Keeping our morale up during the pandemic.

OzKiwiJJ

37 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have been watching it on the BOM site and could see the dramatically coloured areas heading for the GC. I hope your home is OK with the storm. My daughter phoned to warn us about the storm but we were already tracking it. 

Today we have a couple of tradies working on our roof, replacing some guttering. I hope they finish before we get rain here. I think they will make it. 🙂

Looks like it is bypassing Brisbane, with three cells heading for Gold Coast.  A friend on the southside said it has been very windy there.  

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We timed it perfectly for our coffee and lunch walk. Left the apartment just after 11am, walked half way to the Singing Bridge and stopped at a cafe for coffee, then carried on walking. Just as we reach Mumms on the Myall restaurant, next to the bridge, it started to rain. We were able to get a table for lunch and have just enjoyed some delicious food: oysters, scallops, duck spring rolls and a butterflied prawn salad. 

It's sunny again. Hopefully it will stay that way until we have dessert (lemon curd roulade for me and salted caramel apple tart for DH) and walk back to our apartment.

Sounds like you timed it perfectly for m/t and lunch.  Doesn't matter as much if you get wet on the way home.  Did you say there were babies in nappies in your pool?

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sounds like you timed it perfectly for m/t and lunch.  Doesn't matter as much if you get wet on the way home.  Did you say there were babies in nappies in your pool?

We did time it perfectly, and got back home without getting wet.

Yes, at least two toddlers who I think were wearing swim nappies plus one playing in the sand and water's edge with what looked like a standard nappy. The pool is in two parts, a lap pool and a smaller pool with a sandy "beach". A small waterfall connects the two. It wouldn't be so bad if the toddlers stayed in the small, lower pool but the parents are carrying them into the bigger pool as well. I'd like to have a swim today as it's quite warm and humid but ...

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We did time it perfectly, and got back home without getting wet.

Yes, at least two toddlers who I think were wearing swim nappies plus one playing in the sand and water's edge with what looked like a standard nappy. The pool is in two parts, a lap pool and a smaller pool with a sandy "beach". A small waterfall connects the two. It wouldn't be so bad if the toddlers stayed in the small, lower pool but the parents are carrying them into the bigger pool as well. I'd like to have a swim today as it's quite warm and humid but ...

Yuk!  Put fan on first time today.  It is building up to a big storm with three cells heading for GC, so humid here also 

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

So far it has missed us, but it is very humid outside.

First dangerous storm cell has rolled over - thunder, horizontal rain, wind and sounded like small hail .  Another cell is following.  I just got a warning on my phone QFES VERY DANGEROUS STORMS destructive winds seek shelter 

www.bom.gov.au

I've never seen so many storm cells in SEQld. 

38 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree. There are a lot of storm cells currently. We had small hail - up to grape size. So far we have only had 7mm of rain.

Another cell is rolling in now, but not as strong as the last one fortunately.  

Late night for me waiting for the election results, with Qld. Premier returned for a four year term, with a majority government.  I actually like Deb., LoO, and think the two women did a good job during the campaign.  It was lovely to see Anastasia's parents.  Her seat was held by her father before her and he won the seat 8 times!  I think the PM underestimated her and the Qld. people.  

7 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Late night for me waiting for the election results, with Qld. Premier returned for a four year term, with a majority government.  I actually like Deb., LoO, and think the two women did a good job during the campaign.  It was lovely to see Anastasia's parents.  Her seat was held by her father before her and he won the seat 8 times!  I think the PM underestimated her and the Qld. people.  

I have to offer my congratulations. Alls fair in love and war.

10 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

From comments made by an LNP spokesman last night, they expected that Labor would win. I don't think anyone under-estimated the Premier or the influence that COVID would have on the election results. Without the pandemic, I believe there would have been a different result from the election.

I enjoy listening to the comments made after the polls close. You then hear honest comments.

I was surprised by the surge in the vote for the Greens. They were expected to win South Brisbane, but they came close in a lot of other seats. The vote for One Nation collapsed and Clive Palmer's United Party didn't even make it into the score board, despite his having spent millions of dollars on advertising. Last night during the counting, there was the comment that Anna Palmer had received 125 votes. I think that was the number that was mentioned. The result for the PUP shows that Queenslanders aren't fools.

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Insiders gave a good coverage on the Queensland election.  Senior reporter, Vicki ?, was spot on with her assessment of the reasons for the results.  Terry Butler ALP Member from Brisbane also gave articulate reasons.  

