I need some encouragement

Markanddonna

3 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Thank you for the link  - I just checked his site. Oh my ... his tours are very expensive - especially as they are only virtual visits. €300.76 for one person. Am I missing something? Think I will stick to my notes & guide books from previous visits. Mary Beard does some wonderful youtube videos that are free of charge.

That price is just to make the virtual tour seem more realistic!  😃😃😃

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

There's a lot of ancient Rome remaining in Barcelona (Barcino to the Romans) -- next time you are there visit the Roman ruins under the old Cathedral, look at the ancient Roman towers (part of the defensive walls) still standing at stretches throughout the old city, or take a tour through the museum (MUHBA) of several fascinating subterranean Roman houses -- complete with mosaics and even a fresco or two.

Barcelona is a wonderful city.  We've been there twice. Our virtual guide on Sunday told us that COVID is resurging in Spain and they are closing back down some hot areas.  So, it isn't just the USA.  So little is reported about Europe's experiences with COVID now.  You have to really work to find info.

22 hours ago, clo said:

So have you not been there? I could live in Barcelona! And, oh, the food! We had a penthouse apt. walking distance to Sagrada Familia and a block to public transpo. Such an easy city to get around.

We enjoyed our post TA stay in Barcelona, although after getting off the ship and taxied to near our hotel in the Gothic Quarter, we fell victim to a petty crime.  Someone through some crap at my back, a few other"pedestrians" offered some "sympathy" and help cleaning up the mess, and even a bicyclist coming from the other direction offered water.

A shoulder bag with my meds, camera, binoculars, phone and some other stuff got stolen in the contrived confusion.  Luckily our passports and money were stashed in my zippered shorts pocket.  So much for first impressions.  I wouldn't have been surprised to learn that the taxi driver tipped off the petty thieves that we were pigeons.

We didn't let this spoil our vacation there however, but we did go about the rest of our 4 day stay with much heightened awareness.  We were prepared for pickpockets and their attention diverting schemes, but we hadn't read about this tactic.  We did meet some other folk who also fell victim to the bird crap setup.

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

We enjoyed our post TA stay in Barcelona, although after getting off the ship and taxied to near our hotel in the Gothic Quarter, we fell victim to a petty crime.  Someone through some crap at my back, a few other"pedestrians" offered some "sympathy" and help cleaning up the mess, and even a bicyclist coming from the other direction offered water.

A shoulder bag with my meds, camera, binoculars, phone and some other stuff got stolen in the contrived confusion.  Luckily our passports and money were stashed in my zippered shorts pocket.  So much for first impressions.  I wouldn't have been surprised to learn that the taxi driver tipped off the petty thieves that we were pigeons.

We didn't let this spoil our vacation there however, but we did go about the rest of our 4 day stay with much heightened awareness.  We were prepared for pickpockets and their attention diverting schemes, but we hadn't read about this tactic.  We did meet some other folk who also fell victim to the bird crap setup.

Barcelona is a hive of petty street crime like this. The first time I was there my wallet was taken from my zipped purse, which was crossbody and under my arm, without me even noticing. I think it happened when I was either boarding or getting off a bus. They are good.

At any rate, I've been back four times since then and am very careful -- I only bring essentials (never my passport) when out walking around and it's one place where I ALWAYS use a money belt or hidden pocket.

There are always new "scams" -- one just has to train oneself that when any kind of commotion like that happens, you should immediately secure any valuables, refuse all offers of help, and get out of the vicinity. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Barcelona is a hive of petty street crime like this. The first time I was there my wallet was taken from my zipped purse, which was crossbody and under my arm, without me even noticing. I think it happened when I was either boarding or getting off a bus. They are good.

At any rate, I've been back four times since then and am very careful -- I only bring essentials (never my passport) when out walking around and it's one place where I ALWAYS use a money belt or hidden pocket.

There are always new "scams" -- one just has to train oneself that when any kind of commotion like that happens, you should immediately secure any valuables, refuse all offers of help, and get out of the vicinity. 

I lost my wallet from a buttoned trouser pocket covered by the tail of my blazer on the Rome Metro.   Since then, essentials are always in a body bag, in front, under buttoned shirt - - and something else.  

These “technicians” have amazing skills.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

am very careful

For all travel now we have about $100 cash and a debit and credit card that's not related to what we carry around in our safe or whereever. One guy got both of us. Didn't get much as we had little cash on us and our apt. had wifi so we stopped those quickly. But we were down for the count for a few days. One of our daughters wired us some money and we got a debit and credit card pretty quickly. 

1 hour ago, clo said:

I didn't know until it happened to us that Barcelona is considered "the pickpocket capitol of the world"

Friends of ours were in Barcelona a few years ago.They went to dinner and afterward for a walk and were mugged .One of the muggers offered advice that in the future should they desire to walk in the area at night that they go with a group.The next evening they walked with 4 other tourists and they were all mugged.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Friends of ours were in Barcelona a few years ago.They went to dinner and afterward for a walk and were mugged .One of the muggers offered advice that in the future should they desire to walk in the area at night that they go with a group.The next evening they walked with 4 other tourists and they were all mugged.

