P&O please enlighten us with your plans for social distancing

Balaena

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Some people already pay that for a suite on Azura!

Conversely I am paying £800 between the two of us MORE for 10 days in a suite on Arcadia than I am for 10 days in an inside on my Premium Luxury line next May...

I swore off insides when the virus reared it’s ugly head, but was swayed by the prospect of this cruise. I’m paying for the experience and the ambience on the premium lux line and for the space and the room on the Arcadia cruise. It will be interesting to compare the two experiences at their almost identical price points for such different offerings. 

11 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Conversely I am paying £800 between the two of us MORE for 10 days in a suite on Arcadia than I am for 10 days in an inside on my Premium Luxury line next May...

I swore off insides when the virus reared it’s ugly head, but was swayed by the prospect of this cruise. I’m paying for the experience and the ambience on the premium lux line and for the space and the room on the Arcadia cruise. It will be interesting to compare the two experiences at their almost identical price points for such different offerings. 

Interesting! I'd be interested to hear your experience.  However, I have to say, that however luxurious the ship may be, Lady W won't cruise in an inside cabin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Interesting! I'd be interested to hear your experience.  However, I have to say, that however luxurious the ship may be, Lady W won't cruise in an inside cabin. 

I’m hoping of course the magical upgrade fairy visits, lets hope she is covid secure 😉

For those speculating what P&O MIGHT  do re health measures: here is the example what Genting Cruise line  WILL do - in some detail - and they made this decision almost 2 months ago (9 April). Too costly for other cruise lines to follow??

Link below - two short extracts:

" Meanwhile, all crew members will have twice-daily temperature checks, use antibacterial hand soap and attend training workshops to learn about health and safety preventive measures. Front-line crew will be required to wear face masks, housekeeping and food and beverage staff will wear disposable gloves, and designated crew will have access to additional protective garments if required.

Cleaning efforts will also be significantly increased, with crew using hospital-grade disinfectants and heavy-duty cleaning products to sanitise guest accommodation, corridors, food and beverage venues, entertainment venues, children’s facilities, shops, spas, gyms and other public spaces more frequently each day. Common touch points, such as elevator buttons, handrails and tables will be sterilised on an hourly basis during peak times. Additional hand sanitiser dispensers will be introduced across the ships in various public areas."

https://www.cruiseandferry.net/articles/genting-cruise-lines-creates-post-covid-19-healthcare-measures

11 minutes ago, Cyrix400 said:

For those speculating what P&O MIGHT  do re health measures: here is the example what Genting Cruise line  WILL do - in some detail - and they made this decision almost 2 months ago (9 April). Too costly for other cruise lines to follow??

Link below - two short extracts:

" Meanwhile, all crew members will have twice-daily temperature checks, use antibacterial hand soap and attend training workshops to learn about health and safety preventive measures. Front-line crew will be required to wear face masks, housekeeping and food and beverage staff will wear disposable gloves, and designated crew will have access to additional protective garments if required.

Cleaning efforts will also be significantly increased, with crew using hospital-grade disinfectants and heavy-duty cleaning products to sanitise guest accommodation, corridors, food and beverage venues, entertainment venues, children’s facilities, shops, spas, gyms and other public spaces more frequently each day. Common touch points, such as elevator buttons, handrails and tables will be sterilised on an hourly basis during peak times. Additional hand sanitiser dispensers will be introduced across the ships in various public areas."

https://www.cruiseandferry.net/articles/genting-cruise-lines-creates-post-covid-19-healthcare-measures

I don't think it is a cost issue, it is just basic information being shared. 

I couldn't see any mention of how social distancing would be employed or what would happen if there was an outbreak. 

Saying staff will be trained and will wear masks and extra cleaning will be carried out is not enough. 

They can't win, say nothing and it is a cover up, say something and it is not enough. 

P&O have over 3 months in an ever changing environment to come up with the best plan they can. 

Andy 

• Like 2

World Travel + Tourism Organization & Carnival PLC to host virtual COVID-19 scientific summit July 23 with experts sharing the latest scientific knowledge and best practices.

