CDC Double Standard

Daniel A

On 6/27/2020 at 9:14 AM, AF-1 said:

So are face shields more like a splatter shield.  The droplets hit the shield and disapate; thus the person behind the shield is protected?  I had surgery yesterday and everyone in the operating room had both face masks and shields on. 

Dissipate is not the word I would use. Some droplets will accumulate on the face shield. Think bugs on a windshield. The face shield is a solid barrier that protects the entire face including the eyes. I've used one in my laboratory work. I've actually thought, for only a brief moment, about wearing one to the grocery store. Apparently I'm not the only one with that thought. I read a local news article last week where face shields were up for consideration to be recommended to the general public either in lieu of the face mask or in addition to. (An advantage is that you can read someone's expression or lip read when the wearer isn't masked.) Not sure that would go over too well with a lot of folks. Now whatever gave me that idea?🤔

Hope you are recovering well from your surgery!

On 6/27/2020 at 4:24 PM, caribill said:

(SARS-CoV-2  is the proper name for Covid-19, it is not a "different virus" as you indicated.)

Just an FYI to clear up any confusion. SARS-CoV-2 is the virus. COVID-19 is the disease.

2 hours ago, portiemom said:

Dissipate is not the word I would use. Some droplets will accumulate on the face shield. Think bugs on a windshield. The face shield is a solid barrier that protects the entire face including the eyes. I've used one in my laboratory work. I've actually thought, for only a brief moment, about wearing one to the grocery store. Apparently I'm not the only one with that thought. I read a local news article last week where face shields were up for consideration to be recommended to the general public either in lieu of the face mask or in addition to. (An advantage is that you can read someone's expression or lip read when the wearer isn't masked.) Not sure that would go over too well with a lot of folks. Now whatever gave me that idea?🤔

Hope you are recovering well from your surgery!

I think face shields will be used in Education this fall (so students can see faculty expressions, etc...).

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 11:25 AM, ReidRGetALife said:

The airlines all require masks to be worn. And EVERYBODY knows with a mask on you're 100% protected!! No virus can get through THAT thing! Right. It's like putting up a chain link fence to keep out mosquitoes.

Cloth masks do little other than bring your air quality down from 21.0 to 17.5 (18.5 is OSHA's minimum safety requirement.)  Some of them are really cute, though.

One of my kidlets flew last week.  Almost everyone had a mask (guessing there were medical exemptions for the few that didn't) BUT she said that once the seatbelt sign went off, apparently most of the passengers felt that covered the masks, too.  Off they came.  btw, infection rates for airline personnel are and have been actually LOWER than the general population.

mosquitos.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2020 at 10:57 AM, Daniel A said:

American Airlines has announced they will be filling their planes to capacity starting July 1.  Where is the CDC on this?  Or is CDC only looking at cruise ships and leaving the airline industry alone?  How do PAX practice social distancing on a packed airplane?

The CDC is full of contradictions.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

Cloth masks do little other than bring your air quality down from 21.0 to 17.5 (18.5 is OSHA's minimum safety requirement.)  Some of them are really cute, though.

One of my kidlets flew last week.  Almost everyone had a mask (guessing there were medical exemptions for the few that didn't) BUT she said that once the seatbelt sign went off, apparently most of the passengers felt that covered the masks, too.  Off they came.  btw, infection rates for airline personnel are and have been actually LOWER than the general population.

mosquitos.jpg

Yes that is right... because of the COVID - 19 deniers the USA is the greatest country in the world at spreading COVID.  Many other countries have successfully dealt with COVID and their populations are back to near normal and they did what was suggested.....but with all the ridiculous philosophies shared here it is easy to see why we are the laughing stock of the world and banned from most countries...easy to see why cruising is not going to happen anytime soon....MAGA (Masks Are Great Again)...Happy COVID - 19th of July.....

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

It's like putting up a chain link fence to keep out mosquitoes.

It is a bit. It's like putting up a chain link fence to keep out mosquitoes, if those mosquitoes traveled around inside tennis balls.

The tennis balls being the droplets expelled by sneezing or coughing.

The virus is not self propelled. It doesn't suddenly jump up and decide to abseil down someone else's throat. It has to be put into the air inside droplets. Those droplets are much bigger than the actual virus.

Besides, the main purpose of wearing a mask is to keep your virus filled droplets out of the air, not to stop you breathing in virus. Although it will do that too. Apparently the concept of avoiding infecting others is a difficult one for some people to grasp.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Yes that is right... because of the COVID - 19 deniers the USA is the greatest country in the world at spreading COVID.  Many other countries have successfully dealt with COVID and their populations are back to near normal and they did what was suggested.....but with all the ridiculous philosophies shared here it is easy to see why we are the laughing stock of the world and banned from most countries...easy to see why cruising is not going to happen anytime soon....MAGA (Masks Are Great Again)...Happy COVID - 19th of July.....

🙄 wow who pee'd in your cheerios

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

It is a bit. It's like putting up a chain link fence to keep out mosquitoes, if those mosquitoes traveled around inside tennis balls.

The virus is not self propelled. It doesn't suddenly jump up and decide to abseil down someone else's throat. It has to be put into the air inside droplets. Those droplets are much bigger than the actual virus.

Besides, the main purpose of wearing a mask is to keep your virus filled droplets out of the air, not to stop you breathing in virus. Although it will do that too. Apparently the concept of avoiding infecting others is a difficult one for some people to grasp.

There you go, spoiling the narrative. It was a humorous photo though.

11 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Of the 3,000,000 American cases of Corona Virus, I wonder how many were caught from someone wearing a mask.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

Buzz Lightyear No Sign Of Intelligent Life GIF - BuzzLightyear NoSignOfIntelligentLife Dumb GIFs

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

When I saw the title of this thread I had to chuckle. CDC double standards indeed.  Mask or no mask?  They work, they don't work.  Think about Fauci stating in February and March that no one needed to wear a mask. Around April every one should wear a mask.  Then in towards the end of May this was posted on the CDC website (see the conclusion about the efficacy of mask wearing) :

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article?fbclid=IwAR2V1hPqN0WKb2kXVExP_1UE9ARvru6mtPZvZN0w1jx0S3l3fXLhxMP_bXs 

Now no matter how you may feel about that information, I myself, will not be confident of my safety even when everyone (myself included) is wearing a mask. Especially when I see how some folks wear them and what they use as a mask.

Just a thought about the higher rate of spread on a cruise ship vs a plane.  No one talks much about the possibility that the SARS-CoV-2 virus could be spread the same way that Noro is spread (think poor sanitation practices).  As I say, just a thought.

I think I will make my own mask...😉

Mask_Think this will work.JPG

Edited by ar1950
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Great analogy SinbadThePorter!

45 minutes ago, WAMarathoner said:

If you're the sort of person that coughs and sneezes on other people, you should definitely be wearing one.

If you are breathing and talking to someone within 6-7 feet you should definitely be wearing one.