MSC GRANDIOSA - 8/16/2020 - Anyone Live?

Formula280SS

3 minutes ago, Hallcross said:

I realise it's a different world now but not for me like this, looking forward more to our week in Derbyshire UK roaming the hills and mountains 🙂

I agree, that for you, that would be appropriate.  Also, it is worth equally noting and accepting that hundreds of millions of other people may have other things they look forward to.  Cruising is, currently, 'voluntary and as a one or two week activity choice, is certainly not mutually exclusive of loving the country-side, sea-side, city visits, parks, etc.  A booking of a cruise, for example, for a week, does not require such person(s) from doing so many other activities for the remaining 51 weeks in the year.

• Like 2

Just saw this posted on FB.  Not sure what the original source is from

##### BREAKING NEWS #####

A group of passengers aboard the MSC Grandiosa has been kicked off the ship for violating new protocols put in place regarding shore excursions.

Why were the guests removed from #MSCGrandiosa?

“In line with our health and safety protocol, developed to ensure health and wellbeing of our guests, crew and communities we visit, we had to deny boarding to a family who broke from their shore excursion yesterday while visiting Naples, Italy,” as per #MSCCruises.

“By departing from the organized shore excursion, this family broke from the safe ‘social bubble’ that MSC Cruises created for them to safely enjoy their visit ashore, and therefore could not be permitted to reboard the ship.”

In announcing the new protocols which would be put in place on board, MSC Cruises made it clear that in order to disembark in any port visited by the ship, guests would need to be on a line-sanctioned shore excursion.

“These organized shore excursions allow MSC Cruises to uphold the same high standard of health and safety as on board,” according MSC.

“For instance, ensuring that transfers are properly sanitized and that there is adequate space for social distancing. Tour guides and drivers also undergo health screenings and wear appropriate personal protective equipment.”

The rule regarding shore excursions was only one of the updated health protocols MSC Cruises put in place.

Despite this violation of the rules, the ship was able to continue her journey, arriving in Palermo, Italy on Wednesday morning. This was the third stop on her seven-night cruise that is sailing roundtrip from Genoa, Italy.

Like you see MSC takes your health and that of her crew very serious.

Please comply with the new rules and you will have a great cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Formula280SS said:

I agree, that for you, that would be appropriate.  Also, it is worth equally noting and accepting that hundreds of millions of other people may have other things they look forward to.  Cruising is, currently, 'voluntary and as a one or two week activity choice, is certainly not mutually exclusive of loving the country-side, sea-side, city visits, parks, etc.  A booking of a cruise, for example, for a week, does not require such person(s) from doing so many other activities for the remaining 51 weeks in the year.

My own personal opinion of what suits us, this was to be a big cruise for us on the 30th August with MSC for our 50th wedding anniversary.
We have opted for a refund, we also had 4 nights in Lake Garda prior to boarding in Venice booked.
I hope it works out for all cruisers.

2 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

I agree. Also, I hope @Hallcross  will appreciate that this is likely only a preliminary measure designed to ensure passenger safety AND limit the cruise line's liability. I highly doubt we'll see the proverbial apron strings for all time. And I would count myself as one who would GLADLY be required to do cruise ship excursions if that meant the cruise would happen at all. We are planning to do a land-based vacation soon and we plan to follow ALL of the resort's guidelines without fail.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, SingBill said:

Just saw this posted on FB.  Not sure what the original source is from

##### BREAKING NEWS #####

A group of passengers aboard the MSC Grandiosa has been kicked off the ship for violating new protocols put in place regarding shore excursions.

Why were the guests removed from #MSCGrandiosa?

“In line with our health and safety protocol, developed to ensure health and wellbeing of our guests, crew and communities we visit, we had to deny boarding to a family who broke from their shore excursion yesterday while visiting Naples, Italy,” as per #MSCCruises.

“By departing from the organized shore excursion, this family broke from the safe ‘social bubble’ that MSC Cruises created for them to safely enjoy their visit ashore, and therefore could not be permitted to reboard the ship.”

In announcing the new protocols which would be put in place on board, MSC Cruises made it clear that in order to disembark in any port visited by the ship, guests would need to be on a line-sanctioned shore excursion.

“These organized shore excursions allow MSC Cruises to uphold the same high standard of health and safety as on board,” according MSC.

“For instance, ensuring that transfers are properly sanitized and that there is adequate space for social distancing. Tour guides and drivers also undergo health screenings and wear appropriate personal protective equipment.”

The rule regarding shore excursions was only one of the updated health protocols MSC Cruises put in place.

Despite this violation of the rules, the ship was able to continue her journey, arriving in Palermo, Italy on Wednesday morning. This was the third stop on her seven-night cruise that is sailing roundtrip from Genoa, Italy.

Like you see MSC takes your health and that of her crew very serious.

Please comply with the new rules and you will have a great cruise.

I believe it was from the site Cruiseradio.

3 hours ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Hi all. We've been following this. A bit about passengers being denied boarding who went off on their own for a shore excursion, as well as those who had positive antigen tests (and were also held back for further testing): https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5540/

Only right.  Nobody has the right to put the whole thing in jeopardy by their own selfish actions in my opinion, we all want cruising to get going again and these people put that at risk.

