Carnival shares

Dorset Cruiser

13 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

Okay.   I got the email information here.  Will wait and see; it's only been a week.  We have 6+ months until the cruise.  Thanks for the info.  Guess I will have to go snail mail.

If you booked through a travel agent, the instructions now say you can get your proof of ownership to the TA as well.

Bought a few more shares at 18.69. This keeps going up even though the market is down. Hard to understand given extension of cruising ban.

i think there will be tremendous demand for 2021 cruises thats why i booked two for next fall. Social distancing and increased demand means less rooms for sale and probably at a higher cost once a vaccine is found. Personally if you want to go next year, I would place a small deposit now.of. Of course  I could be wrong ,but just seeing strength of stock causes one to wonder what will happen when things open up.

• Like 1

So, if I understand right, a basic 7 day cruise nets you a $100 OBC...is that correct?  Which means from when I bought my 100 shares a few weeks back, I would have to take 8 cruises to break even.  Since you normally do 1 a year and I'm currently 61 years old, if it goes up a few hundred more dollars, shoudl I sell?  Seems like I may do better in the long run, especially if CCL changes their policy and don't give the $100 credit moving forward.  Thoughts from some of you investor types?

23 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

So, if I understand right, a basic 7 day cruise nets you a $100 OBC...is that correct?  Which means from when I bought my 100 shares a few weeks back, I would have to take 8 cruises to break even.  Since you normally do 1 a year and I'm currently 61 years old, if it goes up a few hundred more dollars, shoudl I sell?  Seems like I may do better in the long run, especially if CCL changes their policy and don't give the $100 credit moving forward.  Thoughts from some of you investor types?

I'm not an investor type but if you bought 100 shares at $8, then with the price of the shares today being at $18.40 you are now ahead (on paper) $1,040 (the stock now being worth $1,840.00) before you even apply for your first OBC.  After the 8th cruise you will still own the stock which will be what by then?  Nobody has the answer to that question.  But you will have gained an additional $800 tax free.  If you are very concerned about the risk of losing your original $800.00, the stock market may not be for you.  I'm keeping my stock for the long haul - OBC or not.  Just my 2 cents...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I purchased 100 shares one time (for the OBC) and an additional 11 another time (as an investment), both purchases at a higher stock price than the current one.

But between the OBC I have received over the years and the dividends paid, my effective cost of the 200 shares is $0.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I'm not an investor type but if you bought 100 shares at $8, then with the price of the shares today being at $18.40 you are now ahead (on paper) $1,040 (the stock now being worth $1,840.00) before you even apply for your first OBC.  After the 8th cruise you will still own the stock which will be what by then?  Nobody has the answer to that question.  But you will have gained an additional $800 tax free.  If you are very concerned about the risk of losing your original $800.00, the stock market may not be for you.  I'm keeping my stock for the long haul - OBC or not.  Just my 2 cents...

Yeah, I was sort of thinking out loud...things have been slow lately.  Not worried about the $800.  I started an E-Trade account for fun and something to do.  The thought was, if my goal was to get spending money for trips, then by cashing in would I have met that goal.  Wanted to get some opinions and I appreciate your statement.  I really had no intention of selling unless the overall response was to sell.  LOL!  Yeah, I know...COVID has us all finding ways to spend our days.  I shall do as you rcommend with your $.02 and hang on until either CCL goes Tango Uniform or I decide to quit cruising.  Cheers!!!

• Like 1

Totally agree with Caribill and others about the benefits of Carnival stock.  We bought our 100 when the last Carnival disaster occurred and the price dropped to $30.  We take 3 or 4 cruises a year and many times get the full $250 OBC.  But even if we only received a$100 a cruise, we paid off the price of the shares a while ago and still have them.  Best return on the dollar you can guarantee as long as you cruise enough.

• Like 3

Not sure what oskidunker means about the market being down. The market has been going up ever since it hit bottom in March. And now CCL stock skyrocketed in early trading this morning. Over $22 per share. The entire Market is up over 2% today. With unemployment rate much less than expected that is good news for the economy.

Edited by frugaltravel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The email worked, but I got a message that our cruise is too far out.  The statement has to be within 3 months of the cruise.  I guess that makes sense.

We started buying in the low 30s, and picked up more when it dropped to the teens.  We're down thousands of dollars, but with stocks you have to have the stomach for the long haul.  Not planning on selling CCL until we're too infirmed to cruise ;-), so it doesn't really matter until that point.  In the mean time, we'll enjoy the benefits. 

1 hour ago, WAMarathoner said:

The email worked, but I got a message that our cruise is too far out.  The statement has to be within 3 months of the cruise.  I guess that makes sense.

Well this looks like a new/old policy

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Might have also wished you had waited to sell 🙂

True but there might be other opportunities. It seems to stay at whatever it opens with as lots of after hours trading going on. 

1 hour ago, WAMarathoner said:

Very odd. The 3 month thing used to be the limit but for the couple of years or so I have been able to submit my requests waaaaaaaaaaaaay far in advance. I have submitted shareholder requests more than a year out and had them applied immediately. I used to send the fax from work but now I use faxzero.com as I no longer do that "work" thing. I refared a cruise for next June which caused the shareholder OBC to fall off of the reservation (annoying how that always happens with a refare) so I just sent in a new request about 30 minutes ago. I just use a Word doc and I use the "snip" function of Windows 10 to snag what I need from my TD Ameritrade statement online. I include a snip from the Princess site with the cruise info, my contact info, and snips from the account statement. (The snip function allows me to black out my account number before pasting the info into the document.) I've never had an issue doing it this way.

Note:  I'm amazed that so many people have never heard of the "snip" function in Windows 10. This is an amazingly useful tool. You can simply hit the windows key and then type the word snip (I have it pinned to the Start menu). That opens a box and you can make a new "snip" of anything that is displayed on the screen. Use it to selectively cut part of a web page to paste as an image.  For instance here is a snip of the menu bar at the top of this posting window:

image.png.ab89a3b775edc55e1ae7fe17fd7af081.png

• Thanks 1

If I am not mistaken, Princess has changed their policy in regard of new safety measures like 5 times in one month. I am tired of receiving these letters from cruise companies informing me about changes in their policies. I will wear mask, relax and I will keep social distancing - I promise 

23 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

If you take a 10 day cruise you get $250 OBC so it gets to net zero even quicker 

• Like 1