Keeping our morale up during the pandemic.

OzKiwiJJ

15 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Well    I have booked to go away.... more then 25km  in fact 230km from home   wow  such a long way..lol

Since as far as i have driven in the last 8 months   is 5.2km to Bunnings  now 260km   all at one time

It is like 50 trips to the supermarket.....wow....

To a pretty place near Halls Gap.....  but book out at the moment ... so have to wait until the 7th Dec

for 4 nights.... of R&R.                       All ready  started planing the dinner and lunch menus....

Along with which wine to take......

Cheers Don with G&T

Enjoy your trip Don. We have booked to visit Warrnambool next weekend from Friday to Sunday, a trip of 303 km from our house. Struggled to obtain a booking at our usual accommodation but they managed to fit us in. Looking forward to seeing my parents, we haven't seen them for nearly 5 months.

Leigh

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

Enjoy your trip Don. We have booked to visit Warrnambool next weekend from Friday to Sunday, a trip of 303 km from our house. Struggled to obtain a booking at our usual accommodation but they managed to fit us in. Looking forward to seeing my parents, we haven't seen them for nearly 5 months.

Leigh

Have a great time Leigh......   Yes a lot of places are booked out... that was the earliest we could go......

also will be dropping in on family in Ararat on the way home as haven't see them this year....

Don

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Just realised for the first time in seven years we won’t be cruising to Tasmania the first week of Christmas Holidays, no idea why ir just hit me, it has been cancelled for a while, but hit hard this morning.

I'm sad about Tassie also.  I stay on a farm south of Hobart every second year and attend  the Wooden Boat Festival.  My daughters are driving down in a camper van.  Tassie is one of those special Aussie places.  I had been to NZ before I visited Tassie for the first time and some-one told me I would be disappointed.  They couldn't have been more wrong. 

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Have a great long weekend Leigh.  Accommodation places in Vic must be happy with all the bookings.  Will be nice to see your parents. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We are still5 weeks of from our little get away in Parksville. It's winter but it will be nice to get away. We are just now looking at maybe going to the Yukon for our 20th Anniversary in July.

Tell us more about Parksville.  Yukon for your 20th anniversary in July sounds perfect.  I'd love to return to Yukon.  We hired a car from Skagway and drove to Whitehorse and Atlin in mid September and it snowed.  I'll always remember trying to clean all the mud from the hire car when we returned the car to Skagway at night.  

11 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Have a great long weekend Leigh.  Accommodation places in Vic must be happy with all the bookings.  Will be nice to see your parents. 

Thanks Marion, it will be wonderful to see my parents. My mother is now very frail and we don't know if this could be the last time we see her. We will not spend too much time with them each day as Mum becomes exhausted having people around. She loves having visitors but it is getting just too much for her. 

Leigh

14 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thanks Marion, it will be wonderful to see my parents. My mother is now very frail and we don't know if this could be the last time we see her. We will not spend too much time with them each day as Mum becomes exhausted having people around. She loves having visitors but it is getting just too much for her. 

Leigh

Does your mother still live in her own home?

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Does your mother still live in her own home?

Yes she does Marion, with my father and brother who has taken long service leave and will consider taking early retirement. They have home help and Dad is just wonderful around the house.with my brother's help.  My brother has also learnt to be a reasonable cook so he is able to do most of the cooking. So I know that they are eating mainly healthy meals. 

Leigh

13 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes she does Marion, with my father and brother who has taken long service leave and will consider taking early retirement. They have home help and Dad is just wonderful around the house.with my brother's help.  My brother has also learnt to be a reasonable cook so he is able to do most of the cooking. So I know that they are eating mainly healthy meals. 

Leigh

I love it when people manage to stay in their own homes, with help, as they age.  I've spent my life visiting nursing homes and no matter how good they are it is not like in your own home.  Agree eating health meals is the key to a healthy old age!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

..... one thing i realised is this would have been the longest we have stayed at home in the last 20+ years  which will be 353 days

I have slept in my own bed for the longest number of consecutive days I can ever remember. I normally travel a fair bit for work, we have cruised at least once a year since 2011, and spent quite a bit of time away from home, but not in 2020.

The last time we stayed away from home was I think for 1 night in Darling Harbour, back in January, other than that, home sweet home. Things are looking better for us to travel locally from maybe late Jan, once all the home renos are finished 🙂

2020 will be remembered for a very long time.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

I have slept in my own bed for the longest number of consecutive days I can ever remember. I normally travel a fair bit for work, we have cruised at least once a year since 2011, and spent quite a bit of time away from home, but not in 2020.

The last time we stayed away from home was I think for 1 night in Darling Harbour, back in January, other than that, home sweet home. Things are looking better for us to travel locally from maybe late Jan, once all the home renos are finished 🙂

I can relate to your comment. For the last 20 or so years we have travelled several times a year. Now we have been at home since 8th March, although we have spent a few weekends at the home of one of our sons. Great family time. 🙂

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

I feel like a real gadabout. Spent more than 2 months away from home.

1 week in Richmond (Epworth Hospital)

2 weeks in Camberwell (Rehab clinic)

8 weeks in Seddon (recuperating with family).

Well, not much of a holiday.

