Is the Anthem that bad now?

I've been on the Anthem several times(all in either Jan. or Feb.). It's a very well laid-out ship. The Explorer-class is still my favorite class, but the Anthem would be my second favorite. It does need some TLC now after just being on her this past Feb so I hope her drydock is still happening. The SeaPlex and the Royal Esplanade are wonderful. I still wouldn't mind if Spectrum or Odyssey end up in NJ in a year or so.

21 hours ago, LouMont said:

Looking to cruise January 2021, we are young 50’s Diamond members so we are very familiar with RCL. We live in NJ so getting to Bayonne is easy but we’ve always flew to Fla or SJU. Looking at the 11 day with a few concerns. Most of the reviews On the Anthem I’ve read are negative for various reasons, rowdy passengers, terrible food and service, dirty ship etc...Has it been that bad? Did a ship tour on her a few years ago and it didn’t seem that way but things change I’m sure. Here’s another question if you’ve read this far. Never did Celebrity and considering the Apex if completed by Jan. Big concern is being bored. We like the music by the pool and just the overall atmosphere going on the on the RCL big ships. We are late diners and usually hit the late shows, karaoke, comedians after dinner and are concerned that the ship is dead by then. Thanks for your opinions 

Most of the reviews?  How many have you actually read?  Ignoring maybe the majority of positive reviews?

I'll throw in my 2 cents... agree with all the posts thus far.  We have had terrific experiences on the Anthem.  As we sail in Grand Suites, we have access to Coastal Kitchen and the Suite Lounge, both of which are outstanding amenities in Royal's suite class.  Our last Anthem cruise was this past December.  We booked one for March in a Grand Loft, our first time in Star class with a Genie, et al.  Can't wait!

I cruised on Anthem a year ago.  It was spotlessly clean.  The food was great.  I experienced not rowdy behavior.  The crew was also great and so was the entertainment.  It was such a great cruise that I have it booked again for March 2021.

Enjoy Anthem.  It is a great RCL ship and the convenience to go out of Bayonne is a real benefit.

Before Anthem came here to NJ our favorite ship was Explorer and I didn't think anything would surpass it but I think Anthem definitely did. Sailed her twice now. We did book Oasis for this year, May cancelled, and Sept will be cancelled as well. Hopefully sometime this century we get to compare Oasis to Anthem.
I will say we are limited to the ships we sail because I do not fly at all so all our cruises are out of NJ.
We were so excited to try Oasis but looks like it ain't gonna happen your year.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Definitely agree with others that your concerns are largely unfounded. Sailed Anthem last fall and while it’s not my favorite class of ship, we really enjoyed her. 

BTW, the rowdy crowds are normally found on cruises much shorter than an 11-nighter. Want to relive your old college party days?  Take a 3, 4 or 5 nighter (especially on a cruise line which shall remain nameless) and you’ll most likely experience plenty of rowdy behavior. Longer duration cruises, especially taken when school is in session, will most likely have a very high percentage of “Q-tips” on board; I’m including myself in that group 😉

Lots of very nice venues aboard Anthem and the entertainment is wonderful!  I concur with the poster who’s DW loves the Royal Swedes, a rock/pop cover band that is aboard her more often than not in the Music Hall. They’re great and I wish I had found them earlier in our sailing than I did. 

DS and I have our first Celebrity sailing coming up next May (🤞🏼). While reading that portion of these boards, most people agree that Royal Caribbean entertainment is the best in the industry. 

Enjoy your cruise, whichever one you choose!

Ellen

32 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Yep, you taught me how to be a Diamond 🤪Now that we made it to D+ the world shut down😢

Oh NO!!!!!!🤪  I hope I tutored well. LOL!😁

We all just have to wait patiently and hope for the best. I am hoping to meet you again.....soon.🤞

59 minutes ago, dreamer976 said:

Longer duration cruises, especially taken when school is in session, will most likely have a very high percentage of “Q-tips” on board

Curious as to the reference to "Q-tips??"  That's a new one for me.

Regarding Anthem, we have always had great experiences on Anthem.  OP, you should not hesitate to book.

51 minutes ago, lovelife said:

Curious as to the reference to "Q-tips??"  That's a new one for me.

"... many of the passengers on Q-tip cruises are senior citizens or just seniors. That is, old people who have white hair that resembles the cotton on the ends of Q-tips."

