Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

I wonder if Jon Rahm having to withdraw from the Memorial tournament due to contracting Covid will cause more vax hesitators to realize the real possibility of getting infected. Leading by 6 strokes going into the final round, he loses any chance at the $1.7 million prize and #1 ranking. Only 50% of players on the PGA Tour are vaxxed.

Yes, he is asymptomatic but anyone he infects might not be.

If only there were a free, low-risk way to prevent infections....

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I wonder if Jon Rahm having to withdraw from the Memorial tournament due to contracting Covid will cause more vax hesitators to realize the real possibility of getting infected. Leading by 6 strokes going into the final round, he loses any chance at the $1.7 million prize and #1 ranking. Only 50% of players on the PGA Tour are vaxxed.

Per Jason Sobel of The Action Network, Rahm had been vaccinated, but only after coming into close contact with the infected person this week, meaning his immunity had not yet been adequately built up

https://sports.yahoo.com/jon-rahm-tests-positive-covid-19-withdraw-lead-memorial-tournament-224522746.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

I know, right?  Head scratcher!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Well we just booked Millennium RT Seattle to Alaska in September.  Hopefully not too cold but who cares really! Our first cruise since Jan 2020.  Fingers crossed.  Feels good though!😀

Enjoy!  And it'll be chilly, but not bad at all.  Mid-40's as a low.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Am I missing something. It is called vaccines! Surely you do need to pay for them in USA

Alternatively become a hermit.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mayleeman said:

On one hand, golf is played outdoors, so the risk is minimal to others.

On the other hand.  What an idiot.  Maybe he can win one of the state vax-lotteries to make up for his lost prize (and endorsement) money. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Am I missing something. It is called vaccines! Surely you do need to pay for them in USA

Alternatively become a hermit.

He omitted the [sarcasm] note 🙂

And yes, we do pay for them (indirectly through taxation), but they're given at no-cost. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D C said:

On one hand, golf is played outdoors, so the risk is minimal to others.

On the other hand.  What an idiot.  Maybe he can win one of the state vax-lotteries to make up for his lost prize (and endorsement) money. 

Well he is from Spain.  Maybe he was unable to get vaccinated there?

59 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I assume you believe that this is a possibility or you would not have said it.

He would surely have been able to get a vaccine in the US as he is here for months at a time.  All PGA members can be vaccinated.  The same as all other professional athletes.

Jon made a decision to not get vaccinated and he is now suffering the consequences.  The irony is that it is the PGA protocol that “punished him”.  The PGA make a very public example of him.  In my opinion it was handled very poorly and it should not have been done is such a public way.  Although he is probably not a US citizen, it should have the same privacy rights as a US citizen.  

Should  he have been vaccinated when it was made available to him?  Most of us believe he made a bad choice.

It is also ironic that as far as I know no professional athletes are being required to be vaccinated and/or show proof of being vaccinated.  The PGA, NBA, MLB, NHL, etc could set a good example if they wished.  Although I suspect it might not not be legal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

He actually lives in Arizona. The PGA Tour apparently offers vaccinations at every tournament on Friday evenings for those who miss the cut, and on Sunday evenings for everyone else. If he'd been fully vaccinated, he wouldn't have been subject to the test protocol. A decision, along with the potential health risk, that probably cost him over $1.5M in prize money.

16 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

It is also ironic that as far as I know no professional athletes are being required to be vaccinated and/or show proof of being vaccinated.  The PGA, NBA, MLB, NHL, etc could set a good example if they wished.  Although I suspect it might not not be legal. 

It's probably legal, but anything in the NBA, MLB, and NHL (don't know about PGA) involving players would be part of their collective bargaining agreements. And the various player's associations are probably not going to publicly recommend vaccination outside of the CBA requirements (although individual players have). And they'd want something in return for a one time modification to the CBA...

And the should have ushered him away from the cameras to notify him. That's totally unacceptable!

Edited by markeb

25 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I assume you believe that this is a possibility or you would not have said it.

He would surely have been able to get a vaccine in the US as he is here for months at a time.  All PGA members can be vaccinated.  The same as all other professional athletes.

Jon made a decision to not get vaccinated and he is now suffering the consequences.  The irony is that it is the PGA protocol that “punished him”.  The PGA make a very public example of him.  In my opinion it was handled very poorly and it should not have been done is such a public way.  Although he is probably not a US citizen, it should have the same privacy rights as a US citizen.  

Should  he have been vaccinated when it was made available to him?  Most of us believe he made a bad choice.

Thanks for your comments and agree.  I try not to judge people's choices and I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.  Agree about professional athletes and sports leagues.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Probably the most important line...

"But, according to the FTC, those simple cards, easily replicated by fraudsters, never were designed to prove vaccination status long-term."

The FTC page linked is essentially a polite fraud alert without being a fraud alert. The administration tasked government agencies with exploring incorporating SARS-CoV-2 vaccinations into the international vaccine record (yellow book) and potentially producing an electronic record for travelers, but that somehow got wrapped into a very bad vernacular of "vaccine passport", and here we are.

