Solstice and Seattle

doneall50

Are you thinking of this year to try and save the season? If so, it's a no-go as the Canadian government has banned all cruise ships until October 31, at which time, obviously, Alaska is done anyway. If you are wondering for next year, it's still a guessing game at this point.

3 hours ago, doneall50 said:

Has Celebrity given any thought to embarking Solstice out of Vancouver on the Alaska run, instead of Seattle?

Why would they do that? How would you get on the ship when the borders are closed to Americans on nonessential travel? And the border is likely to remain closed until the US  gets control of its COVID  cases.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mom says said:

Why would they do that? How would you get on the ship when the borders are closed to Americans on nonessential travel? And the border is likely to remain closed until the US  gets control of its COVID  cases.

Perhaps the OP was thinking about future seasons.  Given recent demonstrations and violence, I haven't seen anything that makes me want to go to Seattle.  Perhaps Vancouver would be a better choice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Perhaps the OP was thinking about future seasons.  Given recent demonstrations and violence, I haven't seen anything that makes me want to go to Seattle.  Perhaps Vancouver would be a better choice. 

Yes, I posted about a month ago about this and it got pulled pretty quick. We went there five years ago and the homeless and beggar problem was bad then, supposedly worse now and yesterday the council voted to start defunding the Police.  I wouldn't go anywhere near the place. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Exactly what I meant without trying to be “political”, although to me it’s a safety issue. Should Seattle lose police, would Celebrity want 2000 guests embarking there? Thanks for clarifying. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

So you are assuming a few things, it seems to me.

That these demonstrations, etc are going to be an enduring problem.

That they are sufficient in size and scope to pose a danger to the general public.

That they will be of sufficient duration that they continue past the end of all of the current border closures and cruise ship bans.

1 hour ago, mom says said:

So you are assuming a few things, it seems to me.

That these demonstrations, etc are going to be an enduring problem.

That they are sufficient in size and scope to pose a danger to the general public.

That they will be of sufficient duration that they continue past the end of all of the current border closures and cruise ship bans.

I don't think these demonstrations are linked to cruise ships or border closures.  Moves to reduce Police funding could harm many people. The Police Chief just resigned.  Perhaps Celebrity should find a place without these problems.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, George C said:

Would love to get Solstice or any celebrity cruise ship in Galveston. I currently do not want to fly but police issues wouldn’t stop me from going to Seattle, many cities seem to be having issues.

I'm not worried about the Police, it's the criminals that concern me.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I don't think these demonstrations are linked to cruise ships or border closures.  Moves to reduce Police funding could harm many people. The Police Chief just resigned.  Perhaps Celebrity should find a place without these problems.

@mom says didn't say that the demonstrations are linked to cruise ships or border closures. She's simply saying that a move to Vancouver to avoid the unrest in Seattle would be unnecessary if the demonstrations have run their course before the border closure and cruise ship bans end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Agree...The reduced police presence and 911 emergency response, increased begging and overall  unrest make it less attractive nowadays.

We enjoyed sailing from there years ago,  despite  the port being distant from the  main airport, rush hour issues, and being very hilly for walking.  At the time we enjoyed the ambiance,  quaint neighborhoods, food and parks.  The locals were very friendly,....even the wierdos walking their  leashed pet squirrels!

32 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

@mom says didn't say that the demonstrations are linked to cruise ships or border closures. She's simply saying that a move to Vancouver to avoid the unrest in Seattle would be unnecessary if the demonstrations have run their course before the border closure and cruise ship bans end.

I am sure Vancouver is a nice city but thought there airport was a disaster almost missed my flight returning from a cruise . If I have a choice I will go to Seattle one less problem for USA residents since we can avoid going thru your customs. 

2 minutes ago, George C said:

I am sure Vancouver is a nice city but thought there airport was a disaster almost missed my flight returning from a cruise . If I have a choice I will go to Seattle one less problem for USA residents since we can avoid going thru your customs. 

Earlier this year, YVR was named North America's best airport for the 11th year in a row. It was also named 13th best airport in the world overall, as well as the very best in the world for airports serving 20-30 million passengers annually.  That's a pretty impressive track record. https://www.worldairportawards.com

Personally, I've flown in and out of YVR on numerous occasions for both business and pleasure, the latter including but not restricted to cruises, and I've never experienced any issues. It would appear that your experience was definitely an exception to the rule.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George C said:

Hmm there is a small problem here with what you are saying.

You say almost missed my flight returning from a cruise because of your customs.
Well when you are at the airport and go to clear Customs you are clearing US Customs to go back to the USA. So if you have a beef then it is with YOUR US Customs and and not our Canada Customs.
The YVR airport authority has nothing to do with controlling what US Customs does.

• Like 4

I'm looking forward to see what this change will bring for Seattle. I'm hoping for the good of our community. I live on what is called the Eastside of Seattle. I try and not walk the streets of Seattle between 10pm and 6am. I'm fine if people want to stay away from Seattle. The other question is does Vancouver want another cruise ship in their port?

14 minutes ago, Seacruise said:

You say almost missed my flight returning from a cruise because of your customs.
Well when you are at the airport and go to clear Customs you are clearing US Customs to go back to the USA. So if you have a beef then it is with YOUR US Customs and and not our Canada Customs.
The YVR airport authority has nothing to do with controlling what US Customs does.

Airlines were totally understaffed that day also several cruise ships arrived same day , just saying never in hundreds of flights domestic and foreign have I came so close to missing our plane. Luggage arrived the following day.

14 minutes ago, Seacruise said:

I agree that US customs should be done on US soil. Nothing against or to do with Canada.

I suspect Vancouver would gladly welcome ships once this pandemic is over. As far as BC is concerned, we are currently in phase 3 of reopening. It is in phase 4 that 'international tourism' will be welcomed back to BC. And phase 4 requires at least one of wide vaccination, community immunity or broad successful treatments. I imagine this could be subject to change, but lets hope we have the vaccine or treatment soon! 

We have cleared US customs in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver many times when we have traveled to the US. It certainly makes the departure process a bit fraught as it is another line to endure, on top of luggage drop off and security, and you never know how long it will take.

Sailing out of Seattle is fine by us.  However,  unless things change fast cities like Seattle, Portland, New York and Chicago are off our list for any tourist stops.  Would go directly from airport to cruise port so no more getting there early to spend time exploring the city.  It's really a shame.

34 minutes ago, George C said:

Airlines were totally understaffed that day also several cruise ships arrived same day , just saying never in hundreds of flights domestic and foreign have I came so close to missing our plane. Luggage arrived the following day.

To reiterate travlr21's thoughts...I have had to clear US customs in the the Canadian airports of Calgary, Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver as well as Frankfurt, Heathrow and Paris if I am routed through the US or  before boarding a US bound flight.  bigbenboys, the reason why this was implemented was because of September 11, 2001.

USA decided to pre- screen flights heading to American Soil!  I think this was a good decision.

Edited by Dr. Pam
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Qcruise said:

Sailing out of Seattle is fine by us.  However,  unless things change fast cities like Seattle, Portland, New York and Chicago are off our list for any tourist stops.  Would go directly from airport to cruise port so no more getting there early to spend time exploring the city.  It's really a shame.

Yes, it's a shame you think this way.  But it's your choice.  Seattle will do just fine without you.

• Like 4