So you came back to the port late and the ship left but your small children are in the ship's childcare center

fstuff1

My statement is pure speculation, based on what I've read.

Personally, I can't imagine bringing my kids on a cruise to leave them in the kids club while we left the ship. If I did, I would only do it for a ship's excursion, or if I wasn't leaving the port area.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Per NCL policy at least 1 authorized pick up person (adult) must remain onboard the ship while in port.

This makes sense......What if a child became ill?  I for one would never leave my kids onboard while I was off the ship.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Per NCL policy at least 1 authorized pick up person (adult) must remain onboard the ship while in port.

So, NCL has a policy in place for just this sort of thing. This really makes the whole made-up scenario that is the thread topic moot.

Makes you wonder if the OP was serious, or if the opportunity to stir the pot was simply too tempting.

35 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

So, NCL has a policy in place for just this sort of thing. This really makes the whole made-up scenario that is the thread topic moot.

Makes you wonder if the OP was serious, or if the opportunity to stir the pot was simply too tempting.

Probably just bored with nothing to do because of Covid. LOL!

But seriously, there would be a HUGE liability issue with having minors on a ship without a responsible adult present nearby. That's why this scenario will never happen.

• Like 1

Thank you DaCruiseBug for posting the NCL policy. So much speculating by everyone. As long as the other responsible adult knows that the parents are leaving the ship, I see nothing wrong with parents going ashore. If they venture out of the port area, a ship sponsored excursion would provide some peace of mind, since the ships almost always wait for them to return. Some kids will have more fun if left in the care of the crazy Uncle or fun Aunt than they would with their parents. LOL Not to mention Grandparents who may spoil them!

18 hours ago, bobsfamily said:

On Carnival ships in the past (10-15 years ago) there were some offers to go on an excursion (thru the ship) that included the kids staying onboard while the adults go on an "adult" themed excursion... usually involving drinking. It was always booked full...  I guess they were pretty sure the excursion would get all the adults back on time.

We sailed on Carnival in 1990, kids were 8 and 11 at the time, so we read all the kids/youth program materials.

The offered daycare during port days, and both parents could leave the ship.  Extra paperwork was required, which also granted staff permission to the stateroom if needed.  I don't think there was an extra charge for the normal daytime care. 

If the parents missed sail-away, a babysitter from the youth program would take the kids back to their stateroom, order room service for dinner, and stay with the kids there.  The parents would be charged several hundred bucks per child.  I don't remember specifically, but I assume that the staff member would take the kids back to the daycare center when it opened in the morning.  No idea what would happen if the parents didn't catch up in time for debarkation at the end of the cruise.

As an aside, they also offered an overnight event for the 8-12 year-olds, which mine attended.  Think it as $35 or $50 per, and they stayed up all night.  Went to the galley and made sculptures out of cut fruit, visited the bridge, went to the theater and got to check out the light/sound boards and backstage areas, and had some sort of war with pool noodles.  They were delivered to our cabin at 7:30am, exhausted, and snoozed away half the sea-day.

12 minutes ago, Sue Do-Over said:

We sailed on Carnival in 1990, kids were 8 and 11 at the time, so we read all the kids/youth program materials.

The offered daycare during port days, and both parents could leave the ship.  Extra paperwork was required, which also granted staff permission to the stateroom if needed.  I don't think there was an extra charge for the normal daytime care. 

If the parents missed sail-away, a babysitter from the youth program would take the kids back to their stateroom, order room service for dinner, and stay with the kids there.  The parents would be charged several hundred bucks per child.  I don't remember specifically, but I assume that the staff member would take the kids back to the daycare center when it opened in the morning.  No idea what would happen if the parents didn't catch up in time for debarkation at the end of the cruise.

As an aside, they also offered an overnight event for the 8-12 year-olds, which mine attended.  Think it as $35 or $50 per, and they stayed up all night.  Went to the galley and made sculptures out of cut fruit, visited the bridge, went to the theater and got to check out the light/sound boards and backstage areas, and had some sort of war with pool noodles.  They were delivered to our cabin at 7:30am, exhausted, and snoozed away half the sea-day.

