Will Florida cruises start back up in August?

Just now, meadowlander said:

Many people, I am included, have never known Ron to lie

I thought the Governor was telling the truth. He had a good logical explanation. Hospitals typically run at about 3/4+ bed occupancy otherwise they couldn’t stay in business. The hospitals typically let staff know if bed shortages and need more beds. We see this here a few times when snowbirds are down. Haven’t seen the code called yet. He said COVID19 hospitalizations were down 43%. Can’t keep all the beds waiting for COVID19 patients. I recall the Governor of NY saying he needed 40k ventilators. He needed a hospital ship and two portable hospitals that were not needed. 

ABC said we had a bed shortage and increase in hospitalizations.

SMH. M8

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Florida Governor just gave statistics regarding COVID19. He gave a good explanation why the increase in positives. Lots in migrant workers and farm camps. However, very few sick (Asymptomatic). What was important, hospitalizations down 43% and ICU admissions down 50%. We still have issues with the long term care facilities. They account for 86% of the deaths. They are now testing every two weeks in these facilities. Prisons and jails have high numbers positive but few sick. Even some positive in long term care facilities are not showing signs. 

Density seems to be a big issue and in my opinion, might be a problem for cruising. 

M8

Ronnie is so far up Donnie's arse that he can't see the light of day. He'll say whatever it takes to deny reality. 

I just read about a dozen UCF students in Orlando were diagnosed and it traced back to one bar near campus. This is just the beginning. And college isn't even in session. I shudder to think about what things will look like in September. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

Ronnie is so far up Donnie's arse that he can't see the light of day. He'll say whatever it takes to deny reality. 

I just read about a dozen UCF students in Orlando were diagnosed and it traced back to one bar near campus. This is just the beginning. And college isn't even in session. I shudder to think about what things will look like in September. 

I don’t think our Governor sent COVID19 positive back to their long care facilities. 😇

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I recall the Governor of NY saying he needed 40k ventilators. He needed a hospital ship and two portable hospitals that were not needed. 

Yes, I recall that as well. The NY governor based those numbers on projections provided to him by...the federal government.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Just watched ABC WNT and they paint an entirely different story than the Governor. Obviously, one is not truthful. 

Sad

Who to believe,  a media outlet that may exaggerate for ratings or a governor who may downplay the issue as to not scare away travellers and their dollars. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I recall the Governor of NY saying he needed 40k ventilators. He needed a hospital ship and two portable hospitals that were not needed. 

Many projections called for 110,000 - 140,000 beds statewide.  Obviously,  you prepare for the worse and don't wait until there is a line out the door. 

In the end, I think the peak was 18,000 beds used. Amazing what a little social distancing and mask wearing can do. Sad other states didn't learn the lesson. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Who to believe,  a media outlet that may exaggerate for ratings or a governor who may downplay the issue as to not scare away travellers and their dollars. 

You take them both with a 5 gallon pail of salt. 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Or, an anticipated requirement based on projections for something never before experienced versus a look backwards at what happened, often referred to as ‘Monday morning quarterbacking’.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Many projections called for 110,000 - 140,000 beds statewide.  Obviously,  you prepare for the worse and don't wait until there is a line out the door. 

In the end, I think the peak was 18,000 beds used. Amazing what a little social distancing and mask wearing can do. Sad other states didn't learn the lesson. 

Yup a little preventive measure sure can help, but for many the concept of a mask and good behavior have become a political symbolism versus a biological / scientific driven behavior 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

I just read about a dozen UCF students in Orlando were diagnosed and it traced back to one bar near campus. This is just the beginning. And college isn't even in session. I shudder to think about what things will look like in September. 

Travel-wise today on WFTV (Orlando) - MCO Orlando airport says since mid-March 134 airport employees positive (airline employees, rental car agents, TSA, etc.), with another 128 non-airport employees positive traceable back to them. The good news is that "They said an additional 500 airport employees were tested over three days last week, and that only two tests came back positive, bringing the total number of positive airport employee cases to 134. “That would calculate to be a 0.4% positivity rate for COVID-19 for those 500 tests,” Brown said. “(Orange County Medical Officer Dr. Raul Pino) also advised that he believes the use of masks and facial coverings at MCO and the observance of social distancing is a significant contributor to the low positivity rates.”

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/134-orlando-international-airport-employees-have-tested-positive-covid-19-since-pandemic-began-officials-say/4PR7DNPLWZCGPPRESIUR65ICAI/

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending/15-friends-test-positive-coronavirus-after-visiting-florida-bar/W5G3NLWTWVAEBPAAUBBDYEN6ZQ/

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orange-county/7-orlando-firefighters-test-positive-covid-19-mayor-says/TQFBVNWW2ZFHNLUV6AMXHP5HVE/

A good thing that I have learned from Milwaukee Eight when watching this spike is to keep checking hospital statistics, death rates, ICU beds available, etc. and watch those, and that has really helped my stress over the situation. 😉

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

Source please on article on UCF - I saw 3 football players tested positive but nothing on 12 students?

On 6/16/2020 at 5:43 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

Florida Governor just gave statistics regarding COVID19. He gave a good explanation why the increase in positives. Lots in migrant workers and farm camps. However, very few sick (Asymptomatic). What was important, hospitalizations down 43% and ICU admissions down 50%. We still have issues with the long term care facilities. They account for 86% of the deaths. They are now testing every two weeks in these facilities. Prisons and jails have high numbers positive but few sick. Even some positive in long term care facilities are not showing signs. 

Density seems to be a big issue and in my opinion, might be a problem for cruising. 

M8

Problem is percentage of tests that came back positive has now doubled to over 10% and Pinellas county has now risen to over 12% positive. 

It was not bad whilst remaining at a similar positivity percentage but that jump makes me think R0 is increasing.

Edited by Spurschick
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

They are not UCF students, from what I understand one is a 40 year old health worker

Sorry-when I heard the strong last night, I thought they were college students. 

Regardless,  It is a bad story. 

m

1 hour ago, Spurschick said:

Problem is percentage of tests that came back positive has now doubled to over 10% and Pinellas county has now risen to over 12% positive. 

It was not bad whilst remaining at a similar positivity percentage but that jump makes me think R0 is increasing.

When % rise, as we test more, most certainly more admittance to hospital is going to be happen in 2-3 weeks and then deaths 2-4 weeks after that, sigh... 

5 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Sorry-when I heard the strong last night, I thought they were college students. 

Regardless,  It is a bad story. 

m

No worries.

I agree it’s bad. Even the healthcare worker that was one of the infected admitted she let her guard down. 

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I saw it on the news that 3 UCF football players tested positive. I think it was WFTV 9. I’ll look for a better source. 

Yes saw the 3 football players. It’s the dozen CruisingNole mentioned I can’t find.

8 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

Yes saw the 3 football players. It’s the dozen CruisingNole mentioned I can’t find.

Here’s another article.  Doesn’t exactly call out UCF students but . . .
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/education/os-ne-coronavirus-ucf-area-seminole-orange-20200617-pwcqdh5sdbgxdc4fuge32gge34-story.html

• Like 1