Volendam leaving HAL next?

DaveOKC

Someone posted today that their cruise for early 2022 on the Volendam was just cancelled.  I heard a rumor of this also, so perhaps it is the next to leave the group???

Would be a shame, as we have sailed on her 3 times and really loved that ship.

It could be their cruise was canceled since the Volendam is supposed to be doing the Grand South America from January to March, 2022.  I just looked on the HAL site and it shows a cruise ending in  Ft. Lauderdale on January 4 (about the time the Grand South American would be beginning) and the next cruise is March 19 from Ft. Lauderdale.  This missing dates normally would cover the time of the Grand South America.  HAL may be finalizing plans for the ship and the itinerary.

I have no definite information, and this is just speculation, based on what has been said in the past and the information on the HAL site.  I certainly hope that is the case, as I would also hate to lose any more ships from the fleet.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, woodinville cruisers said:

The email that I received cancelling our 2022 Sea of Cortez cruise on the Volendam states that the 2021 Grand South America is being moved to 2022.

That agrees with what I had read, and the missing dates coincide with the time frame for the 2022 Grand South America.

This is what I received for Panama Canal in 2022

September 22, 2020

Dear Valued Guest,

I hope this finds you safe and healthy during these unprecedented times. All of us at Holland America Line are looking forward to the future when we will once again be able to deliver exceptional service and experiences to our loyal guests around the world.

During this pause in our business, we have continued to closely monitor the progression of COVID-19, global travel and port restrictions, and guidance from public health authorities. In a review of our options and in light of the current world travel situation, we have made the difficult decision to delay Volendam’s 2021 Grand South America & Antarctica voyage to 2022. As a result, we must cancel your upcoming voyage (booking  ) on Volendam

As compensation for this change to your travel plans, we are offering you bonus Future Cruise Credits (FCC), which provide tremendous value for you to plan another trip of your choice.

If your booking has been paid in full, you will receive a Future Cruise Credit for 125% of the base cruise fare paid. These credits may be applied to the cruise fare of a new booking. If your booking has not been paid in full, you will receive double the amount deposited (up to the base cruise fare amount) as a Future Cruise Credit This credit will waive the required deposit on your next booking on a voyage up to 29 days in length.

The amount received by Holland America Line in excess of the base cruise fare can be transferred to a new booking or will be refunded to the method of payment used for the original purchase. The Future Cruise Credits are valid for 12 months from the date of issue and may be used to book sailings departing through December 31, 2022.

If you are interested in using your bonus Future Cruise Credits on one of Koningsdam’s 7-Day 2022 Mexico itineraries, those voyages are currently open for sale and can be viewed on our website. Additional 2022 Mexico and Panama Canal voyages will be available in the near future.  If you are interested in rebooking to one of these voyages, please contact your travel advisor or Holland America Line to place a Future Cruise Request with us and we will contact you when they are available to book.

If any portion of your travel was not booked through Holland America Line, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply. Most airlines and other travel-related services such as hotels, transportation, and tours are allowing refunds or waiving change fees due to COVID-19; please work directly with those operators regarding their charges. The above terms are not applicable to guests booked on charter sailings.

Should you prefer to decline the bonus Future Cruise Credit and receive a lower-value refund, you may request a refund of all monies paid to Holland America Line by completing the Cancellation Preferences form before October 22, 2020. The full Future Cruise Credit Terms & Conditions can also be found there. Refunds will be reimbursed to the original form of payment and will include all non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line.

Please note that due to the unprecedented volume of bookings impacted by cancellations, we ask for your patience in affording us the time to work through processing the refunds and FCCs. We are working hard to make sure every booking is handled accurately and efficiently.

A-

• Like 1

I received the same email canceling my Jan 2, 2022 Volendam 10-day Sea of Cortez cruise.  I don't know what HAL is doing, but I think it's reasonable to wonder about the future of the Volendam.  After all, two of its sister ships have been sold and we know Carnival is not done paring its fleets.  I feel for the cruise lines and especially for the crews, but it's annoying that HAL just offered this cruise for sale with multiple promotions.  I booked it a month ago. Not interested in their larger, more crowded ships.

1 hour ago, Lido - Lanai said:

This is exactly how unfounded rumors start......

Not really, they are dumping ships, so it's a possibility that this one goes along with the Zaandam, because those are the only 2 sisters left and if you look at Alan's post above they are pushing 7 days on the Koningsdam to replace it, which is ridiculous..

• Like 1

We received two cancellations for Volendam today, one for the 74 day South America/Antartica in January 2021 and the other for Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesa Islands for February 2022 on the Volendam.  The February 2022 voyage was changed to the Zuiderdam.Sounds like Volendam is being sold.

