Anyone recently booked a cruise yet? I'm tempted.

Ihearttravel11

On 9/7/2020 at 12:34 PM, Ihearttravel11 said:

I have $500 in Carnival GC's and am seriously tempted to book a cruise. Not until 2021, at least, though.
There seem to be some decent prices out there, and I am still mourning my cancellation for my Feb cruise on the soon to be, if not already, scrapped Imagination.
Have you booked yet? Are you holding out? Are you tempted too?
I am just worried that if something happens with CCL that I would be out my $.
Thoughts?

I am waiting to see if the cruise lines make it through this without going bankrupt.  As soon as a couple of cruises out of the US come through without an outbreak, I will be booking something probably late 2021 early 2022.

I have 4 cruises booked next year. One in 4/21 which does not look promising and three in winter 2021. All deposits are refundable except one with $100 NRD. I believe prices will likely hit the roof as soon as a vaccine is found and ships start sailing again. I would also agree MSC has the best deals out there right now with good price, low refundable deposit and nice perks.

I have a Nov 2021 and Jan 2022. I will only book an earlier one than these after the the sailings begin and I know what the protocols will be. If I can't deal with the new protocols ..... well I guess I will cancel my two sailings (one refundable and one is not).

e

7 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I don't know your real preferences but I was on MSC twice and loved it.  My Oct 2020 was canceled and so was my Oct 2021....it looks like no more sailing out of NYC with really upset me.

I find MSC more upscale (your fellow passengers).  The ships are beautiful.  The entertainment is top notch.  However, "fine dining" it's not.  The buffet has limited options (you won't go hungry).  Their pizza is excellent (take from a 71 year old native NYer).  The food in the MDR wasn't impressive either.  But to be fair, I don't really care for the Carnival buffet or MDR.

If I had a choice of MSC or Carnival or NCL (I only sail out of NYC; I can walk to the terminal)....it would be MSC!

I forgot to mention the price....lol.  Maybe not always $59/pp....but compared to Carnival it's a steal.

I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info and the pizza tip... the New Yorker in me appreciates it.

No interest in booking a cruise yet. Frankly surprised that so many are. Of the cruises that have restart it's a mix of mis-steps, false starts, and tentative successes. There is certainly a trend that the closer to a success the more rules are put into place. It seems very likely that Carnival restarting will involve covid testing, masks, and mandatory shore excursions. I would like to believe that there will be a vaccine by the end of the year and things will be "back to normal" soon but don't see it. The leading vaccine trial has already been suspended due to a possible severe reaction. Not saying that it's doomed to failure, but that things thing happen and should be expected which is why that "best case scenario" if "everything goes right" of November vaccine seems unlikely. When a vaccine does come out, cruisers getting it will be so far down the pile of needs that I can't see that being available until late 2021 or early 2022. I take a variety of land vacations and cruises and at the moment, the land vacation seems like a much better option. I'm not desperate enough to cruise to pay money to a company that may declare bankruptcy, and/or that may cancel my cruise, and/or may keep the cruise but put so many restrictions on that it's no longer fun. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

No interest in booking a cruise yet. Frankly surprised that so many are. Of the cruises that have restart it's a mix of mis-steps, false starts, and tentative successes. There is certainly a trend that the closer to a success the more rules are put into place. It seems very likely that Carnival restarting will involve covid testing, masks, and mandatory shore excursions. I would like to believe that there will be a vaccine by the end of the year and things will be "back to normal" soon but don't see it. The leading vaccine trial has already been suspended due to a possible severe reaction. Not saying that it's doomed to failure, but that things thing happen and should be expected which is why that "best case scenario" if "everything goes right" of November vaccine seems unlikely. When a vaccine does come out, cruisers getting it will be so far down the pile of needs that I can't see that being available until late 2021 or early 2022. I take a variety of land vacations and cruises and at the moment, the land vacation seems like a much better option. I'm not desperate enough to cruise to pay money to a company that may declare bankruptcy, and/or that may cancel my cruise, and/or may keep the cruise but put so many restrictions on that it's no longer fun. 

I missed that. Where is it reported that vaccine trials have been suspended ?