• Like 2

We had been in the habit of having trips or cruises 2-3 times a year. Our trip up to Tea Gardens the other week was the first since the Ruby Princess cruise we did last December. It was lovely to have a change of scene even though the weather wasn't the greatest.

• Like 1

We are also escaping Melbourne on Thursday. I wonder if we will feel a bump crossing the “Ring of Steel” just like the one you feel on a cruise ship when you cross the Equator or the International Dateline😀

Accomodation is heavily booked in regional Vic, but we are lucky and will be spending 5 nights with a friend who lives near Shepparton. We plan to also visit a friend in Kyabram and take a drive to Echuca to do a lunchtime cruise on a paddlesteamer.

After that I think we will drag out all the camping gear which has not left the garage since we started cruising a few years ago. A camping trip to Phillip Island and a visit to the penguins should be fun if we do it before school holidays start.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

We are also escaping Melbourne on Thursday. I wonder if we will feel a bump crossing the “Ring of Steel” just like the one you feel on a cruise ship when you cross the Equator or the International Dateline😀

Accomodation is heavily booked in regional Vic, but we are lucky and will be spending 5 nights with a friend who lives near Shepparton. We plan to also visit a friend in Kyabram and take a drive to Echuca to do a lunchtime cruise on a paddlesteamer.

After that I think we will drag out all the camping gear which has not left the garage since we started cruising a few years ago. A camping trip to Phillip Island and a visit to the penguins should be fun if we do it before school holidays start.

Happy days ahead.  Enjoy your travels.

14 hours ago, Docker123 said:

I feel like a real gadabout. Spent more than 2 months away from home.

1 week in Richmond (Epworth Hospital)

2 weeks in Camberwell (Rehab clinic)

8 weeks in Seddon (recuperating with family).

Well, not much of a holiday.

Hey, what do you want? 😁 You had your meals cooked for you, your laundry done and you were looked after. Maybe it wasn't as good as a cruise, but at the moment we have to take what we can get.

Joking aside, I am glad that you have been recuperating well. All the best. 💘

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mr walker said:

It is great to hear that lots of you are going to get away....

Mr Walker

One just checked my spreadsheet of holidays 

and it has just sunk in ..

.In the last 10 years  we have been away for 417 days 

I didn't know it was that many..... 

and now we would have spent 353 days  at home....

So you are right 2020 the year we didn't travel   anywhere....

A very sobbing thought.......  Don

Edited by getting older slowly

40 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

It is great to hear that lots of you are going to get away....

Mr Walker

One just checked my spreadsheet of holidays 

and it has just sunk in ..

.In the last 10 years  we have been away for 417 days 

I didn't know it was that many..... 

and now we would have spent 353 days  at home....

So you are right 2020 the year we didn't travel   anywhere....

A very sobbing thought.......  Don

Look on the bright side of life......

think of how much money you have saved...💲🥳💲😇💲

I know I was a nervous wreck at the beginning and I had no idea the spread of the virus would last so long,  I am sorry CC wiped the original thread about how we were managing during the pandemic, as it would show how far we've come.  

I am so proud of the Victorian Premier and his team what they have been able to achieve with the people of Vic.  Not everyone in Melbourne was happy to co-operate for the greater good, but the majority were!

Both Melbourne and Sydney have done extremely well.

Melbourne faced such a massive challenge with numbers increasing rapidly and the dedication of the majority of people to observing the lockdown rules has, hopefully, broken the infection cycle.

Sydney didn't have the severe increase in numbers but has managed to keep the virus under control without a lockdown. I must admit I was sceptical about that but hopefully we won't get too many more 'spot fire' outbreaks. I'd still like to see more people wearing masks in shopping malls, supermarkets and other busy shops.

23 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Both Melbourne and Sydney have done extremely well.

Melbourne faced such a massive challenge with numbers increasing rapidly and the dedication of the majority of people to observing the lockdown rules has, hopefully, broken the infection cycle.

Sydney didn't have the severe increase in numbers but has managed to keep the virus under control without a lockdown. I must admit I was sceptical about that but hopefully we won't get too many more 'spot fire' outbreaks. I'd still like to see more people wearing masks in shopping malls, supermarkets and other busy shops.

I agree Sydney and all States have done extremely well, in their own way.  Qld. was very pro-active shutting all nursing and disabled homes in areas of SEQld. as soon as  positive cases of the virus were discovered.  Therefore Qld. had no deaths in aged and disabled care.  Old was very good at contact tracing (easier in smaller populations).  Even northern GC got one case, which was as close to home, as I wanted to get. 

Another happy dance for Vic.  Old CHO has announced Vic may be opened up to Queenslanders, without quarantine, if Vic continues to have reduced numbers of positive cases.  It will be reviewed at the end of the month. 

She also announced, with less colds in summer, people should be on the look out for diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting.  If people have these symptoms they should get tested.

I have just come back from a few days at Merimbula, 2.5 hr drive south of me, I go down down there now and again for R&R. A favourite holiday destination for Victorians as well as NSW and ACT people.  The local hospitality industry is gearing up for 'The Victoria Invasion' they are calling it' from 23 November when NSW/Vic border reopens.  The owners of the motor inn I stayed at said they are just about fully booked out from end of Nov to end of Jan as are most of the other accommodation venues. I hear the cash registers ringing in the clubs, eating places and shops too, they have done it tough.