I got my cancellation for my April 2022 Mexican Rivera cruise on the Volendam. That cruise replaced my April 2021 Maasdam Mexican Rivera cruise. So I've now had 3 cruises all cancelled by HAL, and still not a penny of refund. My TA was sailing Oct. 17.The new HAL philosophy is totally screw the solo passenger and only pay back the credit card refunds and never respond to emails. I am rethinking my HAL loyalty at this point. They aren't even offering the good deal they did for the Maasdam. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mimippsb said:

We received two cancellations for Volendam today, one for the 74 day South America/Antartica in January 2021 and the other for Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesa Islands for February 2022 on the Volendam.  The February 2022 voyage was changed to the Zuiderdam.Sounds like Volendam is being sold.

Yes, I am afraid you might be right, which may be  bye bye to the Zaandam too.

We're booked on Volendam in October/November 2021 on the 45 day roundtrip South Pacific cruise out of San Diego and haven't received any notification of it being cancelled or moved to a different ship (yet, anyway) and it still shows up on the HAL site although I know that's not always a guarantee.

Edited by zelker

Today got a notice that Volendam Grand Voyage is cancelled  1-4-2021 74 day .said they will move it to 2022 Volendam Grand ,same cabin same $ new booking #. More Info to come.Not happy but not surprized.Also $500. added OBC to room.

Edited by cricketcj1
added obc offer

52 minutes ago, zelker said:

We're booked on Volendam in October/November 2021 on the 45 day roundtrip South Pacific cruise out of San Diego and haven't received any notification of it being cancelled or moved to a different ship (yet, anyway) and it still shows up on the HAL site although I know that's not always a guarantee.

We are booked on this cruise also. We haven't received any notification of cancellation. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Cheers, Denise

• Like 1

I think that we are all reading this differently.  The South America Jan 2021 was cancelled, which we mostly thought it would be, and that same cruise is being changed to the Volendam, South America, January 2022.  Any cruise that was previously scheduled for February 2022 on the Volendam would obviously need to be on another ship.  We can't have one ship in two different oceans.  I do not see the Volendam as being sold, at least not right now.

This is the way that I am reading this.  Does anyone else see it this way?  We can all speculate but no one really has the answer.

Happy Sailing whenever it will be.

Edited by S&B
  • Like 6

Volendam is NOT being sold. Neither is Zaandam.  For now HAL is done with selling ships. 

The cancellation of Volendam’s January through April cruises is 100% expected. She is being redeployed to the Grand South America during this time period (usually about 77 days).  The Zaandam was originally supposed to do the Grand South America in 2022 (though it was never published) and with the sale of Rotterdam and Amsterdam the Zaandam was redeployed to the Grand World for 2022. The Volendam’s Mexico/Hawaii/South Pacific/Panama Canal itineraries were published 6+ months ago Before all this began.  Zuiderdam will be taking over much of what Volendam was scheduled to do in this timeframe. 

It’s like a big game of dominoes. They are just rearranging them. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 5

Volendam and Zaandam are not going anywhere! Carnival Corp has stated they are dropping eighteen ships, seventeen of which have been identified. No. 18 is coming from another brand besides HAL. Let's not start unsubstantiated rumors that get some folks' knickers in a twist

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

The Zaandam is currently in drydock which I'm sure they wouldn't do if the ship were leaving the fleet.  I am hoping they put the big flat screen TVs on the wall like they did on the Volendam.

I think the TV upgrade is very likely as is the conversion of the Mix Piano Bar to Billboard Onboard.  Additionally they may continue the retrofit of ocean view rooms that still have tubs to shower only.  Zaandam is not getting Lanais (I doubt if she ever will).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Volendam is NOT being sold. Neither is Zaandam.  For now HAL is done with selling ships. 

The cancellation of Volendam’s January through April cruises is 100% expected. She is being redeployed to the Grand South America during this time period (usually about 77 days).  The Zaandam was originally supposed to do the Grand South America in 2022 (though it was never published) and with the sale of Rotterdam and Amsterdam the Zaandam was redeployed to the Grand World for 2022. The Volendam’s Mexico/Hawaii/South Pacific/Panama Canal itineraries were published 6+ months ago Before all this began.  Zuiderdam will be taking over much of what Volendam was scheduled to do in this timeframe. 

It’s like a big game of dominoes. They are just rearranging them. 

Since I have been booked on Volendam's hawaii/ tahiti cruise for the past 6 months I don't feel like this a big game of dominoes.  It feels more like a pile of crap and I just got dumped on!!!    If Zuiderdam is so great how come she isn't doing the south american cruise??  

7 minutes ago, Hflors said:

Since I have been booked on Volendam's hawaii/ tahiti cruise for the past 6 months I don't feel like this a big game of dominoes.  It feels more like a pile of crap and I just got dumped on!!!    If Zuiderdam is so great how come she isn't doing the south american cruise??  

One simple answer - She cannot travel up the Amazon River all the way to Manaus, which is one of the highlights of the Grand South America sailing each year.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Volendam and Zaandam are not going anywhere! Carnival Corp has stated they are dropping eighteen ships, seventeen of which have been identified. No. 18 is coming from another brand besides HAL. Let's not start unsubstantiated rumors that get some folks' knickers in a twist

Thanks for trying ...

• Like 5