Carnival layoffs

jimbo5544

16 hours ago, wareaglefan444 said:

well, just got an email that my PVP is no longer with the carnival, and that a new PVP would be assigned to me. This really sux, I had the same one for over twenty years.

That is really sad.  Is it possible that it was their choice - early retirement maybe?

No email from mine so I may call and see how she is doing.  I have a booking for May 2021 so I would hate to lose her!

Edited by LEtue

10 minutes ago, LEtue said:

That is really sad?  Is it possible that it was their choice - early retirement maybe?

No email from mine so I may call and see how she is doing.  I have a booking for May 2021 so I would hate to lose her!

I talked to him last night on his personal email, he actually booked me on a cruise day before yesterday, he said he had no idea and that they had a feeling it was coming but was basically blind sided

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

What specific mismanagement? They've spent most of the time reacting to circumstances beyond their control.

The only critique I can level against CCL is lack of transparency concerning refunds.

I think CCL has been transparent on refunds. Some don't like the answer they get.

There has been no mismanagement to speak of. Carnival is a successful business. One or two individuals simply have a private agenda and personal issues to deal with.

• Like 2

This is why it’s important to leave good reviews after each and every call you have with your PVP. Good reviews are a major part of what call center reps are measured on. Those with the best reviews (among other stats like most sales/upgrade sales etc.) are most likely to be retained. If you want to keep your PVPs, leave great reviews.

• Like 3

I am going to try this again.  I saw John Heald do a live video about this on his Facebook page this morning.  I am very sad for all the people whose livelihoods have taken a big hit over this situation.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 11:41 AM, cruizergal70 said:

Too much focus on health? Are you ignoring the economic impact if more people are exposed and get ill? Remember the US health care system and lack of health insurance. 

If you can wander around Walmart you can go to work.how many healthy looking homeless people have you ever seen? From what I see the people who want you to stay home have fat bank accounts.i don't work anymore so I really don't care but if I was still working I would have been so called essential anyway.its your life you never have to leave home at least until they send the sheriff to evict you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, noleguy84 said:

This is why it’s important to leave good reviews after each and every call you have with your PVP. Good reviews are a major part of what call center reps are measured on. Those with the best reviews (among other stats like most sales/upgrade sales etc.) are most likely to be retained. If you want to keep your PVPs, leave great reviews.

Those with the lowest salaries are most likely to be retained among those who are not in supervisory positions.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1

I can see laid off employees replaced eventually with contractors, computers, and robots.

Eventually corporate America will be completely outsourced and all that will be left is a PO Box for accounts payable and receivable.

Covid-19 and future pandemics will result in permanent job loses in all sectors. Some things just aren't going to come back.

• Like 3

On 5/14/2020 at 11:41 AM, cruizergal70 said:

Too much focus on health? Are you ignoring the economic impact if more people are exposed and get ill? Remember the US health care system and lack of health insurance. 

There's really no comparison to getting "ill" vs shutting the world down, financially. Financially, having people lose jobs or small businesses that they worked their whole life for is way worse than the hysteria the media is feeding you. If I was laid off of my job right now, I don't know what I would do. Good careers are not in abundance of hiring at the moment. If I was a betting man, I would also say if I got COVID, I wouldn't die.

Half of the people who "died of COVID" in my state, were in nursing homes. Another good chunk of them took really poor care of themselves. While I don't wish for anyone to die, if you do some critical thinking here, the world doesn't need to completely shut down. Some people need different protection than others.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Half of the people who "died of COVID" in my state, were in nursing homes. Another good chunk of them took really poor care of themselves. While I don't wish for anyone to die, if you do some critical thinking here, the world doesn't need to completely shut down. Some people need different protection than others.

At a minimum, all Americans are entitled to protection. It is We the People, not We the Fortunate Ones. Don't blame the victims.

It will be years before long term impact of the virus on survivors will be known.

If the world was prepared for a pandemic, much of the shutdown could have been avoided. When a pandemic is allowed to get out of control, drastic measures are required. When the world reopens, if not prepared for the second and future waves, it will need to be shutdown time and again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

this is not an indicaton they wont get going this year,  nothing  to see here.  we know mony ships will remain docked and they will use only 10 -15 % of their fleet. 

I think NCL is projecting once limited cruising begins again, they will add additional ships every month and have the fleet back within about 6 months after start.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22946-norwegian-plans-phased-return-to-service.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I think NCL is projecting once limited cruising begins again, they will add additional ships every month and have the fleet back within about 6 months after start.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22946-norwegian-plans-phased-return-to-service.html

yes i think that is is the plan, use aug /sept as a trial run. 

Who thinks that the CDC is NOT going to extend their "Do Not Sail" order? The aggressive impossible to meet "conditions thrust upon the cruise industry" is why these companies are struggling for their very existence. 

It's the CDC that should be going out of business and announcing layoffs, not the cruise lines. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Castaway Cowgirl said:

How can this be?  I thought CCL didn’t employ any Americans?  

they have a corporate hq office in Florida. this is where the layoffs is happening

24 minutes ago, shof515 said:

they have a corporate hq office in Florida. this is where the layoffs is happening

They have sales and support staff all over the country, it is not just Miami.  Many good, good friends will be out of work.  They were part of Carnival, they will be missed greatly.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Maybe Carnival, once they recover and make a profit again, should have two brand ambassadors.  One "young hipster" on Instragram or TikTok or whatever is the app-du-jour for the folks with no attention span; and John Heald for those of us that remember the good old 1980s.

I volunteer as tribute! 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, poz222 said:

The president of HAL and Seabourne have been let go. 

Still waiting for a good analysis of that. Seabourn got through the March/April debacle with its rep largely unscathed ... but Swartz and her minions made Princess the poster child for catastrophic mismanagement during a pandemic. Arnold and Duffy have been barnacles, too. That's the crew that should've gotten the gate.

• Like 1

When this is all over (if it ever is), there will be major changes to a multitude of corporations, especially the brick and mortar operations. Everyone is just trying to hang on, get through this, calculate the damages and make the necessary adjustments to survive (if possible) and get on with it.

• Like 1

I read that the CEO took a 50% pay reduction other senior management also took pay reductions. I with all this happening it looks like they're getting ready for further sailing delays probably the rest of 2020 because if the ships sail again August 1,  2020 and people get sick or worse it will crush the company. What do you think?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, shipbound2 said:

I read that the CEO took a 50% pay reduction other senior management also took pay reductions. I with all this happening it looks like they're getting ready for further sailing delays probably the rest of 2020 because if the ships sail again August 1,  2020 and people get sick or worse it will crush the company. What do you think?

They want to sail, they know the risks.  They are doing everything in their power to mitigate risk.  The wild card is the CDC and the rather large hammer they possess. 

• Like 1