The Daily for Monday Sep 7, 2020

richwmn

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Today’s Italian wine has a Very nice rating. Prices range between $15 & $25. Sounds like a great wine with a summer meal, or even just sipping in the evening. We will need to sip this one quickly!😱

#94 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017

Light straw yellow. Ample and intense aromas, with hints of peach and almond. This wine is fresh and harmonious. 

Pair with grilled fish, shellfish, poultry or cold dishes.

WS90
Wine Spectator
Tarragon and thyme notes lace flavors of green melon and lime granita in this juicy, light- to medium-bodied white. Fresh, balanced and minerally, with a spiced finish. Drink now through 2020.

For those not familiar with Greco di Tufo, it's one of my favorite Italian wines. The grape itself is said to have been brought to southern Italy by the Greeks who colonized the area 2500 years ago, and perhaps brought viticulture to Italy. (The same Greeks who built amazing temples at Paestum, near Salerno):'

image.thumb.png.cedce9395fb9da68c7853d08683ed839.png

The "Tufo" part of the name refers to a town called Tufo, which is itself named for the "tuff" or "tufa" (as the Romans called it) stone, which is a volcanic stone especially prominent around Pompeii. Growing this grape in tuff gives it a lovely mineral-y flavor.

Some of these old wines were in danger of being forgotten, but are now being revived. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Ever tried this one?

Oranjeboom | United Dutch Breweries

Yes and we had an Oranjeboom Brewery in Den Haag John .  Also you and I would pronounce the name of this brewery much different than the English speakers here .

( This is not  a beer or cider with an explosion ,  but a double "O" which means a long "O" , same as in Oosterdam ! ) 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Yes and we had an Oranjeboom Brewery in Den Haag John .  Also you and I would pronounce the name of this brewery much different than the English speakers here .

( This is not  a beer or cider with an explosion ,  but a double "O" which means a long "O" , same as in Oosterdam ! ) 

Ooh - ran (like father) je - somewhat like canyon - boam (meaning "orange tree")  😉 Not an easy one for non-Dutch speakers to pronounce. Haven't checked for a while but here, Trader Joe's (not sure if you guys have that up there), used to carry Oranjeboom 

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Happy Labour Day! Thanks for the update, the Care list, the drink and wine information and all of the pictures! Quote is true, especially if you were to use today's interest rates. 😮 Might as well keep the money under the mattress. Not a zucchini fan, and I think I'm making meatloaf for dinner today.

We had that same storm through the night @puppycanducruise and it promises to be a cool, dull, trying-to-rain day.  I'm not looking forward to the Alberta Clipper that @ger_77 is sending our way!

For those who enjoy a Hurricane and country music....

Have a blessed day. Wear your mask! Be well! Stay safe! Be kind!

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

Happy Labour Day! Thanks for the update, the Care list, the drink and wine information and all of the pictures! Quote is true, especially if you were to use today's interest rates. 😮 Might as well keep the money under the mattress. Not a zucchini fan, and I think I'm making meatloaf for dinner today.

We had that same storm through the night @puppycanducruise and it promises to be a cool, dull, trying-to-rain day.  I'm not looking forward to the Alberta Clipper that @ger_77 is sending our way!

For those who enjoy a Hurricane and country music....

Biiiiig Alan Jackson (and modern country like Brooks & Dunn and Antebellum) fan here; another good one!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I do have to tell you though, that we're expecting an "Alberta Clipper" to flow through here beginning this afternoon, dropping our temperatures well below freezing.  Tonight's low is predicted to be -4C (24.5F)  We've already brought a number of our flowering annuals into our glassed-in deck for safekeeping; it looks like a florist's shop!  Ah, the joys of living on the "frozen tundra"! LOL

Excellent reminder of why I live in the great southwest desert.  I can tolerate the hot weather better and a lot longer than I can tolerate cold weather.  But I do thank you for allowing a small portion of your "Alberta Clipper" to drop down into the southwest as it is supposed to bring our temperature down from high of114F to 95F and low from 90+F to 70+F making live much more comfortable for us. 

