MSC starting to recrew for Med in Aug

groryjm

With all the talk of suspensions and cancellations this seems a little more positive

MSC Cruises is looking for crew members for a potential August 1 start........ 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23075-msc-looking-for-crew-for-potential-august-1-start-up.html?fbclid=IwAR3cuMKy0TDa7cwHZsSfmOSsbpJdhlyQTR-RRKduwDGd17WSJzMKK4lttKI

I wonder in general how long it will take for cruise lines to recruit a crew and also train them on all the new protocols?  I wonder how reluctant crew members will be to go back on board ships after all that they have been through?  Recruiting might not be so easy.

• Like 1

While some  crew are recently off ships and may not want to return for awhile there were also a large number of crew who were on vacation when cruises were suspended.  Many of those have been off for 90 days at a minimum and may need to get back to work to support themselves.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Keep in mind that there is no CDC driving things in Europe.  There may be other regulatory agencies...  I don't know.  But in the US, the CDC is 'king'... is running the show.  EM

In a similar fashion its down to each countrys govt  Health Dept and advisory (slightly more simple as theres no Federal on top (much as Brussels would like 🙂  ..)  though it does mean you get crossing or no parity  advice at the moment even in the Schengal borders with one country saying yes to anything and another saying yes but dont go to ABCD or dont accept anyone from ABCD)

Spain Portugal and Greece and some areas of Italy have already said they will be open for business and tourism for the summer..  It makes it quite easy for the European lines like Costa and MSC to get rolling again as they have a high % of Italian, Spanish and generally European guests... They also have most of the fleet already in position.

I suspect some of the big US/UK carriers may find it more difficult though simply to a)fill the ships or b)even get people to them or c)find anywhere that will accept them once they have filled them to reduced capacity- -not helped by the UKs farcical quarantine (which is now being legally challenged by the airlines - though I suspect it will be ditched before it ever sees a court)

Edited by ighten

9 hours ago, kebrown said:

This is so encouraging.  I really hope my Apex cruise in August can still happen.  It feels so good to finally ready a positive post about cruises resuming soon.

I really hope so for you (having had three cruises cancelled myself) but I think your August cruise is no chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheffield said:

Cant imagine they would not want people from the UK and the US sailing with the high numbers of virus cases that both countries have. Probably be for Europeans only. 

You beat me to it. I’m afraid it will be a while before US citizens are welcome in many European countries.

• Like 1

X has some ships stationed around Europe- so they might be the first to sail again. I don´t see any ship start sailing out of the US or England in the near future!

Germany managed to avoid chaos and mayhem in their hospitals- the goverment acted swift and with care- still we have our own share of protesters for the strict Lock Down for 9 weeks.

I fear for a second wave after the boarders in Europe are opend up next week or the coming weeks!

Intersting is that not a single messure to return to an - albeit new- normal caused a rise in new cases. That may have something to do with the mandatory mask we all wear now. ( Well all over the world i might presume)

So i do expect Masks are mandatory on the first post epedemic cruises!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jelayne said:

While some  crew are recently off ships and may not want to return for awhile there were also a large number of crew who were on vacation when cruises were suspended.  Many of those have been off for 90 days at a minimum and may need to get back to work to support themselves.  

You might be right but I am guessing that some crew members will not come back or new crew members will not sign up after all of the horrible publicity on how crew members have been affected (not to mention infected) during the pandemic.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KateWes said:

got this through via email this morning! Interesting to see what other lines are doing but again nothing guaranteed as it will hugely depends on the ports!

Patiently waiting for an official celebrity announcement about my Aug cruise 

At this stage it's to early, but by end of the month we should know what will happen in August. At least Apex is already in Europe, this is already a good thing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

At this stage it's to early, but by end of the month we should know what will happen in August. At least Apex is already in Europe, this is already a good thing.

Unfortunately Lady APEX is "All Dressed Up With No Place To Go".

Edited by TeeRick

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Unfortunately Lady APEX is "All Dressed Up With No Place To Go".

A lady's not ready until she puts on her jewelry. 😉

Once she does, many of us will be ready to cross the Pond with her in October. 🎉🍾🥂🍾

• Like 2
  • Haha 1