Would you cruise if Wearing a mask is mandatory?

Would you cruise if wearing a mask is Mandatory?  

711 members have voted

1. 1. Will you cruise if wearing a mask is mandatory?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

35 minutes ago, pcur said:

I find the results of the survey at the top of this thread fascinating.  Over 58% of the responses would rather give up cruising rather than wear a mask part time on the ship.  I think it's a valid assumption that you take the mask off when you eat or drink, and when you are out on deck at least 6 feet away from other passengers.

You are misrepresenting the question.  The question was not would you cruise if you had to wear a mask on board apart from times that you are eating or drinking or six foot away from others.  You have made up your own rules on when you have to wear the mask and then agreed with your own version of the question. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So assuming a vaccine is rushed out in lets say the next six months, that would bring us to the end of the year. Efficacy aside,  you would feel enough confidence is the safety profile to receive it in time to take an April cruise?

I would if my HMO, Kaiser, offered it.  I've been a Kaiser member off and on from birth, and they are pretty conservative about this.  Also, if the cruise lines installed proper social distancing and hygiene protocols, I would be comfortable in cruising.  But, with the caveat that I can push the cruise down the road if I don't feel comfortable.

Who knows what's REALLY going to happen?  It's all conjecture right now.

Edited by pcur

18 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

You are misrepresenting the question.  The question was not would you cruise if you had to wear a mask on board apart from times that you are eating or drinking or six foot away from others.  You have made up your own rules on when you have to wear the mask and then agreed with your own version of the question. 

Sorry, I'm confused....................................I read the title, "Would you cruise if wearing a mask is mandatory?" as meaning just that.

Then,  as a second and separate statement I said I thought it was a valid assumption , as in "I assume",  about the social distancing, eating, drinking.

Don't think this is "making up rules".  It's an opinion and an assumption.  It's hard for me to misrepresent  my own opinion, and I didn't misrepresent the question about mandatory mask wearing, and 58% of the respondents said "no" to cruising.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pcur said:

I find the results of the survey at the top of this thread fascinating.  Over 58% of the responses would rather give up cruising rather than wear a mask part time on the ship.  I think it's a valid assumption that you take the mask off when you eat or drink, and when you are out on deck at least 6 feet away from other passengers.

I wonder how this 58% are going to feel a year from now if the mask requirement is still in place?  

Personally, I've become accustomed to wearing a mask in the last 2.5 months, and it's no big deal.  I made soft cotton tee shirt material masks for both of us, with double fabric.  That might be a factor:  people here might be thinking of the scratchy "cup" shaped masks.

For however long it takes for the mandatory mask requirements to be lifted I will wait.  I am not paying to go somewhere to be tortured by having to wear a mask (no matter what the material is).  Like someone else said - I will just go to the beach, go to a restaurant and then go home. No mask required.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Keksie said:

For however long it takes for the mandatory mask requirements to be lifted I will wait.  I am not paying to go somewhere to be tortured by having to wear a mask (no matter what the material is).  Like someone else said - I will just go to the beach, go to a restaurant and then go home. No mask required.  

And, I sincerely (with no "tone" of sarcasm) hope you enjoy your time!  We all need to have a  safe break and some enjoyment while we get through this pandemic.

8 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I wonder if this will be like an itinerary changes, Royal can change itineraries on the fly, why not mask requirements?  Maybe you book think no mask and then the day of your cruise, or even mid cruise, mask will be required???

1 hour ago, pcur said:

I made soft cotton tee shirt material masks for both of us, with double fabric. 

You might as well not wear them..... tee shirt material.... whether single, double. triple. quad..... totally ineffective at preventing the virus from entering or leaving!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

You might as well not wear them..... tee shirt material.... whether single, double. triple. quad..... totally ineffective at preventing the virus from entering or leaving!

Forbes Magazine:  4/27/20

When each fabric was used in a single layer, high thread count cotton performed the best with a filtration efficiency of around 80% for particles larger than 300 nanometers. However, the fabric samples performed even better when layered.

********************************************************************************************

Plus, we've been doing this for over a month now, and got tested for COVID19 last Friday with negative results.  So, I think the masks are doing OK.

Edited by pcur
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, John Reid said:

And your article is the one YOU have chosen. The one I read today, from the Mayo clinic (I think they still count as science), recommends their use to help curb spread to others.

By the way, just how many hands high is that horse you ride?

EZCJeJBX0AMnJ6b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, pcur said:

Sorry, I'm confused....................................I read the title, "Would you cruise if wearing a mask is mandatory?" as meaning just that.

Then,  as a second and separate statement I said I thought it was a valid assumption , as in "I assume",  about the social distancing, eating, drinking.

Don't think this is "making up rules".  It's an opinion and an assumption.  It's hard for me to misrepresent  my own opinion, and I didn't misrepresent the question about mandatory mask wearing, and 58% of the respondents said "no" to cruising.

What you have written does not make sense.   You cannot make any assumptions as your assumptions may be different from mine or indeed anyone else.  Therefore if you answer a question based on your assumption of what the question meant with added bits that you have made up then you are not answer the question that anyone else is answering.  If you want to know the percentage who agree with you why don't you host your own poll with the exact assumptions you have.

