Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

35 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I understand the vaccine frustration of our Canadian friends here.  I truly wish you get the doses you need soon and start mass vaccinations in your provinces.  But with that said the USA is at the top of the world list for COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths.  Brazil is a distant second. 

Yes in the US  there is a lot of blame to go around for these sobering statistics.  Some of our states are not following simple measures to control the virus.  Some of our people are selfish.  We have botched it from day 1.  Except we emphasized vaccines as the only true long term solution.

Canada has a total population of 38 million.  To put it in perspective the USA has 331 million with the virus still raging and deaths over 534,000.  Our number of reported infections to date is 30 million which is almost equal to the entire population of Canada.  And the CDC estimates more like 80-100 million infections.  Variants are spreading too.  The total Covid deaths in Canada are 22,000 which is less than the number of deaths just in my state (PA) alone.  I think some of the world sees the US as being selfish with the vaccine.  But given our numbers and the risk we pose to the entire world the vaccine is more necessary here right now than any other country on the planet.  

An excellent post, well worth rereading by those asking why Canada isn't prepared to throw open the border anytime soon. When US cases, hospitalizations and deaths take a significant drop and Canadian vaccinations take a significant jump, then we can reconsider.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks Ken.  Good advice.  

Also President Biden said in his speech that the US was working on launching a national vaccine availability website.  Not sure about the timeline.

My uninformed guess is that www.vaccinefinder.org is the website President Biden was eluding to. It's already a well known and proven nationwide vaccine search tool, has been recently retooled to only search for COVID vaccines, has the CDC emblem displayed on the main page, and from what I can tell works really quite well to identify participating COVID vaccine pharmacies anywhere in the US based on a zip code.

For example, I just checked vaccine availability using my BIL's FL zip code and found reservations available at some Winn Dixies within 10-25 miles. Prior to this he only thought Publix, of which all are marked as "out of stock", was the only pharmacy in his area that offered the vaccine (besides the FHD distribution sites of which none were ever located near him). 

But, like I said, it's just an uninformed guess ... 🙃

Virginia started allowing those in group 1c (over 65 + those under 65 with medical conditions)  to register back in early January.   I registered on January 9 and got the notice on March 4 that I could schedule a shot.  I know someone who registered about 2 weeks after me who got the notice at the same time.  We both got our first shots of Pfizer yesterday.  I actually could have gotten the J&J one last weekend, but I had a choice as to which one I wanted, which was a nice "problem" to have.  The event in my city was incredibly well run; extremely organized with tons of volunteers to direct people through the process.  I got an email last night with info on how to schedule my second shot, and I was able to get an appointment for three weeks later.  It wasn't until I got home that I noticed that March 13 was exactly one year from the date my employer went into shutdown mode.   I know that I still have another month to wait for full protection, but it's great to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel that we've been discussing since July.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

An excellent post, well worth rereading by those asking why Canada isn't prepared to throw open the border anytime soon. When US cases, hospitalizations and deaths take a significant drop and Canadian vaccinations take a significant jump, then we can reconsider.

Agree.  In the US cases have dropped.  In my county cases and hospitalization numbers are down by some 80%.  About 25% vaccinated and continuing to ramp up.

The vaccination program in BC where other than indigenous peoples, remote communities, care facilities and those over 95 Yup 95!  is horribly slow.  Mulrooney decisions of the past and purchasing decisions of last year have made for friends in BC who are 75+ being told May.  Unfortunate.  On Vancouver Island they have vaccine That will expire in a couple weeks.  Just setting up clinics.

That said, seems strange that those of us who are vaccinated should be able to visit our properties - and yes I know people can fake a vaccination record - in Canada.  Hoping by June this might moisten up.

The good news is the US will have a surplus of vaccine and if Canada and Mexico can mobilize people to vaccinate things could change quickly in both countries.

• Like 1

I have hesitated to post this, but I will share how DH got his first shot “out of order”, as it may help someone else and save vaccine from being wasted. 
Some friends of ours (in their mid-40s, marathon runners) were in a local Walmart and the husband went to the vaccine registration window in the pharmacy to ask if he was eligible for a shot based on his job (there had been some confusion and discussion about this, he works at a bank). He was told, no, not eligible yet, but if you want a shot, we are about 20 doses over today, it’s 4:30 in the afternoon, no ones on our waitlist, and by the way do you know anyone else who can come right now?! They called us, and 6-8 other people who they knew were anxious to get vaccinated. I was appalled that Walmart was that far off, but I have a feeling some people get on multiple lists and don’t cancel after they get an appt.

