Royal Princess Mexico Cruises in Dec

ILOVESHIPS

We are suppose to be on the Royal two weeks in this October. haven't cancelled but will at final payment. The ship is now floating around the Philippines, waiting to offload employees. Realistically, the cruise line has to reassemble staff on the ship (fly them?) in order for all of us to sail. I don't see cruising happen this year.

13 hours ago, ILOVESHIPS said:

Do you think the Royal Princess will do  their  7  day cruises to Mexico in Dec.

I think this one has a slight possibility of happening.  I think some of the 7 day or shorter cruises at least stand a chance.  I don't see anything where cruises that are at sea for days at a time happening and no longer sailings either, so, I definitely believe Hawaii sailings from the west coast will be happening for quite some time.  I also think that sailings requiring a lot of international travel will not be happening, either.  More likely, cruises that sail out of areas where a lot of locals embark, such as San Francisco or Los Angeles and those ones that are close enough to land pretty much the whole time.  This is all just speculation on my part but even one of the head honchos of the cruise lines said something similar to this, albeit, that was about a month ago.  

One thing that could hold up the December sailing is the mayor of Los Angeles.  Hopefully, the Bay Area won't follow in his footsteps ... and I'll just leave it at that.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think this one has a slight possibility of happening.  I think some of the 7 day or shorter cruises at least stand a chance.  I don't see anything where cruises that are at sea for days at a time happening and no longer sailings either, so, I definitely believe Hawaii sailings from the west coast will be happening for quite some time.  I also think that sailings requiring a lot of international travel will not be happening, either.  More likely, cruises that sail out of areas where a lot of locals embark, such as San Francisco or Los Angeles and those ones that are close enough to land pretty much the whole time.  This is all just speculation on my part but even one of the head honchos of the cruise lines said something similar to this, albeit, that was about a month ago.  

One thing that could hold up the December sailing is the mayor of Los Angeles.  Hopefully, the Bay Area won't follow in his footsteps ... and I'll just leave it at that.  

With Santa Clara County still not even trying to open and still having big amount of virus cases I would doubt any cruises out of SF in the near future

• Like 1

We have a 10-day Los Angeles-Mexico (Sea of Cortez) cruise scheduled for December on the Emerald Princess.  I can't see any way it will be safe for us to be on that ship.  So, I anticipate cancelling prior to final payment.

We took this same itinerary a couple years ago, and it was outstanding.  It will be disappointing to make that cancellation call.

8 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

We have a 10-day Los Angeles-Mexico (Sea of Cortez) cruise scheduled for December on the Emerald Princess.  I can't see any way it will be safe for us to be on that ship.  So, I anticipate cancelling prior to final payment.

We took this same itinerary a couple years ago, and it was outstanding.  It will be disappointing to make that cancellation call.

I have that cruise booked on 10/31/2020, which I agree will most likely be cancelled.  I've never done that cruise, so could I ask you what you really liked about it?

15 hours ago, ILOVESHIPS said:

Do you think the Royal Princess will do  their  7  day cruises to Mexico in Dec.

If I was a betting man and you gave me even odds I'd not bet, if you gave me 100:1, I'd probably bet 1-5 dollars.

What is your take on whether football will take place with live audience in attendance this fall?  

21 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

football will take place with live audience in attendance this fall?  

tough to say about the 'live audience' - college or pro ...

NASCAR starts back tomorrow - 4 cup races over a two week period - no fans in the stands … Charlotte and Darlington SC

Of all the cruises restarting, I believe the Royal 7 night and shorter itineraries have a much better chance than the others.  Why?  Because they're closer to the home office so that if something needs to be changed at a moment's notice, it can be done easier, most people will be locals with fewer foreign passport holders and California has done reasonably well with flat-lining the Coronavirus and has been more cautious about reopening than other states (like FL).  

