Grand Cayman is out!

Runaway Parent

We are booked for a December 2020 cruise on the Legend, and to make a long story short...

I emailed one of the resorts about potential of a day pass. This was there response: "I am afraid as of latest Government decision, the cruise business will not resume in Cayman until January of 2021." 

So, I know Carnival can change itineraries per the cruise contract. We sail in less than 100 days. I'm curious about decisions from other ports we are scheduled to visit. How far out do you think Carnival will inform booked guests of itinerary changes? (I know it's possible the cruise might be cancelled altogether, but I don't even want to think about that...again...this would be the 3rd cancellation.)

Hi

Seeing that you have had two previous bookings cancelled, you must be able to recognize by now, that they don't know if you are going to be sailing at all, as you acknowledge. 

Considering that fact, why would you not think that they will advise you of your itinerary or any other pertinent information as soon as they know themselves.

As far as what countries you may eventually visit, that would depend on what restrictions those countries have in place at the time of sailing. Those restrictions can change daily. 

Another thought, is that what has been seen to date with sailings that have happened, is that passengers may not be allowed to leave the ship at port of calls unless they are part of (and stay with) an organized ships excursion. So, booking your day pass might possibly have been a waste anyway. Again nobody really knows, because we aren't there yet.

My thought would be, since you seem intent on riding this out, why not be patient and wait until it becomes apparent what may happen and trust that the cruise line will advise you when they know, as opposed to being told something now that will just be revised. 

• Like 1

I'm operating under the assumption that my Grand Cayman day will be changed. I'm thinking maybe Progreso, Costa Maya, or a sea day. No clue when they would announce the change. Probably sometime after they announce the plan to restart cruising. I'll just go with the flow.

"Like a twig on the shoulders of a mighty stream." -Del Griffith

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I'm operating under the assumption that my Grand Cayman day will be changed. I'm thinking maybe Progreso, Costa Maya, or a sea day. No clue when they would announce the change. Probably sometime after they announce the plan to restart cruising. I'll just go with the flow.

Well said. Like button hit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I agree...that's what I've been assuming, but I was just curious. I appreciate your response!

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I got that reference right away. Nicely done!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Runaway Parent said:

We are booked for a December 2020 cruise on the Legend, and to make a long story short...

I emailed one of the resorts about potential of a day pass. This was there response: "I am afraid as of latest Government decision, the cruise business will not resume in Cayman until January of 2021." 

So, I know Carnival can change itineraries per the cruise contract. We sail in less than 100 days. I'm curious about decisions from other ports we are scheduled to visit. How far out do you think Carnival will inform booked guests of itinerary changes? (I know it's possible the cruise might be cancelled altogether, but I don't even want to think about that...again...this would be the 3rd cancellation.)

Unfortunately I think that you have a greater chance of a cancellation then you do of an itinerary change.

• Like 1

Mexico is taking anyone and their virus numbers prove it. Many Caribbean islands are not ready for U.S. citizens, don’t blame them. 

Side note, we just got back from Yellowstone, virtually no masks. even most restaurants in West Yellowstone, no masks at all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Runaway Parent said:

I not sure I would book any non Carnival excursions. They may follow in Costa's footsteps and only allow you off the ship on one of their excursions and you are not permitted to leave the excursion. We were going to book the inaugural 4 day of the Radiance, until I told my husband that and he said no thank you.  Which makes me said because my favorite cruise director is going to be bringing it out.

10 hours ago, Runaway Parent said:

We didn't find out about our itinerary change until we were on the ship and it was at Sea.  Bermuda became Grand Turk and Amber Cove.

Karen

I just assume every port is up in the air right now. Last summer we were on a Cuba cruise that at the last minute got re-routed. This year’s cruise was COVID cancelled. Just hoping to get on a boat and stop somewhere/anywhere in 2021.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mslhb said:

I just assume every port is up in the air right now. Last summer we were on a Cuba cruise that at the last minute got re-routed. This year’s cruise was COVID cancelled. Just hoping to get on a boat and stop somewhere/anywhere in 2021.

Even under normal conditions, it's always been subject to change with no guarantee. 

On 9/8/2020 at 7:31 PM, mslhb said:

The cruise is up in the air and every port is up in the air. And whether or not you can book independent excursions is up in the air. There is waaaaay too much unknown and about when and how cruising will resume for the OP to try and book any independent excursions. For all they know it will be carnival excursions only like MSC.