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

"... many of the passengers on Q-tip cruises are senior citizens or just seniors. That is, old people who have white hair that resembles the cotton on the ends of Q-tips."

Oh dear, I'm old but my hair isn't white...……..I shudder to think what they call me! :classic_ohmy:

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Noreen411 said:

We love the Anthem and have been on several times.

We haven’t experienced any of the concerns you raised.

I have several Anthem reviews linked in my signature (including several of the winter 11 or 12 night sailings) if you want to read more about them / see pictures.

Happy to answer any questions you have

We are looking forward to getting on Anthem again

We have also tried Celebrity (Reflection and Silhouette) and loved those as well.  Reviews with pictures are linked for those also.  

We agreed with this review our last time on this ship was last Dec.,Didn't see any rowdy people food was ok..

Ship was clean.Dont know how many trips after that the ship have,i guess it could happen..

Regards,

Manny & Lydia LI NY

6 hours ago, toad455 said:

I've been on the Anthem several times(all in either Jan. or Feb.). It's a very well laid-out ship. The Explorer-class is still my favorite class, but the Anthem would be my second favorite. It does need some TLC now after just being on her this past Feb so I hope her drydock is still happening. The SeaPlex and the Royal Esplanade are wonderful. I still wouldn't mind if Spectrum or Odyssey end up in NJ in a year or so.

I'm curious what part of the Anthem did you feel needed TLC? 

We're debating an Anthem itinerary sometime mid-Dec to early Jan.

Is there any "truth" to the idea that the first and last seaday from NJ is "usually" a bit rougher that time of year? 

(yes, I know there are no weather guarantees and you're at the mercy of the ocean.....)

Edited by NateUpNorth
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

We're debating an Anthem itinerary sometime mid-Dec to early Jan.

Is there any "truth" to the idea that the first and last seaday from NJ is "usually" a bit rougher that time of year? 

(yes, I know there are no weather guarantees and you're at the mercy of the ocean.....)

.On most of my Anthem cruises - and there have been many, and most in December, January and February - those days were not rough.  Some were, but not all, so I would not worry about it.  If you don't feel well (mal de mer), Guest Services usually gives out meclizine tablets like candy.  🙂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

.On most of my Anthem cruises - and there have been many, and most in December, January and February - those days were not rough.  Some were, but not all, so I would not worry about it.  If you don't feel well (mal de mer), Guest Services usually gives out meclizine tablets like candy.  🙂 

Thanks! We have an ABC from Miami in Dec but those we are travelling with want to L&S to 2021. Thinking if that happens we may replace it with an Anthem from NJ...... this may have sealed the deal!

We sailed on anthem of the seas a few years ago and we're disappointed. The ship was in disrepair and obviously had suffered through all the storms. The room was smelly oh, it was not clean, the food wasn't that great. The suite amenities were less than what you had on the allure. You cannot discount the convenience of having the port in New Jersey, I just wish it was a better ship. Allure is our favorite ship.

4 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

Thanks! We have an ABC from Miami in Dec but those we are travelling with want to L&S to 2021. Thinking if that happens we may replace it with an Anthem from NJ...... this may have sealed the deal!

Can we now L&S to different departure ports and itineraries?  If so, yay!.  I hadn't heard that.

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I'm curious what part of the Anthem did you feel needed TLC? 

Just needed some touch up in terms of paint jobs and new carpeting in certain areas. The SeaPlex had a lot if dings and some of the chairs in the music hall were worn.

1 hour ago, lovelife said:

Can we now L&S to different departure ports and itineraries?  If so, yay!.  I hadn't heard that.

No, sorry. We'd L&S our existing due to concerns of those we're travelling with on that one, and book another one for this year.

13 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

No, sorry. We'd L&S our existing due to concerns of those we're travelling with on that one, and book another one for this year.

I think I was reading into it what I wanted to hear!!  We'll be on Anthem for 19 nights this December if she sails.  Wonderful ship and we can drive to Jersey.

9 hours ago, dreamer976 said:

DS and I have our first Celebrity sailing coming up next May (🤞🏼). While reading that portion of these boards, most people agree that Royal Caribbean entertainment is the best in the industry. 

Having sailed on Princess and Celebrity I would say that nobody books those lines for the entertainment.  While Celebrity had better entertainment than Princess neither can compare to Royal Caribbean.