Try your most convenient local pharmacy fir a waitlist, and plan on buying groceries in the late afternoon every day!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I have hesitated to post this, but I will share how DH got his first shot “out of order”, as it may help someone else and save vaccine from being wasted. 
Some friends of ours (in their mid-40s, marathon runners) were in a local Walmart and the husband went to the vaccine registration window in the pharmacy to ask if he was eligible for a shot based on his job (there had been some confusion and discussion about this, he works at a bank). He was told, no, not eligible yet, but if you want a shot, we are about 20 doses over today, it’s 4:30 in the afternoon, no ones on our waitlist, and by the way do you know anyone else who can come right now?! They called us, and 6-8 other people who they knew were anxious to get vaccinated. I was appalled that Walmart was that far off, but I have a feeling some people get on multiple lists and don’t cancel after they get an appt.

Try your most convenient local pharmacy fir a waitlist, and plan on buying groceries in the late afternoon every day!

Sometimes it just pays to be in the right place at the right time and ask the right questions! Hopefully, he was able to get an appointment for the 2nd shot unless it was the J&J one.

16 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Sometimes it just pays to be in the right place at the right time and ask the right questions! Hopefully, he was able to get an appointment for the 2nd shot unless it was the J&J one.

Because of the 'window' in the FDA approval, most places I have heard about make sure that you get an appointment for your second shot at the appropriate time.  [Except in countries that have decided on their own to stretch the window to expand the number of first shots.]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

14 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Absolutely.  Better than the doses going to waste.

My 20-something niece was recently vaccinated 'out of order' if you will.  Her job found her as a coordinator for vaccinations at the utility company for which she works.  At the end of the day there was a dose left over and no arms except hers to jab.  As much as I despise prioritizing based on anything except age and medical conditions, it's far better than a dose going to waste.   (I think that would have been a $1 million fine in New York though) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D C said:

Absolutely.  Better than the doses going to waste.

My 20-something niece was recently vaccinated 'out of order' if you will.  Her job found her as a coordinator for vaccinations at the utility company for which she works.  At the end of the day there was a dose left over and no arms except hers to jab.  As much as I despise prioritizing based on anything except age and medical conditions, it's far better than a dose going to waste.   (I think that would have been a $1 million fine in New York though

NYS had created a Catch-22 situation where they severely limited eligibility and then fined [or threatened to fine] providers with left-over shots.  But more recently we are hearing stories exactly like what @cangelmd posted:  if there are cancellations and you are eligible, just being there gets you a shot.  [I realize that cangelmd's niece wasn't actually eligible, but I have also heard that under these circumstances they are v-e-r-y flexible in applying the eligibility screen.]

11 hours ago, cangelmd said:

This is a good news for your DH.  And there is nothing wrong with luck and being able to take advantage of the circumstance.  I am curious as to why Walmart would not offer excess vaccine at day's end to their own employees?  Or just make an announcement to shoppers in the store?  No vaccine should ever go to waste.  I believe that people are on multiple lists and just sign up everywhere they can.  (That is what I did). And who will actually remember what lists they are on?  But missing actual confirmed appointments is another story altogether.

Here is a statement released from Astra Zeneca on their vaccine and the blood clots and PE's.  In over 17 million people vaccinated the incidence is no greater than in the general unvaccinated population.  But this has not quelled the hysteria by the media and reaction by politicians and governments.  IMO a totally unnecessary black eye feeding the anti-vaccine crowd.  And keeping a life saving vaccine on the shelf.  

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/update-on-the-safety-of-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca.html

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks, yes, his second appointment was made before he left. He got Moderna.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

This is a good news for your DH.  And there is nothing wrong with luck and being able to take advantage of the circumstance.  I am curious as to why Walmart would not offer excess vaccine at day's end to their own employees?  Or just make an announcement to shoppers in the store?  No vaccine should ever go to waste.  I believe that people are on multiple lists and just sign up everywhere they can.  (That is what I did). And who will actually remember what lists they are on?  But missing actual confirmed appointments is another story altogether.

Ah, good questions, as to the employees, while DH was waiting out his post-vaccine lbs time, a couple of employees wandered up and asked if shots were going to be available and the answer was looking good (remember there were 20 extras to start). So yes, they were getting employees vaccinated. Second question, we discussed this. This was 5 pm on a busy Saturday afternoon. My guess is that making an overhead announcement would simply lead to chaos and free for all, so I think Walmart had learned not to do that and have a more formal waiting list even if on this particular day there were more shots than folks on the list.

Thats really why I wanted to share our experience,  I don’t think pharmacies are going to overly publicize a waiting list or, frankly, take the time to call too many people on the list. At this Walmart, you went the prescription drop off window to say I’m here for my vaccine appointment, so there’s already a bit of line that included people who had more pressing medical business than the shot.

13 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Walmart created an issue in that they have no online cancellation option unlike CVS. People are securing multiple appointments and then just not showing up. A local Facebook group was saying yesterday a particular Walmart had about 50% no shows over the weekend. Quite an oversight in their system....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cangelmd said:

Ah, good questions, as to the employees, while DH was waiting out his post-vaccine lbs time, a couple of employees wandered up and asked if shots were going to be available and the answer was looking good (remember there were 20 extras to start). So yes, they were getting employees vaccinated. Second question, we discussed this. This was 5 pm on a busy Saturday afternoon. My guess is that making an overhead announcement would simply lead to chaos and free for all, so I think Walmart had learned not to do that and have a more formal waiting list even if on this particular day there were more shots than folks on the list.

