If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

There is emerging new evidence that vaccinated people may well be less likely to be able to transmit (spread) the virus. I just got out of an RI Dept of Health meeting a short time ago. The info is coming out of Israel.

I have been reading those stats from Isreal as well.

Edited by MaritimeR&R
Spelling.

5 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I agree with your point of view generally. Generally. I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about this, though. I agree with the other poster who pointed out the potential "tyranny of the minority," where one person's allergy (e.g. peanuts) leads to the banning of them for everyone. That's ridiculous, in my opinion. I appreciate your perspective in realizing that your intolerance of perfume doesn't mean the whole world has to bend its will to accommodate you. But when it comes to Covid, we aren't talking about a disease that kills 100% of those exposed to it. Or 90%, or 80%, or 70% etc. We're talking 5% at most. At most. The one thing that people point out relentlessly about this is the idea that one person shouldn't potentially (not a guarantee) put other peoples' lives at risk. But the risk isn't that great in the first place! If the average driver had a 5% chance of causing a car accident that potentially caused the death of others, should that person not be able to drive? Of course not. I am of the opinion that if I am vaccinated, it won't matter to me if unvaccinated individuals are on board the same ship. I spend on average 5-10 minutes engaging in close conversation with people on ships, not 1-2 hours. I'm not worried, and if others choose not to get the vaccine, it's no bother to me. Now, having that said, I think that private businesses like cruise lines have the right to demand that people get vaccinated as a condition of allowing them to sail. My worry is that a small but vocal cadre of people who can't get vaccinated for whatever reason are going to sue if they aren't allowed to cruise. And I don't like that prospect one bit. 

Does a private business have the right to set their own rules? Can cruise lines set their own rules? That is what is at stake here. If cruise lines mandate vaccines for all crew and passengers, and it is their right to do so, then all the law suits in the world will be won by the cruise lines. But......this is only if the cruise lines have the right to set their own rules to board their ships.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coffeebean said:

Does a private business have the right to set their own rules? Can cruise lines set their own rules? That is what is at stake here. If cruise lines mandate vaccines for all crew and passengers, and it is their right to do so, then all the law suits in the world will be won by the cruise lines. But......this is only if the cruise lines have the right to set their own rules to board their ships.

So the question then becomes if they can't create a rule requiring a vaccine then which of their other rules that someone doesn't like can also be challenged? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

The current opinion is that masks, social distancing, etc will still be necessary even with the vaccine.

There is evidence to the contrary as stated by Dr. Fauci in an interview I saw on a news cast on TV. He said there is growing evidence that because of the low viral load in vaccinated people, they may not transmit the disease if they happen to have the virus.

With this evidence, the directive has come from the CDC that if a vaccinated person has an exposure to a Covid positive person two weeks after their second dose of the mRNA vaccine, that vaccinated person does NOT have to quarantine. To me, that means that a vaccinated person is not able to transmit Covid to others. That is great news.

This is what the CDC has to say about it. Take not of the 4th bulleted point........

Vaccinated people do NOT have to quarantine if exposed to a Covid positive person

5 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

The current opinion is that masks, social distancing, etc will still be necessary even with the vaccine.

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Did I not start my premise with the word IF? And current opinion is fairly meaningless. And as meaningless as my opinion may be, I think if fully vaccinated cruises go well then the restrictions will be lifted lifted sooner than later.

What good will it do if those fully vaccinated cruises go well and then NOT fully vaccinated cruises go to hell in a hand basket? We will be back at square one.

3 hours ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Someone on this forum asked when the experimental phase of the vaccines would end. 

NJ 

Found this:

The estimated completion date for Pfizer/BioNtech trials is Jan 31, 2023. The estimate completion date for Moderna trials is October 27, 2022.

I guess all of us who are gladly getting vaccinate with the mRNA vaccines are all part of the trial period. I'm very glad to help with the cause.

5 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

What good will it do if those fully vaccinated cruises go well and then NOT fully vaccinated cruises go to hell in a hand basket? We will be back at square one.

I didn't mean loosen up the vaccine requirement. I ment the other on board restrictions will be reduced when vaccines show what they can accomplish in a fully vaccinated ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I believe everyone should have the vaccine at this time to cruise. I don’t believe a unvaccinated person is more likely to spread the virus than a vaccinated one.  The vaccine just lowers the risk of getting seriously ill. 

M8

That is not what has been reported by Dr. Fauci. I already mentioned this in a previous post. Word now is that vaccinated people have lower viral load and probably will not infect others. That is wonderful news for everyone. I'm encouraged by this finding.

41 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So the question then becomes if they can't create a rule requiring a vaccine then which of their other rules that someone doesn't like can also be challenged? 

I don't really care at this point about challenging other rules. If the cruise lines can not make their own rules and mandate vaccines, then it will be a long time before cruising will resume safely. Sorry to say but that is my humble opinion.

Edited by coffeebean

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I believe everyone should have the vaccine at this time to cruise. I don’t believe a unvaccinated person is more likely to spread the virus than a vaccinated one.  The vaccine just lowers the risk of getting seriously ill. 

M8

From what I have read about these mRNA vaccines, there is no or extremely little risk of needing hospitalization. Also......the risk of developing the "long haul" side effects is non existent. That alone, is worth it to me to be vaccinated; not having those long haul side effects is a tremendous benefit of these vaccines. Oh.....and the risk of death being ZERO is also a great benefit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I didn't mean loosen up the vaccine requirement. I meant the other on board restrictions will be reduced when vaccines show what they can accomplish in a fully vaccinated ship.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood your intention. Personally, I would hope that if the rules are for a fully vaccinated ship to sail, there will be no need for masking anywhere on the ship, now that there is evidence that vaccinated people can not transmit the virus. Hoping beyond all hope that this new evidence holds true with further testing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

That is not what has been reported by Dr. Fauci. I already mentioned this in a previous post. Word now is that vaccinated people have lower viral load and probably will not infect others. That is wonderful news for everyone. I'm encouraged by this finding.

