Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

4 hours ago, jagoffee said:

This has certainly not been the case. You can get appointments at Walgreen’s and Meijer’s  across 

different counties.  Same for Advocate Aurora Hospital group. Other locations as well.   I know people who have appointments in different counties just this last weekend.  I did read recently that the site set up at the United center has been changed to  allow only Cook County residents.  
Good luck getting your vaccine.

Not near the Chicago area.  DuPage, Lake, Grundy... if you're not residents of those counties, forget it.  They realize people living in Cook are being "held back" from the rest of the state.  I'm not going to travel 4-5 hours one way to get vaccinated.

Here are the pharmacies (by state) participating in the Federal Vaccine Program.  For my state I was able to get my vaccine through this program this past week when all else failed.  This program is being further funded and expanded according to the CDC and Pres. Biden's speech last night.  I have found my local state and county programs to be completely overwhelmed.  The wait lists are not moving.  But I was lucky enough to try pharmacies listed on this federal program perhaps just right place right time. It is possible (I think) that you could cross into another state to get vaccinated via the federal program.  Our state program is now focusing on teachers and support staff even though our list 1A has not been anywhere near finished.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/retail-pharmacy-program/participating-pharmacies.html

6 hours ago, yorky said:

I see reports already stating this is no higher than would be expected in the general population without a vaccine.

The concern was elevated due to multiple incidents with the same batch. Same as normal overall, higher than expected in that batch.

I've just read a news report which says, "President Biden said the number of places where people could be immunised would be increased, with veterinarians and dentists among those also allowed to vaccinate people".

Which made me wonder, so I'll ask - who is currently allowed to give the vaccine in the US?

Here in the UK we've got a wide range of people doing it including volunteers from all walks of life who applied and were trained to vaccinate.

1 hour ago, Tigrou said:

I've just read a news report which says, "President Biden said the number of places where people could be immunised would be increased, with veterinarians and dentists among those also allowed to vaccinate people".

Which made me wonder, so I'll ask - who is currently allowed to give the vaccine in the US?

Here in the UK we've got a wide range of people doing it including volunteers from all walks of life who applied and were trained to vaccinate.

I would take that comment with a grain of salt.  Dentists and vets are trained to use needles, but our problem is that demand is greater than supply.  We don't have a shortage of personnel to administer the vaccines.  We simply do not have enough vaccine available.  We have our flu vaccine apparatus that we have only began to use.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

I have seen patients with surprising presentations of DVTs post Covid infections in primary care. PEs are a major cause of associated death to Covid 19.

I think that the EU nations just have a bee in their bonnet about the Astra Zeneca vaccine!

A church acquaintance of mine, a nurse in his late 50s, unfortunately got Covid very early on, late March 2020. He and his wife were both hospitalized, he got better after a short stay and went home, she had to stay longer on O2. While he was at home by himself, he sadly had a stroke. Both survived, she’s fine, but ha has significant deficits from the CVA.

2 hours ago, Tigrou said:

We have in effect tested and tweaked procedures and sites to do mass vaccinations, but learned that setting up a mass vaccination site is kind of a waste if there isn’t enough vaccine to keep the site up and rolling for several,hours and/or days at a time. 
Didn’t get to hear Biden’s speech, but from the quotes and summary I’ve read, the plan is to try to get mass vaccination sites up and going continuously in May, and that is where the volunteers come in.

To answer your question, the US is extremely litigious and while it varies from state to state, you are unlikely to see any OJT volunteers like in the UK. Here, docs, nurses, dentists and pharmacists would be licensed to give shots. Med students and nursing students under supervision. Med assistants in doctor offices in some states and vets, but not to people.

Someone who heard the speech, was malpractice protection addressed at all? I’m sure there are plenty of retired MDs and nurses that are ready to step up, I’ve talked to some, but they have to be protected insurance wise.

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Here are the pharmacies (by state) participating in the Federal Vaccine Program.  For my state I was able to get my vaccine through this program this past week when all else failed.  This program is being further funded and expanded according to the CDC and Pres. Biden's speech last night.  I have found my local state and county programs to be completely overwhelmed.  The wait lists are not moving.  But I was lucky enough to try pharmacies listed on this federal program perhaps just right place right time. It is possible (I think) that you could cross into another state to get vaccinated via the federal program.  Our state program is now focusing on teachers and support staff even though our list 1A has not been anywhere near finished.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/retail-pharmacy-program/participating-pharmacies.html

Our state had the same problem with their programs being overwhelmed too and many people were understandably frustrated . Fortunately pharmacies here began giving vaccinations in February. We got our first shot the day after our age group opened up through Walgreens, and felt like we'd won the lottery. I'm happy to say we got our second shot this morning.

We've been advising others to go directly to the pharmacy's websites.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

In Fla CVS was giving priority to teachers.

Perhaps now  open to more.  Many Fla seniors and others were waiting to get vaccinated at local pharmacies like they do for flu shots.  They prefer that to long caravan style outdoor events.,

Good news is.....most of our neighbors and friends down there have been able to get vaccinated at one place or another.  In suburban NY..not even close!

Here's Crystal's COVID vaccination and pre-cruise testing policy for their new Bahamas start-up cruise schedule beginning in July through September. I also talked with a Crystal PVC and he said they will also provide a follow-up COVID test while onboard, so you will have current test results when you debark from the ship which will be required if you then fly back to the US (which is currently a requirement I believe). Hopefully, Celebrity as well as other cruise lines, at least until the pandemic has been downgraded, will enact similar policies.