We didn't even know it had happened until we got ready to pay for our special tapas lunch. The restaurant people were incredibly nice. Probably happens too often. And this was in a quiet residential area at lunchtime.

32 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Muggings are usually pretty rare in Barcelona. The main crime is pick-pocketing either without any awareness on the part of the victim, or as part of one of their usual scams (e.g., spilling something on the victim, stopping them and asking them to sign a petition, trying to sell or hand them something, etc.)

Once, on the Spanish steps in Rome, my ex-DH and I were surrounded by about a dozen gypsy kids, pretending to sell some trinkets. In reality, they were pressing a piece of cardboard against my DH's midsection and underneath were busy cutting through his money belt. Luckily, as a fairly street-wise New Yorker, he pushed back pretty strenuously and got us out of there fast. Even within the 15-20 seconds that took, they had almost cut through the belt.

The most horrifying scam I've heard of is the one where a "beggar"woman pretends to throw her baby at you. Of course it is not a real baby -- but I'm not sure I would be able to resist the reflexive action of trying to catch it....  Which is why I feel it's better to leave everything I can in a safe place, and whatever I do bring is usually something I would be prepared to lose if worst comes to worst...

• Like 2

I somehow got lucky in Barcelona, no pick pocketing😳. I had been told about its prevalence so I was very conscious of my environment (normally I am alert but in Barcelona I thought I needed to be extra alert😂) every time we were out and about. Perhaps this was showing in my body language and they figure there are more distracted pickings than me 😜

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I somehow got lucky in Barcelona, no pick pocketing😳. I had been told about its prevalence so I was very conscious of my environment (normally I am alert but in Barcelona I thought I needed to be extra alert😂) every time we were out and about. Perhaps this was showing in my body language and they figure there are more distracted pickings than me 😜

I guess we were also lucky our two times in Barcelona never having a meeting with a pickpocket.

On our very first cruise someone we met on the cruise had her passport stolen. But, I'm pretty sure it was in Italy, possibly Rome. not Barcelona.

On our last B2B cruise, we were in several "pickpocket capitals of the world": Rome, Barcelona, Athens, Naples, Genoa, etc. I use a Scott E-Vest, so all of my precious stuff is hidden and zipped away inside of the vest. I once wore it to a political rally and the secret service asked to inspect it.  I had to show them how to access the pockets.  They thought it was really impressive.

As we boarded our return flight, I heard an elderly lady telling of how she was mugged. She was so happy to get back home.  The country I feel safest in is Poland. Not that there isn't some degree of crime there, but most of it is directed at the party crowd who frequent bars during stag and hen parties. 

• Like 1

I believe that the best encouragement you could have is to stay positive and be realistic.  Have cruise expectations that match the reality of this situation.  Those people who post in the recent past that they have made bookings for Sept through to Dec. are fooling themselves.  This will not happen.  It could be much, much longer.  The book/FCC/rebood/FCC route is a mugs game IMHO.

So go with with plan B for the next two years.  Should cruising resume at a safe level prior then be thankful and jump on of those sailings.  In the interim, don't moan and groan about it.  Think of those who are ill or are on respirators...or worse.   Make some alternate plans, get out there, and enjoy yourself.  It could be longer than any of us think so why waste our time feeling sorry for ourselves.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My expectation is that things won't change much for most of us for at least 2 more years.  I am hoping for a reliable vaccine sooner, but not holding my breath.   Instead I have been "traveling" in my mind, via books, making it a point to learn something new everyday and, in general, waiting it out.  I had a long illness in childhood that kept me home for a significant amount of time, so I am falling back on what I did then in the sure and certain knowledge that eventually things will get better somehow and we'll be able to travel.  Until then, I will research, find ideas and create plans for what we want to do when we are all able to travel again.  It will happen. I am confident of that. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SuiteTraveler said:

My expectation is that things won't change much for most of us for at least 2 more years.  I am hoping for a reliable vaccine sooner, but not holding my breath.   Instead I have been "traveling" in my mind, via books, making it a point to learn something new everyday and, in general, waiting it out.  I had a long illness in childhood that kept me home for a significant amount of time, so I am falling back on what I did then in the sure and certain knowledge that eventually things will get better somehow and we'll be able to travel.  Until then, I will research, find ideas and create plans for what we want to do when we are all able to travel again.  It will happen. I am confident of that. 

I too had a long illness in childhood.When the pandemic began my initial thought was that I missed 6 weeks of school so this will not be a problem.I did not anticipate it lasting this long.

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I too had a long illness in childhood.When the pandemic began my initial thought was that I missed 6 weeks of school so this will not be a problem.I did not anticipate it lasting this long.

Epidemics often span many years, even decades.  We are lucky that virologists are already on the brink of a vaccine.  In time, a solution will be found.  Hold steady and stay true to the course. We WILL get through this.

11 hours ago, SuiteTraveler said:

Epidemics often span many years, even decades.  We are lucky that virologists are already on the brink of a vaccine.  In time, a solution will be found.  Hold steady and stay true to the course. We WILL get through this.

I hope so.