The Daily for Thursday Oct 15, 2020

richwmn

Greetings to all!   I again want to thank all of you for including Matt and Laura on the prayer list.  It is working.   Symptoms remain mild and they are nearing the end of their quarantine.  They plan to be retested early next week.  Let's hope for a negative result!

Great news for Mrs. VMax.   I hope she has has a full and speedy recovery.   Still hoping for good news for Jacqui's sister.  

• Like 8

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Indeed she is!  Moved into Recovery at about 12 noon local (7am ET). Due to Covid, no visiting is permitted, however the sugeon called me to say that all went to plan and she would be moved from Recovery in the next few minutes. 👍

Thanks everyone for the prayers and thoughts.

Global Handwashing Day is so relevant in these times, I wonder is there a Global Mask Wearing Day???

Breast Health Day is specially significant to us.  Girls, get 'em checked! 

Very good news, indeed 🙂. Sounds promising for the future.  Hope she recovers well and quickly.🤞 🙏🏻 

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Good morning all!  Thanks Rich, Roy and all who contribute!

@kazu I’ll hope your peppers ripen, thanks for remembering.  How are you doing with the shingles?  Hope your sister is improving! 

I do have a few seeds but I am afraid those peppers weren’t mature enough and want more.  Hopefully the chilies will humour me.  I’ve tried to preserve them through the cold nights and moved them inside when I had to. Shingles are pretty good, thanks.  Just one aggravating spot but it’s not causing major issues 😉. Thanks for the kind wishes for my sister.  Haven’t heard from her yet today but she had her covid test and that takes time.

@VMax1700hoping and praying your DW heals quickly!  It’s not fun having surgery any time but this year it sure adds another layer!  

Thanks for the wishes for me to keep the s word  to myself.  Well we had 5 cm yesterday which is gone today so we will scurry around putting the garden to bed today as 10 cm are predicted tomorrow!  Good thing we put the s word tires on yesterday 🤷‍♀️

LOL I was teasing on the s word.  I consider it a swear word when the stuff appears too soon.  We’re putting our s tires on next week 😞

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

the packing ( which took weeks) center Ed around layers and a new Gala plan. I took a pair of swishy, pleated palazzo pants and three light Gala tops. As we went, I bought new Gala tops as both wardrobe additions and pretty souvenirs. Unfortunately, David made use of the space I saved to pack three full suits, his tuxedo, and all the accessories for all the above. He easily had twice the luggage I did!

Thanks.  LOL sounds like we have something in common with our DH’s.  Definitely mine uses more of the luggage than I do 😉 

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I found this while unpacking my GWV luggage.

Despite it’s bold claims, I’m afraid this pamphlet did NOT adequately prepare me for the 2020 experience!😉

65F0A059-667F-4B5D-937B-C3FF58005B55.jpeg

I don’t think anything could have prepared you for the 2020 Grand Voyage experience 😱 😳 😉 

• Like 6

Hmmm. I think that Global Handwashing Day should be every day!  I love Roy's promotion of the public keeping those without sight safe on White Cane Safety Day.  I'm not a fan of black bean soup, so I'll pass on that one, but Roy's alternate menu sounds good.

So glad to here that MrsVMax is doing well. We wish her a speedy recovery!

Very dull and misty here today. And it was definitely chilly when we went to get the mail.

Blessings to all! Prayers for those who need them and cheers for the celebrations.

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask.

• Like 6

@kazu. Glad you are doing mostly ok, it takes time, my DH had it.  Don’t worry too much about The Peppers .  DH tried to poison me with some scorching chipotle pepper chicken.  🥵

No worries!  It’s a four letter word here too!  Usually we leave for part of the winter, my joke  is that is how we survive the winter,  but this year who knows? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@kazu. Glad you are doing mostly ok, it takes time, my DH had it.  Don’t worry too much about The Peppers .  DH tried to poison me with some scorching chipotle pepper chicken.  🥵

No worries!  It’s a four letter word here too!  Usually we leave for part of the winter, my joke  is that is how we survive the winter,  but this year who knows? 

I wonder if a number of Canadians will be heading to Vancouver and Victoria for the toughest part of winter this year.  Probably not a real option for the Atlantic Bubble.

Roy

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I am nothing if not determined.  I have a few seeds but I’m aiming for more mature ones (and some more peppers for DH).  

Tell your DH there’s a special place for people that try to poison people with hot peppers that are susceptible 😉 

18 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I’m very much afraid we’re all just going to be hunkering down watching the snow.  I hope I am wrong.  Time will tell.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder if a number of Canadians will be heading to Vancouver and Victoria for the toughest part of winter this year.  Probably not a real option for the Atlantic Bubble.

