Wall Street: CDC to blame for cruises not resuming sooner

Oxo

6 hours ago, karena1 said:

Totally agree!  The CDC hates that the cruise industry is not under their control since they are based in other countries, so want to get them under their thumb.  Totally unfair.

That statement is not based in fact or any form of common sense. 

The CDC is an agency and cannot ‘hate’, the CDC’s mandate is public health protection in the US. Current conditions onboard cruise ships have been analysed by health protection professionals as an obvious threat to public health.

Also, the CDC is the regulatory authority in the US only. Every other country has their own authority for public health, and each authority has made the same no sail decision. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The way Florida is going, I wouldn't go on anything leaving Florida. In fact, I don't know why anyone would want to come to Florida for any reason. Our Covid numbers are getting ridiculous, and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight. Our governor is doing nothing to improve the situation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Covid-19 virus is actually to blame, the CDC just happens to be the enforcement/regulatory Agency that had to respond.

Agreed they are not very popular right now, but even CLIA who said CDC was wrong has backed off a bit on their stance.

Did CLIA just throw their hands in the air and give up, or did they actually see/realize that there was some validity to what CDC was saying.

Florida is just insane right now with cases.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For those who say "let each person decide what risk to take, whether a cruise, going to the store, or to a rally", the problem appears to be that IF the person should become ill, it may be up to other people to deal with it, whether it is his family members or medical personnel.  If everyone who became ill simply isolated themselves somewhere and did not call for help from anyone for any reason, then they would bare the responsibility for their own decisions.  But that is not how it usually goes.  A person's illness normally affects others.

I love cruising, but am nowhere near going again at this time.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, teacherman said:

For those who say "let each person decide what risk to take, whether a cruise, going to the store, or to a rally", the problem appears to be that IF the person should become ill, it may be up to other people to deal with it, whether it is his family members or medical personnel.  If everyone who became ill simply isolated themselves somewhere and did not call for help from anyone for any reason, then they would bare the responsibility for their own decisions.  But that is not how it usually goes.  A person's illness normally affects others.

I love cruising, but am nowhere near going again at this time.

And some of these "let each person decide" are potentially part of the "masks are tyranny" crowd. 

Who could be asymptomatic or presymptomatic super spreaders. 

Thanks but no thanks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, karena1 said:

Totally agree!  The CDC hates that the cruise industry is not under their control since they are based in other countries, so want to get them under their thumb.  Totally unfair.

Wow, this is so wrong on so many levels.  If the cruise industry was "not under their control", how is it that the CDC has shut down every single cruise starting/ending/calling at a US port?  And, the CDC does not have "control" of US based industries as they are only mandated to prevent spread of disease from outside the US or in interstate travel.  All covid regulations in place in every state, county, and city in the US are following the state, county, and city health organization's requirements, the CDC can only recommend to the states.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Did CLIA just throw their hands in the air and give up, or did they actually see/realize that there was some validity to what CDC was saying.

Florida is just insane right now with cases.

I think cruise lines were hoping to “get going”.  That is until they took a look at their current primary guests from Florida, and they could see the potential for disaster.  

Whatever the case, all the cruise lines took the same step. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 3:25 PM, ECCruise said:

Never gonna happen.

The cruise lines are far more cognizant that if they DO "let the consumers decide" and there is a major outbreak, that is the end of cruising as a viable travel alternative. Done.  Finished.  Kaput.  And they know that consumers can be stupid.  Just read the number of people on here (obviously not a good cross-sample) who would cruise tomorrow if it were available. 

If they take their time, coordinate with the CDC, take they financial bite that they claim they can weather (I've heard over and over on here how they are not going to go belly-up because of the reserves they've amassed) and do it while watching the trends of the virus, they may succeed.

People getting the virus does not cause us any concern at all The reason for more, more testing. That is the only reason. As for wanting to cruise. My wife and I would go today if we could. We are not concerned at all. We will be cautious as we always are. Germs and viruses have always been there. Weather on a cruise or in a hotel or anywhere there are a lot of people. This will NOT coup us up in our home. If you are healthy you chance is real  low. if you have underlying conditions with your health you must be real careful. Simple, is it not? Masks, only if required.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

People getting the virus does not cause us any concern at all The reason for more, more testing. That is the only reason. As for wanting to cruise. My wife and I would go today if we could. We are not concerned at all. We will be cautious as we always are. Germs and viruses have always been there. Weather on a cruise or in a hotel or anywhere there are a lot of people. This will NOT coup us up in our home. If you are healthy you chance is real  low. if you have underlying conditions with your health you must be real careful. Simple, is it not? Masks, only if required.

I think you need to do a little more research.  And than look at it.

Florida testing is flat for the last 7 days. Cases are steadily rising.  The positive case rate % has risen every day for the last week.  Math says simply more testing isn't the sole issue.

Incidence of COVID in young people is considerably up.   45% of all cases under the age of 35 in FL.

If you can't see how different this is from other "germs and viruses" then nothing I, any medical professional or epidemiologist can say will convince you.  It is firmly in your mind view.

There is zero chance that you will going on a cruise anytime soon. My objection is that I really, really enjoy cruising (85 cruises on all 7 continents, 1200+ days afloat) and if this is not handled intelligently and in an adult manner, you, or other "must go on a cruise" crowd will sail too early, get involved with an infection, and ruin it for the rest of us when the cruise lines go belly up, which they absolutely will if there is another major outbreak.

