Will Florida cruises start back up in August?

Everyone in SC is freaking out about a "spike" in new cases.  We have seen an increase.  However, there are currently, according to the SC DHEC website, only 536 are hospitalized currently in the ENTIRE state of 5 million.  Positive tests are fairly meaningless, it's how many positive actually require medical care and is that number overtaking hospital bed availability.  

The positive test is just the media and politicians way of scaring the population.  Notice how you can't find numbers for the "currently infected"?  I don't care who tested positive a month ago.  I want to know how many are currently sick and of that, how many require hospitalization, out of the positive tests.  

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, MrCoachRentz said:

Everyone in SC is freaking out about a "spike" in new cases.  We have seen an increase.  However, there are currently, according to the SC DHEC website, only 536 are hospitalized currently in the ENTIRE state of 5 million.  Positive tests are fairly meaningless, it's how many positive actually require medical care and is that number overtaking hospital bed availability.  

The positive test is just the media and politicians way of scaring the population.  Notice how you can't find numbers for the "currently infected"?  I don't care who tested positive a month ago.  I want to know how many are currently sick and of that, how many require hospitalization, out of the positive tests.  

Nashville does give this information and also, I think weekly,  the availability of hospital beds and ICU beds.  Sometimes those numbers are not pretty.  They tell us how many recovered.  Part of the problem I understand is that some people may not appear to be sick but still transmit the virus.   That's a big problem.   

Fed chairman Powell says social distancing will hurt industries that require crowds, like flying and cruising.

Not sure what he meant, .. that cruises should aim to some sort of social distancing, like airlines blocking the middle seat?

2 hours ago, chaswelf said:

CDC said today it doesn't know when cruises will start again according to Royal Caribbean blog

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

This is what the CDC said. It can be interpreted many ways and nothing new here. 

“Meeting these criteria does not mean cruise ships can resume passenger operations. We don’t have enough information at this time to say when it will be safe to resume sailing with passengers. Cruise lines may need to establish additional safety measures before sailing with passengers is permitted to resume. CDC will continue to evaluate and update its recommendations as the situation evolves."

That is a stretch.  They don't know or they "don't have enough information to say when"...what other way is there to interpret that?

5 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

A disgruntled employee. Even some of the liberal rags indicate she had previous work related issues. 

In my opinion 

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Where in the world did you get your info?  Who told you people were traveling to different states infected with COVID 19 and getting more than one test?  Are you saying the COVID 19 deaths are being counted more than once?

Again, where did you get this information?

Well the lady sounds, at best, unreliable.  I can't even fathom someone infected even being allowed to leave the Dr/Hospital and cross state lines to get tested in another state..and then another state.  Who would actually think of such a thing?  That right there tells me the source is invalid.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

That is a stretch.  They don't know or they "don't have enough information to say when"...what other way is there to interpret that?

If one reads the article, it was a discussion about reparations of crew and I believe more than a week or so old. Who knows what information they have now. I don’t. 

M8

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Fed chairman Powell says social distancing will hurt industries that require crowds, like flying and cruising.

Yep, I think that comment made the stock market dip a bit today. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

Just now, firefly333 said:

Ncl made the announcement just at market close. ...lol wonder if on purpose came out just as market closed. 

Absolutely certain it was by design.  Guess the others will follow.  I mentioned on the NCL  board that I hoped this new wave of cancellations wasn't a result of a bad meeting with the CDC...of which details have yet to be released.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

If one reads the article, it was a discussion about reparations of crew and I believe more than a week or so old. Who knows what information they have now. I don’t. 

M8

They didn't know at the time the statement was made, which the poster was referring to.  Could circumstances have changed.  Maybe.  But it doesn't leave the original statement open to "interpretation".

And based on this news posted, it seems they still don't know.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23100-norwegian-oceania-and-regent-cancel-august-and-september-sailings.html

Edited by harkinmr

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Ncl made the announcement just at market close. ...lol wonder if on purpose came out just as market closed. 

Ha all the stocks will be tanking tomorrow, after hours are already down

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NYSE:NCLH) is down 8.11% in AH trading after announcing an extension of cruise suspensions until September 30 for the Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises brands.

The company is also cancelling select voyages through October 2020, including Canada and New England sailings, due to travel and port restrictions.

As it has been saying for several months now, NCLH reiterates that it will continue to work in tandem with the CDC, the federal government and global public health authorities to take all necessary precautions to ensure the health, safety and security of guests, crew and the communities visited.

Royal Caribbean (NYSE:RCL) is off 4.44% in AH trading and Carnival (NYSE:CCL) is 4.25% lower.

Florida Governor just gave statistics regarding COVID19. He gave a good explanation why the increase in positives. Lots in migrant workers and farm camps. However, very few sick (Asymptomatic). What was important, hospitalizations down 43% and ICU admissions down 50%. We still have issues with the long term care facilities. They account for 86% of the deaths. They are now testing every two weeks in these facilities. Prisons and jails have high numbers positive but few sick. Even some positive in long term care facilities are not showing signs. 

Density seems to be a big issue and in my opinion, might be a problem for cruising. 

M8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Florida Governor just gave statistics regarding COVID19. He gave a good explanation why the increase in positives. Lots in migrant workers and farm camps. However, very few sick (Asymptomatic). What was important, hospitalizations down 43% and ICU admissions down 50%. We still have issues with the long term care facilities. They account for 86% of the deaths. They are now testing every two weeks in these facilities. Prisons and jails have high numbers positive but few sick. Even some positive in long term care facilities are not showing signs. 

Density seems to be a big issue and in my opinion, might be a problem for cruising. 

M8

The Governor also mentioned that he was surprised, the median age for positive tests has changed, it was 37.  But he noted that a majority of deaths were in the older population, which is not a surprise. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

The Governor also mentioned that he was surprised, the median age for positive tests has changed, it was 37.  But he noted that a majority of deaths were in the older population, which is not a surprise. 

So what is median age now

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

The company is also cancelling select voyages through October 2020, including Canada and New England sailings, due to travel and port restrictions.

And NCL cancelled a 12 day on the Gem in April, 2021 out of NYC, saying it was because of repositioning.  The next cruise is out of Boston.

Edited by mugtech
Additional