Orlando Ashford is leaving HAL

Agree there were some "gimicky" events floating around, The Orange Party being one of them. We thought it kind of silly.

Kruse seems more suited for the job. Knowing at least a little bit about the cruise industry, which he does, should help navigate these difficult waters.

Edited by DFD1
  • Like 2

Hope who ever takes over comes from a cruise ship back ground. Had he even been on a cruise ship before he took over? Some times fresh blood & new ideas are good.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nimiq said:

.......................................Lots of you might not be fans of his but under him must admit that some of the initiatives launched like the Music Walk Concept (Lincoln Center Stage, BB Kings, Billboard Onboard, Rolling Stone Rock Room) have all been very well like by the older and younger crowd.......................

Agreed, one of the better things Orlando instituted, along with

Changing the Northern Lights nightclubs into Gallery Bars.

The early availability of your stateroom on embarkation day (not having to wait elsewhere for that P/A announcement by the CD), along the same lines, being able to wait in your cabin until your "number" is called on disembarkation day

Electronic mustering

the creation of the Dive-In burger galley

Expanded salad bars

The Club Orange concept, but only on the two ships that have the dedicated restaurant

Not so good/terrible decisions and/or things that fell apart on his watch:

The change from the original Crow's Nest with full library into Explorations Central

Rijksmuseum at Sea (supposed to go to all Vistas and up, thankfully only found on Westerdam)

Getting rid of the full cast and their production shows

Getting rid of the Screening Room movie theaters on the Vistas and up

Giving CDs the added responsibility as travel director and gutting his/her staff

The "Orange Party"

America's Test Kitchen

Probably forgetting stuff............

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@Copper10-8 are you going to apply, or just wait for them to shoulder tap you?

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Watch out for what it is you ask! I might bring the dreaded dress code back + have it enforced in the MDRs! 🤣

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I also find it interesting that the announcement of Ashford's departure was announced on the same date that HAL is conducting a trade webinar led by their Director of Field Sales called "Holland America Line: To the Voyage Ahead".  This is the first such webinar they have had since the crisis started and cannot be a mere coincidence.

HAL had two webinars in April.

April 20 (co-presented with ASTA) and April 28.

22 minutes ago, ski ww said:

Hope who ever takes over comes from a cruise ship back ground. Had he even been on a cruise ship before he took over? Some times fresh blood & new ideas are good.

Oprah...............................😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Not sorry to see him go. My first 23 cruises were all on HAL but 3 of the last 4 have been on RCCL or Princess. Aside from the BB King Blues Club venue, there wasn't much that changed under his reign that we liked.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

The early availability of your stateroom on embarkation day (not having to wait elsewhere for that P/A announcement by the CD), along the same lines, being able to wait in your cabin until your "number" is called on disembarkation day

Electronic mustering

Expanded salad bars

The Club Orange concept, but only on the two ships that have the dedicated restaurant

The change from the original Crow's Nest with full library into Explorations Central

Rijksmuseum at Sea (supposed to go to all Vistas and up, thankfully only found on Westerdam)

Giving CDs the added responsibility as travel director and gutting his/her staff

Agree completely.  

Another dubious idea was the Brand Ambassador.   Have not been impressed with what I’ve seen on FB.  Once was enough.

Doing away with the production shows was the worst.  I know some did not like them, but we rarely missed one. 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
Added comment.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I don't think we will see Jan Schwartz leave Princess as she has been a very effective leader for the brand, but I agree that HAL/Seabourn will most likely be merged and that Stein Kruse will take the helm until the dust settles.

Both of these observations sound right. Princess, for my tastes, is remarkably unremarkable (i.e. I feel they don't do anything especially well) and yet Princess commands really high rates. So, Shwartz must be doing something right. I like the idea of incorporating Seabourn into the HAL brand. Doing so would bolster HAL's identity as a small-to-midsize ship brand that is focused on traditional cruising adults. Prinsendam was so profitable for HAL; consider HAL with five Prinsendams!

47 minutes ago, nimiq said:

My first ever cruise with HAL was on Westerdam in 2008...some of the initiatives launched like the Music Walk Concept (Lincoln Center Stage, BB Kings, Billboard Onboard, Rolling Stone Rock Room) have all been very well like by the older and younger crowd...he's brought back the joy of traveling on Hal with a mix of older and younger but still more adult family oriented cruise...Thanks Sea ya...Eric

My first ever cruise period was on Westerdam in August 2009. I too think Music Walk has been a huge success, but I want to see a return of the production show on the Main/World Stage. The elimination of such was a huge mistake.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, nimiq said:

Lots of you might not be fans of his but under him must admit that some of the initiatives launched like the Music Walk Concept (Lincoln Center Stage, BB Kings, Billboard Onboard, Rolling Stone Rock Room) have all been very well like by the older and younger crowd.

