When are you booked to cruise? Do you think it will happen?

suec12

2 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I cancelled my December cruise (outside of final payment) the day before HAL cancelled it. It has been almost 30 days and I have not received my deposit refund.  I think maybe you were just lucky.

Sometimes I think if you cancel Almost in tandem with the cruise line cancelling your booking gets batched in with the involuntary cancels. I would reach out to HAL and ensure that the refund has been requested in their system.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 1:23 PM, KirkNC said:

My focus is shifting from will it go to what will the experience be like......

Same here.  I have a May 2021 cruise booked.  Come final payment date in February, I'll be looking close at on-board policies, etc to decide if the cruise is worth it.  Right now, I'm not keen on having to wear masks every time I'm out of the room, but if they're sailing at half capacity, I might think it's worth it.  Just hypotheticals.  We shall see.  

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Same here.  I have a May 2021 cruise booked.  Come final payment date in February, I'll be looking close at on-board policies, etc to decide if the cruise is worth it.  Right now, I'm not keen on having to wear masks every time I'm out of the room, but if they're sailing at half capacity, I might think it's worth it.  Just hypotheticals.  We shall see.  

Ditto. I have April 2021 cruise booked.  I will cancel before final payment in January if masks are required. If I can’t breathe the ocean air I don’t want to cruise badly enough I guess.  Laurie

• Like 1

Since Europe is sailing now and flights are going to Europe I think April is a pretty safe bet for Europe.  I haven't kept up with Asia.  The US is being stalled by the elections so our visibility will be clearer in mid-November.  My canceled cruise was in South America and I don't think I will be going to South America until a good vaccine has been administered worldwide.  

• Like 1

Since Europe is sailing now and flights are going to Europe I think April is a pretty safe bet for Europe.  I haven't kept up with Asia.  The US is being stalled by the elections so our visibility will be clearer in mid-November.  My canceled cruise was in South America and I don't think I will be going to South America until a good vaccine has been administered worldwide.  

Flights may be going to Europe but Americans still can’t be on them. Sailings in Europe are for EU citizens. I wouldn’t be so hopeful for anyone else in the spring. I’m planning for summer but only because it was already booked pre-pandemic. I’m not sure that they will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

We will be booking a cruise next year, somewhere in January-February. I expect everything to be fine by next summer. We really dont want to get into situation where we will have to demand refunds and stuff. I want to feel comfortable getting ready for a cruise. I mean it can really be very frustrating when you book a year ahead and still have doubts whether you will make it or not.. 

Next cruise up is Zuiderdam March 2021. Even when all this started never in my wildest dreams did I think there would be a possibility this cruise wouldn't take place. Now, I'm not so sure. And if it does under what conditions?  Final payment date is November 7th. Wow that's fast approaching.  As many have said...I'll reevaluate then.

18 minutes ago, denatravels said:

Flights may be going to Europe but Americans still can’t be on them. Sailings in Europe are for EU citizens. I wouldn’t be so hopeful for anyone else in the spring. I’m planning for summer but only because it was already booked pre-pandemic. I’m not sure that they will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My reasoning is it took less than 6 months for Europe to start up and it is more than 6 months to April.    There is new research daily that is promising that seem to dismiss some earlier fears about transmission and we now have an educated public.  Witness Japan, Taiwan and much of Europe never closed schools, that is all education and following protocols 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, sambamama said:

I was booked for April 2021, but HAL sold the Maasdam. So I booked the same cruise a year later (the Mexican Rivera) on the Volendam, and that got cancelled two days ago. So I am 0 for 3 now. 

Mrs Banjo and I canceled the last cruise we had booked For Jan 2021 on September 1.  So that makes 3 trips canceled in 2020.  We have not booked anything else at this point and will wait until cruising resumes in a somewhat normal manner before booking anything new.   So, for the first time in 30 years we have no cruise plans..........  it really is a bummer.

Edited by crusinbanjo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Mrs Banjo and I canceled the last cruise we had booked For Jan 2021 on September 1.  So that makes 3 trips canceled in 2020.  We have not booked anything else at this point and will wait until cruising resumes in a somewhat normal manner before booking anything new.   So, for the first time in 30 years we have no cruise plans..........  it really is a bummer.

I agree with you. While I understand the positive emotion shared here of having 2021  future cruises booked,  I would be more worried about what if it does go? Safety protocols, restricted passenger areas, dining, airplane restrictions, changed itineraries...... why set yourself up for all this uncertainty?  In our exuberance to travel we did schedule a Cancun all inclusive in early 2021 which I put at 50/50.

For us the advantages over a cruise were a short non stop flight (can stand three hours on a plane with mask), a large resort property where social distancing could be accomplished easily, and the ability to simply cancel days before without getting hung up with all types of restrictions and tied up funds.

