The Daily for Tuesday Aug 25, 2020

richwmn

The Gulf Bridge just came into Marine Traffic range again.  She's now just west of Tampa.  ETA in Miami 0600 on August 27.  There is a webcam but it rarely covers cargo ships.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 3

Good afternoon, hope all are having their best day. Thank you for the Daily, and may we please extend our wishes for peace for Barbara and her husband.

We had the great fortune to visit Denali NP four years ago for the Tundra Wilderness Tour on the 100th anniversary of the founding of the service. The nice ranger probably heard birthday wishes better sung on other buses, but surely none more enthusiastic. 🤔

If you please, a couple of memories of a glorious fall day.

100_2340.thumb.JPG.689da26caab14d445015f00a949ca6e8.JPGIMG_20160825_132437.thumb.jpg.e5de5262d47e42a0a9612f2c554b25c1.jpgIMG_20160825_155123.thumb.jpg.1b91618af84a4af8d4b92983842b846e.jpg

We were not able to see Denali that day, but later the view from the McKinley Explorer more than made up...

100_2464b.thumb.jpg.93d87b7362533d0fadccc4e1704c7ba2.jpg

Thank you to all who have given, and continue to give us these incredible places to visit.

Lori & George

• Like 8

I've noticed that the Gulf Bridge is sort of moving slowly around in a northwesterly direction, just hanging out trying to stay out of the way of the turmoil in the Gulf.  She must be ahead of schedule and in no hurry to make her way to Miami.  Her speed is less than 2 knots at least currently.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cat shepard said:

but it has some forest floor notes.

I've never had a wine that I recall with forest floor notes, but I have tasted some where I wanted to drag my tongue across the floor to get rid of the taste.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

26 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I've never had a wine that I recall with forest floor notes, but I have tasted some where I wanted to drag my tongue across the floor to get rid of the taste.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thank you Gerry!🍷

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Looking forward to your photos du jour, Debbie!

Here you go!  Today's photos are from the Ocean Trail in Acadia National Park.  This is one of our favorite trails to hike in the park.   

BH 2.JPG

BH 3.JPG

BH 4.JPG

BH 7.JPG

BH 8.JPG

BH 9.JPG

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, dfish said:

Here you go!  Today's photos are from the Ocean Trail in Acadia National Park.  This is one of our favorite trails to hike in the park.   

BH 2.JPG

BH 3.JPG

BH 4.JPG

BH 7.JPG

BH 8.JPG

BH 9.JPG

I spent my formative years in New England, so these pics are super special! Thank you. 

• Like 3

Checking in!

Thanks Rich. I'd hate to wait for once a year to Kiss and Make Up! 😉 I forgot to buy bananas, so I'll just have the ice cream today, and, hopefully, I'm touching hearts every day.

LOL at the quote. The meal sounds good, but it was roast chicken and rice today.

10 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

ohhh, I love banana splits!  Sometimes while cruising I order one for dessert after a light meal.  I remember going to Dairy Queen during the last month of my first pregnancy to get banana splits while trying to gain a little weight.  I only gained 20 pounds that pregnancy.  Baby still weighed 7 pounds 11 ounces though!

My last pregnancy (of 5), was the one where I didn't really gain weight....I had ooodles to work with..... and DD was my largest at 9.5 lbs.

9 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Just got a flash flood warning for our county and looked outside at the rain gauge.  It now says 3 inches of rain, adding that extra inch in a very short time.  Glad my house is up high on a bluff/hill.  The golf course behind me is going to be soggy for a while, I'd say.

9 hours ago, travelingbums said:

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST. REALLY ENJOY THEM. We are awaiting outcome of Hurricane.

Please, both of you, stay safe.

8 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Good morning Roy!! Cup of coffee in hand and my first sunrise!! Very surreal! I would love to paint this! Thanks for your contributions with our prayer lists and celebrations!! Was off the grid yesterday with so much going on and now am enjoying the catch up!

Denise😊

It would make a beautiful painting!

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Not crazy about banana splits but adore Peanut Buster Parfaits ....of course those things are lethal so having one is a huge treat!  @StLouisCruisers I too gained only 20 pounds with my first pregnancy but back then doctors were urging low weight gain.  Go figure.  Our son was 9 pounds 6 oz anyway, and I ate whatever I wanted.  Oh to be that young again!

Peanut Buster Parfaits are my favourite! I usually have one to celebrate the beginning of spring, and then one in the summer.

