Alaska Eclipse or Solstice, Hubbard or Dawes? Vancouver or Seattle?

flarad

I have a different take on Seattle. My earliest memory of living in Seattle was our 1962 earthquake. I still plan on go to the theater in Seattle. We are dropped off/pick up after the theater. The area where we have had unrest is in the Capital Hill/Broadway area of Seattle. Capital Hill is a 1.64 mile area of Seattle's 83.73 miles of area. Like many areas of any large city their are areas that I dont go to between 10pm and 6am. If your looking to party and young or young at heart Capital Hill is great. Just be careful.

13 hours ago, eltigre said:

I understand that at the present time Eclipse is still scheduled for refurbish in April before the May Alaska sailing season starts. First Celebrity & first Alaska for us. I HOPE!

Is that refurb date still accurate?  I haven't seen anything beyond "soon".

5 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

The area where we have had unrest is in the Capital Hill/Broadway area of Seattle.

Read this post after lifting and shifting out of Seattle.  Too late now so I guess we will be staying the night there before the cruise.  Any suggestions on what areas to stay?  I did want to see the glass factory and a few things there but not if that is where the unrest is.  So sad.

M

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 15TH, 2020    Celebrity Eclipse was meant to go into drydock for her refit on October 27, 2020. Instead, she will begin her refurbishment on March 7th, 2021.

The work is expected to take a month, meaning that a full four weeks of cruises in March and April, 2021 will need to be cancelled.

Celebrity Cruises apologised for the inconvenience the schedule change has caused and is in the process of contacting affected passengers to re-accommodate them.

The rescheduled refurbishment means that Celebrity Eclipse will be going into drydock a year after the cruise line’s new Edge-class ship Celebrity Apex is launched, which will give Celebrity the added capacity needed to withdraw Eclipse from service for a month.

The reschedule also means that passengers have more time next year to enjoy the 2,850-passenger Solstice-class vessel. Celebrity Cruises has added two new cruise itineraries in Asia for 2020.

26 minutes ago, eltigre said:

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 15TH, 2020    Celebrity Eclipse was meant to go into drydock for her refit on October 27, 2020. Instead, she will begin her refurbishment on March 7th, 2021.

The work is expected to take a month, meaning that a full four weeks of cruises in March and April, 2021 will need to be cancelled.

Celebrity Cruises apologised for the inconvenience the schedule change has caused and is in the process of contacting affected passengers to re-accommodate them.

The rescheduled refurbishment means that Celebrity Eclipse will be going into drydock a year after the cruise line’s new Edge-class ship Celebrity Apex is launched, which will give Celebrity the added capacity needed to withdraw Eclipse from service for a month.

The reschedule also means that passengers have more time next year to enjoy the 2,850-passenger Solstice-class vessel. Celebrity Cruises has added two new cruise itineraries in Asia for 2020.

Should we assume that you are a TA with advance information as you a quoting a document bearing tomorrow's date?

Glad to hear that Eclipse will be back ready for service for our 1st X cruise in August.  We are doing the Vancouver R/T, which is a first for me, even though we have been on 4 Alaska cruises.  So looking forward to it!  We booked a Celebrity Suite and put the grown/married kids in Sky suites.  I am looking forward to comparing X to NCL Haven and MSC Yacht Club.

Can anyone tell me if you have to buy passes to the Spa?  I didn't see anything about it on my cruise planner, but maybe that is because we haven't made final payment?  How much do they usually run?  We really enjoy the Thermal Suite on NCL, so hoping it is a similar, wonderful experience!  (And fingers crossed that we are back to cruising with gusto by then!)

1 hour ago, eltigre said:

Interesting.  If you are in fact a TA and have some of this advance notification, are there any other updates to share?  I have Connie scheduled for next year and I have heard nothing about her refurbishment being rescheduled (and hopefully she won't be sold!)

No I am not "in the know" The post was from the other side of the world where it is tomorrow for us! I had heard it from several sources and this seemed to confirm it. That being said, there is nothing certain in the  realm  of travel anymore.

4 hours ago, eltigre said:

This looks suspiciously like an old release from 2019. At that time it would have been done in Asia as she returned from her 2021 Home Port out of Melbourne. The last I heard Eclipse and Millennium are both in San Diego and the entire 2020-2021 Asia and Australia/New Zealand season is cancelled with a hope to restart perhaps in October/November of 2021.

Please note the last line which give a hint how current this news is.

If by chance the "Revolution" refit is done before the proposed Alaska Cruise season in 2021 then think of that as a bonus. If it is not done don't be disappointed, Eclipse is still a beautiful ship.

3 hours ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

Can anyone tell me if you have to buy passes to the Spa?  I didn't see anything about it on my cruise planner, but maybe that is because we haven't made final payment?  How much do they usually run?  We really enjoy the Thermal Suite on NCL, so hoping it is a similar, wonderful experience!  (And fingers crossed that we are back to cruising with gusto by then!)

Yes, you will have to purchase a spa  pass.  Aqua class includes spa access.

Cheers!

On 10/8/2020 at 7:33 AM, flarad said:

Help, trying to decide what to book for May/June 2021. We were booked on Solstice last June so we have a credit. DH is now eyeing the Eclipse instead. We’ve cruised the Solstice in the past but he’s concerned she’s getting old and missed her dry dock. I don’t know anything about the Eclipse, cruising out of Vancouver or that itinerary. Anything you can say about it would be welcome. 

