When will you cruise again? How will travel change for you?

nhtravels

When will you cruise again?  Are you currently booked (on a "not-cancelled" date)?  What changes will you make in future plans (ie. more land based travel, closer to home, or will you travel more?)

We would have been on the Bliss leaving Sunday 5/31.  We had already booked the Breakaway for 5/14/21 (ABC islands) and decided to add the Bliss Panama Canal for 2/4/22 using up some FCC.  

I think we'll do our annual Atlantis trips in October and January. If I can find a great deal, maybe try and rebook Alaska for next September.  

• Like 1

I'll cruise again when there are no masks required on the ship, social distancing measures are no longer required, there are no widespread outbreaks happening anywhere in the United States, and there is no reasonable likelihood of being quarantined on the ship in the event of an outbreak. 

So a year from now, at best. 

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, HavenHater55 said:

I'll cruise again when there are no masks required on the ship, social distancing measures are no longer required, there are no widespread outbreaks happening anywhere in the United States, and there is no reasonable likelihood of being quarantined on the ship in the event of an outbreak. 

So a year from now, at best. 

Amen.  In addition, I would like the buffet to be open.  

• Like 6

9 hours ago, nhtravels said:

When will you cruise again?  Are you currently booked (on a "not-cancelled" date)?  What changes will you make in future plans (ie. more land based travel, closer to home, or will you travel more?)

We would have been on the Bliss leaving Sunday 5/31.  We had already booked the Breakaway for 5/14/21 (ABC islands) and decided to add the Bliss Panama Canal for 2/4/22 using up some FCC.  

I think we'll do our annual Atlantis trips in October and January. If I can find a great deal, maybe try and rebook Alaska for next September.  

Your future travel looks like this virus hasn't changed anything with you.  You are still planning on cruising without knowing if there are going to be restrictions.   And I assume that you will have to travel to the to a least one of the cruise ports.  Will those travel plans affect your future cruise?  We will not know about cruising until it actually happens.  And even then, I do not want to be on those first cruises.  I will give cruising another try when all cruise lines are operating and I can chose who and where I want to sail.  So no planned cruises for me and I have over 100 cruises with seven different cruise lines.

Edited by pickle11

We have a cruise scheduled for mid October 2020 and will sail if allowed. I work in the medical field so I am used to wearing masks for long periods of time pre Covid-19. I'll follow simple guidelines/procedures put forth but the cruise lines and know that a couple hiccups on my vacation are far better than a week at work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've had 5 cruises canceled so far this year, 3 with RCCL and 2 with Princess. I have cruises scheduled in September (RCCL), December (NCL) and January (Princess and RCCL). I *think* the December and/or January cruises will go with restrictions. I am doubtful about the September cruise. I am highly concerned about a trip flying about 2 1/2 hours to visit my family in July...I may still be canceling that for this year. It's a very long drive that I can't make in one day but flying at this time is not very appealing either.

I dont feel like it will have any impact on my life what so ever. The only thing I am afraid of is this situation last for another year or two. I dont want to stay at home any longer or work from home while my kids and wife are at home and going crazy already. I want to start travelling like I did before: with no restrictions, masks and etc. Hope it will be like that next year 

• Like 1

I don't know when I will cruise again.  My long-anticipated British Isles cruises in May was canceled.  I researched replacement cruises in 2021 and 2022 on which I could use the FCC, but ultimately I decided to take the refund instead.  There are too many unknowns about cruising, and travel in general, for me to be comfortable making any plans at all right now.   

I was going on my canceled cruise as a solo, and the social nature of cruising was why I felt comfortable doing the trip by myself.   How does one be sociable while social-distancing at a dining room table, at a bar, in the theater, around the pool?   I wear a mask when doing essential errands around town, but I don't want to wear one on a vacation.   I view the need for one as a recognition that a potentially deadly virus is still circulating, and perhaps it's not a good idea for me, as a senior citizen, to be in crowds as long as masks are recommended. 

What will flying be like?  Arriving at the airport 4 hours before the flight to allow for additional screening and spaced-out lines?   What will airline pricing be if a certain number of seats are deliberately left empty?  How many seats need to be empty to allow passengers to be 6 feet apart?   How comfortable would I be on a flight without social distancing?  

After many cruises in the Caribbean,  I am primarily interested in cruises (and land vacations) in Europe at this time.  What will social-distancing be like at the Eiffel Tower, Westminster Abbey, the Colosseum, the Sistine Chapel, Edinburgh Castle, and all the other popular sites?   Extremely high admission fees to reduce the crowds, with reservations needed far, far in advance?   Whatever one chooses to do, it seems impossible to avoid crowds on port visits.  

I also wonder if the currently published 2021 and 2022 itineraries, particularly in Europe, may be altered if demand doesn't bounce back.  I don't want to again have to deal with a canceled cruise and then have to cancel flights, ground transportation, admission to attractions, and hotels.   (I know any cruise can be canceled for any number of reasons; it's happened to me a few times on Caribbean itineraries.  But I see a higher-than-normal risk in these times of travel uncertainty, and I am more comfortable avoiding that risk than taking it on.)

Before the pandemic, I had booked a cruise in Europe for late August of 2021.  I will keep that reservation, as it's a refundable deposit and final payment isn't due until next May.  At that time, I will be in a better position to decide if I want to go.   I will wait until then to make flight reservations.

We all adapted to increased security measures after 9/11, so maybe I will adapt to whatever changes come due to this pandemic.  But I don't know what those changes will be, or what the status of a vaccine will be, so my choice is not to make any big plans for the time being.

