Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

10 minutes ago, DWhit said:

OK, this is probably a stupid question but I have noted this thread has a lot of very intelligent folks participating so they will know the answer.  

My wife and I are booked on an RCI cruise from Bahamas next month and we have to take a COVID test to re-enter the USA after the cruise.  

Recently I donated platelets at the Red Cross, and they test all donations for Covid.  The test results came back "Reactive", which their literature said meant the first Covid test for the spike protein came back positive, while the second test for a different thing came back negative (most likely).  It said this result is consistent with someone who has been vaccinated (which applies to me,  i.e. I have beeen vaccinated but never had Covid).

My question is whether it is possible we could get some kind of positive test result on the return from the Bahamas because of the vaccine that would show positive for Covid and cause problems?  Is one kind of test better than another in this regard?   I would think this has been planned for, but you never know...

Anything is possible.  You should ask the CDC for clarification.  They may get back to you in a few years.

34 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Can't answer you testing question but the issue is moot as RCL cancelled the Bahamas summer sailings earlier today.

WHAT! I thought it was Bermuda.... I am scheduled for August...where did you hear that?

38 minutes ago, kearney said:

WHAT! I thought it was Bermuda.... I am scheduled for August...where did you hear that?

It is Bermuda.  Bahamas is still on as far as I know.

Edited by DWhit

3 hours ago, DWhit said:

OK, this is probably a stupid question but I have noted this thread has a lot of very intelligent folks participating so they will know the answer.  

My wife and I are booked on an RCI cruise from Bahamas next month and we have to take a COVID test to re-enter the USA after the cruise.  

Recently I donated platelets at the Red Cross, and they test all donations for Covid.  The test results came back "Reactive", which their literature said meant the first Covid test for the spike protein came back positive, while the second test for a different thing came back negative (most likely).  It said this result is consistent with someone who has been vaccinated (which applies to me,  i.e. I have beeen vaccinated but never had Covid).

My question is whether it is possible we could get some kind of positive test result on the return from the Bahamas because of the vaccine that would show positive for Covid and cause problems?  Is one kind of test better than another in this regard?   I would think this has been planned for, but you never know...

ARC does antibody testing for Covid I believe. That would be consistent with a person being recently vaccinated for Covid. Some of the antibody tests early on did not work well to detect antibodies from vaccination because of the virus components chosen to use in developing the test, but I think that has been addressed. ARC obviously is using a different antibody test. Even though they are testing donations, Covid to my knowledge is not spread by blood or blood products, I think they were using the testing to bolster donations.

I have not heard of a country using any antibody testing for entry, it is all antigen or nasal PCR looking for active infection - you should be fine.

1 minute ago, cangelmd said:

ARC does antibody testing for Covid I believe. That would be consistent with a person being recently vaccinated for Covid. Some of the antibody tests early on did not work well to detect antibodies from vaccination because of the virus components chosen to use in developing the test, but I think that has been addressed. ARC obviously is using a different antibody test. Even though they are testing donations, Covid to my knowledge is not spread by blood or blood products, I think they were using the testing to bolster donations.

I have not heard of a country using any antibody testing for entry, it is all antigen or nasal PCR looking for active infection - you should be fine.

Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it.

10 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Yes that is the simple answer.  

None of the vaccines under EUA in the US would shed virus. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines don't contain virus at all, only a snippet of mRNA. The J&J vaccine is based around an incomplete adenovirus that can enter cells and carry genetic material to produce segments of the SPIKE protein, but doesn't replicate. Again, nothing to shed.

• Like 2

• Two weeks after the second dose, the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was 88% effective against symptomatic disease from the B.1.617 variant first detected in India. It's 93% effective against the B.1.1.7 variant first found in England.

https://www.axios.com/pfizer-biontech-astrazeneca-covid-variants-effective-28bc0355-e361-4b32-9c6c-328185a36036.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Current Green, Amber and Red countries for UK travelers.  Some examples. The USA and most parts of the northern hemisphere world are Amber.  India is Red as is all of South America.  Portugal and Iceland as well as AUS/NZ and Singapore are Green.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2021/may/24/england-covid-travel-which-countries-are-on-the-green-amber-and-red-lists

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Current Green, Amber and Red countries for UK travelers.  Some examples. The USA and most parts of the northern hemisphere world are Amber.  India is Red as is all of South America.  Portugal and Iceland as well as AUS/NZ and Singapore are Green.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2021/may/24/england-covid-travel-which-countries-are-on-the-green-amber-and-red-lists

That's a pretty nonsensical list.   No consideration for vaccination status either.  Weird. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, D C said:

That's a pretty nonsensical list.   No consideration for vaccination status either.  Weird. 

It was announced a while back by the UK for their citizens.  Vaccination status might come into play as they will be constantly revising this list.

16 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Finally, Richard Fain confirms we have finally made it to the "End of the Tunnel"!! 😁

https://fb.watch/5HLT2a8iJd/

Ken he is quite confident about sailings as early as June from US ports.  And the expanded dialogue with the CDC.  All good to hear.  As a high profile CEO, what he says affects his stock price so hopefully his confidence is founded in reality.  Is he putting the cart before the horse?  Hopefully not.     I would still love to actually hear the CDC say something or do something about the timing of cruises from US ports.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Finally, Richard Fain confirms we have finally made it to the "End of the Tunnel"!! 😁

https://fb.watch/5HLT2a8iJd/

I have very much enjoyed watching these videos and Mr. Fain has earned at least a second tier spot in my "List of People I Would Like to Meet at a Dinner Party and Never Will".

In his first video he was every inch the CEO - well fitted suit, neat tie - now he's just hanging out at his house close to the dock while the lawn service is busily cutting the neighbor's grass, telling us about his grandchildren. I would love to know what he really thinks about this unexpected one year vacay (I know it hasn't been a vacation for him or anyone else, but the transition over the videos is amusing).

3 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I have very much enjoyed watching these videos and Mr. Fain has earned at least a second tier spot in my "List of People I Would Like to Meet at a Dinner Party and Never Will".

In his first video he was every inch the CEO - well fitted suit, neat tie - now he's just hanging out at his house close to the dock while the lawn service is busily cutting the neighbor's grass, telling us about his grandchildren. I would love to know what he really thinks about this unexpected one year vacay (I know it hasn't been a vacation for him or anyone else, but the transition over the videos is amusing).

Good list.  I would put Dr. Rochelle Walensky on my dinner party list before Mr. Fain.  Inviting both at the same time would be pure entertainment!😀

17 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I imagine he has to have retirement on the horizon very soon. He's been with RC since the mid 80's. After the past year he's got to be exhausted. 

• Like 2

We have a transatlantic cruise from Rome to Ft. L. in October and already have our one-way tickets to Rome.

The EU appears to be ready to open  up to vaccinated North Americans.  Will we still be required to take a COVID19 test prior to flying to Rome?  I expect that would be the case.

Also, I have emailed Celebrity as to whether they will assist us in any way in providing any testing prior to boarding our cruise ship or while on the ship, since we have four ports during the cruise.  Also, some of our British friends have booked flights back to the UK on the day the cruise ends.  They wonder if the ship will have PCR tests while on board so they can catch those flights.