Would you cruise if Wearing a mask is mandatory?

Would you cruise if wearing a mask is Mandatory?  

711 members have voted

1. 1. Will you cruise if wearing a mask is mandatory?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

7 minutes ago, johnjen said:

I'm not against mask wearing, but I see potential for this being a legal disaster, HIPAA violations where someone asks for specific reasons they can't wear one, etc. There's this card floating around online, a vague attempt trying to make it appear official, when it isn't...and, if you catch the error in it, say what it is, LOL

mask rule.jpg

the “newest” version of support animal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Then I'd better start lifting and shifting.

We only have 2 cruises booked, shifted one and just moved the other one(different itineray), no change fee.

Our dates are September 2021 and April 2022

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

First of all it is HIPAA not HIPPA. Secondly HIPAA adresses no such thing. It only applies to medical facilities. Next, I'm no lawyer but I don't know what protections the Constitution of the U.S. provides its citizens once they leave the country. My guess would be none.

Living north of the 49th thanks for the explanation.

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

We only have 2 cruises booked, shifted one and just moved the other one(different itineray), no change fee.

Our dates are September 2021 and April 2022

I just wish something would get started soon so I could see if I want to keep my January cruise or not.

8 minutes ago, johnjen said:

It'll be a constant monitoring and policing NIGHTMARE....

I agree.  The thing about cruising is that people eat and drink everywhere.  I don't see how social distancing is possible unless the ships sail half full.  Testing people for the virus before boarding makes so much more sense than requiring a mask while on the ship.

• Like 3

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

I just wish something would get started soon so I could see if I want to keep my January cruise or not.

Even it something would start soon, it may not be with how it will be for a January Cruise....

Just now, Jimbo said:

Even it something would start soon, it may not be with how it will be for a January Cruise....

I know but I'd still like to see what happens. Even if I miss the August 1 deadline to L&S at least I have up until 48 hours before the cruise to cancel for an FCC.

21 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Not just RCI. The cruise industry has enough of an image problem right now. Controversy of any type is not going to help the cause and the media will be more than happy to bring any controversy to the forefront.

It’s better to get it right the first time. May not have any 2nd chances. I still think one of the biggest obstacles to overcome, how will they handle an onboard outbreak?  What changes in Medical Staff and facilities?  I don’t believe the CDC will accept any plan that dumps infected individuals off into US Ports. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It’s better to get it right the first time. May not have any 2nd chances. I still think one of the biggest obstacles to overcome, how will they handle an onboard outbreak?  What changes in Medical Staff and facilities?  I don’t believe the CDC will accept any plan that dumps infected individuals off into US Ports. 

Maybe they can set up an area of cabins just for quarantining passengers who test positive.

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I understand and certainly don't have the answers. I can't fathom a cruise ship having the medical capabilities of a full service hospital. I think we are fortunate to have as much capability at sea as we actually do. Heck, we have rural hospitals on land that can't offer a lot more than a cruise ship can. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

the “newest” version of support animal. 

Thing on that was, "HIPPA" should be "HIPPA" and cheers to the amazingly brilliant idea on the "government agents" thing....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Thing on that was, "HIPPA" should be "HIPPA" and cheers to the amazingly brilliant idea on the "government agents" thing....

I think you got that wrong.😄 But I know your intent.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

No, I think the regulations put in for August sailings will set the tone for the entire season. I’ve heard it will set protocols for isolation on board, agreement of ports to disembark sick passengers, sanitation, spacing, etc. the RC CEO interview the other day did not mention masks- yet!! I agree the best plan? Get the 15 minute virus test at embarkation building, test everyone. Negatives get a colored band on wrist to proceed on board. Positive get refund and go home. It’s so logical it hurts. Those tests are out there. If done right they are extremely accurate. Better than masks on, off, on, off ad nausem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How many days of a 7 day cruise will the 15 minute test take  to do 6000 passengers? If you just got infected by the people that tested postive while waiting in line, how long will that take on a cruise to infect those negative people once onboard the ship?

Edited by Jimbo

One thing I know for sure, if masks are required, there will be people either disobeying the rule “it’s my vacation”...or pulling them down beneath their nose...which seems to be the style among essential employees where I live...or otherwise finding ways to circumvent the rule. 

