If This Article Is Accurate, Don't Expect Oceania And The Other NCLH Cruise Lines To Resume Cruising Anytime Soon

njhorseman

This article was recently posted on the NCL board:

http://www.crew-center.com/nclh-cruise-ships-go-cool-lay-manning

Personally, for quite time I've thought any significant resumption of cruising by Oceania, NCL and Regent Seven Seas in 2020 was extremely unlikely anyway, but this article pretty much confirms it. It's unlikely that NCLH can re-crew the ships and return them to operating condition that quickly...and they certainly wouldn't be taking this step if they intended to be able to restart relatively quickly and easily.

sad  but if  the virus is still going strong in some Countries   they will not be able to sail from those ports 

If Americans are still barred from Europe  then the few Europeans may be able to sail around that area

Would Oceania even consider doing  a short cruise  from  there like MSC did recently?

I am just hoping that there is still a cruise line when all this is  done

JMO

• Like 1

Confirms many rumors.   Expect O to make some announcement after the Labour Day sale is over about cancelations to just befoe Christmas.   If extended further those won't be announced until beginning of November.   Just my guess based on what is happening.   Canadian border is closed until further notice as the government's got tired of extending it monthly.

15 hours ago, GICNJC said:

Confirms many rumors.   Expect O to make some announcement after the Labour Day sale is over 

Haven't seen anything yet about a Labor Day sale - have you? I am considering booking a "back up" cruise... looking more and more like our May 2021 cruise may not happen. 

I have my doubts about my August 2021 Marina Baltic cruise that was postponed from this past June. The way things are going in Europe no one will be able to go there at all, even by plane, for years. I was just about to start looking for award tickets to CPH and return from ARN that coincide with the cruise but there are likely no flights on the schedules yet.

25 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I have my doubts about my August 2021 Marina Baltic cruise that was postponed from this past June. The way things are going in Europe no one will be able to go there at all, even by plane, for years. I was just about to start looking for award tickets to CPH and return from ARN that coincide with the cruise but there are likely no flights on the schedules yet.

Most airlines only post flights about 11 months ahead, although in a few cases 12 months.  For example ITA flight search is only showing some possible flights until July 29 2021.

• Thanks 1

Just curious, why you all think they have not cancelled cruises in November and December, if you are all sure they not going to happen?

If they have not intention of cruising but still allow people to book them, seems like it would make more customers mad, than it is worth.  This is a premium line, with affluent customers, that do not put up with deception, lies, or any disingenuous behaviour.

34 minutes ago, msears101 said:

Just curious, why you all think they have not cancelled cruises in November and December, if you are all sure they not going to happen?

If they have not intention of cruising but still allow people to book them, seems like it would make more customers mad, than it is worth.  This is a premium line, with affluent customers, that do not put up with deception, lies, or any disingenuous behaviour.

Haven't you noticed that cancellations have been handled that way throughout the entire crisis? They...not just Oceania, but pretty much every cruise line...wait until the last possible minute to cancel. They do it for two obvious reasons. First, the most important reason is it allows them to hold on to their cash as long as possible, and second, they don't want to cancel until they're 100% sure they won't be able to sail. The last thing they want to do is cancel and then find out that they could have actually run the cruise.

At this point who with minimum intelligence and in their right mind doesn't understand what's been going on? Any rational person booking a cruise at this stage of the game has to be presumed to know they are taking a certain amount of risk by doing so. Don't you have personal responsibility for the decisions you make? No one is holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to book a cruise or make a final payment on a cruise previously booked. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clairol said:

Haven't seen anything yet about a Labor Day sale - have you? I am considering booking a "back up" cruise... looking more and more like our May 2021 cruise may not happen. 

I received a circular in the mail today advertising a Labor Day sale. It's up to a 4 category upgrade.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RJB said:

No way !!  They try to double talk you with all the fine print.  The words are up to, not that they will.

Exactly. Depends on how many "sub-catagories" there are and what's available on the specific sailing. With the July 4 sale we got a P3 for the price of an A-1. 

From what I am reading on the Regent site the next big NCLH announcement will be on Sept. 14 when they announce the 2023 World Cruise and cancel the Nov. sailings.  They may even cancel the Dec. sailings.  I don't know.  There seems to be some rumor afoot that Royal Caribbean may start sailing in November, but who knows.  We cancelled our Dec. Oceania sailing to SA, but we have deposits on future cruises in late March, July, and August.  I would think nothing will happen until they resolve the health protocols, which were supposed to be announced at the end of August, with nothing yet.  All we can do is hope.

46 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

From what I am reading on the Regent site the next big NCLH announcement will be on Sept. 14 when they announce the 2023 World Cruise and cancel the Nov. sailings.  They may even cancel the Dec. sailings.  I don't know.  There seems to be some rumor afoot that Royal Caribbean may start sailing in November, but who knows.  We cancelled our Dec. Oceania sailing to SA, but we have deposits on future cruises in late March, July, and August.  I would think nothing will happen until they resolve the health protocols, which were supposed to be announced at the end of August, with nothing yet.  All we can do is hope.

I see by your profile that you are on the Regent 2022 WC.  That itin is everything we want, and nothing we don't.  I would so love to be on that ship with you.  Just can't make the $ work, and by the time we would know if we could, it will be too late.  I hope you have a wonderful time Lady's Mom.  I'll be with you in spirit!