I really, really, really, think it's important that everyone understand where their actual vaccination record resides and how to get it into their primary care records. Those cute little cards will crinkle, tear, or the ink will get wet and run. Somehow, you're going to have to reproduce that information for some period of time...

46 minutes ago, markeb said:

"But, according to the FTC, those simple cards, easily replicated by fraudsters, never were designed to prove vaccination status long-term."

The FTC page linked is essentially a polite fraud alert without being a fraud alert. The administration tasked government agencies with exploring incorporating SARS-CoV-2 vaccinations into the international vaccine record (yellow book) and potentially producing an electronic record for travelers, but that somehow got wrapped into a very bad vernacular of "vaccine passport", and here we are.

I really, really, really, think it's important that everyone understand where their actual vaccination record resides and how to get it into their primary care records. Those cute little cards will crinkle, tear, or the ink will get wet and run. Somehow, you're going to have to reproduce that information for some period of time...

We have no vaccine records database in our state (PA) as far as I can tell.  I sent a copy of my CDC card to my primary care physician.  It is now in my record there. Best I could do.  Not sure if that counts as official when I travel. It would be nice (but not at all likely) if the State Dept/ Customs would keep a record with our passports.

44 minutes ago, markeb said:

Hopefully we won't have to produce the info for too long. 🙂

"Primary care records" is an interesting concept.  Do people actually maintain such a thing?  I've had numerous primary care physicians over the years and have never done a thing to transfer any information from one to the next.  Michigan doesn't require that the state be notified of vaccinations for adults either, so there may not be a complete record anywhere (though covid jabs are apparently all logged by the state).  I'm going to check with the county health dept to see if that card is perhaps all I have. 

2 minutes ago, D C said:

"Primary care records" is an interesting concept.  Do people actually maintain such a thing?  I've had numerous primary care physicians over the years and have never done a thing to transfer any information from one to the next.  Michigan doesn't require that the state be notified of vaccinations for adults either, so there may not be a complete record anywhere (though covid jabs are apparently all logged by the state).  I'm going to check with the county health dept to see if that card is perhaps all I have. 

I have vaccination records for my kids.  Needed them for public school and college.  I have no records for myself except the very recent (Covid, Shingrix, Tetanus booster, annual influenza).  Maybe most adults my age are in the same situation.  I have no childhood vaccine records.  Neither does my dw.

3 minutes ago, D C said:

I guess that's an interesting question. I'm in TRICARE, and all of our records are centralized. If you're in a managed care system, the same is probably true. If you're MEDICARE and don't have a PCM or family physician, I don't know. But if you're seeing someone for primary care, I'd hope they'd want your vaccine history in their records.

I've done public health most of my life, mostly in the military system, and have been a little surprised at the variation in recording and maintaining vaccine histories that I've seen in this thread!

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I have vaccination records for my kids.  Needed them for public school and college.  I have no records for myself except the very recent (Covid, Shingrix, Tetanus booster, annual influenza).  Maybe most adults my age are in the same situation.  I have no childhood vaccine records.  Neither does my dw.

I don't either. Probably would if I'd been an Army brat...

Actually, 20+ years ago, when there was so much measles going around college campuses, it ended up being easier to get an MMR than to try to track down the childhood vaccines records (I was in Germany at the time, and this was essentially pre-internet, at least for US personnel in Germany) to meet admissions requirements for a graduate program.

1 minute ago, markeb said:

I guess that's an interesting question. I'm in TRICARE, and all of our records are centralized. If you're in a managed care system, the same is probably true. If you're MEDICARE and don't have a PCM or family physician, I don't know. But if you're seeing someone for primary care, I'd hope they'd want your vaccine history in their records.

I've done public health most of my life, mostly in the military system, and have been a little surprised at the variation in recording and maintaining vaccine histories that I've seen in this thread!

I get annual flu shots at work and periodic tetanus shots when I happen to drop into urgent care now and then. Not sure I have records of either 🙂

I can see better records being kept in a system like TRICARE so long as you receive services from within the system or give them records from elsewhere. 

29 minutes ago, markeb said:

Interesting.  Well we never had a pandemic in our lifetimes.  In the age of Medical Records.  Or electronic records.  So this was unexpected and as with everything else our society was totally unprepared.  I think the medical/vaccine records will be an ongoing conversation for years to come.

1 hour ago, markeb said:

We have a trip to Iceland in late July/August and our tour has advised us that our CDC vaccine card is all we need for entry into the country (also, we take a COVID19 antigen test upon entry).

We also have a yellow document with all our vaccines, including yellow fever, typhoid, etc. that we were told we needed for a safari in Africa.   Our local health department only gave us the CDC card, not sure if we could ask them to add our COVID vaccinations to that document, or would that matter.

I plan to take a photo of our CDC vaccine card and keep it on my iPhone.