Specialty Groups on Princess Cruises - NOT Charters

voljeep

While I wish all cruise lines would publish group bookings, its not going to happen. Period. For the reason everyone has stated: "If I knew this group would be on the ship, I wouldn't have booked."

On my first Princess cruise (my honeymoon) I found out that there was a singles cruise booked. I found out via my roll call. I don't recall any venues, with one exception, being closed, but not sure I would have noticed anyways. The one exception I did notice was that one of the anytime dining rooms stopped accepting guests at a specific time to reserve for the group, who did not need to abide by that. No where was it stated that this would be the case. The patter just listed the two rooms with normal hours. If any lounges were closed for anything, I don't recall, but then again, as a first time Princess cruiser, not sure I would have known....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skynight said:

"I assume Princess allows them to use these lounges; because they are paying Princess money to use them."

Passengers that are not part of the group are also paying to use all the lounges, but are denied access during certain times some of those being peak use times. Princess needs full disclosure to all passengers when booking. It's only a privacy issue if they disclose passenger's names.

Very interesting point of view. 

Does anyone know of or has anyone witnessed the results of a paying passenger who, as skynight points out is paying to use all the lounges, decides to walk past the Private Function sign and take a seat in any of these spaces?

This sounds to me like a scenario in which two groups who both have rightfully paid for and have an expectation of use of said space would surely be at odds with one another. 

I am sure all of us have been on cruises and you walk past a bar and it's roped off and the sign says private function.  That does not bother me in the least;  I just walk past and go some where else.  Not a big deal.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Very interesting point of view. 

Does anyone know of or has anyone witnessed the results of a paying passenger who, as skynight points out is paying to use all the lounges, decides to walk past the Private Function sign and take a seat in any of these spaces?

This sounds to me like a scenario in which two groups who both have rightfully paid for and have an expectation of use of said space would surely be at odds with one another. 

Anyone can call up Princess, say they want to book a lounge on the ship for a private function, and pay up. Your private function might be "place for me to be alone to meditate in peace", but if you're willing to pay up, the lounge is yours.

Some years ago on another cruise line we were walking by the lounge (Princess Club Fusion) which had the sign indicating a private function.  Being curious we stood at the doorway trying to figure out what the show was about when someone noticed us and invited us in.  So we decided to check it out.  It was a comedian which we love telling interesting jokes for open minded pax.  At the end as people were filing out we were invited to join them anytime and encouraged to join the group for their next cruise.  Very friendly group.  We never took them up on the offer but sometimes wished we had.  The group was a GLBT from LA!   

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 5:48 AM, AF-1 said:

When I was there the reserved side was full; but the other side; never saw more than maybe five people.  Come to think of it;  I rarely saw many people in Skywalkers on my Alaska cruise either.  Went up there several times at night;  it was empty.  Even one night I asked the Disc Jockey why was it so quiet.  He said some cruises they have lots of people; and other cruises it's just like this;  nobody.  

On a 28 day cruise I hit Skywalker's every night when Wheelhouse closed. It was usually just the staff and me in the lounge and they would be calling for permission to close. It was like that every night of the cruise until the last part when it was 8 straight sea days from Tahiti to San Pedro. Those last 8 days Skywalker's would see "crowds" of up to maybe 15 people. Of course the average cruiser on that voyage was in their 70s and 80s and the music from the DJ really wasn't "the thing" for the crowd. I'm always boggled that the DJs can't look around the ship, size up the passengers, and then play appropriate music that will go down well with the passenger demographic. They often seem to play stuff that would maybe fly on a 7 day Carnival cruise but really doesn't fit with a Princess cruise. I've heard sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many passengers comment on this. It's not only in Skywalker's but also in Wheelhouse and venues of that sort when there's no live entertainment. Many times when the DJ music starts in Wheelhouse I've seen a bunch of folks get up and walk out.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Some years ago on another cruise line we were walking by the lounge (Princess Club Fusion) which had the sign indicating a private function.  Being curious we stood at the doorway trying to figure out what the show was about when someone noticed us and invited us in.  So we decided to check it out.  It was a comedian which we love telling interesting jokes for open minded pax.  At the end as people were filing out we were invited to join them anytime and encouraged to join the group for their next cruise.  Very friendly group.  We never took them up on the offer but sometimes wished we had.  The group was a GLBT from LA!   

satxdiver;  did you mean they were LGBT from LA?