• Like 4

DH worked for a major brewery here in the U.S. for about 30 years so he always enjoyed a beer here and there.  Now he drinks more wine than beer, but when traveling likes to try a few new brews here and there.

This one is from a place in Antwerp called Belgian Beers and Brews.  They give away samples if you're interested.  

enhance

For our Labor Day dinner we have decided to eat the classics, grilled burgers, corn on the cob and my own potato salad recipe.  And wine. 😉  If we eat early enough we could splurge on some beer and popcorn tonight.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning Rich, Roy, and daily-ites.  Salami and Beer would make DH very happy.

Hurricane Drink:

• 2 ounces light rum
  • 2 ounces dark rum
  • 1 ounce fresh lime juice
  • 1 ounce fresh orange juice
  • 1/2 ounce passion fruit purée
  • 1/2 ounce simple syrup
  • 1 barspoon grenadine
  • Garnish: orange wheel
  • Garnish: preserved cherry
Everyone have a great Labor Day, just a great Monday.  Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Do I have to wear a mask if I am not out and about?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Himself said:

Personal choice, Father! We don't in the house (unless there's company) or inside the car, only among others, stores, gas stations, drive throughs, Yogurtland 😉 etc.  

• Like 4

Good morning all,

The zucchini rolls sound interesting. Will explore that idea with some of our last Japanese eggplants later this week. But tonight it’s bbq pork ribs with peach sauce, with a fennel/ apple coleslaw and the other BBQ fixings ( corn on cob, potato salad, etc.) Dessert is what remains of the passion fruit gelato I made yesterday with lemon cake (to celebrate a neighbor’s engagement). Will definitely make that gelato again - oh my gosh. I keep reminding DH that some of these newer foods I’ve been exposed to on HAL trips and am now exploring how to make are part of the investment of prior travel- ROI. 

While we aren’t very close to any of the current fires we’re getting cloud cover and ash. The sunlight and sky has a yellow orange errie tinge  but no smell of smoke. Having said that, no trail ride for me today.  

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DH worked for a major brewery here in the U.S. for about 30 years so he always enjoyed a beer here and there.  Now he drinks more wine than beer, but when traveling likes to try a few new brews here and there.

This one is from a place in Antwerp called Belgian Beers and Brews.  They give away samples if you're interested.  

For our Labor Day dinner we have decided to eat the classics, grilled burgers, corn on the cob and my own potato salad recipe.  And wine. 😉  If we eat early enough we could splurge on some beer and popcorn tonight.

A Stella is not a bad one either, if we're talkin' Belgian............... 😉

Buy Online Stella Artois 5.2° - 1/4L - Belgian Shop - Delivery Worl...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Personal choice, Father! We don't in the house (unless there's company) or inside the car, only among others, stores, gas stations, drive throughs, Yogurtland 😉 etc.  

You wear it a lot more than I do.  I wear it into stores.  John:  Have a good Labor Day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Himself said:

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Policies seem to vary.  I wear mine at the drive through although the sign on the door at the McDonalds where I get coffee says a mask is required to enter but if you don't have one your alternative is the drive through.  When walking I either don't wear it or have it around my neck and will put it into position when I get within perhaps 50 feet of someone else.  Indoors everywhere except my house or my private office in the fire house.  Since the mask protects others more than me I consider it a sign of respect, and compliance is quite high in Maryland.

Roy

• Like 9

Just now, rafinmd said:

Policies seem to vary.  I wear mine at the drive through although the sign on the door at the McDonalds where I get coffee says a mask is required to enter but if you don't have one your alternative is the drive through.  When walking I either don't wear it or have it around my neck and will put it into position when I get within perhaps 50 feet of someone else.  Indoors everywhere except my house or my private office in the fire house.  Since the mask protects others more than me I consider it a sign of respect, and compliance is quite high in Maryland.

Roy

I go into Portllos locally and I do not wear a mask in the Drive Through. However if one goesin than a mask is required.

• Like 2