MSC Meraviglia November Cancellations?

dolphin1313

I was just looking at the MSC website and they have listed that the MSC Meraviglia November 1 - 30, 2020 cruises are cancelled.

Here's the link:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/cruise-itinerary-changes-and-cancellations/msc-meraviglia

I haven't seen anything other than it listed here.

It states the following:

NOVEMBER 1 - 30, 2020 CANCELED CRUISES

Guests who have paid in full will automatically receive a 125% Future Cruise Credit (sent to guest or travel advisor email on file). Your Future Cruise Credit will be emailed to you in November. If you prefer to request a refund, please call us at 1-866-420-3584 no later than December 15th to request your refund.

• Thanks 1

Not unexpected, but I am sorry for all of those effected by this cancellation, those scheduled for November 2020.  I am scheduled on the December 12th sailing of the MSC Meraviglia.  I have begun looking at what 125% FCC actually means for me.  It amounts to less than $100 per person.  I see some Meravigilia cruises in April that I might consider, if mine is cancelled.  Does the future cruise credit go to onboard credit if there is extra?

2 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

Not unexpected, but I am sorry for all of those effected by this cancellation, those scheduled for November 2020.  I am scheduled on the December 12th sailing of the MSC Meraviglia.  I have begun looking at what 125% FCC actually means for me.  It amounts to less than $100 per person.  I see some Meravigilia cruises in April that I might consider, if mine is cancelled.  Does the future cruise credit go to onboard credit if there is extra?

The FCC (Future Cruise Credit) doesn't go to OBC (On-Board Credit).  However you can pre-order some extras like drink package, spa treatments, etc.  If anything is left over, it goes to a FCC.  The worst part is that you can't use more than one FCC on a single booking.  At least that's been my experience to this point.

Maybe I am overly optimistic, but I don't read that as saying that Nov 1- 30 cruises are canceled, but how pax on cruises that are canceled in that time period will be treated as to options.  I find it hard to square this as an meaning all cruises in that timeframe are canceled because below it on the msc page is this:

WINTER 2020/2021 IMPACTED CARIBBEAN CRUISES:

November 3, 2020 - 5-day cruise from Miami
November 8, 2020 - April 11, 2021 from Miami
*MSC Meraviglia will now offer 7-night cruises from Miami departing every Saturday, doing Eastern and Western Caribbean. Guests can move their cruise one day earlier, with MSC Meraviglia now departing Saturdays vs. Sundays.

I'm sure clarity will emerge at some point but I don't think we are there yet.  So I'll keep 🤞

Edited by Toofarfromthesea

21 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Maybe I am overly optimistic, but I don't read that as saying that Nov 1- 30 cruises are canceled...

I'm sorry to say this, but I do think you are being overly optimistic. CCL, NCL, and RCL have all cancelled cruises through November 30th. I can't imagine MSC will be the only one sailing.

55 minutes ago, dolphin1313 said:

NOVEMBER 1 - 30, 2020 CANCELED CRUISES

Guests who have paid in full will automatically receive a 125% Future Cruise Credit (sent to guest or travel advisor email on file). Your Future Cruise Credit will be emailed to you in November. If you prefer to request a refund, please call us at 1-866-420-3584 no later than December 15th to request your refund.

This makes zero sense. They send you the FCC in November but you have until December 15th to request a refund? And be ready~ If you were using a FCC on a November cruise, I'm betting you will not be allowed to turn that back into cash.  Once you select FCC I suspect FCC will be your only option moving forward. I could be wrong, but that is my suspicion as more and more restrictions are being placed on how FCC's are handled.

All the ships with US based itineraries were cancelled through end of November.  Poesia Caribbean sailings are also cancelled through November.  Other ships have new cancellations that vary date wise.  Grandiosa and Magnifica cancellations for non-Schengen bookings are out to December 20th.

Edited by Até

12 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm sorry to say this, but I do think you are being overly optimistic. CCL, NCL, and RCL have all cancelled cruises through November 30th. I can't imagine MSC will be the only one sailing.

