How will changes to air travel affect cruising?

Shadow9612

There are lots of threads discussing/speculating on when cruising will restart.  I just saw an article about possible changes to air travel in the future.  How do you think this will affect cruising?  

For example,  a 4 hour check in process -REALLY!?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2020/05/10/future-air-travel-four-hour-process-self-check-in-disinfection-immunity-passes/

The speculation for changes in travel can be quite stressful to contemplate.  If there is really a 4 hour check in process, permanent requirement to wear masks, extra fee to sit further away from someone, etc., (or whatever else they may think of) I won't travel.  

Unfortunately, what starts out as something that is a temporary need, tends to become permanent (with the airlines) if they can find a way to profit from it.

As it relates to cruising, I can see people taking more cruises from embarkation ports to which they can drive.  This will severely limit itinerary options but will avoid airport hassle.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

If that's the case, it'd still be less time overall to fly to Florida to catch a cruise than to drive there from northern Ohio.

Good point.  Our friends up north will likely endure such delays as it still takes less time than driving.

10 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

There are lots of threads discussing/speculating on when cruising will restart.  I just saw an article about possible changes to air travel in the future.  How do you think this will affect cruising?  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2020/05/10/future-air-travel-four-hour-process-self-check-in-disinfection-immunity-passes/

I am personally willing to wait and not speculate about 4 hr delays.  Next everybody will speculate on age restrictions and doctor's notes to fly too.  It is just not worth it to me anyway to get all stressed about the what ifs in this highly evolving situation.  The airlines are all flying as we speak (just not internationally) and are not implementing lengthy delays and highly restricted procedures.  Heightened cleaning and masks is about all they are doing.  You get  as much or more risk of exposure in the airport as on the plane.  Like cruising, I will wait for the airline guidelines to be announced before I go. And decide if it is worth it to me.  I remember the immediate days post 9/11 and the airports and passengers were in total chaos.  Now everybody is totally used to the procedures implemented at that time.  The same will happen post COVID-19.  

• Like 3

I think alot of the things they suggested could never be implemented. An "immunity passport" (and referring to this prior to there being a  vaccine). So the suggestion is that if I have a trip coming up in a month I need to intentionally catch COVID now so I can show I have antibodies by the time my trip comes up? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I think alot of the things they suggested could never be implemented. An "immunity passport" (and referring to this prior to there being a  vaccine). So the suggestion is that if I have a trip coming up in a month I need to intentionally catch COVID now so I can show I have antibodies by the time my trip comes up? 

No country is currently accepting a positive antibody test as proof of immunity.  So it would not give you a pass from quarantine in those countries that are requiring it for visitors.

The entire concept of an immunity passport is theoretical at this point.  A lot more work has to be done, and time passed before there is any certainty about immunity.

I believe the UK presently requires a 14 day quarantine period after a flight arrival.

Who wants a 14 day hotel stay prior to cruising or sightseeing?

If airlines have to space out passengers, alternate rows, alternate seats, expect a very expensive flight compared to the past.

We would rather spend 24 hours driving than a three hour flight to get to Florida ports.

European and Asian cruises pose a bit more of a challenge. 😉

12 minutes ago, npcl said:

No country is currently accepting a positive antibody test as proof of immunity.  So it would not give you a pass from quarantine in those countries that are requiring it for visitors.

The entire concept of an immunity passport is theoretical at this point.  A lot more work has to be done, and time passed before there is any certainty about immunity.

Oh, I completely agree. Just think it's crazy to even hypothesize that you need to have "proof of immunity" to travel prior to there being a vaccine. Just sit around for the 6 months leading to your trip and hoping you get sick so you can still take it....

2 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

While the focus on here has been cruises and the safety I have highlighted flying as just as much as an issue. It’s certainly not just about the risk on the plane but the congregation of thousands of people at the airports. Without a doubt there will need to be changes but I’m confident they will adapt and find a way of making it work the same way they will with cruises. But that’s me being a glass half full person again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Argo. said:

I believe the UK presently requires a 14 day quarantine period after a flight arrival.

Who wants a 14 day hotel stay prior to cruising or sightseeing?

If airlines have to space out passengers, alternate rows, alternate seats, expect a very expensive flight compared to the past.

We would rather spend 24 hours driving than a three hour flight to get to Florida ports.

