I need some encouragement

Markanddonna

We are retired and would take about two longer vacations each year, each including a cruise. Mostly to Europe, Australia, etc. I starting to experience the duldrums with no cruise on my schedule, but I bet a lot of you are in my position. The longer this COVID mess continues, the more distant any trip seems as I won't be one of the first on any ship.  

I was doing pretty well the first few months, staying busy with organizing, cleaning, researching family history, and taking folks on Zoom travel tours to Europe.  Now, seeing these places just makes me sad.  How do you stay positive about travel without planning that just seems like a future letdown?

Donna

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

How do you stay positive about travel without planning that just seems like a future letdown?

How about a road trip? We've got an airbnb for a week in N. Oregon and our kids and grands hope they can join us. From there we're heading north to the Olympic Peninsula  and then to Anacortes and then to Seattle.

Our doldrums aren't from not traveling cause we really don't think much about it. It's more like going out to eat and have an "adult beverage":)  We're getting more shut down here so it seems insane to think about intl. travel. We're HOPING for 2022.

I've been researching family history too.  My family tree is fairly massive now.  It's been very interesting. I've got a cruise booked for January, but haven't gotten too excited about it since the last two cruises I had booked were cancelled.  I usually research excursions, book a few, and purchase some items.  I am not doing it until I know it will sail.  In fact, I usually have two cruises booked at one time, but I really don't want to put down another deposit unless I can get a super good deal.

I try to look on the bright side.  I am saving a lot of money by not traveling this year.  I have been looking into land based vacations, although I do not want to fly any time soon.  We may drive to the coast and stay in a beach condo at the end of next month. It really helps that we have a pool and swim every day it's sunny.  I think I would go stir crazy if not for that.  I'm just trying to enjoy the positives while I wait for cruising to begin again.

We also love to travel and take a couple of cruises plus flying to nyc and other places to see friends and family, this will sooner or later go away , but most likely later. We are not interested in car trips , luckily we live in a big city and can go to nice restaurants with live music a couple of days a week. We are also lucky that we have a pool in our backyard that we can use 6 months out of the year. But really hard to stay positive.

Suggest it is time for a staycation. We spent 5 days in Victoria  last week and on Thursday we leave for a 3 week trip in the RV through the Rockies and to our wine region. Fortunately, we have the virus under control, so travel around our Province is relatively safe.

In September, we return to wine country for 2 weeks in the RV, then in October we head to Whistler for a few days.

18 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Suggest it is time for a staycation. We spent 5 days in Victoria  last week and on Thursday we leave for a 3 week trip in the RV through the Rockies and to our wine region. Fortunately, we have the virus under control, so travel around our Province is relatively safe.

In September, we return to wine country for 2 weeks in the RV, then in October we head to Whistler for a few days.

Sounds perfect. YAY for Canada. Gov. Newsom (CA) just closed all the wine tasting rooms - as well he should. I imagine that OR  will also and I don't know if WA already has.

But, yes, staycation'ish  is going to be not just good but great! Thanks.

3 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

We are retired and would take about two longer vacations each year, each including a cruise. Mostly to Europe, Australia, etc. I starting to experience the duldrums with no cruise on my schedule, but I bet a lot of you are in my position. The longer this COVID mess continues, the more distant any trip seems as I won't be one of the first on any ship.  

I was doing pretty well the first few months, staying busy with organizing, cleaning, researching family history, and taking folks on Zoom travel tours to Europe.  Now, seeing these places just makes me sad.  How do you stay positive about travel without planning that just seems like a future letdown?

Donna

Don't let anyone else make you feel bad about how you feel. It's entirely natural to be down or sad when you can't enjoy an activity that means a lot to you, whether that's travel or anything else. That's my step 1: just accept that you're going to feel a bit sad -- it's perfectly normal.