Yep, I knew it was a while ago... back when people took responsibility for what they did. We did the overnight thing and they loved it! Carnival was both laid back and "fancy" back then.  Wore a tux to dinner but shorts/flip flops during the day and late evening. 

2 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

But seriously, there would be a HUGE liability issue with having minors on a ship without a responsible adult present nearby. That's why this scenario will never happen.

I know this is the NCL board and maybe it can't happen on NCL but MSC has the option to leave the children alone on the ship.

This is an translation from MSCs Swedish March 2020-May 2021 brochure:

"Parents who wish to do their own excursion on shore can leave the children ( between 3 and 11 years old ) with our staff which will entertain them."  

3 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

image.jpeg.9d119567f142694ddd02dd33c5508baf.jpeg

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I know this is the NCL board and maybe it can't happen on NCL but MSC has the option to leave the children alone on the ship.

This is an translation from MSCs Swedish March 2020-May 2021 brochure:

"Parents who wish to do their own excursion on shore can leave the children ( between 3 and 11 years old ) with our staff which will entertain them."  

Yeahhhh.....no.

MSC Conditions of Carriage:
https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/conditionsofcarriage2020.pdf?la=en-us&hash=E8DB80782679E7B4F7916F265149FFD68AFB7C9E

Section 14.3 states -

"Children cannot remain onboard if their parents or guardians go ashore"

1 hour ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Yeahhhh.....no.

MSC Conditions of Carriage:
https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/conditionsofcarriage2020.pdf?la=en-us&hash=E8DB80782679E7B4F7916F265149FFD68AFB7C9E

Section 14.3 states -

"Children cannot remain onboard if their parents or guardians go ashore"

"unless expressly authorized by the on board staff".

So the children can remain onboard if it's authorized.

I don't know why you say no when the document you are refering to clearly say yes. 

On 10/18/2020 at 8:50 PM, mconthehighseas said:

Children left in day care or camp while parents are ashore is certainly allowed.

If you would leave your child with a babysitter or at day care while you go to dinner or work at home, this is the same thing.

Parents are expected to make it back to the ship on time. If they can't, they call the ship's agent on land, and arrangements are made.

If any extra charges are incurred,  I'm guessing those are covered by the family.

Never known a child day care centre sail off to another destination, but then it’s 45 years since our child attended one so what do I know?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Oh boy, a tempest in a teapot just like the good old days on CC.  The only thing easier than raising other people's children is spending other people's money 🙂

NCL offers childcare while the ship is in port.    Childcare is at a cost per hour by a babysitter but its in the kids club,  the babysitters are the Kids Club staff and they have activities just like the regular kids club only with a smaller number of kids.    I can assure you both parents leave the ship and its not uncommon, that's why the babysitting service on port days exists.   

I think what is uncommon, very uncommon is parents not returning in time and even almost unheard of would be parents missing the ship.    Ive been on the ships many times where departure was delayed for various reasons.    I would think this reason would be a #1 reason for delaying the ships departure.   

Per the NCL website, in answer to the question "Can I leave my children on board while I am in port?"

Yes, unless you are given a handy phone* at least 1 authorized pick up person must remain onboard in case the staff or child needs your assistance.

Handy phones or pagers will be given out for the following reasons:

*Pagers and handy phones do not work in port while the ship is docked. Therefore, on port days pagers and handy phones will be issued if your child is in diapers or needs assistance with the bathroom and at least one parent/authorized pick-up person is required to stay on board.

Youth Program Manager reserves the right to issue a handy phone or pager to parents if the situation with the child requires parent/pick-up person assistance.

If a handy phone or pager is issued to you and your child is signed into the program, not responding to a page or call within 15 minutes will result in a $75.00 fee and your child will be dismissed from the program.

If a handy phone or pager is issued a fee of $150.00 will be applied to your onboard account if the device is not returned or if it is returned broken.

This policy is in place for the safety of your child and not to cause any inconvenience.