This makes zero sense. They send you the FCC in November but you have until December 15th to request a refund? And be ready~ If you were using a FCC on a November cruise, I'm betting you will not be allowed to turn that back into cash.  Once you select FCC I suspect FCC will be your only option moving forward. I could be wrong, but that is my suspicion as more and more restrictions are being placed on how FCC's are handled.

On the email that MSC sent me for my FCC, it states the following:

Your Future Cruise Credit certificate can be used on any sailing departing on or before Dec. 31, 2021 and applied at the time of booking toward stateroom upgrades, specialty dining, beverage packages, spa treatments and more. (It excludes government taxes & fees and prepaid items on your original booking, which will be refunded separately to the original form of payment within 60 days.) As an added level of comfort, if the Future Cruise Credit is unused by that date, you will automatically receive a full refund equal to the original amount paid.

1 minute ago, dolphin1313 said:

On the email that MSC sent me for my FCC, it states the following:

Your Future Cruise Credit certificate can be used on any sailing departing on or before Dec. 31, 2021 and applied at the time of booking toward stateroom upgrades, specialty dining, beverage packages, spa treatments and more. (It excludes government taxes & fees and prepaid items on your original booking, which will be refunded separately to the original form of payment within 60 days.) As an added level of comfort, if the Future Cruise Credit is unused by that date, you will automatically receive a full refund equal to the original amount paid.

That is pretty typical language, although I believe other lines are allowing FCC's to be used until December 31, 2022. 

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Maybe I am overly optimistic, but I don't read that as saying that Nov 1- 30 cruises are canceled, but how pax on cruises that are canceled in that time period will be treated as to options.  I find it hard to square this as an meaning all cruises in that timeframe are canceled because below it on the msc page is this:

WINTER 2020/2021 IMPACTED CARIBBEAN CRUISES:

November 3, 2020 - 5-day cruise from Miami
November 8, 2020 - April 11, 2021 from Miami
*MSC Meraviglia will now offer 7-night cruises from Miami departing every Saturday, doing Eastern and Western Caribbean. Guests can move their cruise one day earlier, with MSC Meraviglia now departing Saturdays vs. Sundays.

I'm sure clarity will emerge at some point but I don't think we are there yet.  So I'll keep 🤞

I just went to the main USA website and it would let me purchase a balcony on the 11/7 mera sailing. (Obviously I didn't complete the purchase, but it let me pick a cabin. 

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

That is correct. I was told that if my December cruise is canceled that the FCC stays with the booking number and there is no refund option except to run out the clock to 12/31/2021. So I hope they don't extend the FCC clock for this new round of cancelations!

2 hours ago, Até said:

All the ships with US based itineraries were cancelled through end of November.  Poesia Caribbean sailings are also cancelled through November.  Other ships have new cancellations that vary date wise.  Grandiosa and Magnifica cancellations for non-Schengen bookings are out to December 20th.

11/28 & 11/29 Poesia sailing are also still showing for sale on MSC USA. 

13 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I believe that to be true also, but @Até lost me when he mentioned Grandiosa and Magnifica cancellations until December 20th. 

I cannot remember if this was announced earlier or was part of the October 6th extensions.  I thought Grandiosa and Magnifica cruises were previously only cancelled for US bookings through October 31st and I believe certain non-Schengen residents were allowed to move to or book the new itineraries for November and December.   I thought the cancellation dates for Grandiosa and Magnifica bookings by non-Schengen residents were just now extended through December 20th and 18th respectively.  The ships are still sailing but I think certain people did still have bookings that are now being cancelled because of their residency.  I've not been watching these restrictions closely so could be off on these details.