Otherwise we are all answering a different question based on the assumption that we know that the OP actually meant in their question and not what the question actually said.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

EZCJeJBX0AMnJ6b.jpeg

Don't know the date on that literature, but this is from today, 5/27/20, at 11:36AM ET:  "Fauci says he wears a mask to be a symbol of what 'you should be doing"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Otherwise we are all answering a different question based on the assumption that we know that the OP actually meant in their question and not what the question actually said.

Whaaaaaat?????

I took the poll, too.  I don't care if people agree with me.  Last time I looked I am on a social media board posting my opinions and assumptions, just like everyone else.  

P.S. I really like the "ignore list" feature; so helpful.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dinglebert said:

In which case you won't be reading this.  My point wasn't difficult.  You failed to understand it.  I must work better on my basic English as I clearly pitched it too high for you to understand.  I will try.  There is a question. You answer it. You can't then state that people are answering a question which you think was asked rather than the question which was asked.

Sounds like a lawyer's explanation...

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

You have a source? 

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/landing/preparing-for-coronavirus#:~:text=The CDC recommends wearing cloth,to practice social distancing.

The CDC recommends wearing cloth masks for the following reasons:

• A cloth mask can help individuals cover a cough or sneeze; reducing the spread of germs.
  • A cloth mask will not prevent you from breathing in respiratory droplets which carry a virus, like COVID-19.
  • Some people with COVID-19 have mild to no symptoms, and may be spreading the virus unknowingly. Cloth masks could help cut down how far the virus spreads.
  • Cloth masks can prevent you from touching your face, and can be a visual reminder to practice social distancing.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pcur said:

Forbes Magazine:  4/27/20

When each fabric was used in a single layer, high thread count cotton performed the best with a filtration efficiency of around 80% for particles larger than 300 nanometers. However, the fabric samples performed even better when layered.

********************************************************************************************

Plus, we've been doing this for over a month now, and got tested for COVID19 last Friday with negative results.  So, I think the masks are doing OK.

I thought the non medical masks were for protecting others, not yourself? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pcur said:

Over 58% of the responses would rather give up cruising rather than wear a mask part time on the ship.

I believe this is the sentence Dinglebert was referring to when commenting about your assumptions. People may have voted with different assumptions since the question does not state "part time". I voted No but later said that my vote would change depending on the actual rules (would only wear one for embarkation/debarkation - I don't do elevators anyway so doesn't matter for me there). At least I think it was this thread, they should merge the two RCI mask threads!

• Like 1

I posted this on the other mask thread but since I posted extensively on this one as well, I'll repost here as a final post for me on this subject.

I wear a mask where it is required. If it is not I don't... I have already had the virus back in January, so I have no concerns about contracting nor spreading the virus so I really have no reason to wear one.  I do through because I just don't want to go to the mall wearing a sign that says "stop looking at me funny I already had the virus". My opinion, based on extensive scientific research I have read, is that masks worn by an untrained general public does nothing give a false sense of security.  I could be wrong but at the end of the day that's above my pay grade and I comply with the law or policies of business/service I am engaging.

This constantly referred to straw man of people saying the virus being a hoax only makes those arguing it look intellectually dishonest.  No one that I know, personally, thinks the virus is a hoax, however, we all have varying opinions about the best course of action to take to prevent it's spread while maintaining our God given rights and freedoms and preserving our economic well being.  I'm not interested in living in Venezuela.  The notion that you can shut an entire industry (the cruise industry) down for two years and think that it will be be there to open when the Karen's of the world are ready to come out of hiding is preposterous. 

My sister works for the govt. she hasn't missed a paycheck although she hasn't worked since Mar 13th.  She told me this weekend that she thinks everything should be locked down until Sept. just to be safe. I can't even have a conversation with that level of Karen.

Will I cruise if masks are required.  Certainly, as long they are only required under certain conditions.  If it were required all the time I doubt I would cruise.

Cruising in the post Covid world will be different. Everyone who expects to cruise in the near to mid term future will have to be tolerant of some change to the typical routine and gracious enough to accept the direction of ship staff without confrontation.  Of course there will be idiots who cause trouble just like there will be Karens who think they are the hall monitor back in primary school.

This is my final post on masks. CC is my daily fun distraction away from my job that often is heart breaking and disappointing.

I'm going back to arguing about MDR dress codes, the value DBP's and to tip or not to tip.

Happy cruising.

• Like 3

Just now, HxFx said:

I believe this is the sentence Dinglebert was referring to when commenting about your assumptions. People may have voted with different assumptions since the question does not state "part time". I voted No but later said that my vote would change depending on the actual rules (would only wear one for embarkation/debarkation - I don't do elevators anyway so doesn't matter for me there). At least I think it was this thread, they should merge the two RCI mask threads!

At last.  I thought I was hitting my head against a brick wall for nothing.

• Like 1

Just now, Tree_skier said:

I posted this on the other mask thread but since I posted extensively on this one as well, I'll repost here as a final post for me on this subject........

.....This is my final post on masks. 

Well....next to last anyway.  😁

I was going to read the last 2 chapters of a book tonight...but that manifesto filled any urge for reading today.  Thanks.