I need some encouragement

Markanddonna

Part of our planning process for land trips is to select our first countries on our bucket list that have done a good job on covid.  The second part is selecting those that we can fly direct to. 

We have no wish to change planes or spend any time in the UK, France or the US.   So, at the moment Greece is high on our list.  Morocco is on that list as well since we easily fly direct to both.  For winter it could be Vietnam, Thailand as long as we can get a flight that changes in Japan or Korea.   Australia if they have opened up for us..   With the exception of Morocco these are revisits where we know we can travel to places in the country that are out of the way and far less busy.

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi Markanddonna

It looks like you did what most have done hoping things can quickly change, unfortunately not to be. 

Just as up to now you found small distractions, that just kept you busy, maybe now is the time to focus on something "more". There must be something that you have felt you could or maybe even felt you couldn't do, but never pursued because of lack of time. Now you have the time. Learn how to play a musical instrument, learn to paint, learn a new language, see how many books you can read in a year, make it a contest with friends. It's got to be something big. Something you are actually enthusiastic about, something that will make you look forward to getting out of bed very morning, not just for the next year or so but for the rest of your life. 

Once you find something that can compete in your mind with the joy you feel from a cruise, you will find the desire to come home from a trip equally rewarding to going away. You have to try, don't feel discouraged if you try something and it doesn't pan out, move on to something else, after all, you have the time.

Fantastic words and philosophy. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, clo said:

We were talking to our daughter the other day about future travel. If we never take another intl trip we've already done more than almost anyone we know. That feels really good.

Yes, I believe our generation has been extremely fortunate with our ability to travel extensively, at a reasonable cost.

Unfortunately, it may be more restricted for our kids and g'kids.

3 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Yes, I believe our generation has been extremely fortunate with our ability to travel extensively, at a reasonable cost.

Unfortunately, it may be more restricted for our kids and g'kids.

Like many others on this board have mentioned, cruising pre-COVID will be a lovely memory. I manage to stay quite busy, but now that we are selling our home, I can't commit to much of anything because of those random showings.  I guess my new interest has to be in keeping an immaculate home. 

I am a historical researcher and writer and a year round volunteer for Samaritan's Purse, so that keeps me busy.  Funny that the latest book I was going to publish was on Traveling and Cruising to the Holy Land.  I fear that all of my great advice will be SO out of date when it is ready to be released.  Traveling was the fuel for my creative engines.  Another sigh.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Like many others on this board have mentioned, cruising pre-COVID will be a lovely memory. I manage to stay quite busy, but now that we are selling our home, I can't commit to much of anything because of those random showings.  I guess my new interest has to be in keeping an immaculate home. 

I am a historical researcher and writer and a year round volunteer for Samaritan's Purse, so that keeps me busy.  Funny that the latest book I was going to publish was on Traveling and Cruising to the Holy Land.  I fear that all of my great advice will be SO out of date when it is ready to be released.  Traveling was the fuel for my creative engines.  Another sigh.

Stay positive, as some type of normal will return. Good luck updating the new book.

I have also had a difficult time planning future trips.  We had a 4 month European trip scheduled for this summer that included 3 cruises, a week with friends celebrating someone’s 50th birthday at a Tuscany cooking school plus a trip though the Alps. Had so many reservations that it took me 2 full days to notify everyone of our cancellation.   I’ve saved the research I did for this summer to use another year.  

The cooking school slipped to next year so now I am planning another 4 months in Europe and planning to visit the Balkans rather than using the plan I created for this year due to a desire to pack very light and only take summer clothes.   I am planning knowing it will likely be cancelled and although I originally planned for 2 cruises, I’m looking at land trip only as an option if the cruises aren’t an option.   And it is difficult.  I am only making reservations that can be cancelled.  I have to tell myself if we have to cancel we will eventually use my research because we want to visit that area some time.  

I consider myself lucky that we live at the beach and can enjoy that without traveling.  

Personally I have fostered and nurtured a mindset that focuses on and enjoys the things I do, and doesn't give much thought - and no regret - over what I can't do.  For me it is one of the most important elements of a happy life.  It has stood me in good stead during these times.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Personally I have fostered and nurtured a mindset that focuses on and enjoys the things I do, and doesn't give much thought - and no regret - over what I can't do.  For me it is one of the most important elements of a happy life.  It has stood me in good stead during these times.

One of the things that helps me do this is to assume that it will even hopefully be a couple of years before any intl travel. 

2 hours ago, clo said:

We were talking to our daughter the other day about future travel. If we never take another intl trip we've already done more than almost anyone we know. That feels really good.

But are there still places on your bucket list that you have not seen yet?

We lost our Norwegian fjords cruise that would have started the weekend after this following weekend. We had the ship's tour back to the airport that included Stonehenge. That was definitely a bucket list item. The Panama Canal is another place we have not been. 

18 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

We are retired and would take about two longer vacations each year, each including a cruise. Mostly to Europe, Australia, etc. I starting to experience the duldrums with no cruise on my schedule, but I bet a lot of you are in my position. The longer this COVID mess continues, the more distant any trip seems as I won't be one of the first on any ship.  

I was doing pretty well the first few months, staying busy with organizing, cleaning, researching family history, and taking folks on Zoom travel tours to Europe.  Now, seeing these places just makes me sad.  How do you stay positive about travel without planning that just seems like a future letdown?

Donna

I try not to think about travel and stay off Cruise Critic for days at a time. I sew and take brisk miles-long walks. I'm not sure how the walks are going to go because as of yesterday we're mandated to wear masks even while excercising outdoors. We'll see tomorrow! I've been reading and watching a lot of movies.