Well, I'm in the "older" group.  I'm not a fan of BB Kings, Rolling Stone Rock room, no production shows, removal of libraries, changing Crow's Nest to in-house advertisement area.  I agree that the food has suffered, also.  

• Like 6

about time-- sayonara... knows everything about nothing is what I say and have said for a long time.. . he was hired as someone who never was on a cruise ship.. brought the company down with 'pie in the sky ideas'  ..here's a thread I started a while back--- to back what I've said up.. and I still stand by it even after getting slammed by many.. 

Edited by Stakeout

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

What new dining venues have been a total disaster? 

America's Test Kitchen and Club Orange no one is ever there and heard nothing very great about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taxmantoo said:

Certainly not sorry to see him go.  The man was unfortunately put in a job he was not prepared for but that cannot excuse all his mistakes because of his lack of knowledge and understanding of the business.  Hopefully, HAL's new leader will be knowledgeable enough to develop a vision that encompasses both traditional HAL cruisers and new HAL cruisers.  Hint: Ask their counterpart at Princess as she seems to understand the business and doing very well 😉

She might be good with the Public at Princess but besides the newer ships being very nice the older ones even with some upgrades are so outdated.

1 minute ago, nimiq said:

America's Test Kitchen and Club Orange no one is ever there and heard nothing very great about it.

Club Orange is fine on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam, but that's it; I don't see the concept of putting it in "sections" of the MDRs of the other twelve ships

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Holland America Line President Orlando Ashford announced that he will be leaving the company at the end of May, according to a press release.

The news follows an earlier announcement that Rick Meadows was leaving Carnival sister brand Seabourn from his president post.

Since November 2014, Ashford has served as president of Holland America Line, leading the cruise line's brand and business, including its fleet of 14 vessels.

He oversaw Holland America Line’s sales and marketing, revenue management, deployment and itinerary planning, public relations, hotel operations and strategy. 

“Orlando has made a substantial contribution to Holland America Line during his tenure, bringing a renewed energy to the premium cruise line that was recognized with many awards and accolades,” said Stein Kruse, Group CEO of Holland America Group and Carnival UK. “His unique background as an innovator and global leader in human resources was highly respected in our organization and his dynamism will be greatly missed.”

“It has been an honor and a privilege to lead the evolution of the Holland America Line brand for more than five years,” said Ashford. “I can’t say enough about the talent and teamwork both shoreside and on board the ships that has driven our many successes over the years.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22930-orlando-ashford-leaving-holland-america.html

Finally some good news!!!  Hey Orlando, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I realize some will say the timing couldn't be worse, but frankly, I've seen nothing that gives me confidence in him with all that has gone on.

Let's see - he eliminated libraries, eliminated Stryker and other talented piano bar players with his changes, ruined the Crow's Nest - the list goes on.

some changes have been good of course but overall I didn't feel he had a concept nor any empathy with cruisers.  The lack of communication to everyone in this time of delayed refunds proves it.  Had there been communication and explanation, I bet people would not have disputed as much with their CC companies.   I have far more faith in Stein Kruse than I do in Orlando Ashford.  JMO.

The Princess CEO has been amazing IMO and communicating - at least on FB.  

+1,  we are happy with this development.  I hope that if there is a new, consolidated cruise line, that our Four Star Mariner benefits will be recognized. 

Edited by Cruizer Bill
typo
  • Like 2

as a guess.. the Princess name will be no more after the bad press it has gotten...  maybe go back to its original 'P&O branding.. ya never know..  bet HAL wishes it had back those old smaller ships they got rid of over the past few years.. Statendam.. Ryndam and Prinsendam... they might have been maintenance nitemares at the time money-wise.. but the big humongous size new ship era has come to a screeching halt.. just thinking out loud.. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

I am sure Mr. Ashford will get any money as part of his severance before passengers get their refund.

C'est la vie!

I was also thinking that Ashford may have a significant sum in is contract if he is asked to leave.  Under the circumstances it would be even more tragic for HAL if Ashford receives a severance while others wait for their refunds.    To The-Inside-Cabin, did Ashford always make the special appearance on World Cruises or did Kruse also show up?  Really miss your daily reports from the WC!!  Cherie   

31 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Electronic mustering

Expanded salad bars

The "Orange Party"

America's Test Kitchen

I have to move Club Orange to the fail category.  Allowing someone to buy, for as little as $15/day, perks that four and five star Mainers spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on was the biggest PR blunder of all time.  Well it was until they made us pay $59 for our transfer in Fremantle when they threw us off the ship.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Watch out for what it is you ask! I might bring the dreaded dress code back + have it enforced in the MDRs! 

In that case, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Stakeout said:

as a guess.. the Princess name will be no more after the bad press it has gotten...🙂

the LOVE BOAT, soon will be making another run...the LOVE BOAT...

I think in the general scheme of things, the whole Diamond Princess debacle will be quickly forgotten. Everyone of a certain age who is even slightly interested in cruising will continue to associate Princess with the Love Boat. That's an association that is priceless.

• Like 3