I'm in agreement on future protocols. To go through all the mask, distancing crap, and ship sponsored tours and still PAY FOR IT, is beyond having anything to do with the fun of cruising for me.

3 minutes ago, glrounds said:

I'm in agreement on future protocols. To go through all the mask, distancing crap, and ship sponsored tours and still PAY FOR IT, is beyond having anything to do with the fun of cruising for me.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/health/coronavirus-vaccine-astrazeneca-pause/index.html

• Like 1

One person in the trial developed an illness that is being investigated.  It doesn't mean that the vaccine caused the illness.  It means someone who is in the study developed an illness that may or may not be related to the vaccine.    In this situation, it is a single event.   Illnesses can happen by chance, but then must be reviewed.  No reason to panic, in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

One person in the trial developed an illness that is being investigated.  It doesn't mean that the vaccine caused the illness.  It means someone who is in the study developed an illness that may or may not be related to the vaccine.    In this situation, it is a single event.   Illnesses can happen by chance, but then must be reviewed.  No reason to panic, in my opinion.

Completely agree. No reason to panic. Not even a good reason at this point to think the vaccine caused the illness. But it will slow the process; and I think slow downs from time to time are to be expected because things do happen and people do get sick. So to cling to this idea that there will be a vaccine by November and everyone will be cruising by January is unrealistic.

13 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

a "pause" in the trials. A common thing.

"National Institutes of Health director Dr. Francis Collins told a Senate hearing Wednesday that it's a standard precaution in vaccine trials meant to ensure experimental vaccines don't cause serious reactions among participants."

2 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Completely agree. No reason to panic. Not even a good reason at this point to think the vaccine caused the illness. But it will slow the process; and I think slow downs from time to time are to be expected because things do happen and people do get sick. So to cling to this idea that there will be a vaccine by November and everyone will be cruising by January is unrealistic.

I agree. As a matter of fact, I don't think there will be any REALISTIC cruising until at least the 2nd quarter of 2021.

Just booked two! One August 2021, and another January 2022. If they go, that's great, I don't mind dreaming about it for awhile! We are supposed to go on a Panama cruise in April, doubt we will. So I guess I keep adding some on the calendar knowing eventually it will work out. 

2 hours ago, glrounds said:

My final payment is a couple of days after the first Magic trip out of NYC.  If "protocols are in place".....no trip for me.  I can deal with social distancing.  Masks....questionable.  But not being allowed off the ship unless I'm on a sanctioned tour...no way.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2020 at 1:59 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

I find MSC more upscale (your fellow passengers)

🤷‍♀️ Can't speak for MSC, but we've had some really enjoyable cruises on Holland.  The food was great, and I love how they actually serve you in the buffet.  They also serve the salad bar.  There are multiple individual small plates, pre-prepped (cheese plates, sushi, etc.) available so there is no cross contamination.  What I didn't love was nothing going on after 9 pm.  Maybe the piano bar or BB King's Blues club.  What I also didn't love was having several basic conversations will fellow cruisers on Holland that when I mentioned cruising Carnival....it was always "Oh, the Wal Mart of cruise lines..."  Wasted conversations.  It's too bad they are missing out on the fun.  I hadn't sailed Carnival since 2014.  I came back in 2018 with an awesome cruise on the Freedom.  I am so glad I came back.  I have several Carnival cruises booked over the next two years, and have re-booked five so far that have been canceled due to this mess.

• Like 1

Yes! I was on Panorama at the end of January and my wife and I came home very sick. All the symptoms of caronavirus but it wasn't known at the time. My wife had a cough for 6 weeks that would not go away and doctors were stumped. I had terrible shortness of breath for 4 days and could not get out of bed for two days. My littlest had mild symptoms for two days and my two older ones had zero symptoms. Really makes us wonder if we did in fact get it at that time on the cruise. We're booked for Panorama again for April 2021 and also booked for Radiance for April 2022. We are pumped and my kids picked cruising over San Diego, Las Vegas, Palm Springs, and local stay-cation. We were lucky to sail on her before everything got shut down and will be happy to sail on her in April! We are also looking forward to Radiance as well. I have faith a vaccine will be ready in Jan at the latest and things will be looking up into the new year! #teamcarnival!

Edited by cruisingguy007