Of course, I have absolutely no idea if my speculation is right, it's just a hunch.  I even booked one of these cruises because I have more faith in them starting up first vs. others.  It may be cancelled still, but it's a better possibility than others.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Of all the cruises restarting, I believe the Royal 7 night and shorter itineraries have a much better chance than the others.  Why?  Because they're closer to the home office so that if something needs to be changed at a moment's notice, it can be done easier, most people will be locals with fewer foreign passport holders and California has done reasonably well with flat-lining the Coronavirus and has been more cautious about reopening than other states (like FL).  

Of course, I have absolutely no idea if my speculation is right, it's just a hunch.  I even booked one of these cruises because I have more faith in them starting up first vs. others.  It may be cancelled still, but it's a better possibility than others.  

I certainly hope your hunch is correct. We're booked on the Royal early next May for the last CA coastal prior to it moving to Alaska; while that's six months further out than the OP's, it's encouraging to think that these coastal type cruises may well go as scheduled.... assuming there's not another big spike in Covid-19 infections prior.

• Like 1

We are booked on the Royal for the first two weeks of October.  Anything can happen.  If she doesn't sail, we will apply our credits to a cruise next year.  We have a short flight from Sacramento to Long Beach, and booked with Southwest points.  

I have told myself to stop worrying about things I can't control and to focus on getting our house ready to sell (as my DH would like to retire in December). 

• Like 3

My wife and I are booked on this cruise departing October 24th but selfishly and unbelievably are unsure whether we want it to take place.  I never thought to hear those words as we were both looking forward to this trip so much.

Our travel from Belfast Northern Ireland, first to Vegas, then cruise and finally  finish in San Francisco is a lot of travel in very uncertain health times. As there is little to no chance of a vaccine to Covid prior to this date we believe it would be a big gamble to be in close proximity with so many strangers over so much travel.

Final payment due in June, we cancel, we loose, Princess cancels we at least get FCC but hopefully a refund.

Maybe the cruise would be available for you good folks closer to LA, fingers crossed.

Am I right in believing that this cruise is already cancelled until early October?

So how will over 1,000 crew members get to the ship from overseas? Do you think the entertainers will be flying and getting on a cruise ship. Getting these people home has proved to be an almost impossible task. The Royal is still floating around trying to allow crew to get home.My thought. Doesn't matter if we sail close from home. It may be our homes but not the crews.I, along with many of you have wishful thinking about being allowed to cruise. I miss cruising, seeing my cruise buddies, the excitement,

food, even trivia.

6 hours ago, Abovethesod said:

My wife and I are booked on this cruise departing October 24th but selfishly and unbelievably are unsure whether we want it to take place.  I never thought to hear those words as we were both looking forward to this trip so much.

Our travel from Belfast Northern Ireland, first to Vegas, then cruise and finally  finish in San Francisco is a lot of travel in very uncertain health times. As there is little to no chance of a vaccine to Covid prior to this date we believe it would be a big gamble to be in close proximity with so many strangers over so much travel.

Final payment due in June, we cancel, we loose, Princess cancels we at least get FCC but hopefully a refund.

Maybe the cruise would be available for you good folks closer to LA, fingers crossed.

Am I right in believing that this cruise is already cancelled until early October?

No, this cruise is not cancelled yet.  There's a cancelled cruise list on the Princess site and your sailing is not on it.  

In your case, coming from another country, I would probably try to reschedule for next year.  We live in California and I wouldn't even attempt to book an overseas cruise before next year. 

We would gladly reschedule but the whole package  is booked through a TA in Scotland and apparently  if we try to reschedule the penalties are large. If any of the legs of the trip are cancelled by either TA, airline, cruise company we are entitled to a total refund.

This would be the fourth of five  holidays we have lost out on for 2020 but "health before wealth".

