Dressing up

jcool

1 hour ago, Renmar said:

I too was getting pretty tired of the refund treads so I think it is soooooo nice to go back to the old ways again about dress-butter-chairs- booze and maybe even chair hogging. Can't wait 😉.

Theo

Hi Renmar, I totally agree with you. I always wear a tuxedo and my girl friend is a chair hog. 😳😁

See Photo’s 😁😁

4056DB59-36DA-4265-B5F9-6D8B87B5056D.jpeg

0FD4C702-B34E-4E08-9895-E7A11F3B540A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've taken 60 plus cruises, mostly on Princess.  To be sure, the enforcement of the dress code has gotten more lax and can be hit or miss.  On our last cruises, mid January just before the Covid mess began, I witnessed people being denied entrance to MDR because of their attire on two different non-formal nights.  A year ago, I was seated next to a gentleman who wore jogging pants and t-shirt with a super hero logo on formal night.  (He was in front of us in line for ATD).  It really depends on the Maitre D.  I would say you have a better than 50/50 chance you will be seated wearing what you describe. 

You should know that if you are asked to dress according to the posted and published guidelines, "I didn't know" and "But I'm on vacation" are overused and are not persuasive.

Cheers

DSCN1190.JPG

2 hours ago, Renmar said:

I too was getting pretty tired of the refund treads so I think it is soooooo nice to go back to the old ways again about dress-butter-chairs- booze and maybe even chair hogging. Can't wait 😉.

Theo

Now here is a thought!! How about reviving the barrel chair thread!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rkmw said:

I have seen men in shorts in the MDR so it’s not really enforced
Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have seen shorts usually on the first and last evening of the cruise. I have also seen passengers in shorts turned away. If you want to wear shorts be prepared with other clothing and don't be surprised if you are turned away.  Shorts are permitted for lunch and breakfast. 

7 hours ago, Bemidji Ty said:

I've taken 60 plus cruises, mostly on Princess.  To be sure, the enforcement of the dress code has gotten more lax and can be hit or miss.  On our last cruises, mid January just before the Covid mess began, I witnessed people being denied entrance to MDR because of their attire on two different non-formal nights.  A year ago, I was seated next to a gentleman who wore jogging pants and t-shirt with a super hero logo on formal night.  (He was in front of us in line for ATD).  It really depends on the Maitre D.  I would say you have a better than 50/50 chance you will be seated wearing what you describe. 

You should know that if you are asked to dress according to the posted and published guidelines, "I didn't know" and "But I'm on vacation" are overused and are not persuasive.

Cheers

DSCN1190.JPG

Taken from Mt Roberts?

14 hours ago, cvpends said:

Who else is as excited as me to see a dress code thread?  Back to a normal topic after too many months of talk of cancellations, refunds, and FCC's!

I too was exhilarated and was worried that cruising was done forever......thank god for a "dress code thread" again!!

Also, this just in......Princess just announced that not wearing formal clothes on Formal Nights has been found to stop the spread of COVID-19 so NO MORE FORMAL NIGHTS!!!!

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Also, this just in......Princess just announced that not wearing formal clothes on Formal Nights has been found to stop the spread of COVID-19 so NO MORE FORMAL NIGHTS!!!!

Assuming that you are not joking, where was this announced?  A link would be nice.

I have seen people turned away from the dining room for wearing shorts at dinner on several cruises. Anyone can wear shorts at breakfast and at lunch.

I was attacked by many people on this board when I complained about people wearing ratty looking jeans and  t-shirts on this board in another discussion regarding dress code on formal nights. For me, I usually wear a simple dress with flats on those nights and enjoy doing so. My husband will wear a jacket, dress shirt but usually no tie on those nights. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rkmw said:

I have seen men in shorts in the MDR so it’s not really enforced

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is in my experience.  Brother-in-law was asked to return with "more appropriate" pants (he was wearing shorts) in the dining room.

• Like 1

I don't understand hard lines in the sand on this.  I've seen people turned away from the dining room, never seen shorts worn for dinner in main dining.  Granted I'm never in the Caribbean or on a shorter cruise (less than 14 days).  It does seem simple though, if you want to be casual, there are other choices.

To me, not difficult.  It doesn't have to be jeans, which when packing for 30 days, why would I take them.  I can get 2 pairs of cotton twill slacks for every pair of jeans.  Jeans are hot, heavy, not practical.  I wear them in NE Wisc. most days, never take them on vacation.

I call it the "casualization" of the U.S. and it isn't just cruise ships.  It's been happening everywhere for years now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cvpends said:

Assuming that you are not joking, where was this announced?  A link would be nice.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally? :classic_ohmy:

Edited by PrincessLuver

We used to worry about packing formal wear but got tired of it. We wear good slacks with a polo shirt or maybe hubby wears a button shirt ( no tie) and occasionally I wear a nice blouse. On Cunard we avoid the dining room and go to the buffet as they are fussy!! Unfortunately that may not be an option anymore.  Woooooooe is me!!!

Would not recommend shorts and t.shirts in the evening on any ship.

Edited by gmjc2

Thanks everyone for your help. 

Beg3yrs  

of course our clothes do not have holes in them if they were stained or with holes, they would be in the trash 

Thrak 

I been on Carnival so many times. And other lines cruise lines I just want a change. 

Pris993 

If I have to wear a dress, I would wear a dress. That is why I am asking. Even if I am uncomfortable dressing up. 

• Like 1