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

On a 28 day cruise I hit Skywalker's every night when Wheelhouse closed. It was usually just the staff and me in the lounge and they would be calling for permission to close. It was like that every night of the cruise until the last part when it was 8 straight sea days from Tahiti to San Pedro. Those last 8 days Skywalker's would see "crowds" of up to maybe 15 people. Of course the average cruiser on that voyage was in their 70s and 80s and the music from the DJ really wasn't "the thing" for the crowd. I'm always boggled that the DJs can't look around the ship, size up the passengers, and then play appropriate music that will go down well with the passenger demographic. They often seem to play stuff that would maybe fly on a 7 day Carnival cruise but really doesn't fit with a Princess cruise. I've heard sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many passengers comment on this. It's not only in Skywalker's but also in Wheelhouse and venues of that sort when there's no live entertainment. Many times when the DJ music starts in Wheelhouse I've seen a bunch of folks get up and walk out.

Yea,  I get what your saying;  not many people hang out there.  I guess it is more like an observation lounge where people sit during the day and watch the world go by.  At night you can't really see much outside; so people don't go there.  That is just my opinion.  Have a great Labor Day

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

satxdiver;  did you mean they were LGBT from LA?

Yes

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Yea,  I get what your saying;  not many people hang out there.  I guess it is more like an observation lounge where people sit during the day and watch the world go by.  At night you can't really see much outside; so people don't go there.  That is just my opinion.  Have a great Labor Day

I like to go up to Skywalkers late at night when they are open to watch the wake and have a drink.  Many times I have been either by myself or with a few other night owls.  

• Like 1

I was on the Sky Princess in January, 2020.  There was a large Irish Group on board called Andy Cooney’s Irish Stars.  It was fine.  There were some venues being used at times, but it didn’t affect us.  I was on an elevator a couple of times with Ronan Tynan.  I recognized him from PBS.  😁

I was on a Princess cruise a few years ago that had a Precious Moments group on board.  Not only was I astounded that Precious Moments group cruises even existed (who knew?) but I swear to you all of these lovely people looked exactly like Precious Moments figurines.  Seriously.  Round, with shiny faces and bright red cheeks.  Seriously.  Like shiny apples.  God bless 'em.

They didn't take up any venues that I was aware of.  And at disembarkment, there were two UPS drivers there to meet the ship and ship the Precious People's boxes home.  Apparently there were a few exclusive PM figurines sold on the cruise, and most of the PM people seemed to have shipping boxes with them as they disembarked.  Good for them!  There's a group cruise for everybody, it seems (except for during times of pandemic -- don't get me started...).

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 7:47 AM, 1025cruise said:

Anyone can call up Princess, say they want to book a lounge on the ship for a private function, and pay up. Your private function might be "place for me to be alone to meditate in peace", but if you're willing to pay up, the lounge is yours.

You might not even have to pay.  I recall that people used to be able to organize CC meet and greets as a private function in one of the lounges.

On 9/1/2020 at 7:44 AM, AF-1 said:

Hello everyone.  I have been part of the Concerts At Sea group.  There were quite a few people whom we met while boarding in Fort Lauderdale who had no idea we were onboard for the week.  There were appox 900 people including the bands.  There were concert shows everyday in the theater; but the concerts were at times that did not interfere with any Princess show in the theater.  The cruise was on Caribbean Princess;  and the two venues which were used every night were: Club Fusion and Skywalkers.  Normally the oldies house band played every night in Club Fusion; and the DJ played in Skywalkers.  Other than that; I did not see that the group inconvenienced any passenger on the ship. There was a small desk which was manned by the tour; which was by the Piazza.  They were there to answer any questions from the group.  It was a great time and I would book another one just to see all the groups up close and personal.  I counted 12 other bars on this ship for people to socialize.  Any official Princess event like trivia, bingo, etc was not  cancelled or changed to a different venue.  Have a great day

Every night...Do you see what you are saying. This means everyone else cannot use the venues EVERY NIGHT. Boy, do you think that may inconvenience anyone. I guess not since you are content with your comment.

