Food Predictions?

Runaway Parent

Let's talk about something other than cancellation predictions!

Do you think Carnival will spend this off time considering a new dining room menu? A new Chef's Table menu? 

I'd love to see a change! I really enjoyed the changes they made a few years ago to the dining room menu, but then they seemed to slip back into the same old menu items again. It's like they kept a few of the new ones, but went back to the old standbys. We like to eat in the dining room, but I'm just tired of the same menu choices. (This is just my opinion--no need to tell me I can eat somewhere else. We do.) 

Hi

Without seeming too negative, I think that at this time, they would dedicate few resources on things that may or may not be required in the future. First you would have to suppose that individual/s who normally work on projects like these are still employed. 

5 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

It seems like that would be a lot of additional work when they start back up getting everyone to learn new menus. I would be surprised if they make major changes.

Unless it’s limited menus with fewer options available from the same menu previously used in an effort to alleviate some food costs 

Edited by xDisconnections

3 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Unless it’s limited menus with fewer options available from the same menu previously used in an effort to alleviate some food costs 

I could see that. One of their covid-19 protocols could be doing smaller paper menus they throw away for people who won't use the app. I've seen that at restaurants.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

Just a guess on my part, but I suspect we will see "cutbacks".  No doubt they are going to have to do lots of belt tightening, and I suspect food will be one area they will somehow try to save money.  Just as long as they don't take away my crème Brule

• Like 1

I am curious to see what Carnival and other cruise lines do with their buffets. We have been to several restaurants, most recently Ruby Tuesday the other night, where the salad bar was still self serve, albeit with two big changes. One, you had to wear plastic gloves (provided by the restaurant) when going to the salad bar and two, you had to wear a mask. These are two changes cruise lines could easily implement in my opinion. 

25 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am curious to see what Carnival and other cruise lines do with their buffets. We have been to several restaurants, most recently Ruby Tuesday the other night, where the salad bar was still self serve, albeit with two big changes. One, you had to wear plastic gloves (provided by the restaurant) when going to the salad bar and two, you had to wear a mask. These are two changes cruise lines could easily implement in my opinion. 

I saw a Golden Corral when I was traveling that was reopening so I went there to support them. They continued operating buffet style as opposed to cafeteria style and handed customers the plates. They also provided gloves that had to be worn while getting food off the buffet.  I could also see Carnival going that route. On a side note it was the best quality food I ever have eaten at a Golden Corral.

My workplace uses the same purveyor's as Carnival in Long Beach. There are some things that have changed the availability of many items since in California indoor dining has been banned. Beef and chicken have shot up in price. Chicken and pork is in short supply. The reason they have become more expensive is because there is less supply. In the vegetable section, there is plenty of lettuce, carrots, beans, peas, & broccoli. Onions and tomato's are on the shortage list. You will be happy to hear the ingredients for chocolate melting cake, and escargot (including garlic) are in plentiful supply. 

They have some very talented cooks on these ships, and they will create tasty dishes to delight the most critical palate. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, chicchic325 said:

I would love to see them add a vegan option to their main dining room. It would add the most bang to their buck for flexitarians and people with allergies. 

It would behoove Carnival to look at ways to improve their services to lure people people back to cruising. 

.05% of the population is vegan, so no. They already cater to all special diets.  Carnival is a mass market cruise line. They have to appeal to the broad market, not a .05% niche.

• Like 3

None of us know what will/won't happen. 

I always wonder about people that post that they're bored with the choices...I adore food of all types, and I've yet to be bored on any ship by the MDR or buffet options.  Have a sense that comes from the I don't eat, (insert broad category of food/foods here) crowd.  Thank-you to the posters that said no to the vegan expanded menu.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

From searching, I learned "Flexitarian is a portmanteau of the words flexible and vegetarian, signifying its followers' less strict diet pattern when compared to other vegetarian pattern diets."

Thank you!

3 hours ago, edspec said:

None of us know what will/won't happen. 

I always wonder about people that post that they're bored with the choices...I adore food of all types, and I've yet to be bored on any ship by the MDR or buffet options.  Have a sense that comes from the I don't eat, (insert broad category of food/foods here) crowd.  Thank-you to the posters that said no to the vegan expanded menu.  

Were you around for shrimpgate here? 

12 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I’m going to miss choosing all the toppings at Guy’s, since I’m sure it won’t be self-serve like it used to be...

I "go wild" and enjoy burgers with lots of toppings.  This is something I never ever get to do at home (nor would do if something healthy were available).  If this comes to be....I'm gonna miss them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

For me, that's a new one as well.

From searching, I learned "Flexitarian is a portmanteau of the words flexible and vegetarian, signifying its followers' less strict diet pattern when compared to other vegetarian pattern diets."

Cruise lines can't possibly offer something for all the diet du jour and passing fads that come along. They certainly aren't going to make any radical changes. I still haven't forgiven Princess for altering the set dining times. That is one way to get more people to move to anytime.

10 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I "go wild" and enjoy burgers with lots of toppings.  This is something I never ever get to do at home (nor would do if something healthy were available).  If this comes to be....I'm gonna miss them.

Well, you can do that at home if it’s something you like. Plus, there are so many awesome burger restaurants in NYC where you’re located. Hopefully they’ll be open for dining soon like they are down here.