Guess we may therefore not be too far from hearing something.

• Like 2

The EU have apparently issued guidelines for the resumption of cruising from EU ports and the CLIA have accepted their proposals. Google the subject and see just how bad it will become if the EU guidelines are adopted.

Segregation, buffets gone, Room Service as the prefered dining option, social distancing on tenders, tours and shuttle busses just for a start!

34 minutes ago, GangPlankAlf said:

The EU have apparently issued guidelines for the resumption of cruising from EU ports and the CLIA have accepted their proposals. Google the subject and see just how bad it will become if the EU guidelines are adopted.

Segregation, buffets gone, Room Service as the prefered dining option, social distancing on tenders, tours and shuttle busses just for a start!

I think you will find that this report has a thread on this very site and had been discussed for ages 😁

On 7/5/2020 at 1:55 PM, Converted to cruising said:

Nic6318.

Hey.... that’s a bit harsh!! If you read my comment earlier on in this thread I’m willing to give it a go as I’m confident that p and o and other cruise lines priorities will be to keep everyone safe. If they don’t think it’s safe we won’t sail. I’ve thought long and hard about my booking and made the decision that in 15/16 weeks they will have new safety regulations and rules which I am willing to abide by and if I don’t like them I won’t cruise again until things are more normal .....if they ever are. To call me and others un caring is insulting as we all make decisions for different reasons. You don’t know me or my reasons for going so please don’t make assumptions about me or anyone else. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and you choose not to go so please respect other peoples decisions to try it out. I’m sure you’ll be happy to read the feedback we put on here when we get back safely (as I’m sure we will ! ) so maybe reserve your very personal remarks and assumptions till then. 

Hi there

I was just pointing out that fact, and it is hard to ignore, that many people still seem to be more than willing to actually pay for an unknown product. If that were not the case, threads like this would not be popping up every day. Would you buy anything else with so many unknowns? This is not normal.

I am sorry if you feel so easily insulted. I can't do anything to fix that.

Good luck to you, if you do get to sail. If and when you write your review, I will indeed be reading. That's what I do. There are many of us that are very hopeful for you, after all if those early sailings don't go without incident, I may not get to go on another cruise for many years. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

If there’s anything in this it could make it even more of a problem for cruise lines:

Coronavirus: Airborne transmission cannot be ruled out, WHO says https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53329946

All food and other activities on deck?

Yet another reason why mask wearing will  be compulsory virtually everywhere on board.

41 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yet another reason why mask wearing will  be compulsory virtually everywhere on board.

Mask wearing wouldn't be an issue for either of us on a ship. It's the social distancing, although necessary,  that would be difficult to work round.

Avril 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The news for cruising next year, let alone this year does not look good. 

https://www.cruisetradenews.com/carnival-cruise-line-delays-2021-european-deployment-mardi-gras-launch/

😢

You don’t have to be an expert, just need to have been on one or two cruises, to realise what a task it would be to Covid-proof a cruise ship and all the associated port activities/excursions.

Add in what would be necessary for EVERY passenger presenting with fever whilst on board ... 😱 in terms of isolation, treatment, medical staff required, equipment

Way back in March we wrote off our 2020 cruises and put the 2021 ones in the “would be lovely but we don’t think so” bucket.  

Oh dear 😢

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

😢

You don’t have to be an expert, just need to have been on one or two cruises, to realise what a task it would be to Covid-proof a cruise ship and all the associated port activities/excursions.

Add in what would be necessary for EVERY passenger presenting with fever whilst on board ... 😱 in terms of isolation, treatment, medical staff required, equipment

Way back in March we wrote off our 2020 cruises and put the 2021 ones in the “would be lovely but we don’t think so” bucket.  

Oh dear 😢

Yup. To a certain extent I can understand why people might use their FCC on 2021 cruises,  but I would not be putting any sort of sizeable cash deposit down on any cruise next year.

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Mask wearing wouldn't be an issue for either of us on a ship. It's the social distancing, although necessary,  that would be difficult to work round.

