CLIA announcement - 21st September 2020

Huggy79

All of the health protocols sounds great and should give me confidence to book my next cruise. However, whilst the emphasis on wearing masks and social distancing sounds just what I need to resume cruising, how are the cruise line going to police the rules? What will they do if a passenger refuses to wear a mask or wears it incorrectly (mostly applies to people who refuse to cover their nose)? What will they do with passengers that refuse to socially distance? What about those passengers who refuse the wash/disinfect their hands? How will they identify the refusniks who do not believe that there is a virus out there?

Nothing (or very little) is done on land to police these excellent measures, so what will the CLIA be doing differently?

On 9/24/2020 at 9:30 AM, Huggy79 said:

All of the health protocols sounds great and should give me confidence to book my next cruise. However, whilst the emphasis on wearing masks and social distancing sounds just what I need to resume cruising, how are the cruise line going to police the rules? What will they do if a passenger refuses to wear a mask or wears it incorrectly (mostly applies to people who refuse to cover their nose)? What will they do with passengers that refuse to socially distance? What about those passengers who refuse the wash/disinfect their hands? How will they identify the refusniks who do not believe that there is a virus out there?

Nothing (or very little) is done on land to police these excellent measures, so what will the CLIA be doing differently?

Howdy @Huggy79!! emo22.gif

Welcome back to the Cruise Critic message boards! I see it has been a while since you have posted. 

Thank you for your new thread on the Cruise Blogs & Websites forum. 👍  However, your post is off-topic here. This forum is for members to share their personal travelogue-type cruise-related blogs or websites with their fellow Cruise Critic members. 

To help you out, I have moved your thread to the Ask a Cruise Question forum where it will be on-topic.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

31 minutes ago, mom says said:

Hopefully anyone refusing to adhere to the new policies would be confined to their cabin until they could be thrown off the ship at the next port.  But until a cruise actually happens it's all speculation.

I get what OP is saying. If 'regular' crew is expected to do this, I'm guessing it will happen the way chair hog disputes are settled. Or are they going to have some staff higher up but not real high up who have some oomph?

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Hopefully anyone refusing to adhere to the new policies would be confined to their cabin until they could be thrown off the ship at the next port.  But until a cruise actually happens it's all speculation.

Well that discussion has been had ad nauseum on several threads in the last few months. The only fact we have is that no one (I suspect even the cruise lines) knows yet.

4 hours ago, mom says said:

MSC is doing exactly that.  One family was booted off when they broke the rules about shore excursions

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

MSC is doing exactly that.  One family was booted off when they broke the rules about shore excursions

they did take a hard time on the family that left the short excursion. However, I’ve read a live review from One of these sailings and who said these masks issues are a struggle and not well enforced. 

I agree that this will like be problematic to enforce and those that wear them low not covering there noses will get a pass. Those that have them wrapped on their chin may be spoken to but will simply plead that 1. It fell down, 2. They couldn’t breathe, or 3. They were just eating or drinking and forgot to put it up. Then nothing else will happen.

If you haven't check in here lately there were several threads regarding draft protocols that are intended to make the ship safe.  While you raise good question - enforcement - who knows how many people would be willing to sail under these protocols.  Perhaps a couple who only dines by themselves and spends much of the day reading would find them acceptable.   For many however the cruise ship events and rituals that encourage socialization would be eliminated.   

Personally, I don't think that there are enough people who would be willing to pay the higher prices and endure these restrictions to make it economically feasible. 

12 hours ago, crazyank said:

Not so much.  According to a live trip report recently posted on the MSC board....

In the meantime let's complain, just a little though!

We find that MSC health security stategy, in theory, is well done, the problem, as often, is how the rules are enforced. We saw many people everywhere going around with masks not properly worn or not worn at all, sometimes passing by an officer or supervisor meant you were asked to remedy that situation but we saw many times that be ignored by them

Anyone who chooses to cruise with the expectation that there will be strict adherence & enforcement of mask protocols is bound to be disappointed. 

5 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

You folks DO know, I trust, that there are cruises going on already, in Europe.

Europe is a different situation.  Travel to another country is often a weekend car or train trip and not a long-haul overseas flight.  For some countries like Norway ships are also used for A-B transportation.    In the US somebody who lives in Chicago could fly to Florida, test positive at the pier, then have to quarantine in the embarkation port.  At least that's one scenerio.

11 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

If you haven't check in here lately there were several threads regarding draft protocols that are intended to make the ship safe.  While you raise good question - enforcement - who knows how many people would be willing to sail under these protocols.  Perhaps a couple who only dines by themselves and spends much of the day reading would find them acceptable.   For many however the cruise ship events and rituals that encourage socialization would be eliminated.   

Personally, I don't think that there are enough people who would be willing to pay the higher prices and endure these restrictions to make it economically feasible. 

There is a possibility that the cruise industry will fold.

1 minute ago, smalltimecruiser100 said:

Until the 2nd wave hits and then we'll see what happens

The cases are already rising and there are some wicked predictions for before the end of year. Not a "surge" but changes in people's behavior.

1 minute ago, clo said:

The cases are already rising and there are some wicked predictions for before the end of year. Not a "surge" but changes in people's behavior.

Yes, cases are rising all over, some slower than others but not dropping. As far as people's behavior, it can only get worse. Why? Unfortunately, by not wearing a mask which really is no big deal to wear one unless you have breathing problems and can't wear one or very young children. the virus will keep spreading. As far as a safe vaccine, the approval has to come from science!

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

I honestly don't understand this constant referral to a vaccine being only 50% effective.   At even 50% effective it would be a game changer.  I think our forum scientists are off on this one.  

I agree with it being a game changer. But with no viral treatments at this point, I think masks etc. are going to be required on ships. Simple equation.