Or, experience what we did in March, sailing all over the Indian Ocean with nowhere to go (including our disembarkation port) because 6 ports refused to accept us. And that was with 26 days aboard and ZERO infections.  But if the ports say no, you don't go.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

If you want to gamble with your health, or maybe your life, have at it, but it isn’t just you. You could pick up the virus and bring it home to your family, friends, neighbors, and other innocent people. That’s just selfish and uncaring for others.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Then how do you explain states that are doing more testing but are seeing fewer cases?

Also, you might want to take a look at this:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/florida

Florida has generally been doing less testing over the past week, as positive cases have skyrocketed.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why wait for a cruise? Go to the airport now and you can make the flight to Tulsa or wait for the Tuscon trip and take your chances. 

This way you can:

1. Not get the virus. 

2. Get a small case if it. 

3. Become a carrier.

4. Get tested and hope your test is 100% valid.

5. Go into ICU

6. Become part of the rising count of 119,460 moving towards

140 000.

Don't wear a mask.

Don't social distance

Just be brave!

With an attitude as shown, this will never go away. JMHO!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, clarky213 said:

If It was the CDC stopping cruise lines starting up again, why have they not started up in other regions of the world where CDC has no input?

Because those areas' governmental health agencies have banned cruise ships, or the maritime authorities have done so.

• Like 1

IMO,people who are taking a cavalier attitude about Covid-19 and its’ potentially deadly effects are going to contribute to the virus existing in the world for a very long time.

While someone may not be concerned about contracting the virus themselves, they need to consider those around him/her in their life. They may actually carry the disease to someone else who may just succumb to the virus.

The CDC,the medical community, the cruise line executives, or even the politicians are not causing the cruise lines to delay the start-up of cruising. It is people acting irresponsibly, not staying the course, that will cause cruises to be postponed far into the future.

Wear a Mask,Keep Social Distance,Stay the Course, Be Safe

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MJSailors said:

IMO,people who are taking a cavalier attitude about Covid-19 and its’ potentially deadly effects are going to contribute to the virus existing in the world for a very long time.

So if everyone did the mask & social distance thing, Covid would go away?  Why do you think that?  The country was basically locked down (not totally) for two months.  Covid is still here.  Short of an effective vaccine, *IF* that even materializes, I don't think it's going away. 

20 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So if everyone did the mask & social distance thing, Covid would go away?  Why do you think that?  The country was basically locked down (not totally) for two months.  Covid is still here.  Short of an effective vaccine, *IF* that even materializes, I don't think it's going away. 

Because it happened in other countries.  Not completely, but they certainly aren't seeing 30,000+ new cases every day.  Some are seeing extremely low numbers of new cases every day.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

If you are talking about "the country" as being the US, it was not even close to being "basically locked down"

Some states had no restrictions.  Others had weasel restrictions.  Many people followed NONE of the restrictions.  And compliance is getting worse by the minute.

Want evidence that social distancing and masks work?

Vietnam

Cambodia

Laos 

South Korea

(all, BTW bordering or close to CHINA)

New Zealand

Australia

and to a lesser degree but still very good results

Greece

Finland

Denmark

So, yes, if you wanted this thing to go away, social distance and wear a mask.  The big question is, in the US, have we gotten too complacent and thus gone too far?  Just looking at Tulsa last night made that pretty clear.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, ECCruise said:

If you are talking about "the country" as being the US, it was not even close to being "basically locked down"

Some states had no restrictions.  Others had weasel restrictions.  Many people followed NONE of the restrictions.  And compliance is getting worse by the minute.

Vietnam

Cambodia

Laos 

South Korea

(all, BTW bordering or close to CHINA)

New Zealand

Australia

and to a lesser degree but still very good results

Greece

Finland

Denmark

So, yes, if you wanted this thing to go away, social distance and wear a mask.  The big question is, in the US, have we gotten too complacent and thus gone too far?  Just looking at Tulsa last night made that pretty clear.

Add to that list:

Spain

Italy

Germany

France

16 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I think cruise lines were hoping to “get going”.  That is until they took a look at their current primary guests from Florida, and they could see the potential for disaster.  

Whatever the case, all the cruise lines took the same step. 

Correct.  I believe it was the cruise lines who extended to September 15, not the CDC.  The companies know a high percentage of their guests are in the high risk categories, and are still trying to come up with a plan on how to deal with that.  We were on Serenade B2B last winter, and decided the ship could have been renamed Assisted Living of the Seas.  Good luck with that demographic cooped up on a ship during a pandemic.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Because it happened in other countries.  Not completely, but they certainly aren't seeing 30,000+ new cases every day.  Some are seeing extremely low numbers of new cases every day.

I get that masks and social distancing work, and I do my part.  I'm just not convinced the disease will just "go away".  You couldn't get much more socially distant than when everything was shut down.  And the virus stuck around.

I think the virus will stick around for a long time regardless of mitigation efforts.  The mitigation efforts will make the numbers of victims be smaller, but not go away entirely.  Look at China.  They're starting to get more cases after "beating" the thing. 

Please add Iceland to the list as a country that got control of the virus.

Apparently, it was decided that the health organization doctors and scientists were in charge of mitigating protocols. Wisely,the politicians stepped aside and let them do the health professionals and scientists do their work.

• Like 1