Crystal announced on February 18 that guests must be fully inoculated with a COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to boarding any Crystal ship. This new requirement is in addition to existing, comprehensive Crystal Clean+ 4.0 measures, including negative COVID-19 tests for both guests and crew, reduced capacity, social distancing, nimble mask policy and health screening questionnaires. 

2 hours ago, Tigrou said:

I think nurses, PAs and pharmacists as well as doctors.

Just now, C-Dragons said:

Yes, the cruise lines will. If they don’t and there’s an outbreak the CDC will shut them down.

The cruise lines want the CDC to make the rule. They then avoid the blowback but get a worry free sailing - win, win for them

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Yup.  I have added 2 more to the ignore list.

A question - any thoughts on the BC border for July?  Have a friend with a home in Pt Roberts US but access is only thru Canada.

I don't have an exact quote, but the PM's office indicated this week that there'll be no relaxation of border restrictions until we get a lot more people vaccinated here. I think that July is too early a target date, but I suppose it's not completely outside the realm of possibility should there be a significant increase in the speed of the vaccination process. Here in Ottawa, we have only just opened up to 90+ residents, and 80+ in some parts of the city deemed higher risk. That's not atypical, and illustrates that we still have a long way to go. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hcat said:

In Fla CVS was giving priority to teachers.

Perhaps now  open to more.  Many Fla seniors and others were waiting to get vaccinated at local pharmacies like they do for flu shots.  They prefer that to long caravan style outdoor events.,

Good news is.....most of our neighbors and friends down there have been able to get vaccinated at one place or another.  In suburban NY..not even close!

CVS was first giving shots to 65+, medical people and younger people with serious illnesses.  Days later the state added teachers 50+ and recently all teachers.  We were lucky enough to get an appointment the first day albeit a 250 mile round trip. In a week we will go back for dose two.  Still know many down here around our age without appointments but things are improving.  It took us 2+ months getting up when it was still dark 4 days a week.  CVS was a blessing.

Edited by Oville

14 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Not near the Chicago area.  DuPage, Lake, Grundy... if you're not residents of those counties, forget it.  They realize people living in Cook are being "held back" from the rest of the state.  I'm not going to travel 4-5 hours one way to get vaccinated.

Pick a Meijer’s in Lake county and register, you might be surprised. (Assuming you are over 65 years old. ). Or sign up at the Hospital group that you use.  Many vaccination locations across the state do not have residency requirements,  Walgreen’s is another that you can monitor.   Since I live in Lake county and I have been fully vaccinated, I do not share your exact experience.  I registered everywhere that Accepted reservation and monitored vaccination sites a across the state.  I have been offered appointment/found appointments at multiple locations.  

Sorry, I just feel that your belief that Cook county residents are being discriminated against all location sites across the state (within a few hours of cook county) based on when they live is hard to believe.  The exception is the vaccination site at the United center.   May be true at some County run sites, but not the pharmacy/hospital run sites.  I just think you are mistaken.

I have two friends from Lake county who had their vaccine shots in Cook county and another who receive their shot in Wisconsin at the Advocate Aurora location.  

i

14 minutes ago, Oville said:

CVS was first giving shots to 65+, medical people and younger people with serious illnesses.  Days later the state added teachers 50+ and recently all teachers.  We were lucky enough to get an appointment the first day albeit a 250 mile round trip. In a week we will go back for dose two.  Still know many down here around our age without appointments.

It's strange how CVS is only administering the vaccine in select states.    Not at all in Michigan, but Wallgreens and RiteAid are.  And you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a CVS.  Seems like they're on almost every corner. 

1 minute ago, D C said:

It's strange how CVS is only administering the vaccine in select states.    Not at all in Michigan, but Wallgreens and RiteAid are.  And you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a CVS.  Seems like they're on almost every corner. 

Same here about every corner but we live in a county that only one or two CVS’ have vaccines.  We are on the southern west coast of FL, when CVS opened most were on the southern east coast.  Weird but off we went.

14 minutes ago, D C said:

There is a little known law that every intersection with a CVS on one corner must have a Walgreens diagonally opposite [and vice versa].  I think it was inspired by Seinfeld.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, D C said:

It's amazing how many places in Michigan that are listed as providers, 2764 throughout the state.  In my county Oakland County there are supposed to be 342 providers.  I have no idea how to find all of these providers.  In addition to hospitals, pharmacies and the health department there are urgent care centers, internal medicine offices, pediatrics, OB/GYN, home health care providers, etc.  I have no idea how to get vaccinated at most of these places.

48 minutes ago, D C said:

Here the state government controls doses, the county government controls doses, and the federal government directly. Here CVS and Walgreens get their doses direct from the federal government. Both vaccinated long term care facilities and only when they finished those did they give vaccines in their stores. Giant Pharmacy and Safeway get  from the state government and the county doses are split between the county health department and hospital systems.  The state also runs mass vaccination sites. That makes it quite complicated as there is no centralization.  All have their own sign up. CVS is everywhere, like every mile there is one. They are also inside Target. There are about 3 CVS for every Walgreens/Rite Aid. (Walgreens here are stores rebranded from Rite Aid).