After I had Covid back in January, my Dr told me two things: 1. That I likely had some immunity to Covid for some time, probably several months, and that reinfection would be unlikely but would probably yield a milder form of it. 2. That following my 10-day isolation period, my body would test positive initially for Sars-CoV-2 but that I was no longer contagious.

In all of the discussions surrounding Coronavirus, it can be bewildering to distinguish among:

1. People who have Covid, have symptoms and are contagious.

2. People who have Covid, are asymptomatic, and are contagious.

3. People who've recently recovered from Covid, still have the virus but are not contagious

4. People who have recovered from Covid and have gotten vaccinated. (are they contagious? are they susceptible to reinfection? If so, how susceptible?)

5. People who've completely recovered from Covid, test negative for the virus, but haven't been vaccinated. (should they? How soon? Ahead of people who haven't had it yet and have no immunity?)

6. People who had Covid, didn't know it, never had symptoms and may or may not get vaccinated.

There may be further categories of people I haven't even thought of. I used to think it was a simple matter of "if you have Covid, you're sick and a threat to others, and if not, you're fine."

It's not nearly as simple as that, I've since learned. When it comes to making policy for the cruise lines, it seems to me they're going to have to consider all of the scenarios I outlined. Whether or not that is accomplished by a "no vaccination, no cruise" policy remains to be seen.

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Absolutely.  The paperwork I received yesterday after receiving the Moderna vaccine specifically says I received an unapproved vaccine and there are no FDA approved Covid 19 vaccines.  It goes on to state the FDA authorized use of the Moderna Covid 19 vaccine under an Emergency Use Authorization.

That's comforting!!  NOT  Going for our first jab Monday

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I don't really care at this point about challenging other rules. If the cruise lines can not make their own rules and mandate vaccines, then it will be a long time before cruising will resume safely. Sorry to say but that is my humble opinion.

I am pretty sure that you and I are on this same side of this issue. I'm not sure if you are misinterpreting me or I you. We are both pro full vaccine mandate.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

From what I have read about these mRNA vaccines, there is no or extremely little risk of needing hospitalization. Also......the risk of developing the "long haul" side effects is non existent. That alone, is worth it to me to be vaccinated; not having those long haul side effects is a tremendous benefit of these vaccines. Oh.....and the risk of death being ZERO is also a great benefit.

That would be good news. 

24 minutes ago, Cruise_Couple said:

Getting my vaccine in 2 hours (Moderna) Just hoping for the best, an end to Covid and happy cruises in everyones future.

My DH and I are both going tomorrow afternoon.  While we are both under 65, he (63) has asthma and type II diabetes and my (61 this Monday) BMI is over 30, but I'm otherwise healthy.  But, in VA, we are in the 1B group.  When he was notified yesterday, there were appts available for the next week.  When I went in, there were even more for the same time frame.  I'm guessing they got a larger shipment in than expected.  Don't know which one we'll be getting.  My parents are going tomorrow for their second dose (both 83).  There were even a few appts left for this afternoon and I just reserved mine in the last 1/2 hour.

• Like 2

We just got our first round of Moderna today.  We were originally 1C, but about 5 weeks ago got reclassified as 1B in NJ and the first slots available were today.  No side effects at all, in and out in 30 minutes (including the 15 min post shot wait).  Shot 2 in 4 weeks. 

We are 95% pessimistic regarding our end of August out of Bayonne, so we'll use the FCC next year and in the meantime we'll be in the DR for 8 nights in June.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

That's comforting!!  NOT  Going for our first jab Monday

I am happy you were finally able to get appointments!  Are you getting Moderna or Pfizer?  DH got Pfizer at one of the mass vaccine sites but I got Moderna at the location I went to, I wasn't able to get two appointments at the same place.

I know you are needle adverse like me.  I looked away and didn't feel a thing.  I feel it now, but I always do after a vaccine.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

I am happy you were finally able to get appointments!  Are you getting Moderna or Pfizer?  DH got Pfizer at one of the mass vaccine sites but I got Moderna at the location I went to, I wasn't able to get two appointments at the same place.

I know you are needle adverse like me.  I looked away and didn't feel a thing.  I feel it now, but I always do after a vaccine.

I didn't feel the needle either... I think the low void space sharps they're using may have helped with my phobia.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Mdderna   Never hear of anyone getting Pfizer around here.  It was weird.  Someone posted a phone number to call on FB and I called and an actual person made the appt for me.  Later that day I got (and missed it) a call from the state waiting list.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Mdderna   Never hear of anyone getting Pfizer around here.  It was weird.  Someone posted a phone number to call on FB and I called and an actual person made the appt for me.  Later that day I got (and missed it) a call from the state waiting list.  

The cold storage requirements are the big issue with Pfizer.  I was surprised that my DH was getting Pfizer, his location was the ballroom of a large hotel.  My Mom got Pfizer but she got hers at a major medical center in Boston.  I went to Gillette Stadium and it was Moderna.  They are supposed to be doing 6,000 people a day by the end of the week.  They actually have to separate vaccine clinics setup on either side of the stadium.  I could have gotten an appointment at Fenway Park, but parking in that area is a nightmare.  

• Like 2