For the first couple of months, I admit I also felt a bit paralyzed about planning future trips. Short road trips or staycations don't do much for me -- my "bonny" (i.e., classical ancient history) lies over the ocean. But for the last few weeks I have contented myself with:

1) The continuing process of keeping my current trips on the books -- for example, taking advantage of one cruise line's offer to move your cruise to the following year, same time at the same cost. Looking for ways to earn FF miles, making notes on things I will book as soon as I think that a trip will be a "go":  hotels, private tours, tickets for museums, etc.

2) At the same time, I am doing my 'research' early -- reading books set in the locations I'll be visiting, or looking for documentaries, shows, webinars, even movies set in the right locations. 

3) This may not work for everyone, but I also find that avoiding spending a lot of time looking at photos of past travels during happier times helps. Talking about it on forums like this one doesn't seem to bother me as much, and often can be a way to gather information about upcoming trips or even hear about a trip you'd never seriously considered before.

4) It may help to limit exposure to news. I tend to read only the more medically-focused info about COVID, rather than all the crazy-making news stories that only point up the dissension, needless mortality, etc. It makes me feel a bit calmer overall.

Where I live, it is not, at this time, really safe to go out to restaurants or any events, sadly. People do not reliably wear masks. To tell the truth, things haven't improved in the four months I have been, to all intents and purposes, quarantined at home. In all that time I have not eaten out once, have avoided any lengthy grocery store visits (use InstaCart and only go to store for a few quick items), have not met face-to-face with any friends, family, or co-workers. It can feel very claustrophobic. But I am young enough to feel that this will someday ease, things will approach normal, and I will be able to travel to Europe again -- whether on a cruise or just on my own.

Good luck to you -- keep hoping!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, clo said:

Sounds perfect. YAY for Canada. Gov. Newsom (CA) just closed all the wine tasting rooms - as well he should. I imagine that OR  will also and I don't know if WA already has.

But, yes, staycation'ish  is going to be not just good but great! Thanks.

OMG, the tasting rooms have closed again.

While we have experienced an uptick in numbers of new cases to about 20 per day, we still have most of our pubs, restaurants and tasting rooms open. Visited 3 pubs/tasting rooms in Victoria last week. In Williams Lake we will try a couple of breweries. In the Okanagan we will visit a couple of wineries each day.

Sounds like a lot of travel still happening. Things will not be safe until people take this seriously and stay home. Especially those is states with increasing problems. No need to spread it around to other communities. Travel should be restricted to one gas tank distance from home. RV and car travel, while slightly safer, still involve gas stops, site checkins and facility use among other things. 

We are one of very few states with decreasing number of cases but our county has seen increases recently after reopening appts at a large medical facility which attracts traveling pts. We are now seeing 15-20 new cases per day.

We shop for groceries only when necessary and during the early morning hour, have not eaten out or had take out since early March and most churches are still closed. Many restaurants, while allowed indoor service with fewer patrons since the end of June, still have not opened for indoor service. Travel for travel sake is still a long way off for most of us. (I did get my “travel” as a courier for swab samples from outlying clinics to the testing lab.) No more than 300 miles round trip so gas always purchased in home town.

3 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

RV and car travel, while slightly safer, still involve gas stops, site checkins and facility use among other things. 

And this is something we continue to think about. We'll be taking all manner of food. The place we're staying has a auto gate check-in. Things we would never have thought about a year ago. And thanks for weighing in. I agree with you.

26 minutes ago, clo said:

And this is something we continue to think about. We'll be taking all manner of food. The place we're staying has a auto gate check-in. Things we would never have thought about a year ago. And thanks for weighing in. I agree with you.

We do not agree. I advocate staying close to home while you are traveling to other states from a high incident state, purchasing gas and using facilities others will use. Where are your children and grands coming from? 

Things are certainly different from before which helps but still a long way to go. I needed to make a purchase today in a store and they operate completely touch less to the point where to use my cc, they texted me a link for me to enter my information in front of them.

4 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Where are your children and grands coming from? 