7 hours ago, happywandering said:

Hello and best to all from another lurker!

6 hours ago, Gsel said:

Time for me to thank Rich and all who post every day. Have been lurking since the beginning, but just now have the time to post.  We have been cruising since 1973 but will not return. DH is now in the late stages of Alzheimer's and it would be dangerous for us to travel virus or no virus.  He loved it, and we did manage two last year, Oosterdam and Volendam, but it was obvious he could no longer cope. Thanks to all of you, the pictures keep the memories alive for both of us daily! 

Happy cruising and stay safe!

Barbara

Welcome to both of you. Thanks for posting! To Barbara: know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. It is hard to watch as a loved one is so ill, and you have my admiration.

6 hours ago, highscar said:

It’s sure been hot. How do I post a photo   Love this daily.   

I know that kazu gave you one way to do so, but I thought I'd share mine. I literally do a copy/paste. Sometimes it works, sometimes I revert to the drag and drop method (depends on what I am using at the time-laptop or iPad)

1 hour ago, VintageGeo said:

Good afternoon, hope all are having their best day. Thank you for the Daily, and may we please extend our wishes for peace for Barbara and her husband.

We had the great fortune to visit Denali NP four years ago for the Tundra Wilderness Tour on the 100th anniversary of the founding of the service. The nice ranger probably heard birthday wishes better sung on other buses, but surely none more enthusiastic. 🤔

If you please, a couple of memories of a glorious fall day.

100_2340.thumb.JPG.689da26caab14d445015f00a949ca6e8.JPGIMG_20160825_132437.thumb.jpg.e5de5262d47e42a0a9612f2c554b25c1.jpgIMG_20160825_155123.thumb.jpg.1b91618af84a4af8d4b92983842b846e.jpg

We were not able to see Denali that day, but later the view from the McKinley Explorer more than made up...

100_2464b.thumb.jpg.93d87b7362533d0fadccc4e1704c7ba2.jpg

Thank you to all who have given, and continue to give us these incredible places to visit.

Lori & George

Thanks for sharing!

What a perfect summer day today was! Windows open, I enjoyed FB messaging with my DD and DGD. Lots of angst with the two daughters as they get ready to return to teaching. I reassure them that they will manage as I know that they will deal with problems as they occur. So hard for parents and educators right now.

Take care everyone. Blessings to all. Be well. Stay safe. Be kind.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Rich, thank you for The Daily and thanks to Roy for the care and celebration lists! 

For National Park day I’ll share a few pictures from our trip to Mt Rainier National Park. It’s only a few hours from us so we’ve been lucky enough to to visit there and Mt St Helens on a few occasions. Can’t wait to go back. 

Dinner tonight is chicken strips. Super easy after a long day at work.  

Hope everyone has a great evening!

7B4C2DE5-2725-4298-B36E-DA6EC937C4A3.jpeg

3E43CC14-A81D-4F32-9CAD-03A9A56BF2CA.jpeg

A2EA133D-6793-46DC-8B95-106F125A6194.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Andi Land said:

Rich, thank you for The Daily and thanks to Roy for the care and celebration lists! 

For National Park day I’ll share a few pictures from our trip to Mt Rainier National Park. It’s only a few hours from us so we’ve been lucky enough to to visit there and Mt St Helens on a few occasions. Can’t wait to go back. 

So beautiful Andi Land!! Thank you for sharing 👍

Denise😊

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

ROFL! Can't wait to meet you next year!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Andi Land said:

I have never visited this park. Wonderful pictures!

• Like 2

Rich,

Thanks for the daily.

Lots of lovely photos today, thanks to everyone for sharing.

Sunny day but very cold wind.

Seasick Sailor, thank you for including us last evening.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Some pics of Volendam's bridge with the chief officer (the term used prior to the current staff captain title) going over the elec charts in some wild waters off beautiful New Zealand while heading from Picton (where I had the pleasure of meeting up with poster Erewhon and the Mrs. - Kia ora) to Tauranga. The panel in the foreground is the starboard bridge wing panel from where the ship can be "parked" alongside. Carefully looked after plants can usually be found on the bridge, as well as mascots 😉  Every morning at 10:30, the bridge team (all nautical dept officers) gets together on the bridge for "coffee time," usually followed by a "BRM" - Bridge Resources Management" meeting to discuss the particulars of the next port of call

330410_10150478449940729_917716136_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=BD41ZlErof4AX-ywlw0&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=43ec95bc4aaaf3efbfca979e5d5d5b7d&oe=5F6B107E