• Like 1

23 hours ago, memoak said:

With Santa Clara County still not even trying to open and still having big amount of virus cases I would doubt any cruises out of SF in the near future

Except the rest of us are going to Phase 2. You'll get there too! Looking forward to Phase 3 by August (I would say next month but I think Phase 2 will be more than a month) 

Screenshot_20200517-104108_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ce530726d8e9e23e978cff709c98c6d2.jpg

To answer the "how to get the crew's all back "...

Thats the reason, there 47 cruise ships from all brands  in Manila bay at the moment, and they will more than likely remain there until a firm decision is reached on resuming cruises this year.. As  decisions are made for each ship, and it's schedule, each ship will then man with required crew right there in Manila, and from other neighboring Asian countries before heading back  to their scheduled ports of embarkations.... The plan is for minimal crew flights required

I personally think, the Royal and Emerald have a good chance of sailing starting October, if nothing else because Mexico, desperate for tourism dollars  will more than likely be one of the first countries to open up to cruise ships again and as of this May 15th is already opening hotel resorts nationwide across Mexico, additionally MR & Hawaii cruises from Los Angeles only requires US &, Mexican ports,* And most importantly  the LA/ Calif. area can support ship passenger loads with-out flights.

Edited by srpilo
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

I have that cruise booked on 10/31/2020, which I agree will most likely be cancelled.  I've never done that cruise, so could I ask you what you really liked about it?

A couple things.

We like sea days.  On this cruise there are extra sea days v. a 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise.

The port stops at La Paz and Loreto are outstanding.  While it is possible to find enclaves of Americans in both towns, they both seem more native Mexican that Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and, especially, Cabo San Lucas.  The locals were consistently, very friendly.  They do not get as many cruise ships visiting as those other ones do.  So, their local economies and not as dependent on cruise ships.  At La Paz the ship docks almost 20 miles away, and so, passengers have to take a bus ride into the town.  I am not sure there are docking facilities for additional cruise ships.  (There was a  lot of construction going on in La Paz, when we were there.  They may have been trying to make it easier for cruise ships to anchor off shore and tender passengers right into the downtown area.)  Loreto is a tender port.  Those two facts reduce the number of passengers who even visit those ports.  Make no mistake, however, local business make it as easy as possible for tourists, but it is, definitely, a lower pressure sell.

I completely endorse one particular activity in Loreto.  There is a Princess excursion (I know.  I know.  The cool people never go on ship excursions.  They book private tours that are better and less expensive.  Bite me.)  that is called a Beach Fiesta, or something like that.  You are taxied to a local hotel across the street from the beach.  A bunch of banquet tables are set up for the cruise guests.  There is a stage area for musidians and a folklorico dance troupe,  (Here is a tip.  Get a seat near the hotel building.  It is farther away from the stage, but it is covered and has overhead fans.  There is a local fly that loves to dive bomb onto people's plates of food.  Happily, the flies avoid the areas under the fans.)  A buffet meal is offered.  The centerpiece of this meal is local clams that are buried under the sand and covered with rocks.  The rocks are, then, covered with a pile of a dried scrub bush which is, of course, set aflame.  If anybody doesn't like clams, they won't go hungry.  They grill a large fish of some sort.  There is chicken, and all kinds of sides--a terrific vegetable medley, beans, rice, green salad, tortillas, and, of course, chips and salsa.

Towards the end of the event, passengers get to whack a piñata.

DSCF0918.thumb.JPG.baaf35823992601c5fb631d0ad4cdd50.JPGDSCF0937.thumb.JPG.86b72a6ee17b09d559be62cdedc67151.JPGDSCF0978.thumb.JPG.b1573e0807a65c9e0cc91e0e55ff5197.JPGDSCF0962.thumb.JPG.3c83d97d490793d3f80184296c525b33.JPGDSCF1007.thumb.JPG.2e95cbf3be2a56ae3eb44b3bcccb97f7.JPG

23 hours ago, voljeep said:

tough to say about the 'live audience' - college or pro ...