Roy

It’s definitely not an option for those of us in the Atlantic Bubble.  West Jet has suspended flights here as it’s so hard for people to “get in” (or so they claim).

We’ve always hunkered down for winter and had a spring cruise to look forward to when we thought we could get out (snow storm worries 😉 ) but next year, there is no spring cruise so I guess the kitchen and living room will turn into another greenhouse 😉 

Unless things change, we’ll have to wait until November 😞 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marmot@Sea said:

Good Morning.

Yes please to the Long Island Ice tea, especially on a warm summer's day.

Here is a link to the Nieuw Statendam in Southhampton.

Val

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9oawm2_4DM

The Zaandam maiden call was posted in the daily several days ago.  It was also the maiden call for the Volendam, making all 3 of the ships that transferred from Scheveningen.  I suspect one of these days the Westerdam will make a reprovisioning stop there; not sure if that will be a maiden call.  Here's the Volendam:

Roy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I have heard rumours that the campsites are filling up.

Val

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Well one of those places is an island, but on a February visit there was a nasty s word storm and it was freezing.   We have family in Vancouver and my mother used to always complain about the cold when she visited.   It does get the dreadful damp bone chilling,   But it also gets flowers In February . We get extreme cold but it’s a dry cold🥶

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I am nothing if not determined.  I have a few seeds but I’m aiming for more mature ones (and some more peppers for DH).  

Tell your DH there’s a special place for people that try to poison people with hot peppers that are susceptible 😉 

I’m very much afraid we’re all just going to be hunkering down watching the snow.  I hope I am wrong.  Time will tell.

I told him, lol!    I’m afraid you are right, but starting tomorrow, eek!   I’m not cancelling my Hawaii flights yet!  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

A year ago today we were winging our way toward Rome to meet up with Koningsdam.  I watched this screen for most of the overnight flight, (I do not sleep on flights, I have to help supervise the pilot)...IMG_1388.thumb.jpeg.88f3c780a89b9cb8081b6b26359f030a.jpeg

Totally understand.

I’m sure you’ve noticed how young the pilots have become  these days.😱

(Seems the same with is happening with physicians, and many others...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I told him, lol!    I’m afraid you are right, but starting tomorrow, eek!   I’m not cancelling my Hawaii flights yet!  

LOL - good for you and make sure he knows I mean it 😉 

I don’t blame you - stay optimistic.  Who knows what happens.  I hope you can get to Hawaii 🤞 

• Like 2

Good evening everyone! Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

Black bean soup isn’t a favorite of mine but Trader Joe’s has a good version that I’ve tried and I liked. 

All the talk about cold weather and the s word has me shivering in my air conditioned house. I was raised in cold weather and I know I would have a really hard time if I had to move back. It’s amazing how our bodies acclimate and we get used to something. 

Glad to hear Mrs VMax is doing well. Jacqui, so good to know your shingles are better and I hope your family members feel better soon. I have a book club that I join off and on (via Zoom) and today someone mentioned they are sick and the first Covid test was negative but that can happen in the early stages. 

And yes, don’t forget your mammogram!  I worked for a radiology company and I couldn’t believe how many women avoided annual screenings. (We had to keep track of their last screening for comparison.)

Have a great evening everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 4

Glad surgery went well for MrsVMax!  I had my mammo last month and it was within all safety protocols, as far as I could tell.  @rafinmd, thank you for honoring my request.  

I made a potato soup yesterday, so will be eating it for days.  I have a black bean soup recipe I want to try. Maybe a day when the s word arrives.  Those of us in fire country would welcome it—s word that is!

Have a nice evening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well one of those places is an island, but on a February visit there was a nasty s word storm and it was freezing.   We have family in Vancouver and my mother used to always complain about the cold when she visited.   It does get the dreadful damp bone chilling,   But it also gets flowers In February . We get extreme cold but it’s a dry cold🥶

IMG_1582.JPG
We were in Victoria that February 2018 and here is the picture. We loved our two months in Victoria but won’t do it again. Lovely flowers early, the cherry blossoms were gorgeous, but just not warm enough to go again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, rafinmd said:

The Zaandam maiden call was posted in the daily several days ago.  It was also the maiden call for the Volendam, making all 3 of the ships that transferred from Scheveningen.  I suspect one of these days the Westerdam will make a reprovisioning stop there; not sure if that will be a maiden call.  Here's the Volendam:

Roy

Roy:  I enjoyed watching the Nieuw Statendam arriving.  I was on her twice in her maiden year.  Once as a passenger and once as a Chaplain.  I preferred being a passenger on this one. 

• Thanks 1