MSC GRANDIOSA CRUISE UPDATES

...Therefore, for guests booked through MSC Cruises USA we are also cancelling bookings through Dec. 20, 2020. Guests who have paid in full automatically receive a 125% Future Cruise Credit (sent to guest or travel advisor email on file). If you prefer to request a refund, please call us at 1-866-420-3584 between November 16 - December 15, 2020 to request your refund.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

You were right and I was wrong.  I just got the email from my TA.  Full refund or 125% FCC.  I'm taking the refund.  TA will handle everything.

☹️

6 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

You were right and I was wrong.  I just got the email from my TA.  Full refund or 125% FCC.  I'm taking the refund.  TA will handle everything.

☹️

I'm sorry :(.  I know you were excited for this trip. I do believe that taking the refund is wise. We'll all get sailing eventually and just imagine what a glorious day that will be!! 

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm sorry :(.  I know you were excited for this trip. I do believe that taking the refund is wise. We'll all get sailing eventually and just imagine what a glorious day that will be!! 

Thanks for the condolences.  My next thing to be hopeful about is our booked week at an all-inclusive in Cancun late this January.

What are your thoughts on how far out to go for booking a cruise replacement?  I'm thinking middle of Sept. 2021 on.  I also will be looking at a separate late January 2022 MSC Seashore Caribbean cruise.

Now I have to go deal with canceling the flights and hotel.  Better luck next time.

4 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Thanks for the condolences.  My next thing to be hopeful about is our booked week at an all-inclusive in Cancun late this January.

What are your thoughts on how far out to go for booking a cruise replacement?  I'm thinking middle of Sept. 2021 on.  I also will be looking at a separate late January 2022 MSC Seashore Caribbean cruise.

Now I have to go deal with canceling the flights and hotel.  Better luck next time.

Cancun is a fun time! I always end up more rested from an all-inclusive than I do a cruise, with the exception of Cancun because there is a lot to do there! Let's keep an eye on what the hurricane does. If you need to switch resorts, I've been to the Cancun/PlayaCar/Tulum area a few dozen times over the last 20 years and would be more than happy to recommend something. 

You are asking my opinion and I'm no expert, but I think Sept of 2021 is reasonably safe. My personal belief is that cruises won't resemble anything of the past until the second or third quarter of 2021. With that said, I don't have anything planned until January of 2022. We are doing Hawaii and revisiting some of our favorite National Park trips while we wait for cruising to resume. Hopefully Canada will open back up to us as we'd love to get back to Banff/Jasper also. 

Now we can cross our fingers that CAncun fairs well from Delta. I haven't read the news yet today but it looked like a powerful storm yesterday and the beaches in Cancun are all man made. After Wilma, the beach was entirely rebuilt using off shore sand dredging equipment. 

All the best to you! 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

18 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I've been to the Cancun/PlayaCar/Tulum area a few dozen times over the last 20 years and would be more than happy to recommend something. 

Hi, BB,

We've never been to an AI, so I wouldn't even know where to start.

I'd appreciate your recommendations.

18 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

18 minutes ago, mafig said:

Hi, BB,

We've never been to an AI, so I wouldn't even know where to start.

I'd appreciate your recommendations.

I'm not Bermuda, and I don't have the extensive expanse of knowledge about the other offerings.  But I can say that we have thoroughly enjoyed Finest Playa Mujeres (I've been there once with the whole extended family of 9 adults and my wife and adult daughter were there another time) which is where we booked, again, for this January.  

We are 'relaxation' vacationers not 'adventure' vacationers, so I can't speak to the outside the resort activities.  I'm sure Bermuda knows a lot more about that than me.

What I liked is they have 3 options.  Regular, Excellence Club, and Finest Club.  Excellence Club is upscale room, amenities, and features in an Aduly Only setting.  This is what we did on the 2 previous visits.  Finest Club is the same up-scale stuff, but for families with kids.  Since we now have a grandbaby we booked into Finest Club for this January.   After a lifetime of living below our income, we enjoy being able to book more upscale experiences like these, Yacht Club on MSC, higher class cabins on River cruises, etc.

I bet if you put a little more detail on what you are looking for, BB will be able to advise you better.

• Like 1