• Like 1

weedpindle;  I understand your frustration;  if you are upset with my comments I am sorry for that.  I went on a rock and roll oldies cruise; which I paid for.  You may contact the concert promoter and vent your frustration with them; just don't be upset with me because I took a cruise.  

13 hours ago, weedpindle said:

Every night...Do you see what you are saying. This means everyone else cannot use the venues EVERY NIGHT. Boy, do you think that may inconvenience anyone. I guess not since you are content with your comment.

Your dissatisfaction with groups is incorrectly focused.  Participants in groups are not at fault at all.  You and others who are negatively affected by groups onboard should direct your frustration toward Princess.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 10:04 PM, Katwoman007 said:

On another cruise ship company, a clothing MLM takes over the entire ship! I have heard stories of people not knowing their party cruise was their cruise and that was a bit much. Just think of an entire ship in crazy looking print clothing, getting their drinking on. Sounds fun for them, who did not pay for their cruise!  hahaha

LuLaRoe ? leggings - MLM - 

11 hours ago, AF-1 said:

weedpindle;  I understand your frustration;  if you are upset with my comments I am sorry for that.  I went on a rock and roll oldies cruise; which I paid for.  You may contact the concert promoter and vent your frustration with them; just don't be upset with me because I took a cruise.  

Well, it's just your cavalier attitude regarding the inconvenience for others on the ship.

• Like 1

Every main stream cruise line (Royal Caribbean, HAL, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival) all do the exact same thing.  It is a fact of cruising. When you book a cruise there may be one or more groups of varying size and they have have one or more facilities reserved at some point during the cruise.

For that matter it is also common in the hotel and resort industry where it is also not unusual for restaurants, pools and other areas to be reserved for private parties.

If you want to cruise or for that matter book large hotels get used to it, because it is a norm in both industries.

5 hours ago, npcl said:

If you want to cruise or for that matter book large hotels get used to it, because it is a norm in both industries.

It is not a matter of getting used to it.

It is knowing in advance so you can decide if you want to be on that trip or switch to another time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, caribill said:

It is not a matter of getting used to it.

It is knowing in advance so you can decide if you want to be on that trip or switch to another time.

Agree. There are always T.A. groups of maybe 10, 20 or so cabins on the ships. This isn't an issue. It's the very large groups that occupy venues and activities.  As for hotels, I have been advised at booking that there is a large group, usually convention goers, booked at the hotel. With hotels you can get tipped off by the pricing and then ask the question. 

https://www.mollieb.com/2021-polka-princess-cruise

We did a b2b on the Sky Princess in January when this group was on for the first half.    I think they said there was 800 people from this group.  Jimmy Sturr was the star of this group so I don’t know if that’s why there were so many participants.  They took over the Vista Lounge and Take Five almost every night and some days, which made for uncomfortable overcrowding in the other venues, especially Princess Live. 

The following week there was another large group of 400 or 600, I’m not too sure.  The closing of venues for this group seemed less disruptive.  

We didn’t notice them during the day. 

22 hours ago, npcl said:

Every main stream cruise line (Royal Caribbean, HAL, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival) all do the exact same thing.  It is a fact of cruising. When you book a cruise there may be one or more groups of varying size and they have have one or more facilities reserved at some point during the cruise.

For that matter it is also common in the hotel and resort industry where it is also not unusual for restaurants, pools and other areas to be reserved for private parties.

I have to disagree here on the hotel part.  They usually have their meetings and meals in banquet rooms.  They don't typically block out public spaces.

On 9/1/2020 at 7:44 AM, AF-1 said:I counted 12 other bars on this ship for people to socialize.  Any official Princess event like trivia, bingo, etc was not  cancelled or changed to a different venue.  Have a great day

12 other bars?  On the cruise I was on with a group of 800 people, those bars were over crowded too.  And if there’s bad weather, the outside decks are of no use.