NASCAR starts back tomorrow - 4 cup races over a two week period - no fans in the stands … Charlotte and Darlington SC

This morning my racing buddy sent me a text message saying that this afternoon's weather forecast for Darlington called for thunderstorms.

😟

33 minutes ago, srpilo said:

To answer the "how to get the crew's all back "...

Thats the reason, there 47 cruise ships from all brands  in Manila bay at the moment, and they will more than likely remain there until a firm decision is reached on resuming cruises this year.. As  decisions are made for each ship, and it's schedule, each ship will then man with required crew right there in Manila, and from other neighboring Asian countries before heading back  to their scheduled ports of embarkations.... The plan is for minimal crew flights required

I personally think, the Royal and Emerald have a good chance of sailing starting October, if nothing else because Mexico, desperate for tourism dollars  will more than likely be one of the first countries to open up to cruise ships again and as of this May 15th is already opening hotel resorts nationwide across Mexico, additionally MR & Hawaii cruises from Los Angeles only requires US &, Mexican ports,* And most importantly  the LA/ Calif. area can support ship passenger loads with-out flights.

That’s a good thought about the ships hanging out by Manila, ready to bring the crew back onboard to get back to work when ready! Makes a lot of sense; it’s not like the ship has anywhere else it needs to be right now, and it’d save the companies a fortune to sail the crew back vs. flying that many. 

40 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

A couple things.

We like sea days.  On this cruise there are extra sea days v. a 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise.

The port stops at La Paz and Loreto are outstanding.  While it is possible to find enclaves of Americans in both towns, they both seem more native Mexican that Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and, especially, Cabo San Lucas.  The locals were consistently, very friendly.  They do not get as many cruise ships visiting as those other ones do.  So, their local economies and not as dependent on cruise ships.  At La Paz the ship docks almost 20 miles away, and so, passengers have to take a bus ride into the town.  I am not sure there are docking facilities for additional cruise ships.  (There was a  lot of construction going on in La Paz, when we were there.  They may have been trying to make it easier for cruise ships to anchor off shore and tender passengers right into the downtown area.)  Loreto is a tender port.  Those two facts reduce the number of passengers who even visit those ports.  Make no mistake, however, local business make it as easy as possible for tourists, but it is, definitely, a lower pressure sell.

I completely endorse one particular activity in Loreto.  There is a Princess excursion (I know.  I know.  The cool people never go on ship excursions.  They book private tours that are better and less expensive.  Bite me.)  that is called a Beach Fiesta, or something like that.  You are taxied to a local hotel across the street from the beach.  A bunch of banquet tables are set up for the cruise guests.  There is a stage area for musidians and a folklorico dance troupe,  (Here is a tip.  Get a seat near the hotel building.  It is farther away from the stage, but it is covered and has overhead fans.  There is a local fly that loves to dive bomb onto people's plates of food.  Happily, the flies avoid the areas under the fans.)  A buffet meal is offered.  The centerpiece of this meal is local clams that are buried under the sand and covered with rocks.  The rocks are, then, covered with a pile of a dried scrub bush which is, of course, set aflame.  If anybody doesn't like clams, they won't go hungry.  They grill a large fish of some sort.  There is chicken, and all kinds of sides--a terrific vegetable medley, beans, rice, green salad, tortillas, and, of course, chips and salsa.

Towards the end of the event, passengers get to whack a piñata.

DSCF0918.thumb.JPG.baaf35823992601c5fb631d0ad4cdd50.JPGDSCF0937.thumb.JPG.86b72a6ee17b09d559be62cdedc67151.JPGDSCF0978.thumb.JPG.b1573e0807a65c9e0cc91e0e55ff5197.JPGDSCF0962.thumb.JPG.3c83d97d490793d3f80184296c525b33.JPGDSCF1007.thumb.JPG.2e95cbf3be2a56ae3eb44b3bcccb97f7.JPG

Thanks so much for your input!

• Haha 1