guess we all cruise for different reasons.  For us, it is the ultimate relaxed totally fun experience we have always experienced.  Until cruises can return to the past experience, vaccine required I guess, we would not enjoy them..would look for something else.  

• Like 2

After 9/11 everyone was up in arms about questions like "How will we ever be able to fly again?"  Guess what? We figured out a way to do it safely and securely.  Same thing will happen with cruising.

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, pinkie60 said:

I don’t think cruise ship will be sailing at full capacity for at least a year. Lots of people will stay away. So it will be kind of nice cruising without packed shoulder to shoulder pools and bars. 

The more I think about it, to achieve the lower density in all the public areas I think this is necessary.  Ships all sailing at somewhere between 50% and 75% occupancy.  It might be more enjoyable if not for the annoying parts.

This means everyone booked gets letters asking if they will accept a FCC to rebook... and if not enough take it... like airline bumping perhaps...

I do think there will be some long term changes.  And I believe more drastic measure for the short term will be easily until mid 2021, to weather the next winter.

Other than more hand-washing stations (which was already happening) and crew service in the buffer (also just a good idea), there won't be much of a 'new normal' because people just won't put up with it.

Everyone cruising will be aware of the risks as they are with all the traditional cruise risks and aren't going to change otherwise normal behavior to satisfy people who probably aren't even there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lupush said:

After 9/11 everyone was up in arms about questions like "How will we ever be able to fly again?"  Guess what? We figured out a way to do it safely and securely.  Same thing will happen with cruising.

9/11 ain't no COVID-19 😉

Diehard cruisers will go with whatever restrictions. The general public may or may not return after a vacccine and no restrictions.

3 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

Just remember to write a review every time so the cautious like me can enjoy your experience from land.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Here are some impacts I believe we could see:

* No self serve on buffets - employees dish food to you. (This will also cut way back on Norovirus!)

* Enforced check in arrival time windows (tough one - plane arrivals are not under our control) or at least metered admission to the check in and waiting areas. May need to have later sailing times to allow for extra time.

* More intensive health screening as well at check in

* slower exit from the ship at ports 

* slower tendering 

* lower capacity in all public areas - longer waits for dining rooms, shows full at 50% seating

* lower capacity at bars - harder to get a drink. wait in a line for space in a bar?

* lower capacity around pools - maybe check in and out for chairs so they can sanitize in between and prevent all day hogs?

This would really impact the overall cruise experience and if they do half of this, I'll cruise much less often and start going to All Inclusive resorts during the winter and do land tours in the summer. 

I hope this sort of thing doesn't happen but I fear cruising as we knew it is gone forever

29 minutes ago, dns65 said:

This would really impact the overall cruise experience and if they do half of this, I'll cruise much less often and start going to All Inclusive resorts during the winter and do land tours in the summer. 

I hope this sort of thing doesn't happen but I fear cruising as we knew it is gone forever

I think it gone for at least a few years until we see if the virus behaves like the flu and mutates every year, or if one vaccine proves effective eventually.

I predict cruising demand will be lower and the primary market, which is also full of high-risk people, will change to people who are younger, healthier, and risk takers.  Imagine if cruises were priced according to your health risk...there's a new dystopia for you.

4 hours ago, Lupush said:

Flying is a necessity for most travelers, not a voluntary luxury.  And it is not a pleasure.  It is a necessary chore.  Because of all the post 9/11 restrictions and conditions associated with flying, most travelers only fly because they must.    Cruising is not a must.  Just totally different situations.  

So are all you people who are never cruising again going to write off the same environments on land?

No more dinner at restaurants?

No shopping?

No more comedy shows?

No visiting a bar?

No listening to live music?

No going to the pool?

• Like 6

One of the other factors that must be considered is that fact that many people have lost their jobs and won’t be spending money on vacation. Even those with jobs returning will have lost a certain percentage of their salary. So spending might be tight for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3

To ease things & lighten up.  Here is a (more than good for laughs) Ready-to-cruise outfit.  Optional - disposable poncho.  Health & safety first, out of an abundance of precaution.  

Going ashore, especially private excursion - we can all get to dress up like E.T. - each and every time.   Wash Washy, Happy Happy !!  Let's do contactless IR temperature scan first. 

PPE-2-Facial.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I'd miss the buffet (other than a crepe station.)

I don't go on vacation to serve myself out of a food trough, a la Old Country Buffet.

Make all food a sit-down service other than maybe a pizza stand.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, localoneguy said:

One of the other factors that must be considered is that fact that many people have lost their jobs and won’t be spending money on vacation. Even those with jobs returning will have lost a certain percentage of their salary. So spending might be tight for the foreseeable future.

This!  With over 30 million workers unemployed, which directly impacts more than 60 million people, I do not see the masses returning to cruises for quite some time.  Many families will take years to recover from this virus-induced depression, and many near-retirees have lost too much to ever recover.  Luxuries like cruises are gone for the middle class for a long time.  Only the wealthy will be able to cruise again.

• Like 2

What gives me the most pause is if I come down with Covid during the cruise.  We can all do everything right but get infected on the flight or even on the cruise by someone who tested negative on boarding.  And if one person starts showing symptoms given that you are contagious 2-3 days before, then lots of people on the ship will have it.  Does the ship have enough ventilators?  Will the port patients get dropped off at?  Will the port even accept them?  THAT’S my nightmare and why I would have to see an effective vaccine before even considering cruising - separately from cost issues.