I don't know what I will do for travel or recreation in the meantime.   Maybe take walks in some lightly-visited state park that's within driving distance.   Maybe nothing.  It makes me sad, but staying healthy is more important.  But as a show of faith that I will get to Europe at some point, I am hanging on to the euros and pounds that I got for my canceled cruise rather than selling them back to my bank.  🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a cruise scheduled for Thanksgiving week this year but cancelled because of the COVID-19 concerns.  Our next cruise isn't scheduled until September of 2021 followed by a cruise in October of 2022.   I would think that would be time enough to allow this Pandemic to come to some type of resolution - even if no vaccine has been developed.  My desired cruises are overseas and so I don't see cruising happening anytime in 2020.  The November cruise was to the Caribbean which is also up in the air with Port access as well.  I will just schedule a land vacation here in the US for the end of the year.  I am very antsy to get out of the house and be able to comfortably sit at a restaurant, a concert, anything!  I can wait though.   I can definitely wait.

Nothing's changed, per se except I have quarantined myself and family for 2+ months.  Just starting to go out and getting back to normal.  Restaurants around here have opened back up, but only 50% capacity (should be 100% capacity in June).  Got a haircut (finally) last week.  Had my May 31, 2020 cruise cancelled on Royal Caribbean Oasis.

Thinking things will be in full swing my July 1.  Booked an NCL Alaskan Cruise for October 2020 as a result.  Ready to go!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We will sail again when the CDC quits cancelling our cruises. Face masks in one pocket and hand sanitizer in the other. 

I have always cruised with hand sanitizer in my purse.  Getting used to wearing the mask now!

I'll spend more time on my larger balcony, then put on my mask to walk through the ship😉

• Like 2

will cruise again when we don't have to wear a mask, no quarantines on the ship and air travel is back to maybe 50% normal , probably a year or more from now. We are not interested taking a cruise that will feel like a floating hospital 😞

Edited by spanishguy1970
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Nothing's changed, per se except I have quarantined myself and family for 2+ months.  Just starting to go out and getting back to normal.  Restaurants around here have opened back up, but only 50% capacity (should be 100% capacity in June). !

Pretty much what we did.  We are venturing out on a road trip next week to Gulf Shores, AL.  A friend gave us use of his condo for a couple days of beach time.  We looked at the stats, particularly in our area for our demographic and decided it was time to move forward with life. 

• Like 2

We have two cruise booked; one Thanksgiving week and June 2021.  I have practiced social distancing for years when possible because I do not like crowds, not from any fear of getting sick. 

We will just do land vacations in US. I fall in that 'age bracket" with one of those "conditions" type 2.

IF anything happens US hospitals are more equipped to handle it. 

I've enjoyed cruising and might do more, just not until the cruiselines get all the bugs worked out.

I'm  NOT going on a cruise to Social Distance, wear a mask, wait for an elevator longer than you do now ( mobility issue takes awhile to do stairs) and definitely not until I see/hear how the new guidelines are.

• Like 2

I will cruise once there is no requirement to wear a mask. ALl other measures would be acceptable for me.

Currently booked on the NYC-NOLA route on the breakaway in November ( but i don`t think it will happen) and a european cruise in April 2021(that will for sure work and most likely without many restrictions)

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 11:16 PM, mugtech said:

Will not cruise until it is up and running for 6 months.  Probably take a bus to NYC, could mean a longer wait.  Will not wear a mask on a cruise.

Same with me- I usually take a bus to NYC and stay over the day before.

It could be a few years for me. 

On 5/29/2020 at 11:36 AM, graphicguy said:

Thinking things will be in full swing my July 1.  Booked an NCL Alaskan Cruise for October 2020 as a result.  Ready to go!

Guessing you won't be stopping in Canada.  Please give us a full review, should be educational.

On 5/29/2020 at 1:44 PM, beerman2 said:

We will just do land vacations in US. I fall in that 'age bracket" with one of those "conditions" type 2.

IF anything happens US hospitals are more equipped to handle it. 

I've enjoyed cruising and might do more, just not until the cruiselines get all the bugs worked out.

I'm  NOT going on a cruise to Social Distance, wear a mask, wait for an elevator longer than you do now ( mobility issue takes awhile to do stairs) and definitely not until I see/hear how the new guidelines are.

in case 

Ditto to all of the above with the exception of no conditions just age mid 70's.  We do have a April 2021 cruise that was booked way back in September with a minimum deposit.  We returned from our last cruise on March 14th when everything was shutting down I was never so glad to be off a ship in my life.  So after being home for a few weeks I decided I better look into a US land vacation as a back up in case cruising won't be a option anymore for us.  We now also have a condo reserved on the gulf coast of Florida we'll have to wait and see.  I know if we don't cruise again I will be really sad. 

6 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

We now also have a condo reserved on the gulf coast of Florida we'll have to wait and see.  I know if we don't cruise again I will be really sad. 

Same for us, do not intend to do any flying, take a bus or car land vacation.  Hope to cruise again, waiting for all the kinks to be worked out.  We never book a cruise right before or right after a dry dock, gonna take that same approach next year, read a lot of reviews.

We intend to return to cruising, but expect it to be the last form of travel that fully returns. We shifted our Christmas cruise to 2021 and are still not 100% sure about our Greek isles cruise in summer 2021. 

We did book a ski trip hotel for December, and will wait and see. We booked it with points that were from cancelled trips earlier this year that are fully refundable up to 24 hours before arrival, so no risk. We probably won't book flights until October or November if we're comfortable with where things are.