Rotterdam in Rotterdam

samsonmo

3 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Dank je wel Jaap  @rotjeknor, thanks very much and also your son for making these pictures and specially that short video of the ship coming in and blowing its horn that was very special , I let a small tear drop ........

Here in Ontario , Canada I was up until 3.30 am to see this special moment and took my screenshots from Hotel New York  where we had a coffee together a couple of years ago . Greetings from Martha and me .

Ton 

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 3.05.44 AM.png

Lovely shot and I understand the tear drops.  me too 😞 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

This crossed my FB feed this morning.  Thought it a nice video of the Rotterdam sailing into Rotterdam for the last time.

Absolutely perfect music to go with it, too.

Now I am in tears as well.  Loved my cruises on that ship and the memories.  I will miss her ❤️ 

Thank you for sharing this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Dank je wel Jaap  @rotjeknor, thanks very much and also your son for making these pictures and specially that short video of the ship coming in and blowing its horn that was very special , I let a small tear drop ........

Here in Ontario , Canada I was up until 3.30 am to see this special moment and took my screenshots from Hotel New York  where we had a coffee together a couple of years ago . Greetings from Martha and me .

Ton 

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 3.05.44 AM.png

Dat was een vroegertje ! 
Hope we can do coffee again in Hotel NY sometime ! Say hallo to Martha , also from Patty.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

Dat was een vroegertje ! 
Hope we can do coffee again in Hotel NY sometime ! Say hallo to Martha , also from Patty.

Will let you know for sure Jaap maybe  , possibly next year on the ( New ) Rotterdam VII  ?!? 

Take care , be well and  Hi  also to Patty  

Ton

10 hours ago, kazu said:

Great pictures and videos.  Loved hearing her toots one more time.

Thank you for taking the time to share the great pics and videos  @boco @cruiseaholic78 @sailingdutchy @Lido - Lanai & @rotjeknor

I want to express my sincere appreciation for the efforts these good folks have made to share these photos and videos with us.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

A flood of tears because of many fond memories not just sailing on Rotterdam VI, but on all of my HAL cruises.  

Exactly! Feels like the end of an era!  Truly hope we sail again relatively soon!  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Feels like the end of an era!

I think we are witnessing a significant event in maritime history.  There are other cruise companies in addition to HAL that have been impacted by this economic situation.  Who can predict whatever is next?  

• Like 1

This Rotterdam did a rare classic transatlantic crossing from Rotterdam to New York in 2011. I was on it and so glad I did make the effort to come all the way from Canada to do it. The city of Rotterdam is rightfully proud of its namesake - a large crowd, including TV coverage, was on the shoreside as we left and we were followed by a number of private boats on our way out the channel. As if this was not enough but it was topped off with fireworks as we headed out to the North Sea. Definitely one of the best sailaways we ever had. Will miss this ship but onwards to Rotterdam VII.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Bramcruiser said:

Will miss this ship but onwards to Rotterdam VII.

It would be comforting if Rotterdam VII had the twin funnel design of Rotterdam V and VI.  But, I doubt that at this stage of construction, it would be too late for such a change.  

The photo's have been fantastic and I've really enjoyed (tearfully) them.  This is a picture of the Rotterdam, NL area with the cruise dock, where the Rotterdam is now and also the Damen Shipyards, where the RDam and the ADam will go for their required hull inspection.  The Amsterdam left Gibraltar today after refueling and will arrive straight to the shipyard on the 15th.  So sad to see these ships go. 

Rotterdam_Shipyardds.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

The photo's have been fantastic and I've really enjoyed (tearfully) them.  This is a picture of the Rotterdam, NL area with the cruise dock, where the Rotterdam is now and also the Damen Shipyards, where the RDam and the ADam will go for their required hull inspection.  The Amsterdam left Gibraltar today after refueling and will arrive straight to the shipyard on the 15th.  So sad to see these ships go. 

Rotterdam_Shipyardds.png

Thank you for showing this map..

4 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

Rotterdam_Shipyardds.png

They will either go to Damen Verolme or Damen shiprepair in  Schiedam. This is the former Wilton-Fijenoord shipyard where many HAL ships have drydocked in the past . At this yard the  ss Nieuw Amsterdam (2) had her boilers replaced , late 60’s.

• Like 1