It's a unique/serious situation. Our daughter suffered a severe bike accident. A broken neck vertebra, broken bones in her face and teeth broken from the bones. They will hopefully be able to join us. They are HUGE environmentalists. HUGE. We will take already cooked food. We will make as small a 'footprint' as possible.

5 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

How do you stay positive about travel without planning that just seems like a future letdown?

Donna

HI Donna

I understand where you are coming from.....  at the beginning late January  it didn't seam that bad.....

We read about what is happen in the US and it is scary...  Here in Australia things are not as bad... but a lot of people  do not seem to understand social distancing.... and longer things go on,   the more worried one becomes......

At the beginning people were saying later in the year after August things will start getting back to normal..

The light at the end of tunnel....   There was  a glimmer of hope

Then the wheels have fallen off.... things have got a lot worse... and somebody turned the light off....

As far as cruising goes things are looking grim I fear......  Our Government hate Cruise ships.....

One can go without cruising for a while.. but no cruises booked nothing to look forward to..

Now haven't been more than 15km from home since March.....  would love to the country for a week or so,

But not allowed   and now back in lockdown for another 6 weeks... with talk of going to even tighter lockdown..( can't leave home )..

Yes we are retied and outside of 4 weeks cruising a year love travelling round the state or interstate many time a year..... Now nothing... 

Well all one can say     look on the bright side of life   and your memories of a great cruise...

day dream....  sometimes I have a G&T and look though my photo book of all our cruises

and it put a smile on one's face......

At least we have memories.... Cheers Don

Since retiring, when we cruise it is invariably an add on to an extended land trip.  And almost aways booked inside the final payment window and often while we are traveling on that land trip.

It is very discouraging.  We have moved completely away from even thinking about cruise opportunities.  We are however doing research on a few land trips that are close to the top of our respective bucket lists.  Four so far, covering a two year period.  This assumes that this covid issue will be overcome.  I believe that we will be traveling by land much sooner than we will be taking any cruises.  The thought of being stuck on a cruise should there be an outbreak is very offputting to us.  We also believe that the cruise lines will think nothing of placing their profit ahead of our health and well being.

Having said that we have no intention of giving any travel provider or travel vendor even one dime of our money.  Even post covid we will be very careful about booking too far in advance for anything. There will be lots of financially weak organizations post covid and who knows how long some of them will remain solvent.

Edited by iancal

We are in the same boat. There are travel opportunities, but the cost is the same regardless of what is available. I don't want to spend $1,000 for a long weekend trip to only have to stay in our room mostly and order take out. Camping has been good for many but most of the places to go are booked out and renting an RV is expensive as well. 

The way I manage is that I still have a job, I am successful at it, we have vacations planned (2 cruises), and we will eventually get over it. I know of 4 people now that have had CV19 and their reactions to it are extremely minimal. Just have to stay positive, watch retirement savings, and it will be gone sooner or later. 

Thanks to all for responding with understanding and some compassion.  How rare in today's social media that is often so unkind.

We are in the midst of downsizing so we can leave the worries of a big home and move to a condo, hopefully for more future travel.  Our home is filled with beautiful items from Europe, North America, and Australia: wax seals of Medieval kings, a shofar from Israel, a hanging lamp from Turkey, Polish and Native American pottery, artwork from around the world, etc.  I have enjoyed looking at these things and remembering the wonderful travel opportunities of the past. 

• Like 6

A few weeks ago, we went to the ground-zero, biohazard of American in Florida. Besides not seeing a sick or symptomatic person anywhere, we wore our masks, followed procedures and exercised normal caution. No one in our group got sick.

We still went to restaurants, beaches, pools, rode bicycles around town, jet skis, etc. We had a blast. Was it the same as before all of this? Nope. However, sitting at home and being sad about all of this was taking its toll on us too. It was a great time. International travel seems too unrealistic at the moment, at least for me. There are options out there. I know lots of people going to US vacation spots and not regretting one second of it.