Edited by The Traveling Man

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

Per the NCL website, in answer to the question "Can I leave my children on board while I am in port?"

Yes, unless you are given a handy phone* at least 1 authorized pick up person must remain onboard in case the staff or child needs your assistance.

Handy phones or pagers will be given out for the following reasons:

*Pagers and handy phones do not work in port while the ship is docked. Therefore, on port days pagers and handy phones will be issued if your child is in diapers or needs assistance with the bathroom and at least one parent/authorized pick-up person is required to stay on board.

Youth Program Manager reserves the right to issue a handy phone or pager to parents if the situation with the child requires parent/pick-up person assistance.

If a handy phone or pager is issued to you and your child is signed into the program, not responding to a page or call within 15 minutes will result in a $75.00 fee and your child will be dismissed from the program.

If a handy phone or pager is issued a fee of $150.00 will be applied to your onboard account if the device is not returned or if it is returned broken.

This policy is in place for the safety of your child and not to cause any inconvenience.

I'm actually surprised by NCL's policy above. So, a parent or authorized pick up person must remain on board only if issued a pager or handy phone. And, pagers and handy phones are issued if your child is in diapers or needs assistance with the bathroom (or a situation with a child requires parent/pick up person assistance).

Even if allowed by NCL, I still wouldn't do it with my child(ren) for the reason I stated in my previous post.

1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

I'm actually surprised by NCL's policy above. So, a parent or authorized pick up person must remain on board only if issued a pager or handy phone. And, pagers and handy phones are issued if your child is in diapers or needs assistance with the bathroom (or a situation with a child requires parent/pick up person assistance).

Even if allowed by NCL, I still wouldn't do it with my child(ren) for the reason I stated in my previous post.

Howdy,

I interpret a bit differently.  It seems to say that you have to leave an adult on board unless NCL has a means of contacting you by phone or pager.  Even then, you have a limited amount of time to respond and attend to your child.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect that the concept is similar to a resort: the parents want to go see something which they know the kids aren't interested in - the agreement would be (grand parents, aunts & uncles, etc as guardians) accept responsibility for the kids while parents are away and if, for some reason parents don't return... guardians take care of the kids until parents are made available. 

I'm sure it happens... hopefully only once in a blue moon.... didn't we have a couple of those year?.... 

Cheers 🥂 ;)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Since when does NCL babysit diapered children? They don’t have nurseries and don’t help children use the bathroom.

11 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Howdy,

I interpret a bit differently.  It seems to say that you have to leave an adult on board unless NCL has a means of contacting you by phone or pager.  Even then, you have a limited amount of time to respond and attend to your child.

See the source image

Thanks @The Traveling Man .  I think I read it "sideways", lol. But, here's another confusing part of the policy:

16 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

"Can I leave my children on board while I am in port?"

16 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

14 hours ago, farmersfight said:

*Pagers and handy phones do not work in port while the ship is docked.

You are not leaving an authorized pick up person on board and are leaving your children on board while you go into port. Makes sense that NCL would have to have a means of contacting you by phone or pager (as you said).

But, "Pagers and handy phones do not work in port while the ship is docked"? This doesn't make sense?

10 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I suspect that the concept is similar to a resort: the parents want to go see something which they know the kids aren't interested in - the agreement would be (grand parents, aunts & uncles, etc as guardians) accept responsibility for the kids while parents are away and if, for some reason parents don't return... guardians take care of the kids until parents are made available. 

I'm sure it happens... hopefully only once in a blue moon.... didn't we have a couple of those year?.... 

Cheers 🥂😉

Roger, got this part. But, if the parents don't leave such guardian (authorized pick up person) on board while they are in port, they have to have an NCL issued pager or handy phone. But, "pagers and handy phones do not work in port while the ship is docked"? Whaaa? (I'm confused...).

Lots of spec here.   Don't think the OP was reporting on an actual event.  Just worryworting.

As far as Caracas excursion.  I think the ship made a good choice.  Even back in 1985, Caracas wasn't a place for kids to running around.  Adults either for that matter.