We loved Vancouver and spent a week there prior to our NCL cruise one way to Seward.

We did NCL because Celebrity doesn't do Glacier Bay.   Glad we didn't miss that.  Hubbard Glacier is great, as well.

On  a TransPacific cruise that ended in Seattle, we spent two days there prior to flying home.  In 2018, Seattle was nice up to a point.   Didn't like all the homeless people camped out right next to the streets in the downtown area.   I would not want to visit Seattle now.

• Thanks 1

Jumping in here.... I have not cruised to Alaska, however, I did want to add to the conversation about Vancouver Island/Victoria.

If anyone is planning time on the island pre or post cruise, while Victoria is a fantastic city and if your vacation time permits, I would suggest the drive to Tofino! ( You may also fly from Vancouver on smaller airlines weather permitting.) Amazing northern surfing town with laid back vibe!  We have stayed at the Wickaninnish Inn in Tofino and I highly recommend.  We did a kayak tour across to some small islands and inlets and it was incredible.  Our walks on the beach at the Wick Inn were amazing.  Great restaurant on site, plus check out the Wolf in the Fog restaurant in town! Fantastic.  Again, Victoria is wonderful, but if you venture further there is another world awaiting!  Happy and safe travels.

Pam

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Dr. Pam for pointing out that there is much to see on Vancouver Island. Tofino is a wonderful funky town on the west coast of Vancouver Island. If you have time do visit there make the trip, but you must be aware that it is a 6 hour drive from Victoria to Tofino.

As I have said before a few hours in Victoria is barely enough to do anything. Assuming things get back to normal I would suggest that a nice itinerary for our American neighbours would be to fly in to Seattle a couple days before you cruise out of Vancouver is set to sail, take the Victoria Clipper from Seattle to Victoria and spend a day here in Victoria. There is an early morning bus that connects directly to the Vancouver Cruise ship terminal and you luggage will be checked direct from the bus to your cabin on board your ship. This could be too much trouble for some but Victoria is a great place to visit and needs more than a few hours.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 1:50 PM, mimbecky said:

Read this post after lifting and shifting out of Seattle.  Too late now so I guess we will be staying the night there before the cruise.  Any suggestions on what areas to stay?  I did want to see the glass factory and a few things there but not if that is where the unrest is.  So sad.

M

Chihuly Garden and Glass is really nice. I want to say the best time is late in the day. The outdoor glass art is lite up at night. Now where to stay before the cruise. The Lower Queen Anne area. You are close to Seattle center/ Chihuly Garden and Glass, access to the Seattle Monorail and Olympic Sculpture Park. You are also close Pier 91. Pike Street Market is nice to see. Do check out Post Ally area. Other nice areas of Seattle and a little more out of downtown are Green Lake or Wallingford.

I'm hoping things will get better in Seattle by spring. More problems in Seattle just the other day.

Edited by bigbenboys
spelling
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2020 at 1:50 PM, mimbecky said:

M

Check out Kerry Park. Its about halfway up Queen Anne Hill, great view of Seattle and Puget Sound.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for all the valuable information. Because of some of the recommendations in this post - inside passage, longer port times, hopeful refurbish- I just booked on the Eclipse, Vancouver cruise the end of May. Hoping we’ll be cruising. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, flarad said:

Thanks everyone for all the valuable information. Because of some of the recommendations in this post - inside passage, longer port times, hopeful refurbish- I just booked on the Eclipse, Vancouver cruise the end of May. Hoping we’ll be cruising. 

Enjoy your cruise, we did that cruise in June of 2019 and it was very pleasant, the inside passage is very scenic and the waters calm. There was a noticeable increase in motion as we cleared Vancouver Island, which lasted for a few hours then it calmed down again. If you have the time do visit Vancouver Island maybe overnight if you can.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks @Dr. Pam for pointing out that there is much to see on Vancouver Island. Tofino is a wonderful funky town on the west coast of Vancouver Island. If you have time do visit there make the trip, but you must be aware that it is a 6 hour drive from Victoria to Tofino.

As I have said before a few hours in Victoria is barely enough to do anything. Assuming things get back to normal I would suggest that a nice itinerary for our American neighbours would be to fly in to Seattle a couple days before you cruise out of Vancouver is set to sail, take the Victoria Clipper from Seattle to Victoria and spend a day here in Victoria. There is an early morning bus that connects directly to the Vancouver Cruise ship terminal and you luggage will be checked direct from the bus to your cabin on board your ship. This could be too much trouble for some but Victoria is a great place to visit and needs more than a few hours.

Agree Victoria is a beautiful city, its too bad you only get a few hours there.   We saw the Victoria Clipper while we were there and it does look interesting.  I have also read on this board that the train trip from Seattle to Vancouver is quite nice.   

5 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Agree Victoria is a beautiful city, its too bad you only get a few hours there.   We saw the Victoria Clipper while we were there and it does look interesting.  I have also read on this board that the train trip from Seattle to Vancouver is quite nice.   

We have been thinking about doing the Clipper for some time but haven't gotten around to it. That will have to wait for a bit now, we will see what the new year brings.

20 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Now where to stay before the cruise. The Lower Queen Anne area. You are close to Seattle center/ Chihuly Garden and Glass, access to the Seattle Monorail and Olympic Sculpture Park. You are also close Pier 91. Pike Street Market is nice to see. Do check out Post Ally area.

15 hours ago, TeaBag said:

We liked the Marriott Waterfront

I assume these area are not near the unrest?  At least for now.....