Avril 

My DW has made me wear a mask since 1976😷

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

We wore masks for the first time on Monday's visit to the warfarin clinic. I found that my glasses steamed up badly no matter how I tried to adjust the nose band. Won't be happy having to wear one for any elongated period on a cruise ship.

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We wore masks for the first time on Monday's visit to the warfarin clinic. I found that my glasses steamed up badly no matter how I tried to adjust the nose band. Won't be happy having to wear one for any elongated period on a cruise ship.

I’d go along with that. Much more of a problem if you wear spectacles. They do steam up. Fine for a few minutes, but more than is not good.

There is an answer though - the right type of mask with a metal piece in enabling a close fit around the nose. The exhalation doesn’t then steam up the glasses. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’d go along with that. Much more of a problem if you wear spectacles. They do steam up. Fine for a few minutes, but more than is not good.

There is an answer though - the right type of mask with a metal piece in enabling a close fit around the nose. The exhalation doesn’t then steam up the glasses. 

Contact lenses also help.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:46 PM, Nic6318 said:

Hi there

I was just pointing out that fact, and it is hard to ignore, that many people still seem to be more than willing to actually pay for an unknown product. If that were not the case, threads like this would not be popping up every day. Would you buy anything else with so many unknowns? This is not normal.

I am sorry if you feel so easily insulted. I can't do anything to fix that.

Good luck to you, if you do get to sail. If and when you write your review, I will indeed be reading. That's what I do. There are many of us that are very hopeful for you, after all if those early sailings don't go without incident, I may not get to go on another cruise for many years. 

I don't really see it as paying for the unknown.

We're paying for a cruise. We will in fact be getting...a cruise.

Yes, we don't know how food will be served or if we need masks, but let's just assume the worst and plan for that and then any improvement is a bonus.

A socially distanced cruise with face masks is a damn site better than sitting at my work desk I tell you...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

I don't really see it as paying for the unknown.

We're paying for a cruise. We will in fact be getting...a cruise.

Yes, we don't know how food will be served or if we need masks, but let's just assume the worst and plan for that and then any improvement is a bonus.

A socially distanced cruise with face masks is a damn site better than sitting at my work desk I tell you...

The issue I would have is that whilst I would be getting a cruise, I couid also be getting 14 days sitting isolated in my cabin as well, should a case of CV19 be discovered.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The issue I would have is that whilst I would be getting a cruise, I couid also be getting 14 days sitting isolated in my cabin as well, should a case of CV19 be discovered.

You could have that any cruise with a case of Norovirus. 

On 7/3/2020 at 11:41 AM, Balaena said:

Like many on this site, as a very regular P&O cruiser with 2 cruises planned for November and December and a long one round Cape Horn Jan/Feb I would be very interested to know from Carnival House what the plans are for social distancing on their ships which are due to commence cruising again from October.

We have all read various speculations about how it will be, but nothing from P&O how they plan the entry back into cruising.
One might say that it’s still 4 months away before kick off, but like many, I am almost reluctant to pay my cruise balance without knowing and understanding how the on-board offer will effect my wife and myself. If I take the chance and pay without this information, where would I stand if the on-board offer is far far removed from what we have become accustomed. If we are informed of ‘how things will be’ after paying the cruise balance and, the on-board offer is such that I would rather not go, will they say, no problem we will refund you or set the sum you have paid against a future cruise. I somehow doubt it, therefore I ask Carnival House to enlighten us with their plans before balances are paid.
Clearly there will be and, I expect substantial changes, so information is the key to securing your enthusiastic guests to go cruising again. 

Well there is the problem. I personally dont think they will start in October. However they probably dont want to go into lots of details until they know the situation in our country and lots of other countries (so they can actually sail) The general rule of thumb seems to be pay your balance. Claim a full refund. I would imagine once they start cruising if the situation is similar they would offer refunds if it will be a totally different experience. I dont want to go if I have to wear a face mask all the time. I know one of the american lines listed a whole pile of things. I think that is more because US is not taking this totally seriously (from the Pres down) and will want to get people back on board ships, maybe before they should , for financial reasons. I think if we get round to next year and we are still similar a lot of people will want to cancel...if the lines have not already gone under by then.