330410_10150478449930729_2138944355_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=gufOAjItlHwAX-FjdGQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=d2ecd24db81d1f6f6ba45f2c36fa855f&oe=5F69A23C

323746_10150478345420729_243445594_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=g8pBAIHpZfIAX_6r-EZ&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=7032d7b5c23b9599692701b1b24899ff&oe=5F6AAFE1

323746_10150478345410729_1911277734_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=9uNQsROaRYQAX_Z0vaN&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=c70fb6d1eeac2b136f68dc2d3d04fd3e&oe=5F6B5A1A

330410_10150478449950729_821192973_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=SQAVnqvkwKMAX9sgD9Z&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=fc55d187044434b437d1e3a684ebcbfe&oe=5F695C18

John,

We enjoyed meeting you, and appreciated being shown  around the Amsterdam in Picton.

Volendam is our favourite ship,  in this photo of her can see "our" balcony  ............ over 100 days in that Neptune Suite.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Rich,

Thanks for the daily.

Lots of lovely photos today, thanks to everyone for sharing.

Sunny day but very cold wind.

Seasick Sailor, thank you for including us last evening.

Erewhon we are toasting you right now in San Diego! I was not on the board last night till late! Have a great day!!

🌺A toast to health and friendship to you my friend!!🥂🍾

Denise😊

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Erewhon we are toasting you right now in San Diego! I was not on the board last night till late! Have a great day!!

🌺A toast to health and friendship to you my friend!!🥂🍾

Denise😊

Thanks Denise, 

A similar toast from us  to you this evening.

This is a very friendly thread, hope we we can all return to cruising in the not too distant future.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks Denise, 

A similar toast from us  to you this evening.

This is a very friendly thread, hope we we can all return to cruising in the not too distant future.

I read that The Volendam was your favorite!

After 4 cancellations we are on her 1/22! 
we are in room 7006! Just want this one to be a go! Planning a trip 2023 to New Zealand again! Hope we can meet !!!!!

Have a good day ! Hot here and cold in your town! Right now Inwould like your weather LOL!

Denise😊

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I think I'm going to stop apologizing for my tardiness; having these two little ones in the house makes a morning routine go right out the window, and I'm not complaining one bit!

That's exactly my problem!  The 13 yr old DGD at our house Monday - Friday ALL DAY for remote school is a chore.  And she eats three times the normal person.  I'm always cutting up fruit, making breakfast, lunch and double breakfast, lunch, making snacks.  Between taking care of my house,shopping for my mother and the DGD I feel like I'm working more than I ever did when I was actually working. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the daily Rich.  Too much happening today to post any earlier.  I even replanted 2 basil plants, the heat has killed most of my herbs except for the oregano.  Welcome to the new posters and thank you to everyone posting photos. 

Have a great evening/night everyone!

• Like 4

Told myself that it has been too long since I last read all the great posts here.  As always very positive and uplifting. Great pictures...especially of the National Parks.  Next one on our list is the Rocky Mountain NP when we go to Colorado in October.   I am ready for a road trip in our new travel trailer which we receive middle of next month.  It will be an adventure I am sure!!  I was dragging my feet about getting a trailer.  DH has been talking about it for months and I finally gave in.  So this will be our "cruising" for a while.  The grandkids are excited about it!  Can't wait for us to take them camping in it!!   It will be an adventure for sure.

Stay well and safe everyone.  

• Like 4

19 hours ago, richwmn said:

I would also like to thank everyone who adds to this thread each day. I appreciate those who over the last few days have made their first post after lurking for a while. This is a community effort and I welcome all comments. The responses each day are what keeps the thread going, and while I may not post much past starting the thread, I do read each post and enjoy them.

Rich

I have been lurking for months now, and your Daily and the additions of the regular Dailyites makes my day. Since getting home from the abrupt end of the GWV, this has been my sanity saver, a link to voyages past and hope for voyages yet to come.

Thank you, Rich, for this daily lifeline!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

That's exactly my problem!  The 13 yr old DGD at our house Monday - Friday ALL DAY for remote school is a chore.  And she eats three times the normal person.  I'm always cutting up fruit, making breakfast, lunch and double breakfast, lunch, making snacks.  Between taking care of my house,shopping for my mother and the DGD I feel like I'm working more than I ever did when I was actually working. 

Bless you Sharon! Find some time for YOU!

• Like 2