European and Asian cruises pose a bit more of a challenge. 😉

It’s important to understand that this will be a short term measure and not something that’s going to stay in place permanently. By the time cruising is up and running again this will be dropped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I am personally willing to wait and not speculate about 4 hr delays.  Next everybody will speculate on age restrictions and doctor's notes to fly too.  It is just not worth it to me anyway to get all stressed about the what ifs in this highly evolving situation.  The airlines are all flying as we speak (just not internationally) and are not implementing lengthy delays and highly restricted procedures.  Heightened cleaning and masks is about all they are doing.  You get  as much or more risk of exposure in the airport as on the plane.  Like cruising, I will wait for the airline guidelines to be announced before I go. And decide if it is worth it to me.  I remember the immediate days post 9/11 and the airports and passengers were in total chaos.  Now everybody is totally used to the procedures implemented at that time.  The same will happen post COVID-19.  

Well put.  Speculating about future air travel is about as productive as the thousands of posts here regarding details of social distancing on ships.  What will be will be.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, yorky said:

I don’t think this measure has actually been put in place yet, it was one of the things in a 50 page document being discussed.

It also said that passengers on flights from France and Northern Ireland would be exempt. No idea why.

I will hopefully holiday in UK this year, providing Wales & Cornwall open their borders, or maybe I will just stay at home and avoid the hassle.

Correct.  Lots of speculation with no substance.  Facts are the CDC requires a cruiseline to provide private transport home for passengers is and COVID on board.  This alone will stop cruising until a vaccine- hopefully early 2021.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

This 4 hour process will likely be trimmed back by Summer 2021. Even so it won't make a huge difference for traveling overseas.

We don't plan a trip or cruise until Summer 2021, except driving to Virginia for Thanksgiving.

8 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

If they are going to start not allowing bags I’m cabins, they a) better ensure safe and secure delivery of all those things we are told never to check and b) waive the checked bag fees.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

If they are going to start not allowing bags I’m cabins, they a) better ensure safe and secure delivery of all those things we are told never to check and b) waive the checked bag fees.

What is the reasoning behind no carry-on?  

36 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

I guess to help speed up/decrease crowding with boarding and deplaning. 

I don’t know though. The article just said “No bags onboard.” 

But if we are going through UV tunnels or whatever (again, what was in the article) the bags would too.

55 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

A different article that I had read suggested the carry-ons would be banned to prevent potential cross-contamination from one bag to another as they are crammed into those overhead bins.

1 hour ago, PEIpair said:

A different article that I had read suggested the carry-ons would be banned to prevent potential cross-contamination from one bag to another as they are crammed into those overhead bins.

But if we are all going through UV tunnels or such, the bag would be with us and therefore put through the same whatever we are.

I am not going to stress over "what ifs" at this point.  Assuming the Alaskan cruisetour we have booked for next year does happen, I'm certainly not going to drive from central Florida to Fairbanks, and so I will have to deal with whatever the rules and processes are at the time if I want to go.  If they're absolutely intolerable, I guess we'll cancel prior to our final payment, but too much is unknown for me to drive myself crazy wondering this far out.  

We are fortunate that we're a half hour from Port Canaveral (and likely moving even closer later this year), and just a few hours from Tampa, Jacksonville, Miami and Fort Lauderdale, so our Caribbean cruises are flight-free vacations for us.  It wouldn't take much convincing for me to make the longer drive up to New Orleans either, after I retire next year.

The biggest change for me right now is that I'm not going to book airfare as far out as I normally would, even thought I'm usually a mad planner who books everything and has my entire vacation planned out as soon as possible.  Just not sure if there are any airlines that could go under with what's going on right now, and I don't to have to deal with that if I can possibly help it.  So at this point, it's just sit back... wait and see.  I'm not even going to try to guess the future.  I've got timeshares.  I love road trips.  I will figure out ways to have great vacations going forward, regardless.

I think anyone who can drive to a port even if it means adding one or two overnight stays on route may consider this option for the next year or two...

Just so much easier in some ways than unpleasant airport experiences, you can always try to make on route stops part of your holiday by choosing pleasant/interesting towns or hotels with character....

19 hours ago, az_tchr said:

Correct.  Lots of speculation with no substance.  Facts are the CDC requires a cruiseline to provide private transport home for passengers is and COVID on board.  This alone will stop cruising until a vaccine- hopefully early 2021.

The link is to an article in Forbes with the writer's opinions on what might happen.  No official guidelines or rules issued.  Just one opinion by one writer.  At this point a "what if" fluff piece with interesting speculations but no reason to take any of it as fact.