All my cleaning and organizing was done in the first few months as well. It is disheartening to be at home all the time and the uncertainty is such a stressor! My heart goes out to you and all I can say is you are certainly not alone.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my cruises and land vacations the past 25 years or so, and have some great memories.  we did have trips cancelled this year to Panama, Egypt, Norway and Iceland which was disappointing but understandable.

There's something called the Serenity Prayer which helps me in these troubled times, to accept the things I cannot change.  Lowering travel expectations gives me less reason to moan & groan about what we're missing.

• Like 1

We moved our January 2021 trip to 2022. At the time we thought, well maybe we'll do a Vegas trip, or take a long drive to Colorado. Not now, unless something major changes we will be staying right at home.

My wife has a large in-home daycare and we have been extremely careful. Since March she has left the house only once to get her hair cut. I do curbside pickup at the store and that is it.

Stay strong and reach out to positive family and friends.

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We are now reaping the benefits of listening to and following the directions of our Chief Medical Health Officer and with only 10 to 20 new cases per day in the entire Province, we have been at phase 3 of re-opening for 3 weeks. We can now travel freely within our home Province.

Social distancing is still being practiced and masks, although not mandatory are highly recommended.

You did a good job of containment but in the States it is still highly recommended to stay within your home state.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We lost our Norwegian fjords cruise that would have started the weekend after this following weekend. We had the ship's tour back to the airport that included Stonehenge. That was definitely a bucket list item. The Panama Canal is another place we have not been. 

The Norwegian fjords - on Hurtigruten - was stunning. So much so that we were scheduled to do the NB only as part of a bigger trip.

Bucket list? Maybe the Galapagos. And perhaps New Zealand. It's supposed to be stunning and I will then have all seven continents 🙂

We canceled an Oceania cruise that covered a lot of Baltic and Scandinavia. Maybe 2022?

22 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

How do you stay positive about travel without planning that just seems like a future letdown?

During these times, I'm fortunate I get to travel for work.  I spent all last week in Alaska.  While it felt surreal, especially in Juneau due to lack of tourists, I still got out on the water, did some fishing, and took some awesome hikes.  This sort of thing is helping me get through it.  

I really feel for others who have been stuck at home through all this.  Without my work travel, I'd probably go mad.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

You did a good job of containment but in the States it is still highly recommended to stay within your home state.

Our Chief Medical Officer is also recommending staying within our home Province, otherwise we need to complete a 2-week quarantine. We have no desire to leave BC this summer.

We are doing the same in Alberta.  We travel in the fall, the winter and/or the spring.  

Staying close to home.  No restaurants, no gatherings.  Covid is showing signs of surging here simply because some  people have let their guard down, not following the recommendations of our health professional etc.  

Selfish, entitled people hurt us all....especially in a pandemic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Always, it's just more obvious in a pandemic.  The quaint notions of respect, work, service to others, responsibility are concepts that seem entirely foreign to many these days.  

Edited by SelectSys
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iancal said:

Someone send me an article a few days ago that was an analysis of why Tunisia had been so successful at combating COVID 19 and in amongst all the usual, early response, preparing of medical systems their version of what I guess is the health minister credited the Tunisian culture and mindset of caring for people in their communities especially the vulnerable that encouraged Tunisians to think about consequences to their behaviour🤔. That kind of talk gives you a bit of optimisim for the world 🤗after all the online rants of "it's personal responsibillty, you have to look after yourself, not my problem" attidudes🙁.

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our Chief Medical Health Officer has coined a phrase she uses in all of her daily briefings that is widely accepted in British Columbia - it is now on t-shirts, billboards and posters.

"Be kind, be calm and be safe"

• Like 3

I like to book a cruise up to 2 years in advance. Than way I get to look forward to it for a couple years before I sail. It helps me get through difficult times in my life, knowing that the trip is in my future. 

I live in a small, upper level condo and have been sheltering since the beginning of March. I even get my groceries delivered. And any walks are at 5:30am to avoid other people. It is hard...very stressful...but I have a cruise scheduled in Feb 2022 and looking forward to that really helps.

However, if I still have to wear a mask 567 days from now or keep my distance from other people, then I will push the cruise further out. I will be traveling solo and after all this social isolation, I certainly don't want to feel isolated on the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joytocruise27 said:

I like to book a cruise up to 2 years in advance. Than way I get to look forward to it for a couple years before I sail. It helps me get through difficult times in my life, knowing that the trip is in my future. 

I live in a small, upper level condo and have been sheltering since the beginning of March. I even get my groceries delivered. And any walks are at 5:30am to avoid other people. It is hard...very stressful...but I have a cruise scheduled in Feb 2022 and looking forward to that really helps.

However, if I still have to wear a mask 567 days from now or keep my distance from other people, then I will push the cruise further out. I will be traveling solo and after all this social isolation, I certainly don't want to feel isolated on the cruise.

Let us all hope that this terrible time ends well before 567 days from now. 

Keep doing what you have to do.

1 hour ago, joytocruise27 said:

I realized recently that I could travel with a mask. It's become just second nature. And I 'chat up' people just as much as ever 🙂

On 7/14/2020 at 1:16 PM, ontheweb said:

Our cruise to the Panama Canal was great.It was when I was still relatively healthy and I am so happy that I had the opportunity to do that,We traveled with my best friend from college and his wife.It was our first vacation with them and that made the cruise even better.