VEENDAM MEMORIES

St Pete Cruiser

The Veendam, the fourth ship of the "S" class, sailed from Tampa during the winter season for quite a few years in the 2000's.

I did 3 cruises on her:

Canada/New England and then to Bermuda

Cuban Explorer

Carnival and Amazon Explorer 

All 3 of these itineraries consisted of ports or channels that were size restricted,  which necessitated a ship Veendam's size or smaller.  Docking on Front St in Hamilton was the best example. Entering the passage to Ceinfuegos,  Cuba was another.

20180811_065643.jpg

20170613_154519.jpg

20170612_122308.jpg

• Like 1

Veendam was our first HAL ship in 2005, and recently, our last cruise before the pandemic.

We were on the 10 day Caribbean xmas sailing with family, this past December 2019.

attached are pictures of Christmas tree lighting/Christmas caroling on the Veendam, and the gingerbread house display.

Carol

B4A12CBA-5C48-43C7-996F-1602CF57B7E3.jpeg

7BE301D8-05E1-433D-B4FF-61AFF0C791D0.jpeg

68D9E09D-E9A1-4C1F-95CC-03F8DBC98857.jpeg

Edited by CJcruzer
  • Like 4

I sailed the Veendam in 2002, my sisters, nieces and nephews first cruise..........they were hooked on cruising and HAL...........we still talk about that cruise and how much fun they all had................and how much fun the kids had with Club HAL........they can take the ship away, but can never take those memories away...................

• Like 1

Veendam took more heat on Cruise Critic for her added cabins, HVAC, plumbing, and other problems than any ship in the fleet and this was back in the time that the slightest unfavorable comment about HAL was jumped on by the cheerleaders. I'd read so many complaints about the Veendam that I said I would not sail on her.

We sailed her twice, a delightful around the Horn cruise in 2011 and a Hawaii cruise during which we returned to San Diego to debark a sick passenger and then stopped to rescue a pilot near Hawaii. Wonderful cruises, but I'd have rather been on any other ship in the fleet.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, whogo said:

Veendam took more heat on Cruise Critic for her added cabins, HVAC, plumbing, and other problems than any ship in the fleet and this was back in the time that the slightest unfavorable comment about HAL was jumped on by the cheerleaders. I'd read so many complaints about the Veendam that I said I would not sail on her.

We sailed her twice, a delightful around the Horn cruise in 2011 and a Hawaii cruise during which we returned to San Diego to debark a sick passenger and then stopped to rescue a pilot near Hawaii. Wonderful cruises, but I'd have rather been on any other ship in the fleet.

Veendam did have a bad couple of years. HAL eventually took control and cleaned house and in recent years the Veendam had overcome most of those issues. Last years drydock saw new lighter color carpet and fixtures in Crow's Nest and many public areas as well as rooms. Seems now too late. Sad.

Great memories. Mrs Banjo and I sailed on Veendam 3 times.  Our first was before they added the cabins on the stern. NYC to Bermuda, tied up in Hamilton, then sailed into St George.  After her conversion she could no longer go through the cut., then twice Canada / New England.  We also sailed on Ryndam from Tamps twice and in Norway in 2017.  Masdam only once.  Going to miss the S class.  The others are just to big for us.

My sole cruise on Veendam was during July, 1998.  It was a cruise that I came close to canceling.  My Mother had passed in April.  Should I again "enjoy" myself so soon afterwards was my concern.  Mother was a "cruiser" and I concluded she would want me to complete my plans.  

We sailed on July 5th.  I arrived in Fort Lauderdale two days early and was a guest at Hyatt Regency Pier 66.  I remember vividly the fireworks that I saw over the ocean from that observation deck outside the Top of the Pier Lounge as well as other fireworks over parts of Fort Lauderdale.  

The Jacob's Ladder sculpture was the Veendam's decorative highlight, I think.  It was a very good cruise.  

• Like 1

We sailed the Veendam on the 52n Amazon and RIO Carnivale cruise in January 2019. Wonderful cruise that ticked a lot of boxes.  So glad that we did it because in today's Corona world, we would not even consider it now .   We have missed out on the Westerdam's South America/Antarctica/Solar Eclipse cruise in November, so it looks as though that part of the world is out of our reach also.

Very sad 😥

1 hour ago, JJG99 said:

We sailed the Veendam on the 52n Amazon and RIO Carnivale cruise in January 2019. Wonderful cruise that ticked a lot of boxes.  So glad that we did it because in today's Corona world, we would not even consider it now .   We have missed out on the Westerdam's South America/Antarctica/Solar Eclipse cruise in November, so it looks as though that part of the world is out of our reach also.

Very sad 😥

I hope you enjoyed the 2019 as much as we did the 2017.  One of my favorites!

We sailed on Veendam several times, beginning in 2014.  We always liked the ship.  We were on here last year for 67 days.  The new carpet and furniture in many of the public areas really made her look clean and brighter.  After the Prinsendam left the fleet, Veendam became our favorite ship.  Her crew made her special.  

We have about decided to try not to have a favorite ship, since every time we do, the ship is sold.  LOL  

• Like 2

Veendam became one of our favorite ships. 3 cruises to Bermuda...one from New York and two from Boston. And last fall, an Atlantic Coast cruise from Montréal to Fort Lauderdale. We did other small ship cruises on Maasdam and Ryndam. Those days are gone forever. [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

The Veendam, IMHO, had the best Crow's Nest in the fleet. It has visabilty all around without rooms or enclosed space behind it to block the view. Had the nicer circular bar like the R class adopted. The windows didn't have that vertical bar blocking the view. Plenty of deck space looking forward, which the new ships have omitted.

I can't find the pics; hopefully someone else does. Please post!