• Like 2

We don't want to travel outside of our state  and have been to just about everything in Ohio.  To be honest, I hate going indoors with other people around.  I've toured every garden, historic monument, and state park in Ohio...it will get better!  I need to focus on the fact that I have been WELL TRAVELED.  What a privilege that has been, but it sort of sets the standard for travel pretty high.

• Like 1

Hi Markanddonna

It looks like you did what most have done hoping things can quickly change, unfortunately not to be. 

Just as up to now you found small distractions, that just kept you busy, maybe now is the time to focus on something "more". There must be something that you have felt you could or maybe even felt you couldn't do, but never pursued because of lack of time. Now you have the time. Learn how to play a musical instrument, learn to paint, learn a new language, see how many books you can read in a year, make it a contest with friends. It's got to be something big. Something you are actually enthusiastic about, something that will make you look forward to getting out of bed very morning, not just for the next year or so but for the rest of your life. 

Once you find something that can compete in your mind with the joy you feel from a cruise, you will find the desire to come home from a trip equally rewarding to going away. You have to try, don't feel discouraged if you try something and it doesn't pan out, move on to something else, after all, you have the time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

In the Okanagan we will visit a couple of wineries each day.

Last September we visited the Mission Hills Winery in Kelowna.  I would not have the stamina to visit a second one that day.  (too much sampling!) We brought six bottles of red back home to Ireland as Okanagan wine is a bit of a rarity here.

Here, we are not travelling so much.  DW has been mostly home since March 11th (now 4 months! 😭) and only ventures out for medical appointments.  The furthest I have travelled is about 8km/5 miles.  Facemasks are widely worn in streets, shops etc.

That said, I do so much want to travel.  I keep looking at cruises from Europe in mid 2021 and try to understand what the hotel experience will be like if we were to go to Italy in late fall.  However, no matter how bad we feel about not travelling, the real pain is from not being able to hug the grandkids. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Sounds like a lot of travel still happening. Things will not be safe until people take this seriously and stay home. Especially those is states with increasing problems. No need to spread it around to other communities. Travel should be restricted to one gas tank distance from home. RV and car travel, while slightly safer, still involve gas stops, site checkins and facility use among other things. 

We are now reaping the benefits of listening to and following the directions of our Chief Medical Health Officer and with only 10 to 20 new cases per day in the entire Province, we have been at phase 3 of re-opening for 3 weeks. We can now travel freely within our home Province.

Social distancing is still being practiced and masks, although not mandatory are highly recommended.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Last September we visited the Mission Hills Winery in Kelowna.  I would not have the stamina to visit a second one that day.  (too much sampling!) We brought six bottles of red back home to Ireland as Okanagan wine is a bit of a rarity here.

Here, we are not travelling so much.  DW has been mostly home since March 11th (now 4 months! 😭) and only ventures out for medical appointments.  The furthest I have travelled is about 8km/5 miles.  Facemasks are widely worn in streets, shops etc.

That said, I do so much want to travel.  I keep looking at cruises from Europe in mid 2021 and try to understand what the hotel experience will be like if we were to go to Italy in late fall.  However, no matter how bad we feel about not travelling, the real pain is from not being able to hug the grandkids. 

We visited Mission Hills a few years ago, an amazing facility. We tend to favour the south Okanagan in Osoyoos, where they have a pleasant RV Park. As our caravan is 41 feet with the truck another 23' we have to be selective in booking RV parks. Can't access any of our Provincial Parks.

At present we have a river cruise followed by a midnight sun booked in May/June , still hoping it goes ahead.

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

We don't want to travel outside of our state  and have been to just about everything in Ohio.  To be honest, I hate going indoors with other people around.  I've toured every garden, historic monument, and state park in Ohio...it will get better!  I need to focus on the fact that I have been WELL TRAVELED.  What a privilege that has been, but it sort of sets the standard for travel pretty high.

We were talking to our daughter the other day about future travel. If we never take another intl trip we've already done more than almost anyone we know. That feels really good.

• Like 1