Thats really why I wanted to share our experience,  I don’t think pharmacies are going to overly publicize a waiting list or, frankly, take the time to call too many people on the list. At this Walmart, you went the prescription drop off window to say I’m here for my vaccine appointment, so there’s already a bit of line that included people who had more pressing medical business than the shot.

Good friends in another state have a 92 year old mother who could not get a vaccine appointment anywhere.  Out of frustration they got in their car on Saturday and drove to various pharmacies in person but had no luck.  Then they went to the local Walmart.  The pharmacy manager said that they did not have the vaccine.  But she refused to stop there and started calling other Walmart pharmacies for them.  And she called the local Sam's Club too.  And they got lucky.  The Sam's Club manager said to bring her over right away.  And she got the vaccine that day primarily due to a very caring Walmart pharmacy manager.  It takes a village.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Walmart created an issue in that they have no online cancellation option unlike CVS. People are securing multiple appointments and then just not showing up. A local Facebook group was saying yesterday a particular Walmart had about 50% no shows over the weekend. Quite an oversight in their system....

Wow, that is an oversight indeed. It explains why there were so many a week,ago.

That needs to be fixed before they are given larger allocations of vaccine, or just make first shots first come first served.

I would think it likely that they set up most locations the same way - registration in the pharmacy, shots in the back of the store - long lines would be very disruptive to their operation.

27 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Huge oversight.  What were they thinking?

Everyone I know is signed up on as many lists as possible.  Health department, doctor, local pharmacies, multiple hospital networks...    Not signed up for shots, but to get on lists.    You'd think that someone with multiple appts would at least let someone else in need know that there was an opening they couldn't keep.  

3 minutes ago, D C said:

Everyone I know is signed up on as many lists as possible.  Health department, doctor, local pharmacies, multiple hospital networks...    Not signed up for shots, but to get on lists.    You'd think that someone with multiple appts would at least let someone else in need know that there was an opening they couldn't keep.  

I really hope they are addressing it. I'm an early riser so I have helped several people secure appointments. Even the small pharmacy chains have a cancel online or text to cancel option. Walmart says call the pharmacy...like they don't have enough on their plate. I doubt you can even get through.

In this instance it's also causing a big division in opportunity. Rural areas were prioritized over urban areas. Walmart is the one consistent place to get an appointment. Rural communities haven't shown much interest in vaccines, yet others are driving 2-3 hours. The out of town people cancel as they find spots closer to home. Now the rural Walmart stores have a stockpile and seniors in the urban areas still can't get a shot. It also appears that if you do successfully cancel, the appointment does not go back into the pool.

I would suggest anyone who has had difficulty check with their Walmart stores later in the afternoon. There's a decent chance you will get in.

1 hour ago, D C said:

At the time the website was created, the news was that appointments were impossible to get.  I suspect the programmers were under the gun to get it released so Walmart could start taking appointments.  And it may be hard to fix now, because of all the appointments in the database.  [all speculation]

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I guess it's OK with CDC for US flagged ships to sail from US ports now.

American Cruise Lines Departs on First Voyage Since Pandemic - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

I think it is because of the pax load.

Since the beginning, the restrictions applied to larger ships.  Alaska will have smaller ships sailing soon.

Cruise ship means any commercial, non-cargo, passenger-carrying vessel operating in U.S. waters with the capacity to carry 250 or more individuals (passengers and crew)

3 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Since the beginning, the restrictions applied to larger ships.  Alaska will have smaller ships sailing soon.

Cruise ship means any commercial, non-cargo, passenger-carrying vessel operating in U.S. waters with the capacity to carry 250 or more individuals (passengers and crew)

Thanks! I knew there had to be a loophole. I also noticed they're not requiring folks to be vaccinated before going on one of their little ships. No thanks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Exactly. 

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Here is a statement released from Astra Zeneca on their vaccine and the blood clots and PE's.  In over 17 million people vaccinated the incidence is no greater than in the general unvaccinated population.  But this has not quelled the hysteria by the media and reaction by politicians and governments.  IMO a totally unnecessary black eye feeding the anti-vaccine crowd.  And keeping a life saving vaccine on the shelf.  

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/update-on-the-safety-of-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca.html

I too believe that it an overreaction and that there is no causal relationship between that particular vaccine and thrombosis. I have read that in the UK it has been estimated that as many as 1 in a thousand people may be liable to suffer from blood clotting. The Astra Zeneca vaccine is well used here now and there is no evidence of any deviation in clotting cases. My son has even stronger views on the suspension of its use but he would do as he has worked on the development of the vaccine and is rather fed up with his teams' work being used as a political football by those seeking to explain a slow roll out of vaccination in mainland Europe.

• Like 3