So if I believe that proper mask obedience and protocol is necessary to save my life, I’d be in a state of anxiety every time I left my cabin. And I haven’t much faith in RCCL capturing, isolating and disembarking mask deniers.

How is that going to work?

i do not want to go on vacation and be anxious. I also don’t intend to be the cruise police, reporting people who are non compliant or part way compliant. I am not spending money to do either.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

Masks required at embarkation site. Most ships will intentionally sail at 50% capacity until a vaccine. Test only needed once prior to boarding. Just stagger the boarding by time allotments over 4 hours. Very doable and safe.

Test at every port or just the embarkation port?  People could certainly pick up the virus at any port.

53 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

Masks required at embarkation site. Most ships will intentionally sail at 50% capacity until a vaccine. Test only needed once prior to boarding. Just stagger the boarding by time allotments over 4 hours. Very doable and safe.

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Test at every port or just the embarkation port?  People could certainly pick up the virus at any port.

There is also the fact that no test will be able to pick up if you have just contracted the virus.  It needs to incubate.  Therefore people will test negative who will in a few days time be positive.

2 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

Get the 15 minute virus test at embarkation building, test everyone. Negatives get a colored band on wrist to proceed on board. Positive get refund and go home. It’s so logical it hurts. Those tests are out there. If done right they are extremely accurate.

This would be a site to see. 2 parents and 4 kids bouncing off the walls ready to get their cruise on NOW!

"Just a few more minutes, Johnny, you'll be the first on the water slide, I promise! Suzie, they have a cupcake class!"

5, 4, 3, 2, 1

"Ugh, Mrs Smith, your test came back positive. You cannot board. No ma'am, we don't reimburse for hotel. No ma'am, not for your 6 hour flights either."

Set up a Web Cam and charge admission.

Edited by ThirstyCruiser

If masks are mandatory, I will want to know specifically how RCCL is going to insure that this mandatory rule is enforced. They hardly have a reliable record about past rules, but those were mainly  annoyances and chair hogs and dress violators were not perceived by many to be endangering their lives. 

Smokers maybe...but we never shut down the economy for months because somebody lit up on a balcony...so what is RCCL to do?

Will an army of staff be stationed throughout the ship to intervene with non compilers? I can see the possibly infectious spit flying in confrontations In public places. Not good. 

How many people can be confined to staterooms and how many will be frogmarched off ships? How many staff must be dedicated to police and enforcement issues. Remember many parts of the country are not as mask compliant as others. Will cruisers have to sign a document swearing to have nose and mouth covered in....what places? How soon after eating, drinking? 

ideas?

Edited by hazence

1 hour ago, Dinglebert said:

There is also the fact that no test will be able to pick up if you have just contracted the virus.  It needs to incubate.  Therefore people will test negative who will in a few days time be positive.

That's a great point. There is always the chance a person could become infected just from being near somebody else at the embarkation port. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dwight1 said:

Most islands have very low infection rate and from what I understand masks will be required onshore by local authorities.

Where have you seen this about masks being required? I have not seen much of anything about what will be required in various ports that cruise ships dock in, either in the Caribbean or in other places such as Europe or Asia.

As long as the world sees SARS-CoV-2 and COVID19 deaths continue there will be a hopefully elevated sense of mitigation required.

Look at Brazil and Mexico right now, two very poor countries and what is happening.  I'd say allowing a few thousand people out of a ship where they have been mingling very close and intimate in the cabin, theater, pool, buffet line, elevator right after traveling from all over the globe and intermingled on the airplane with no mitigation is absolute either madness or brilliance.

Either you say let everyone get it and let the strong survive or do a little mitigation, test/masks and try to at least prevent the superspreader to become just a spreader.

I was at a popular chain store today, then the grocery store and at a restaurant (inside eating now allowed) and hardly anyone was wearing masks.  The cashiers, the wait staff and a few senior shoppers (me included) were the only ones wearing masks.

There will be no mask requirement when cruising resumes nor will there be social distancing (thank goodness!).

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 3