I didn't watch those. What did they say? 🙂

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

From comments made by an LNP spokesman last night, they expected that Labor would win. I don't think anyone under-estimated the Premier or the influence that COVID would have on the election results. Without the pandemic, I believe there would have been a different result from the election.

I enjoy listening to the comments made after the polls close. You then hear honest comments.

I was surprised by the surge in the vote for the Greens. They were expected to win South Brisbane, but they came close in a lot of other seats. The vote for One Nation collapsed and Clive Palmer's United Party didn't even make it into the score board, despite his having spent millions of dollars on advertising. Last night during the counting, there was the comment that Anna Palmer had received 125 votes. I think that was the number that was mentioned. The result for the PUP shows that Queenslanders aren't fools.

My girlfriend's son lives in Townsville.  He went to bed early in disgust because he and his friends thought labour would loose all Townsville seats.  LNP made the wrong policy judgement about how to manage the high crime rate there.  I'm not surprised about Green's vote increasing in inner city areas of Brisbane.  Whilst I don't vote from Greens in lower houses, when I do that ABC test, I always end up in the Green corner of the four squares. 

There has been so much happening in Qld with the virus, One Nation didn't get the free coverage from all TV stations like they used to get.  Pauline Hanson appeared mid campaign.  Where was she?  Not fighting for her party!

30 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My girlfriend's son lives in Townsville.  He went to bed early in disgust because he and his friends thought labour would loose all Townsville seats.  LNP made the wrong policy judgement about how to manage the high crime rate there.  I'm not surprised about Green's vote increasing in inner city areas of Brisbane.  Whilst I don't vote from Greens in lower houses, when I do that ABC test, I always end up in the Green corner of the four squares. 

There has been so much happening in Qld with the virus, One Nation didn't get the free coverage from all TV stations like they used to get.  Pauline Hanson appeared mid campaign.  Where was she?  Not fighting for her party!

Pauline was virtually absent from media coverage of the election campaign. Clive was also. He left it to his wife to be the new face of the party.

50 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I didn't watch those. What did they say? 🙂

I couldn't do it justice.  However, you can view the show on IView. 

The reporters on that show usually have inside knowledge which make their comments interesting. 

Politics will always be with us, good, bad and the ugly.

Meanwhile we are still awaiting our future in terms of travel.

Restricted as it is.

Anyone been to Hayman island recently? Any reviews? Understand its under new management?

Years ago spent some happy times on Bedarra but that too has changed.

It was all inclusive and a delight to holiday there. 

55 minutes ago, pully8 said:

Politics will always be with us, good, bad and the ugly.

Meanwhile we are still awaiting our future in terms of travel.

Restricted as it is.

Anyone been to Hayman island recently? Any reviews? Understand its under new management?

Years ago spent some happy times on Bedarra but that too has changed.

It was all inclusive and a delight to holiday there. 

I haven't stayed on any of the Great Barrier Reef islands recently.  Hayman Island used to be the most up market.  I always wished I'd stayed on Bedarra before it became exclusive.  Lady Elliot Island is still on my to do list. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Just read that ON complained that they didn't get the TV coverage like they normally got.  ON voted for defunding of ABC, which provided the biggest coverage of rural Qld.  

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Just read that ON complained that they didn't get the TV coverage like they normally got.  ON voted for defunding of ABC, which provided the biggest coverage of rural Qld.  

I didn't see much coverage for ON. Maybe they should have spent more money on advertising, then they might have had some 'free' mentions in the news.

18 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I didn't see much coverage for ON. Maybe they should have spent more money on advertising, then they might have had some 'free' mentions in the news.

I think ON has always relied on free publicity from their staged controversies and I think the news has enough juvenile antics from the other side of the Pacific that ON just can't compete😜

Edited by ilikeanswers

7 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I think ON has always relied on free publicity from their staged controversies and I think the news has enough juvenile antics from the other side of the Pacific that ON just can't compete😜

I agree.  In addition, Pauline Hanson just appeared late in the campaign.  It appears her vote went to Labor, not LNP as usual. Looks like all those retired Seniors finally got a voice.

Edited by MMDown Under

38 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I thought their strategy was just to make outlandish statements, or take hypocritical actions, which ensured some free news coverage.

Freckles is standing down as leader of opposition in Qld. Pity, she would have been a refreshing change if her party had one the election.

On the weekend, post election results,  on the news she stated she was going to fight on in opposition for 4 year, quick turn around, family comes first.

Edited by NSWP