2 hours ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Updated: the PCR tests came back negative for the guests in Naples. While they were offered the option to join the ship in Palermo, they decided to move their cruise to the following week. 

Interesting on the PCR tests that they are saying they sometimes pick up old virus fragments from people that previously had the virus, but don't have live virus anymore.  This has been said to be a potential reason for those "reinfections".  If that's true it would make the PCR test a pain if you had the virus a few months earlier!  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

We have another story from this sailing to post. We’ve been in touch with two passengers on this sailing and were able to get permission to use their photos. Enjoy! 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=5541&cache=reset

Again, thanks so much for this really pertinent and timely information.  Fingers crossed.  🤞

Divina crew welcoming Grandiosa in Civitavecchia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGYcjflT1Ho

Newscast from Palermo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQmxx_eVQgI

Interview of passenger on Grandiosa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DwDiAAy-40

Using the Closed Caption option then using the settings with auto translated subtitles is very helpful for those not fluent in Italian.

34 minutes ago, Até said:

Divina crew welcoming Grandiosa in Civitavecchia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGYcjflT1Ho

Newscast from Palermo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQmxx_eVQgI

Interview of passenger on Grandiosa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DwDiAAy-40

Using the Closed Caption option then using the settings with auto translated subtitles is very helpful for those not fluent in Italian.

27 minutes ago, Até said:

Thanks so much.  Wife and I just watched all of them (did the CC and auto-translate to English).  Very informative.  And, exciting.  Maybe a peak at the world going forward; and yes, clearly there is a long way to go.  But baby steps are baby steps; precious and memorable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

How absolutely dreadful.

This is not a relaxing, enjoyable holiday.

Oh dear... Dont go then

Good to see the first steps being taken in Germany and Italy... This virus is not going away even with a vaccine..  Its time to get back to enjoying ourselves instead of living in a fear dome.. Even when it goes wrong its still a great first step, a lot was learnt from Hurtigrutens mistakes.

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, ighten said:

Oh dear... Dont go then

Good to see the first steps being taken in Germany and Italy... This virus is not going away even with a vaccine..  Its time to get back to enjoying ourselves instead of living in a fear dome.. Even when it goes wrong its still a great first step, a lot was learnt from Hurtigrutens mistakes.

Just because someone doesn’t want to go on a cruise ship at this time doesn’t mean they are ‘living in fear’ 

• Like 1

By the way, Costa has announced the itineraries for the first cruises.

Deliziosa starts on September 6th from Trieste to Bari, Brindisi, Corigliano-Rossano, Siracusa and Catania.

Diadema starts on September 19th from Genoa to CIvitavecchia, Naples, Palermo, Cagliari and La Spezia.

I especially like the first one, it's something new, something different than the invariable itineraries Msc and Costa have had for years. I hope they will introduce this itinerary permanently in the future. 
It is a shame that these cruises are only for Italians.

5 hours ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

How absolutely dreadful.

This is not a relaxing, enjoyable holiday.

I completely agree 51+: I am surprised (not to say flabbergasted) that 95% here is positive about going back cruising. Most of us are 60 +, so we are in a risk group. For sure, each has the right to decide themselves. But if problems (infections) will occur and the complete ship will have to go in quarantine....the whole community will pay for that.  And don't compare with ferries or airplaines: you are on this ship for one week! We cancelled all our next cruises: Med in October, Caribbean in January and Sydney to Vancouver next April. We do understand the problems of the cruise companies (with fallen stocks in the Dow Jones) but public health prevails. It is in the interest of the cruise companies that there are no outbrakes of Covid 19. If you like it or not that will take time, this is reality. 

Better safe than dead! 

• Like 1

On this Cruise, MSC Grandiosa, a family was thrown out of the ship, for abandoning their paid MSC ship tour.

What a dumb family!
they actually paid a huge amount of money for each and every family member to do the expensive MSC tour, and then they just left it and ran away to do their own thing!
how stupid of them

25 minutes ago, drsel said:

On this Cruise, MSC Grandiosa, a family was thrown out of the ship, for abandoning their paid MSC ship tour.

That’s interesting. Probably Msc was afraid that the family might bring the virus on board because in such a case the cruise line does not know where they went and with whom they were in contact. The point of those organized excursions is that Msc wants to have control over the passengers when ashore.

3 minutes ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

That’s interesting. Probably Msc was afraid that the family might bring the virus on board because in such a case the cruise line does not know where they went and with whom they were in contact. The point of those organized excursions is that Msc wants to have control over the passengers when ashore.

That's exactly what MSC said. The famil broke the "social bubble."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drsel said:

What a dumb family!
they actually paid a huge amount of money for each and every family member to do the expensive MSC tour, and then they just left it and ran away to do their own thing!
how stupid of them

Just a point the  excursions on these cruises are fairly cheap I saw mentioned 100 euros for 3 plus some free ones are included in price.

stilll idiotic and I would loved to have heard the conversation when they were told they were not coming back in board!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1