As a sidebar, while I know many are using cancelled cruise credits for rebooking. I am surprised that the lines (or all -inclusives for that matter) really have not stepped up dramatically with their discounting. I might be 'tempted' to book a later2022 cruise

if I was getting a fantastic 'deal' but the numbers of several cruises I looked at really were not that enticing. JMHO  

We were optimistic about our late April sailing until I started to think about the timeline.  For us, we would not want to sail until a vaccine is available and we have taken it.

First unknown date - when will a vaccine be approved (hopefully by the end of the year)

2nd unknown date - when would we get our first shot (we have no underlying conditions and don't work in public safety)

2A - a 2nd shot has to be administered after about a month

Then does it take a couple of weeks to be fully effective like the flu shot?  I don't know.

We actually volunteered for the trials so we're not adverse to a little risk when it comes to the vaccine but even still we would hardly be at the top of the list and what about crews?  I think those of you who guessed fall 2021 might be correct for the start up of 'normal' cruising.

• Like 1

That's assuming you get your FCC. I am now owed $8,250 from 3 cruises and I haven't gotten a dime. HAL may claim I am not entitled to all of it as I was not paid in full on these cruises as they are so far behind in paying FCC, but that is their problem-not mine. I booked them in a timely manner thru my TA. My TA cruise would sail October 17-that is 3 weeks from now, and it was cancelled about 5 months ago. 

Well - I recently made some changes and cancelled my March 2021 Caribbean sailing on the Nieuw Statendam and the my March 2022 sailing on Volendam to rebook for a b2b on Nieuw Statendam in the Meditrranean in October 2021.  I feel about 90% that it will sail and about 75% sure there will be port changes.  The bigger question is will the EU countries be admitting US citizens (without quarantine) by then or not.  I think several cruise lines are modifying their European deployments for next year to be more appealing to EU/UK based clients in anticipation that US citizens may not be permitted to travel.

• Like 1

Our next booked cruise is a mid-May 2021 Adriatic/Holy Land collector. I subjectively give this about a 25% shot at taking place and about a 10% chance at taking place without modifications to the itinerary. There are 7 countries involved, plus the US, and I have serious doubts as to whether they will all be fully open after the winter and allow US citizens to travel and return without quarantine. I'm dubious about the likelihood of full/safe/effective vaccine distribution and administration by final payment date. Also, the lines seem to be focusing on shorter cruises--more like routes rather than the unique destinations we would get with HAL--so coordinating and executing a cruise like this one will be tough.

The cruise after that is the 11/2021 Australia Circumnavigation.  I have high confidence for that one and our booked cruises to follow in 1H 2022, provided the borders are open without quarantine.

5 hours ago, Mandalay1903 said:

Our next booked cruise is a mid-May 2021 Adriatic/Holy Land collector. I subjectively give this about a 25% shot at taking place and about a 10% chance at taking place without modifications to the itinerary. There are 7 countries involved, plus the US, and I have serious doubts as to whether they will all be fully open after the winter and allow US citizens to travel and return without quarantine. I'm dubious about the likelihood of full/safe/effective vaccine distribution and administration by final payment date. Also, the lines seem to be focusing on shorter cruises--more like routes rather than the unique destinations we would get with HAL--so coordinating and executing a cruise like this one will be tough.

The cruise after that is the 11/2021 Australia Circumnavigation.  I have high confidence for that one and our booked cruises to follow in 1H 2022, provided the borders are open without quarantine.

We’ve booked this too but really feel doubtful.  We were doing it in conjunction with the Maiden voyage of the Ryndam now Rotterdam, but that is delayed so no longer works.

June 2021 - I'd say there's less than a 10 percent chance we board that ship. I won't set foot on a ship without a vaccine that's proven to work.  Another factor to consider is if we are limited to cruise-only excursions. If I can't even wander around port on my own, no thank you. 

We do not expect to book anything before 2022.  We view our Europe land plans for next fall as very much  50/50.  Winter 2022 travel to SE Asia  will probably be solid.   After that we will start shopping late booking offers depending of course on the on board ship environment.  DW wants to cruise again but is prepared to wait.

Having said that, if the situation turns the corner earlier we will be happy to jump on a good last minute offer that is going our way.

Edited by iancal

Booked Sept. 2021 to Mediterranean on the Westerdam.  A lot of different ports and countries so it will be interesting to see in there are itinerary changes.  I imagine there will be even if the sailing happens.  We won't even look at flights until next year even though we will hopefully be able to use miles.  Also have a March 2022 Inca and Panama from San Antonia, Chile to Fort Lauderdale booked.  That one I am more optimistic about it sailing.  But time will tell.  Things seem to  be changing day by day concerning the vaccine information and covid outbreaks.  I am sure we will be able to cruise again someday just not sure what the protocols will be.  

• Like 1